Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Concept pitch: Ye Olde Gamer Theatre

It's like a regular theater except half of the stage is taken up by a big screen that displays all of the characters' dialogue. You can read Hamlet's entire soliloquy by the time he's only 1/4 of the way through giving it, and then play Angry Birds on your phone or something while he catches up.

Minmaxing Othello

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Waltzing Along posted:

You were playing it wrong.

I mean, unless you wanted to be a dipshit loser. Then that was your choice.

I don’t want to be a dipshit loser. I want to look at the dipshit loser.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

fridge corn posted:

Why would I bother going to see a production of hamlet

An excellent question

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Richard III & Knuckles

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
A Midsummer's Night's Dreamcast

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I never skipped the narrator voiceovers in DE even if it was my second playthrough because his voice is like smooth buttery velvet, caressing my ear holes and gliding over my brain. What a voice!

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

All of the performances in DE are excellent but yeah the main narrator is particularly good to listen to

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
The Comedy of Arwings

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Disco Pope posted:

lol this is the one

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

"This is an important form of artistic expression" is what I say when I install Skyrim nude mods

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

the death of the Myth games after 2 and its disaster launch made me very sad, I loved them

I played 3, it wasn't good enough to call itself Myth

Whoa didn't realize this was them and looking it up its a game I always forget existed until I see it, but really liked. Do these hold up?

I basically ignored all my friends at a sleepover once to keep playing Myth or Myth 2 on their computer (that they were allowed to have in their room even) while they played whatever multiplayer console games. I never got it at home, but I can resolve that now if it's worth the time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Speaking of myths, where are the Black and White spiritual sequels and knock offs?

They're doing another Civ right, which feels pointless what're they gonna do change the shape again, make turns take longer with nonsense like leave it alone. Instead, take an existing Civ and add a giant unruly demigod Cow you need to train like a dog to be good, or bad, and it stomps around tearing things up or making you new forests with their fertilizer.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Khanstant posted:

Speaking of myths, where are the Black and White spiritual sequels and knock offs?

They're doing another Civ right, which feels pointless what're they gonna do change the shape again, make turns take longer with nonsense like leave it alone. Instead, take an existing Civ and add a giant unruly demigod Cow you need to train like a dog to be good, or bad, and it stomps around tearing things up or making you new forests with their fertilizer.

B&W where tragically never good games, but rather fun toys for playing with and teaching your animal. When it came to the actual business of conquering enemy towns and such things kinda fell apart. Well at the least the first game was, I don't know anyone who played the second.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

WELLLLL WE GOt THIS NOTION THAT WE'D QUITE LIKE TO SAIL THE OCEAN SO WE'RE BUILDIN' A BIG BOAT TO LEAVE HERE FOR GOOD

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

WELLLLL WE GOt THIS NOTION THAT WE'D QUITE LIKE TO SAIL THE OCEAN SO WE'RE BUILDIN' A BIG BOAT TO LEAVE HERE FOR GOOD

WE'RE NOT KEEN ON SINKING SO THAT'S WHY WE'RE SITTING HERE A THINKING CAUSE WE BUILT I TOO BIG AND WE RAN OUT OF WOOD

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Vic posted:

WE'RE NOT KEEN ON SINKING SO THAT'S WHY WE'RE SITTING HERE A THINKING CAUSE WE BUILT I TOO BIG AND WE RAN OUT OF WOOD

AYY DE LAY DE LEE... AYY DE LAY DE LEE...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Vic posted:

fyi I can push this button right here and ban you both forever, I barely even have to move my finger

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

sebmojo posted:

fyi I can push this button right here and ban you both forever, I barely even have to move my finger

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I thought it was pretty good :shrug:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

lmao

Vakal
May 11, 2008
As fun as a new Black and White would be, I think I would be more interested to see what a Giants: Citizen Kuboto remake would look like on a proper modern game engine.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Khanstant posted:

They're nowhere because Black and White sucked

Civ is a turned-based game so it's not really a good comparison for B&W, but if you want a Civ game with unruly monster factions/barbarians there are the Fall From Heaven mods for Civ 4, those ruled. There were also mods on top of those mods, and even another layer of mods on top of those (so a mod mod mod), and you could get Kitchen Sink levels of schlocky faction variety, including more than one faction that was kind of monster-oriented where your big boy may not always make the most convenient choices. A turn-based fantasy world that has Civilization levels of polish is really what I'd want, we don't get a lot of those. Endless Legend was supposed to be that but none of the Endless games ever clicked with me, for some reason it feels like their UI or something is completely repelling me, conceptually their games should be right up my ally but they're never fun (with the exception of Dungeon of the Endless, which ruled)

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Vakal posted:

As fun as a new Black and White would be, I think I would be more interested to see what a Giants: Citizen Kuboto remake would look like on a proper modern game engine.

Sorry did you say an open world game with bandit camps and towers? *slams the make game button*

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Disco Pope posted:

thread title imo

QuarkJets posted:

A turn-based fantasy world that has Civilization levels of polish is really what I'd want, we don't get a lot of those. Endless Legend was supposed to be that but none of the Endless games ever clicked with me, for some reason it feels like their UI or something is completely repelling me, conceptually their games should be right up my ally but they're never fun (with the exception of Dungeon of the Endless, which ruled)

What about Age of Wonders? I hadn't played one before 4, but I thought it was everything Endless Legend was trying to be lol. I wonder if that's the difficulty with the Endless games, they're trying really hard to be <other game> without being enough of themselves. That's partially the problem I had with Sea of Stars, come to think of it.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 14, 2024

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

Fur20 posted:

thread title imo

Seconded.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

black & white 2 was much better than 1 because at least you didnt have to do the same action over and over (with diminishing returns) to get new towns

granted that's a low bar. 1 was the first game that i ragequit when i got to the last level in the campaign because the enemy god shrunk your creature and you needed it big to carry stuff over or fight or do whatever else it needed to do

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 14, 2024

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I haven't ever tried Age of Wonders, that may be what I need; thanks Fur20

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Space Kablooey posted:

black & white 2 was much better than 1 because at least you didnt have to do the same action over and over (with diminishing returns) to get new towns

I liked launching rocks across the world and ignoring every other mechanic

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Khanstant posted:

Eh, Civ VI in its current form is pretty long in the tooth, and years of updates/expansions have made a lot of the systems rather convoluted. Started with a blank canvas to rebuild and streamline it isn't a bad idea. Plus, for the last couple Civ games, they've used the expansions to add major mechanics. If history is any guide, Civ 7 will be a rework of Civ VI plus all the post-release content, with a pair of expansions to add significant new functionality.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

jokes posted:

yeah BnW was a sandbox through and through and it rules for it but not much else

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

QuarkJets posted:

I haven't ever tried Age of Wonders, that may be what I need; thanks Fur20

The master of magic remaster is good, they just added hexes and prettied up the graphics.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i don't understand how people dislike black & white. i thought (almost) everything about it was so delightful and fun and enthralling. i spent dozens of hours in the first level alone. then again, there wasn't much of a point in playing the other ones.

i agree that they should have just let it be a sandbox/puzzle game and not bothered with the half baked rts elements. even so, my unpopular opinion is b&w is extremely good. like, one of the best games ever made

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Done

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

MSPain posted:

i don't understand how people dislike black & white. i thought (almost) everything about it was so delightful and fun and enthralling. i spent dozens of hours in the first level alone. then again, there wasn't much of a point in playing the other ones.

i agree that they should have just let it be a sandbox/puzzle game and not bothered with the half baked rts elements. even so, my unpopular opinion is b&w is extremely good. like, one of the best games ever made

Let's not go that far, the later levels were a slog to play through and they steal your pet too which is like half the gameplay gone. It then turns to a really tedious RTS with less mechanics than populous. You probably just experienced it at the right age of 10-15.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Vic posted:

Let's not go that far, the later levels were a slog to play through and they steal your pet too which is like half the gameplay gone. It then turns to a really tedious RTS with less mechanics than populous. You probably just experienced it at the right age of 10-15.

yup

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I never got to play B&W2 and it's impossible to get working on modern systems

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

jokes posted:

I liked throwing skeletons of my dead villagers into neighboring villages that weren't worshipping me as a way of letting them know they were next. I remember miraculous things you did would sway people to your cause. Sadly a skeleton dropping out of the sky into your central bonfire didn't seem to sway people very much. But hey I had a giant cow who would poo poo all over their children.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Also it would have been a much better game if it'd been sort of an adventure/puzzle solver than an RTS with one unit. The dudes who sang, the trainer lady who taught you how to use your pet, all the other silly little setpiece things were fun. It was dealing with the bullshit "battle" going on that really blew.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

"Worshippers need food"

"Worshippers need food"

"Worshipper need food"

gently caress you I'm not casting Miracle: Grain. Just eat somebody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

an entire forest barely gave enough wood for building a few farms even