Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(August 17, 1910)

Baron Bean(February 16, 1916)

Positive Polly/Polly and Her Pals(January 15, 1912)

Gasoline Alley(October 8, 1919)

Us Boys(January 1, 1912)

The Gumps(March 14, 1917)

Krazy Kat(December 10, 1913)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Nancy has a history of making prank phone calls

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

Our kid is a fiend for noodles, but he's not great at remembering to chew everything well, so occasionally he'll wind up gagging on long noodles and throwing up.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I'm at a bit of a crossroads in life, and something just recently occurred to me. I've been translating comics for this thread for a really long time. The Wandering Culinarian is the sixth one, or maybe seventh or eighth depending on whether you consider different eras of Chief/Boss Dharma to be the same comic. None of them have been commercially viable projects, which is to say, none of the companies officially translating Korean comics would take a second look at them. They're too mundane, too political, and require too much explanation for a general audience that's more interested in genre work.

What I'm debating right now is how much interest there would be in these comics for a fringe audience. Like say, this one. I actually got a PM recently from a Korean-American expressing interest in the Wandering Culinarian just based on my offhand shitposty description of it in another subforum. So naturally it occurs to me, that aside from the usual comics slash history slash internationalist nerds, there might be genuine interest in a more semiformal collection of these projects just from Koreans in diaspora who want a vision of their ancestral home that's not just...well...look, I imagine a lot of you are at least kindof familiar with the sort of Korean content that is commercially viable and can appreciate how the stuff I've been translating for the past decade differs substantially from all that in terms of tone and the impression it gives.

What I'm getting at with all this is, if I tried to manage some sort of zine style Patreon based project that remastered everything I've done (that I can find anyway), would anyone here actually be willing to donate money to keep that going? This is a risky idea, less for the money than because of the potential for legal action. Although frankly speaking I'd still consider the latter case to be a win. Goodness knows nothing else I've tried in terms of getting professional notice from Korean media companies has ever worked. It's the culture change I've always been after, but without financial stakes, I don't think this can ever go beyond the hobby level, if that makes any sense.

Simple replies to the extent of "yes I think this is a good idea" or "no I think this is a bad idea" are fine, but anything more complex than that, like involving hard numbers, I'd appreciate receiving via PM. I'm quite serious about this. And I'd like to get more serious than just, random updates when I feel like it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Some Guy TT posted:

Simple replies to the extent of "yes I think this is a good idea" or "no I think this is a bad idea" are fine, but anything more complex than that, like involving hard numbers, I'd appreciate receiving via PM. I'm quite serious about this. And I'd like to get more serious than just, random updates when I feel like it.

I think I read all of Chief/Boss Dharma and maybe the last 3rd of Demons of Baseball. The Wandering Culinarian hasn't really grabbed me, so I tend to skim. Honestly, I must have missed that you were translating these yourself, and just assumed that you were finding them pre-translated elsewhere.

I think it's a cool idea, but honestly not something I would pay for. I think there is an audience that would be willing to pay for it, but I'm not it.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

Fond memories of the One! Hundred! Demons! chapter on dancing, and the drawings of her baby brother :allears:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm at a bit of a crossroads in life, and something just recently occurred to me. I've been translating comics for this thread for a really long time. The Wandering Culinarian is the sixth one, or maybe seventh or eighth depending on whether you consider different eras of Chief/Boss Dharma to be the same comic. None of them have been commercially viable projects, which is to say, none of the companies officially translating Korean comics would take a second look at them. They're too mundane, too political, and require too much explanation for a general audience that's more interested in genre work.

What I'm debating right now is how much interest there would be in these comics for a fringe audience. Like say, this one. I actually got a PM recently from a Korean-American expressing interest in the Wandering Culinarian just based on my offhand shitposty description of it in another subforum. So naturally it occurs to me, that aside from the usual comics slash history slash internationalist nerds, there might be genuine interest in a more semiformal collection of these projects just from Koreans in diaspora who want a vision of their ancestral home that's not just...well...look, I imagine a lot of you are at least kindof familiar with the sort of Korean content that is commercially viable and can appreciate how the stuff I've been translating for the past decade differs substantially from all that in terms of tone and the impression it gives.

