Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lore question:
What does it mean to succeed at a persuasion check? What does it mean to fail it? The words are the same, so is it about how articulately you say them? Maintaining posture and eye contact?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Lore question:
What does it mean to succeed at a persuasion check? What does it mean to fail it? The words are the same, so is it about how articulately you say them? Maintaining posture and eye contact?

A critical fail is a bug flying into your mouth or an audible fart in the conversation.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

A critical fail is a bug flying into your mouth or an audible fart in the conversation.

:actually:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqkt1ux7_pU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

This is a performance check. Completely different ball game.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Jay Rust posted:

Lore question:

The difficulty check is deciding how convincing the person you’re trying to persuade finds those words. It’s the same words, but posture and eye contact might be different or there may be even other extenuating circumstances.

For example, you might be trying to convince me you’re supposed to be in a night club and I’m the bouncer. You tell me “my friends are in there, won’t you let me in for free?” My DC to let you in is 15 regardless, but you might be an attractive lady with 18 charisma thus you have +3 to the check and my boss said the ratio was bad and I have to let in women so the ratio is better, so you also have advantage. This makes it much easier for you to persuade me, the bouncer with the DC 15 check to persuade.

Right after, a goon comes up and says “my friends are in there, won’t you let me in for free?” He has 8 charisma, so a -1, and my boss told me never to let goons into the night club so he has disadvantage. This makes it much harder to pass my DC 15 persuasion check, and the goon likely will not be given entry.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Speaking of the fart check it makes complete thematic sense that my bard is using the ring they got from laying down gas too hard to destroy the dead threes chosen and the armies of the Absolute.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Lore question:

I think the dynamic makes a little more sense in tabletop where a DM might add a bonus or minus, depending on how well they actually talk and what direction they take the persuasion attempt in. A critical success or failure in a skill check will have a way better effect than an average roll.

Or for stuff like acrobatics checks or a missed attack, I enjoy describing how terribly I'm loving it up. Depends on the group's playing style of course.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 15, 2024

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Jay Rust posted:

Lore question:

Yeah, I figure it's just how successful you are at all the little things that go into convincing someone of something. Sort of like how when you make a melee attack, the intention is the same either way (I'm going to hit them with my sword) but the roll determines how successful you are at actually doing it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

The difficulty check is deciding how convincing the person you’re trying to persuade finds those words. It’s the same words, but posture and eye contact might be different or there may be even other extenuating circumstances.

For example, you might be trying to convince me you’re supposed to be in a night club and I’m the bouncer. You tell me “my friends are in there, won’t you let me in for free?” My DC to let you in is 15 regardless, but you might be an attractive lady with 18 charisma thus you have +3 to the check and my boss said the ratio was bad and I have to let in women so the ratio is better, so you also have advantage. This makes it much easier for you to persuade me, the bouncer with the DC 15 check to persuade.

Right after, a goon comes up and says “my friends are in there, won’t you let me in for free?” He has 8 charisma, so a -1, and my boss told me never to let goons into the night club so he has disadvantage. This makes it much harder to pass my DC 15 persuasion check, and the goon likely will not be given entry.

Wow… tying charisma to physical attractiveness… that’s a yikes

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

:goonsay:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah I'm annoyed that when my real life character was created I rolled insanely low on Charisma, and I didn't even get bonus stats in other attributes. It's BS.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Jay Rust posted:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I keep passing charisma checks but I believe I got a lovely roll :smith:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I would like to point out that I said being a sexy lady only gives you advantage in that situation and it’s actually hosed up to assume the attractive lady in this situation has high charisma just because she’s sexy :smugbert:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I would like to point out that I said being a sexy lady only gives you advantage in that situation and it’s actually hosed up to assume the attractive lady in this situation has high charisma just because she’s sexy :smugbert:

:goonsay:

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
So up thread people were talking about alt+tabbing breaking honor mode. Does that mean I've ruined my plauthrough since I switch between headphones and speakers a bunch?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Okay this one is for Professor Beetus (or anyone who wants a completed Honor Mode save). I'm pretty sure this will work!

https://file.io/G8Q6Ukpqru9c

Extract the files to User/%LOCALAPPDATA%/Larian Studios/Baldur's Gate 3/PlayerProfiles/Public/Savegames/Story and you should get it after talking with Withers.

Just remember that by doing this you have cheated not only the game, but yourself.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Robobot posted:

So up thread people were talking about alt+tabbing breaking honor mode. Does that mean I've ruined my plauthrough since I switch between headphones and speakers a bunch?

No, that's fine. I did the same a bunch in my run and won the gold dice just fine. It's using ctrl-alt-del to kill the process to try and keep your honor mode after a wipe that breaks it.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

exquisite tea posted:

Okay this one is for Professor Beetus (or anyone who wants a completed Honor Mode save). I'm pretty sure this will work!

