Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Most of them are very very bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah but it's a cute tribal deck for kids. Meets the requirements of having a tribal commander and enough creatures. Play some ramp for overcosted unicorns and give them some equipment.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The EDHREC tribal/typal theme page should give a decent idea of what's well supported:
https://edhrec.com/typal

You probably wouldn't want to build any of the actual average decks in there for kids, but just the higher number of decks for a tribe gives a good idea on what has good options.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

checkplease posted:

Yeah but it's a cute tribal deck for kids. Meets the requirements of having a tribal commander and enough creatures. Play some ramp for overcosted unicorns and give them some equipment.

Just make the kid a dragon tribal deck and draw horns and rainbows on every creature

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
My mono green Slime Against Humanity deck is struggling hard. Obviously I can ramp the poo poo out of my mana, but I can never seem to get enough card draw, and it's way too easy to hamstring, being so reliant on artifacts and enchantments to get the most out of the gimmick. I think I'll have to switch from Aeve to Slurrk.

The real answer is to go multi-colored, obviously. Likely Reyhan + Slurrk for now, but I'm also curious to see how Rark, the Thumbless would go.

I'd also like to take Wort, the Raidmother for a roll in the hay. Yeah, I said it.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

My mono green Slime Against Humanity deck is struggling hard. Obviously I can ramp the poo poo out of my mana, but I can never seem to get enough card draw, and it's way too easy to hamstring, being so reliant on artifacts and enchantments to get the most out of the gimmick. I think I'll have to switch from Aeve to Slurrk.

The real answer is to go multi-colored, obviously. Likely Reyhan + Slurrk for now, but I'm also curious to see how Rark, the Thumbless would go.

I'd also like to take Wort, the Raidmother for a roll in the hay. Yeah, I said it.

Riku of Two Reflections would give you a copying effect like Wort, but also open up blue for card draw.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

https://twitter.com/mtgcommander/status/1757662901740171541

Might have to pick this up if it goes toward a good cause.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

generatrix posted:

Riku of Two Reflections would give you a copying effect like Wort, but also open up blue for card draw.

Was also looking at him, yeah.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Critical question, need to know before I head out to the LGS tonight: What color sleeves for Esper?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

Critical question, need to know before I head out to the LGS tonight: What color sleeves for Esper?

Is it a Control deck? The color is Pink for those.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

Ravenclaw art sleeves.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

https://store.loadingreadyrun.com/collections/mtg-accessories/products/jund-em-out-100-sleeve-set

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Batterypowered7 posted:

Is it a Control deck? The color is Pink for those.
Nah, not really. Artifacts. Urza, Chief Artificer.

Aphrodite posted:

Ravenclaw art sleeves.
I'm tempted to go art because I hate it when cards end up upside down. Haven't split a sleeve yet but it's only a matter of time.
I know someone who had to re-sleeve a deck because they kept getting "bad shuffles" with these after a long time? Couldn't draw a forest to save his life.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

I know someone who had to re-sleeve a deck because they kept getting "bad shuffles" with these after a long time? Couldn't draw a forest to save his life.

Perfect then… don’t want to be drawing forests when playing Esper. Ask to borrow the cursed jund sleeves.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

JawnV6 posted:

I use deep purple for my Esper deck.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

JawnV6 posted:

dragon shield slate

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

THURSDAY, gently caress I need new glasses. Nevermind.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Batterypowered7 posted:

Secret Lair info dropping after they finish their first game.

E:

Sol Ring
Greater Good
Eladamri's Vineyard
Command Tower
Inkshield
Teferi's Protection
Ruhan the Fomori

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 16, 2024

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I might have teared up a bit at the Sheldon art. Not sure how I feel about it being partnered up with American Cancer Society, but at least it's not something like Komen.

Inkshield reprint gonna go fast.

https://twitter.com/goberthicks/status/1758319835942146536

Jiro fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 16, 2024

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

the fact a lair with inkshield and loving tef protection is print to demand is a miracle, frankly

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Teferi's Protection is close to $40 recently. I didn't pick it up when it was in the high 20s, so maybe I grab the Secret Lair just for the one card.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Print to demand, too. None of this limited poo poo they're doing now.

Not too shabby.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

JawnV6 posted:

art sleeves with dickbutt on them

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

JawnV6 posted:

I have a deck that is cursed. Always land (36) and ramp problems (golgari, with several of the farseek-type cards)

The record so far is having to mulligan 17 times* before i got the first land, at which point i got 2 of the deck’s 2 swamps. Decided to keep them and had to draw FOURTYSIX times until i got the next land. A similar situation has happened multiple times with this one deck.

I have gone through the decklist and actual cards multiple times and find no issues.

*my playgroup can mulligan as many times as we want but «don’t mulligan until you get the perfect hand»

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I had a Lord Windgrace landfall deck with 39 lands, not counting all the MDFCs. I took it apart because it ruined two of my game nights by never getting past five lands over the course of all three games I played it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I always kind of assumed Esper players would have shiny silver sleeves to represent Etherium.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

The EDHREC tribal/typal theme page should give a decent idea of what's well supported:
https://edhrec.com/typal

You probably wouldn't want to build any of the actual average decks in there for kids, but just the higher number of decks for a tribe gives a good idea on what has good options.

Here I come wall deck!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Strong showing by Rogues tonight. Used the LGS Fun Bux to grab a Cyclonic Rift. All around a good night. For me, anyway, not for my opponents.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I just started seeing some of those cards in the Dogmeat commander deck, and oh god, I'm tempted to get it solely to blend with my Thirteenth Doctor deck. The Junk Jet alone looks like the most horrifying inclusion.

https://twitter.com/MTGGoldfish/status/1760022883160498224?t=HUDQ-BcMjL2eaE6diSnNNw&s=19

"Oh god they just got a paradox trigger for free and now Ryan Sinclair's gonna swing for 8 and then cascade for 8"

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

Oh I haven't seen Ryan Sinclair before. It's too bad most (all?) of the power reduction stuff is in black since there's no doctors in black

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER posted:

Oh I haven't seen Ryan Sinclair before. It's too bad most (all?) of the power reduction stuff is in black since there's no doctors in black

There is a companion in black, Vislor Turlough slipped in with the Masters of Evil deck. Pairing him with someone like Twelve would let Ryan run with a Doctor in a black deck, but you're gonna struggle to also get Thirteen in there, and she's the one that basically turns Ryan into a ramping font of cascades.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

There's also Clara, who can be any colour in the command zone.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
I got my loving hole blown out by a Voja deck and now I want to build it.

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

No, I was kinda aiming for a living end or glimpse of tomorrow in the command zone by reducing Ryan's power to one or zero but I don't think that's easily possible without black

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

No, I was kinda aiming for a living end or glimpse of tomorrow in the command zone by reducing Ryan's power to one or zero but I don't think that's easily possible without black

I don't have any idea what you're trying to do here , but I don't think you do either.

Why would you ever want to reduce Ryan's power? It can only make him worse.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Nelly Borca was very fun tonight.

Because her suspicion makes it so the creature can't block and has menace, pretty quickly everyone was attacking everyone else. It finally "solved" the problem I've had with a goad theme (where they play more like either a slow board wipe, or are ignored by simply bouncing off high toughness creatures), but unlike more grouphug-ish styles, it wasn't just accelerating another player's victory: everyone (except me) was taking a lot of damage.

She'll never be cEDH, but she was very fun for a casual table

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It's not cascade or discover - Ryan doesn't flip until you find one you can cast, it flips until you find any spell and then you can cast it if Ryan has sufficient power. If he doesn't nothing happens.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Toshimo posted:

I don't have any idea what you're trying to do here , but I don't think you do either.

Why would you ever want to reduce Ryan's power? It can only make him worse.

I think what they want is for Ryan to swing for 0 and then psuedo-cascade specifically for 0, therefore beelining straight for some of those weirdo '0-cost' cards with alternate casting approaches.

It's a weird gimmick, but if that's how it works I get it, because it relates to part of why Ryan is a surprisingly good early-game commander: he'll kick off with a psuedo-cascade for 2, which pretty reliably means he digs out those low-cost mana rocks, land grabs or equips that you want to have early on anyway.

EDIT: Okay, Jakiri's confirmed how Ryan actually works and it doesn't go so great for this strategy. Also means he doesn't quite work how I thought, but he's still capable of getting some real muscle on the board.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 21, 2024

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

oh oops misread the card yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Blue decks and mill decks are garbage

also decks that end up being solitare at the table also suck

at least one player should be bringing death and taxes or grouphug