What I'm getting at with all this is, if I tried to manage some sort of zine style Patreon based project that remastered everything I've done (that I can find anyway), would anyone here actually be willing to donate money to keep that going? This is a risky idea, less for the money than because of the potential for legal action. Although frankly speaking I'd still consider the latter case to be a win. Goodness knows nothing else I've tried in terms of getting professional notice from Korean media companies has ever worked. It's the culture change I've always been after, but without financial stakes, I don't think this can ever go beyond the hobby level, if that makes any sense.

I think there's always going to be some audience for it, even if it's niche.

You might have extra luck posting about this somewhere in ADTRW as well; even if some like Boss Dharma are more "this" wheel house I know the others like Demons of Baseball or Wandering Culinarian would definitely catch extra interest over there.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Vargo posted:

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

That second panel is just tickling the hell out of me

Luann

Nobody wants to be someone's project.

Since he's been introduced, every main character Piro meets in this comic wants to fix him. And gently caress him*. It has to be exhausting for everyone.

*Including his cousin

Gil Thorp

Home Free

The body horror in this comic for crying out loud

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i definitely want to hang around the college age adult telling knock knock jokes unironically

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Some Guy TT posted:

There's almost certainly an audience for it, the question is if they'll actually pay for a zine patreon or whatever(at least enough to make it worth it for you). It's been a while since I've paid attention to the manga scan scene(which is the closest equivalent to this I can think of), but back in my day(:corsair:) people generally only chipped in money to help the scanlators buy new issues/collections to scan. It might be better now since patreon/ko-fi/etc have normalized people chipping in for things like this, but I wouldn't plan on it too heavily. Also seconding the goon who brought up ADTRW, they'll have a better idea of the current landscape for this stuff.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Nobody wants to be someone's project.

Since he's been introduced, every main character Piro meets in this comic wants to fix him. And gently caress him*. It has to be exhausting for everyone.

*Including his cousin

WHY DOES HIS COUSIN WANT TO BANG HIM SO BADLY WHAT THE HELL

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple Concludes!

And from the PDF release:

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

So here we are. The final Steeple page. I wrote about “finishing” the story on my Patreon at the start of the year (the post should now be unlocked). As always, I am very grateful to you for reading.

While that Patreon piece is a nice bit of writing about endings I liked, I don’t think I wrote the mechanical truth of this final, rather abrupt Steeple story – that I simply took all the remaining Steeple stories I had notes for and showed you what they were in 22 pages. Every one is a plot thread that might have played out across a “proper storyline” – Billie’s return to her parents’ house, Brian on straight street, Bob’s bookshop, the Reverend having to choose between a cosy life and his duties in Tredregyn, Tom and the Extreme Freaks, Jason’s escape, Lumsford getting her hands on the parish, the Clovis crime arc (inevitably a second crossover with Solver). A couple of years of material! Rather than just stopping dead where I was, or describe these ideas to a handful of people at conventions, I thought it might be nice to show the unused stories to you in some sort of comic form.

From Monday, the action will return to badmachinery.com for a three-part story that I can only describe as unique among my works. I hope to see you there.

So that concludes Extreme Freaks, and Steeple as a whole it would seem. I've got to say, while I didn't hate this story, it did leave me kinda depressed and disappointed. I'll go into more detail on the John Allison thread itf but this ending squashes any hope that we might see these characters again, which is a real shame. Allison set up a lot of plot threads only to go at them with a chainsaw.

Next week I'll start posting Allison next story at badmachinery.com. Hint; it features a famous character whose work has recently gone into the public domain!

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

So that just ended like a car hitting a brick wall huh.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Yeaaaaaaaaaah, I didn't need Steeples to end with a shrug and "poo poo happens." Boo to John for that, yay to him for everything else including Steeples being as good as it was to get me invested. I guess he has a pact with the fae he writes about to avoid satisfying endings, given I don't think I've seen one since he did that X-Men story. And even then the Batman one just ended abruptly with the first act, so it's not tied to his superhero bits. I also haven't seen all his side projects like Bake Off and Conan(if that's started), though he hasn't really done Charlotte justice lately either.

