Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The Peccadillo posted:

What was similar to Titanic that middled it?

What does this sentence mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think it's in response to catfish saying Titanic was just one of a series of similar movies around the same time and peccadillo wants examples.

Personally I think Titanic is the one with the overall bigger cultural impact, that fuckin Kenny G and Celine Dion song is still a mainstay.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
One thing about Titanic too is that Leo and Kate Winslet are still extremely relevant, huge movie stars. There will be people who will go back and watch Titanic in the years to come just because they want to see their earlier films. Nobody even really remembers who's in Avatar, nobody cares about Sam Worthington or Zoe Saldana.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
note i'm not saying anything about quality, I think Titanic is the better film of the two by far.

that said, it's an original property, it's pretty frankly sexual for TV-PG, and it's marketed to a broad range of normal people without being afraid that e.g. marketing to women is going to scare all the dudes away. it's operating in the same cultural moment as, like, Jerry Maguire or Patch Adams.

conversely everything Avatar was up against at the box office was nerd franchise poo poo, almost all of it either literally for children or nominally for adults but weirdly chaste (e.g. Twilight). Avatar's still sci-fi but it feels like a throwback to a different kind of blockbuster filmmaking compared to Harry Potter 4 or the Star Trek reboot, where Titanic just took a combination of sentimentality, spectacle, and star power that was everywhere in the late 90s and did an outstanding job with it

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 14, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MacheteZombie posted:

Gripweed pretending not to know the turtles only to drop the deep cut lore

I read the comics where the Turtles live in a mutant neighborhood and just go to punk shows and teach self defense and there’s no actual ninja stuff a few years back. I really liked them but from what I read online they aren’t representative of the wider franchise so I didn’t go any deeper at the time.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is titanic a James Cameron movie or a Leo movie

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's a bit hard to say because boxoffice inflation makes it a poor metric of how many actual eyeballs have seen a movie in theatres. But since Titanic has been on repeat on TV solidly for a quarter century it's probably got the edge

They did a rerelease of Titanic last year and it made 70 mil worldwide, which by rerelease standards is p big. The Avatar rerelease in 2022 did about 76 mil worldwide and that was no doubt helped by the leadup to the second movie coming out later that year.

It's a pretty close competition!

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
movies shmovies James Cameron's best work was when he walked into that office and wrote Alien$ on a blackboard

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

MacheteZombie posted:

Gripweed pretending not to know the turtles only to drop the deep cut lore

A very 2009 posting style to be sure.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Fat Lou posted:

I need a fast reply for a debate "If someone asked you to name James Cameron’s most notable movie what would you say"

Over 50: Aliens
Over 40: Terminator 2
Over 30: Titanic
Over 20: Avatar

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

Over titanic?

yeah honestly. Terminator might be over Titanic too though, just for being like the Arnold role.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Finally a final version of Gústi the Strong vs The Merman (2024, dir. Me)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQu4jN05IH4

Now to waste lots of money submitting to festivals and also try to get a meeting with a production company to pitch a tv show based on it.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 14, 2024

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Awesome, I hope you get this placed!

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It always bothered me that Leonardo isn't the one who "does machines".

Baron von Eevl posted:

Personally I think Titanic is the one with the overall bigger cultural impact, that fuckin Kenny G and Celine Dion song is still a mainstay.

Not only that but it's like the proverbial blockbuster movie behind Jaws. The Terminator movies are both very impactful but do not have quite the same all-around appeal that made Titanic such a phenomenon.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it sucks but i kinda feel like it's unambiguously Avatar

I feel like for people over the age of 30, it is Titanic. For people under the age of 30, it is Avatar.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Over 50: Aliens
Over 40: Terminator 2
Over 30: Titanic
Over 20: Avatar

Or if you want to get more precise, its probably closer to this.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

what are some classic lines from Avatar?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jay Rust posted:

"It's Eywa-ing Time!"

