Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

PerniciousKnid posted:

What are good multiplayer games to play with young kids with a single screen, one keyboard and one controller for three players? I'm imagining something where someone can move with wasd and one with arrow keys, that sort of thing.

buy a switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The PS6 will be a Steam Deck inside of a fancy plastic box

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

PS6aben

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I feel like I'm still holding out for enough games to come out on it to justify a purchase. Come on, bloodborne 2!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

thehoodie posted:

I feel like I'm still holding out for enough games to come out on it to justify a purchase. Come on, bloodborne 2!

why do you hate the economy

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

One More Fat Nerd posted:

It feels unfair to include FF1 (and presumably 2 or 3 if I'd played them) in a ranking like this at all, tbh.

3's one of that final wave of NES stuff that's pretty much an SNES game tied to a worse GPU and limited storage space. Doesn't get much love at all in the west, where 5's evolution of the systems to full freeform came first and the only official English version until just now was the DS port that tried to modernize while also satisfying the old fans and just ended up with "remember how you used to have to turbogrind to use jobs we didn't expect you to? well now you have to turbogrind to use any job so you can freely pick and choose!", but there's still a lot of love for it among people who played it realtime and among the current dev staff.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Buck Wildman posted:

wait what lmfao it's barely three years old

it was a pretty miserable increase in performance. Maybe the ps6 will be what the ps5 should have been, just 3 years too late

and it'll have bloodborne 2 as a launch title

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
around 3 years old and for a substantial portion of that time you couldn't even just walk into a store and buy one.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

PerniciousKnid posted:

What are good multiplayer games to play with young kids with a single screen, one keyboard and one controller for three players? I'm imagining something where someone can move with wasd and one with arrow keys, that sort of thing.

nidhogg. youll have to have the loser switch out each round but rounds are lightning quick and youll have a blast

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

No I'm too cheap

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

I've been waiting to play bloodborne for a PS5 remaster that never came

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

nidhogg. youll have to have the loser switch out each round but rounds are lightning quick and youll have a blast

Yeah I figure lots of 2p games fit the bill but I thought there might be a good 4p candidate. Like a remake of Warlords or something.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

nidhogg is awesome just don't be a punk and dodge roll past someone and run to the goal

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
im raiding in everquest again poo poo owns

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

PerniciousKnid posted:

Yeah I figure lots of 2p games fit the bill but I thought there might be a good 4p candidate. Like a remake of Warlords or something.

i think N++ will work

if you dont mind some poop humor, Castle Crashers is a blast

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

loquacius posted:

Did Microsoft officially announce they're not making any more xboxes btw

phil spencer is supossed to talk about "updates to the xbox business" tomorrow

it's just a podcast so probably not an announcement about sunsetting of the xbox, but who knows

lol both xbox and ps are dying, PC + switch setup keeps on winning :gaben::hf::mario:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Ojetor posted:

lol both xbox and ps are dying, PC + switch setup keeps on winning :gaben::hf::mario:

this guy gets it except it's pc+deck

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

it is the age of newell, love him and despair

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

bandai femco

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Speaking of Tekken:

https://twitter.com/Z00M_io/status/1757860079850689015?s=20

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Buck Wildman posted:

this guy gets it except it's pc+deck

i have that too :cool:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The future is handheld consoles. Every part of gaming from studios to consumers to the technology undergirding it all is moving in that direction and no other. Nintendo definitely gets it, Microsoft seems to be catching on and is certainly pleased that every console that isn't running linux will be running Windows, maybe Sony is now too. It's better to get in now while the market is young and Microsoft is still trying to figure out a way to make a gaming-friendly version of Win11 that isn't also going to be what all traditional PC users switch to because it'd necessarily have to be a lot more streamlined and cut down.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Windows may be good for gaming now but I wouldn't know. Gave up PC gaming 20 years ago after I got tired of dealing with BSoD, DLL hell, driver issues, and general Windows shittiness. :shrug:

FromSoftware though, now thats how you turn a business office software company into a gaming powerhouse!

Edit: ^ The M1CPU/GPU in the iPad is between a PS4 and a PS4Pro in GPU performance and way, way better in CPU perforlance. Its only limited by power/thermals (since its a tablet). It's also several years old at this point. Mobile (in terms of power consumption) chips are getting more performant way faster than NVidia, AMD, and Intel are getting better at lowering power consumption. It's only a mater of time before your phone/tablet/mobile gaming device has more than enough power to play any game you want.