I'd say he needs a new setting with a tight-knit cast of good characters and a different angle of approach but uh.. he just ended Steeples!!! :byodood:

Some Guy TT posted:

I think a patreon to support you as a translator could work and dodge legal troubles, as people are donating to you because they like your fan projects? I'm not a lawyer and all, I just see a marked difference between translating and selling pdfs of Demons Of Baseball and asking for patreon donations to Some Guy TT to do what he likes.

There'll be people interested for sure. I'm mildly interested in Wandering Culinarian, I recognize it started and needs to build up. Demons of Baseball was absolutely gripping. Boss Dharma was delightful, a nice daily/weekly chuckle and cultural insight. I do think you might be drawn towards translating more bombastic works if you need to drive this patreon income to supporting you, or translate whatever you like if it's purely hobby income. See the common conundrum of the one game streamer vs the all games/genre streamer. If Demons is your biggest one, well, limited market and all.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 15, 2024

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I confess I don't really follow or jibe with Allison's stuff much, but that seems less like an ending and more like a ragequit. Was he unhappy with the project?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm at a bit of a crossroads in life, and something just recently occurred to me.

It's an interesting idea. Your translations in this thread have been very good, and you could probably find at least a niche audience for those and similar works. But the whole enterprise would be one Cease-and-Desist letter away from doom. And that letter might not even come to you, it might go direct to Patreon (or whatever your funding platform is), who would likely just cut you off entirely and end their own legal exposure at a stroke.

The only way around that sword of Damocles that I can think of is to do it Rifftrax style. Unlike, say, Mystery Science Theater 3000, Rifftrax doesn't need to obtain the rights to most of the movies they make fun of because they don't actually distribute a modified version of it; they just sell an audio file of three guys doing jokes and running commentary, and the viewer has to obtain the actual movie themselves. Similarly, you could sell images that are mostly alpha-channel transparent but with words in various spots, and when the reader layers that over a comic page that they obtained themselves one way or another, boom, translation! There might still be copyright issues with just the dialog, but I think it'd be a lot more likely to fly under the radar.

Unfortunately, those original comic pages are probably harder to get a hold of than a big famous movie, and you'd want to come up with some kind of mostly-painless way to do the image combining. (Rifftrax has an app that will actually listen to the movie audio and sync it all up automatically.) I'm not sure how feasible it would be to put something together that a casual reader would find tolerable.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Some Guy TT posted:

I'd probably throw some money at it. I tend to try to support people trying to do things.

F MInus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

Bok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxaO63-R774

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 5/11/52

I seem to have messed up the dates on Pogo a bit, a consequence of newspapers running different strips on different days. Hopefully I can keep it straight from now on.

Archie 7/25-27/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 1/31 - 2/2/77

I should note I'm currently getting Vera from the Hackensack Record, which seems only appropriate.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

Does anyone know if that story was posted in a past iteration of this thread?

Kennel posted:

Doesn't look like anyone was posting Val at the time.

Medenmath posted:

I think I have the modern Val strips going back to 2014, so I'll check tonight to see if I've got the 2017 part to this storyline and post it if so.

So it looks like the whole bit with Taloon back in 2017 ran from April 23 to October 22. There's a lot so I'm linking them rather than using thumbnails:

Apr 23
Apr 30
May 7
May 14
May 21
May 28
Jun 4
Jun 11
Jun 18
Jun 25
Jul 2
Jul 9
Jul 16
Jul 23
Jul 30
Aug 6
Aug 13
Aug 20
Aug 27
Sep 3
Sep 10
Sep 17
Sep 24
Oct 1
Oct 8
Oct 13
Oct 22

Or here's the Imgur album, if you have a better idea than I of how to make Imgur show you files in the order you want:

http://imgur.com/a/9r4A9gX

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Noooo Big Man McMan Cop Man, you should confront this horrible lying trollop now! Don't let Mary meddle her way into this!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Happy Valentine's Day Readers, Posters And Thread Lurkers <3. Here's Childhood Racism <3

The rabbit warren continues to escalate in its unpleasantness by the day and I fear where it can go from here.