Extract the files to User/%LOCALAPPDATA%/Larian Studios/Baldur's Gate 3/PlayerProfiles/Public/Savegames/Story and you should get it after talking with Withers.

Just remember that by doing this you have cheated not only the game, but yourself.

:tipshat:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Jay Rust posted:

Lore question:

It's pretty much just binary pass/fail to maybe get what you want within reason. Roll a d20, add your modifiers, with a 5% chance to auto-succeed, and a 5% chance to auto-fail. In Larian's version of end-of-life D&D 5th Edition, you can boost your social etiquettes pretty painlessly on any class or race, with a lot of cool conditional poo poo and utterly badass gear raining down from the sky like manna from Heaven.

These weak rules for social encounters are better than... having absolutely no rules at all for social encounters where talking impedes the amassing of XP and Gold, only certain classes with certain builds being fit to be the Protagonist of your story, and for reasons nobody at all can explain, 4th Edition Skill Challenges.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I just assumed if you fail a charisma check you said the lines in a really nebbish way.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Snake Maze posted:

No, that's fine. I did the same a bunch in my run and won the gold dice just fine. It's using ctrl-alt-del to kill the process to try and keep your honor mode after a wipe that breaks it.

What about if you have a normal crash, can that break an Honour save?

[edit] I guess if it is still a single save labelled "Honour" mode it should be fine

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 15, 2024

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

This reminded me of a core memory

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

exquisite tea posted:

Link says it was deleted :shrug:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ZearothK posted:

[edit] I guess if it is still a single save labelled "Honour" mode it should be fine

That's what I assumed, too, but it was not the case

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

ZearothK posted:

No idea, I don't know the exact mechanics here. I would guess that a normal crash would mean the game never gets a chance to mark the save as dirty? But it's also possible it tracks it by something like keeping a record that says "save X was loaded" when you start, and "save X was closed" when you quit, and assumes you cheated if there's an opening without a matching closing. :shrug:

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

The same NPC had that trouble in my game, too!

Also this person in Act 3:

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Snackmar posted:

The same NPC had that trouble in my game, too!

"What is it? Are you looking at my lance-mole? Yes, you were, don't deny it! I JUST WISH SOMEONE WOULD NOTICE ME AND NOT MY LANCE-MOLE"

Edited for amusement purposes.

Edit the second: It does 1-10 damage but she has trouble walking through doors.

rojay fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 15, 2024

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

This happens with a dude in the sewer and someone in the throne. iirc something like this happened with the puzzle in the moonrise finale. Like you'd load in and there would be a rainbow just shooting out.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Snackmar posted:

Also this person in Act 3:

You failed that perception check and didn’t notice anything wrong

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

I get that effect a few times.

It’s like there’s a granny pinching their cheeks from beyond the edge of the universe.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Gatto Grigio posted:

I get that effect a few times.

It’s like there’s a granny pinching their cheeks from beyond the edge of the universe.

Auntie Ethel makes her affections known in the cruelest ways

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ZearothK posted:

Might just be a build thing, I played a Beastmaster Ranger Tav in my first campaign and while having a pet was cool it is a pretty weak class all things told. Now my Evil Durge is a Tempest Cleric/Sorc and she deals so much damage.

I'm told the trick with Beastmaster is to swap out to Fighter the last four levels because your pets' damage drops off then and you might as well go full Drizzt and beef up your two-weapon fighting.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Charisma isn’t just about attractiveness. One of my favorite running jokes with a character I played was that he was incredibly attractive but transparently vapid and kinda mean. One of those beautiful people that ruins it as soon as they speak.

10 Charisma.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Welcome to SA, Astarion :)

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Charisma/Persuasion checks are just instances of Commander Shepard saying “I should go” multiple times with different nuance until he gets it right.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

One of the more amusing peculiarities of the point buy system is that the weakest female member of the group, wine girl boss babe Shadowheart, still has 3 more STR than roided elf hunk Halsin.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
the worst part about beastmaster is the pets (but especially the bear) love to get caught on every random doorway and rock

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Saraiguma posted:

the worst part about beastmaster is the pets (but especially the bear) love to get caught on every random doorway and rock

Just finished my first playthrough as a Beastmaster and the trick is to get a raven familiar and a raven animal companion. Kids love em, they don’t scare anyone, they don’t get stuck on poo poo, and they can blind most enemies with reasonable accuracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

One of the more amusing peculiarities of the point buy system is that the weakest female member of the group, wine girl boss babe Shadowheart, still has 3 more STR than roided elf hunk Halsin.

Because Halsin is a no good jabroni, OP.