Pulcinella has issued a correction as of 02:55 on Feb 15, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Epic High Five posted:

The future is handheld consoles. Every part of gaming from studios to consumers to the technology undergirding it all is moving in that direction and no other. Nintendo definitely gets it, Microsoft seems to be catching on and is certainly pleased that every console that isn't running linux will be running Windows, maybe Sony is now too. It's better to get in now while the market is young and Microsoft is still trying to figure out a way to make a gaming-friendly version of Win11 that isn't also going to be what all traditional PC users switch to because it'd necessarily have to be a lot more streamlined and cut down.

the scuttlebutt is that the long-term plan is for Microsoft to license the Xbox brand to allow other manufacturers to sell Xbox-branded hardware that's compatible with their ecosystem so they don't have to develop the handhelds themselves

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

PerniciousKnid posted:

Ugh... I dunno the age. Samurai Gunn was a hit when I played it with tween children. Ummm the mame arcade games are ok, so like the Dungeons and Dragons and Shadows over Mysteria could be played that way.

Jackbox is good for children who can read and have cellphones.

If they're like young young, pre verbal young, you can try Frog Detective and read it to them then just hand them the controller in between talking bits. Hold up lemme link the Parenting Gaming thread.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pulcinella posted:

Windows may be good for gaming now but I wouldn't know. Gave up PC gaming 20 years ago after I got tired of dealing with BSoD, DLL hell, driver issues, and general Windows shittiness. :shrug:

FromSoftware though, now thats how you turn a business office software company into a gaming powerhouse!

It ain't bad at all, I've got a Legion Go which is Win11 and for whatever reason Lenovo opted to package it with the most bloat-free install of the OS I've seen in years and years. Bare minimum + a single program that acts as a hub for all the stuff specific to the device. Asus apparently included a lot of garbage with the Asus, so the risk remains but it's not on Microsoft's side

A lot of the bullshit is still there but it's stuff that'd be bullshit or just outright impossible on consoles like making MSDOS programs run on a 27 inch 4k monitor, and most is just growing pains as these bespoke screen and system requirements, which is something that goes away the more common this becomes. That said, it's never going to be as easy as a console which lets the devs know exactly what they're working with, but I also can't play openXcom on my Series S

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
It was deep in my bookmarks, so it's not an active thread... Thank goodness

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4031577&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

400/500 bux for a console is a good deal for gaming they are not going anywhere.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If Switch 2 is actually gonna have built-in upscaling tech I imagine that'd be a loving bear to ever be able to emulate

also a pox on nintendo if switch 2 doesn't launch as an oled

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

swole velma makin me act up

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

poo poo my video card alone for my PC is the price of 2 PS5s

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

piracy makes up the cost.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

also a pox on nintendo if switch 2 doesn't launch as an oled

they're absolutely going to dangle the OLED six to twelve months after the initial release

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
pcs pay for themselves in free games. free poo poo ftw

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

the scuttlebutt is that the long-term plan is for Microsoft to license the Xbox brand to allow other manufacturers to sell Xbox-branded hardware that's compatible with their ecosystem so they don't have to develop the handhelds themselves

Honestly that's pretty smart, if the future of gaming is mobile like they're probably gambling on it means that anything that works best with Windows works best with gaming. Linux will always be an option to make something in house but that instantly excludes anybody who plays a game with DRM or otherwise broken compatibility, and that's a LOT of people. I love my Series S but the Legion Go just needs a dock to do everything it can do and better. Xbox controller is the gold standard even if ironically enough the gold standard xbox controller is one of the least recommended controllers around.

Popy posted:

400/500 bux for a console is a good deal for gaming they are not going anywhere.

Oh yeah that's always been the biggest reason to get one, it's just that pricepoints like that aren't uncommon at all even now with handheld gaming-first PCs. It's not going to be any less spending, but it's not going to be much more and speaking as a Switch main for years I assure you that people will put up with all kinds of bullshit for that convenience.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Homeless Friend posted:

pcs pay for themselves in free games. free poo poo ftw

You can do this with consoles too if your local library rents out games.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the only thing that’s made me want a switch is that mig piracy cart lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nintendo should make a non dogshit pack-in controller next time

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Homeless Friend posted:

the switch being less than half the weight of the deck and me having an OLED switch and normal screen deck still makes my switch a first choice for indie games/etc.

deck is too heavy, I'm saying it

gradenko_2000 posted:

they're absolutely going to dangle the OLED six to twelve months after the initial release

I know this is true but it makes me sad all the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Homeless Friend posted:

i have a pre-revision switch so i was able to hack it with just a paperclip

very funny for new releases like the prince of persia metroidvania which come out nearly uncrackable on pc because of denuvo but you can pirate them with ease if they have a switch release

thank u nintendo for loving up your chip security