CHUBBY SATAN LAUGHING BABY CRYING IPAD PREGNANT

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I really liked Steeple, that's a hella disappointing end. I do like his work in general, but every once in a while I feel like he just really whiffs super hard.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Echoing that I really liked Steeple but this ending just feels kinda mean, to both the cast and the people invested in it. Like seeing all the story ideas would be cute, if all those story ideas weren't immediate set ups that will by design never get pay off.

I'd kind of like it better if it just suddenly ended at the end of last chapter instead. That also would be kind of unresolved, but there's something about resolving it and then causing a million more problems and leaving it at that, definitively.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

john allison being weird about one of his stories? why, i never!

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I get the feeling that the Steeple ending is a combo of Allison's habit of stopping and starting projects, plus a bit of disappointment over it getting dropped as a print comic.

Getting into middle age and still feeling dependent on patreon instead of the "real" comics industry must be difficult.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm not just the most ardent reader of Steeple but yeah, it felt kinda like a ragequit. It could've been done worse, but god drat it could've been done a whole lot better too.

Even at my worst as a teenager I had the self control to wait until we were out of the goddamn store before opening up the snacks. Tearing them open at the register is tacky.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
As much as I enjoyed it while it was in progress, the Steeple finale broke my heart in the same way Mostly Harmless wounded me as the last book in the Hitchhiker's Guide series. :smith:

Our Boarding House (March 19-21, 1925)

Out Our Way: Cowboys Revisited (March 20, 1925)

Toonerville Folks (May 29-31, 1922)

THE TOONERVILLE TROLLEY THAT MEETS ALL THE TRAINS: The Skipper is the only one who can open or close the car windows because each one is a trick window and each requires quite a different manipulation.

PATHETIC FIGURES: The captain of the ball team was "getting the feel" of that new bat they wanted to buy when he just about ruined one of the gruggist's show cases.

Dok's Dippy Whale Spotting Excursion (February 5, 1915)

Little Lefty (October 31-November 1, 1939; no strip on the 30th)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

kidcoelacanth posted:

john allison being weird about one of his stories? why, i never!

Yes, almost all of his series end like this. I've got the print collection of the final SGR run where he fills a few pages at the end with sketches and (alleged) initial ideas for the end of that series, which involved all but the core cast being slaughtered unceremoniously (some of the core cast would be slaughtered with ceremony) and most of Tackleford itself being destroyed in the process. His finales always enter "I am wrapping up this chapter of my career and want no more to do with this" territory, and then those characters and their baggage turn up again in the next project. And it always works! I'm never annoyed to see a character I like turn up again in a dramatic reveal!

But this:

Weembles posted:

a bit of disappointment over it getting dropped as a print comic.

is probably the heart of it.

Hostile V posted:

CHUBBY SATAN LAUGHING BABY CRYING IPAD PREGNANT

Wait, I get to see my grandparents again and we just resume exactly what we did in life? That one wasn't really thought out.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'm not just the most ardent reader of Steeple but yeah, it felt kinda like a ragequit. It could've been done worse, but god drat it could've been done a whole lot better too.

Even at my worst as a teenager I had the self control to wait until we were out of the goddamn store before opening up the snacks. Tearing them open at the register is tacky.

In college I had a child development class, and it was the only class where we almost had a fistfight. One student (who identified as Mom to Two Boys, these days would be a BoyMom) lost her poo poo when we were discussing at what age kids realize right from wrong, in terms of stealing. The teacher mentioned grabbing some grapes or other snacks at a store, and kids at age X wouldn't see it as stealing, but kids who were taught it was, would realize it at age Y. The student insisted taking a few grapes or crackers wasn't stealing as long as you bought the end product. When people pointed out produce is priced by weight, she got pissier and said just a few grapes here and there, or cherries, or even an apple, wasn't that much, just pay for the rest of the bag. Even if you ate half the bag of grapes or cherries, it wasn't really theft if you paid for the other half.

