Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Carthag Tuek posted:

sweet, gonna skip the caveats & download even more then!

but if you skipped them you wouldn't have the whole thing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caveat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

caveatse.cx

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

eightysixed posted:

I understand all of your points, and it makes total sense. :)
Having said all of that, I love my 10th Generation Paperwhite. :h:
I’m sort of an insomniac, so I can quietly read with no light at 3am and not disturb the girlfriend until it’s time to go back to sleep. v:shobon:v

Agreed, that’s one of the best things about e-readers yeah, I forgot. Probably the best, reading in absolute dark.

Shine on, 3am reader :cheers:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Heh I can do that with a regular book.
:goonsay:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Shine on, 3am reader :cheers:
:cheers:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I almost exclusively read on a kindle, and my library lends out books directly to it, which is pretty awesome.

ebook prices still being screwy is really the biggest problem, especially as kindle just uses epub format now.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I loooooove buying books at a sexond-hand book shop.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I loooooove buying books at a sexond-hand book shop.

:same:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Lockback posted:

I almost exclusively read on a kindle, and my library lends out books directly to it, which is pretty awesome.

How in the world does this work?
How do you “return” it or whatever?
Once it’s on the Kindle, don’t you sort of own it? :confused:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

eightysixed posted:

How in the world does this work?
How do you “return” it or whatever?
Once it’s on the Kindle, don’t you sort of own it? :confused:

It's a digital file that you get locked out of/auto deleted when you return it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It has a built in timer I think.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Ah, that makes sense.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Actually if it's on an e-ink Kindle you can put it in airplane mode and it won't return until you turn off airplane mode and sync. I do it all the time to keep books longer. It's returned in Libby (the app that's the middleman for lending) but the file itself doesn't know.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah it has a timer, but you get it by default for 21 days so that's plenty of time. There is an artificial limit on how many books they can "lend out" (I assume licensing) so sometimes you gotta wait list. Still, it's generally a great way to find stuff.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Is there any interest in a historical fiction thread?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

sure

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Posted!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Couple questions about Glas, by Derrida
1. Is there a good English translation? I know the typography and layout and all that are supposed to be important
2. Anything in particular I should read first or just jump in?

Gleisdreieck
May 6, 2007
Can anyone explain to me what is meant by "a writer's writer"? I have seen this phrase often in book reviews but what does it mean?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A writer whose work is more easily appreciated by people who also write. Someone with a better understanding of the craft than a layman who can see the tricks and technical details that other people might miss or fail to appreciate the difficulty of

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

They write stuff like "Derriere disturbance" instead of "fart"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gleisdreieck posted:

Can anyone explain to me what is meant by "a writer's writer"? I have seen this phrase often in book reviews but what does it mean?

If used as a compliment it means a subtle and complex writer who writes with real skill and craft such that his work is appreciated by other professionals.

If used as a slur it refers to writers who while technically competent lack storytelling skills such that their works remain generally unpopular. Can't plot their way out of a paper bag, flat characters, dull pacing, no tension, weak narrative. Books you would never, ever stay up past midnight reading.

So, you know, Gene Wolfe.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It says a lot about this forum that someone tries to define a writers writer and can still only name a genre writer.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gaius Marius posted:

It says a lot about this forum that someone tries to define a writers writer and can still only name a genre writer.

Not exactly a jokester's joker I take it

(The joke is making fun of Gene Wolfe and calling him bad)

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 13, 2024

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

They write stuff like "Derriere disturbance" instead of "fart"

Basically this.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

like movies about hollywood imo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gleisdreieck posted:

It's like what demo scene guys are to actual programmers and artists.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

a writers’ writer is an auteur

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Anyone got any recs for light books that you can read during work downtimes ? Like those "books about books" or facts books, or maybe even joke stuff. Something you can drop in a second if something comes up. Kind of like reading the forums, but in book form.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Anyone got any recs for light books that you can read during work downtimes ? Like those "books about books" or facts books, or maybe even joke stuff. Something you can drop in a second if something comes up. Kind of like reading the forums, but in book form.

Any Dave Barry book is good for this -- funny and entertaining but not essential reading. Dave Barry Does Japan is probably my favorite.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Book of Imaginary Beings by Borges
Any short story collection with very short stories like Maupassant

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Oh! The Book of Obscure Sorrows is perfect for this

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Stephen Pile's "The Book of Failures" or something similar that's not so aged.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Book of Imaginary Beings by Borges
Any short story collection with very short stories like Maupassant
Thank you! I think this might require more brainpower than I can spare at work but I'll give these a look

regulargonzalez posted:

Oh! The Book of Obscure Sorrows is perfect for this
Holy crap! I'm not joking - I actually just ordered this and it arrived today! how's that for random hah

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Stephen Pile's "The Book of Failures" or something similar that's not so aged.
Danke, never heard of this guy but it sounds exactly what I'm looking for. Cheers goons :cheers:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I forgot the obvious: István Örkény.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Story time - There's a guy in my office that has been reading Lord of the Rings. He's never read Tolkien before and, even more baffling, he has never seen the LotR films.

It is wild to chat with someone who has zero clue about even the most general LotR plot points from just cultural osmosis.

He's currently on The Two Towers and today he came up to me with wide eyes and just said "Gandalf is alive!!!"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mordiceius posted:

Story time - There's a guy in my office that has been reading Lord of the Rings. He's never read Tolkien before and, even more baffling, he has never seen the LotR films.

It is wild to chat with someone who has zero clue about even the most general LotR plot points from just cultural osmosis.

He's currently on The Two Towers and today he came up to me with wide eyes and just said "Gandalf is alive!!!"

@_@

Guard this precious flower

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Seriously, I'm legit envious of that guy.

I think I've given the trilogy a re-read about once every four-five years since I was in middle school.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

That dude owns, let him get the full experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

did he read the hobbit first?