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Jay Rust posted:

JAKE SULLY

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it sucks but i kinda feel like it's unambiguously Avatar

I sorta feel like the use of cgi in Terminator 2 (and Jurassic Park) had more influence, but I could see an argument being made for the advances in motion capture done with Avatar was a bigger deal.

Edit: On the other hand, Arnold Schwarzenegger became a star with Terminator and that stardom eventually lead him to being in Governor of the fifth largest economy in the world, so in terms political importance I guess it'd be the first Terminator.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 14, 2024

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

“That’ll be $30, please”

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Basebf555 posted:

One thing about Titanic too is that Leo and Kate Winslet are still extremely relevant, huge movie stars. There will be people who will go back and watch Titanic in the years to come just because they want to see their earlier films. Nobody even really remembers who's in Avatar, nobody cares about Sam Worthington or Zoe Saldana.

I care about Zoe Saldana.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kate Winslet was also in Avatar 2 and Leo is probably gonna be in Avatar 3

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Basebf555 posted:

Joel David Moore :colbert:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Leo is not working on that nonsense

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i could use a little Joel David Less, personally

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Kate Winslet was also in Avatar 2 and Leo is probably gonna be in Avatar 3

Yeah, but Titanic is the reason people know her name, not Avatar 2. Sigourney Weaver was in Avatar 1, people knew who she was before Avatar.

I would think people who know who Zoe Saldana is would name either Star Trek or Guardians of the Galaxy if asked to name a movie she was in before Avatar. Avatar made so much money because the 3d jacked up prices and everyone in the world saw it within like a month after it came out. Titanic made so much money because it was in theaters for like half a year and a lot of people saw it a dozen times (this is purely anecdotal evidence, based on conversations with my girl classmates in middle school).

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've never seen Avatar

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but Titanic is the reason people know her name, not Avatar 2

[citation needed]

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

“I think I’m getting a migraine - how much longer is this?”

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
"now this is podracing" - Jakesully

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Notability in terms of merit? That's Cameron's best film, Terminator 1.

Notability in terms of actual attention received? I'mma say probably still Titanic

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Zoe Saldana probably has a higher overall box office total than Leo and Kate combined.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Zoe Saldana probably has a higher overall box office total than Leo and Kate combined.

Only if you don't adjust for inflation.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Air Skwirl posted:

I sorta feel like the use of cgi in Terminator 2 (and Jurassic Park) had more influence, but I could see an argument being made for the advances in motion capture done with Avatar was a bigger deal.

Edit: On the other hand, Arnold Schwarzenegger became a star with Terminator and that stardom eventually lead him to being in Governor of the fifth largest economy in the world, so in terms political importance I guess it'd be the first Terminator.

Yeah, I mean this conversation is heavily reliant on which metrics you're using.

If you're doing a Billy Eichner style run up to people on the street and ask them to quickly name a James Cameron film for a dollar, you'll probably be mostly split between Avatar and Titanic, mostly on generational lines.

If you're asking a round table of film enthusiasts/scholars/critics which James Cameron film they think is most influential to the medium of film, that's a different conversation entirely.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If you're doing adjusted domestic gross Saldana's top 3 movies are pretty much neck and neck with double Titanic's adjusted domestic gross, but Avatar made absolutely bonkers money overseas so that's going to weigh it a bit if you had a way to adjust global box office for inflation. Saldana starred in the three highest international grossing movies of all time.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

One day they'll let her use her normal skin colour

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Jay Rust posted:

One day they'll let her use her normal skin colour

She should do the entire rainbow

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jay Rust posted:

"We just connect our tails like this. Now kiss me"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
FYI if you're an AAA24 member, they're screening the Lighthouse for free today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
My point there was just that DiCaprio and Winslet became A-list stars and maintained that status for multiple decades. So I feel like Titanic gets a boost in terms of staying power because of that. In the years to come people will be going back and revisiting their careers in a way that isn't the case for anyone involved in Avatar. And I don't think when people show their kids and grandkids Sigourney Weaver movies that Avatar would make the short list.