It devolved into a screaming match between BoyMom, two other students who kept calling her a thief raising thieves, and the teacher trying to push past the subject.

as for K and K's rabbit town, they're of course Super Wrong because...rabbits should live in the open like the Natural World intends and be slaughtered by predators. Bribing predators not to eat them is Wrong. Unlike, you know, all the other horrible poo poo in Hellworld.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Medenmath posted:

So it looks like the whole bit with Taloon back in 2017 ran from April 23 to October 22. There's a lot so I'm linking them rather than using thumbnails:

Apr 23
Apr 30
May 7
May 14
May 21
May 28
Jun 4
Jun 11
Jun 18
Jun 25
Jul 2
Jul 9
Jul 16
Jul 23
Jul 30
Aug 6
Aug 13
Aug 20
Aug 27
Sep 3
Sep 10
Sep 17
Sep 24
Oct 1
Oct 8
Oct 13
Oct 22

Or here's the Imgur album, if you have a better idea than I of how to make Imgur show you files in the order you want:

Wow, thanks so much for going through all that effort! Much appreciated.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Cowslips Warren posted:

as for K and K's rabbit town, they're of course Super Wrong because...rabbits should live in the open like the Natural World intends and be slaughtered by predators. Bribing predators not to eat them is Wrong. Unlike, you know, all the other horrible poo poo in Hellworld.
I am more just Generally Terrified In 2024 of Bill Holbrook writing a story about two major cast members probably permanently moving into a species-based ethnostate and I don't want to speak of it deeper from there, it was a bad thing to make exist to begin with and does not need to become a visible plot fixture. Are they gonna bring change and diversity to the community? Probably. Do I want Holbrook to write this at all? Nooooooo.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hostile V posted:

I am more just Generally Terrified In 2024 of Bill Holbrook writing a story about two major cast members probably permanently moving into a species-based ethnostate and I don't want to speak of it deeper from there, it was a bad thing to make exist to begin with and does not need to become a visible plot fixture. Are they gonna bring change and diversity to the community? Probably. Do I want Holbrook to write this at all? Nooooooo.

i for one can't wait for the predators living there to be Good Ones, and probably use some scent poo poo to fool everyone that they are real rabbits. or the predators will think all foxes live down there due to magic scent pheromone poo poo.

are rabbits the only ones that have their little species-only city? poo poo, just the fact the Easter Bunny(ies) aren't off limits from predators that night is proof how dumb this all really is.

I vaguely remember some story where the rabbit city wanted Coney to live there and have lots of kids later so they could have an army of carnivore rabbits but that was played as absolute horror as opposed to....a single rabbit who eats everyone who looks at her and doesn't get to squeal their name out before she attacks.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Sigh. I loving DESPISE the jokes about female mantids always eating their mates. You know who else has dangerous sex? loving kingsnakes. Hognose snakes. Lots of species of spiders. Praying mantises do not always eat their mates after sex! gently caress, they will eat each other no matter what, they're predators! So will lots of other animals, it's why you separate babies from each other and house adults separate.

Genuine thank you: I never doubted the idea I had of mantis mating until you said this. Guess I can see why grown-rear end adults think you can disembowel a worm and make it into more worms.

Cowslips Warren posted:

edit: is the Charon stand-in in Olive supposed to have Vitiligo or tattoos? I'd think Vitiligo?

Vitiligo was the hip thing that all hack Tumblr artists were doing several years ago to show how diverse their portfolio (and conception of race, maaaan) was, so it's definitely vitiligo.

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

the GoComics comment sections blow asschunks, but I'd like to give a shout-out to the top comment for this strip:
"Looks like Spud needs a fresh sandwich...."

edit: I haven't been invested in a John Allison comic for crazy many years, until someone started posting Bad Machinery in these threads. I got really, truly invested in "Steeple" and I'm pretty sour at this ending.

LvK fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 15, 2024

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

:3:

Uchida really makes the flailing / dancing baby loving adorable

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Medenmath posted:

Apr 23
Apr 30
May 7
May 14
May 21
May 28
Jun 4
Jun 11
Jun 18
Jun 25
Jul 2
Jul 9
Jul 16
Jul 23
Jul 30
Aug 6
Aug 13
Aug 20
Aug 27
Sep 3
Sep 10
Sep 17
Sep 24
Oct 1
Oct 8
Oct 13
Oct 22

thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Pluggers

This is just called "having glasses" :colbert: