Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I’m taking my wife to McDonald’s for Valentine’s Day

Be sure to get some deals via the App.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/business/status/1757555709913239733

2007 hours???

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/WardoftheStates/status/1757822079380980166

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lmao

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
gottem

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyRX0MfdAvU

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again

Fukken rekt

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lol

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Exactly 1 year ago too. Bitch rear end

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Giant iggle strikes again.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC4j4U7K6mc&t=4s

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Finally, a feel good story between all this doom and gloom. :unsmith:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The modern conception of breakfast started with the Tudors and if this leads to the abolishment of the English breakfast then perhaps it’s worth it

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

:owned:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

This is art

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

OceanCyclone
May 29, 2022

Mayor of Yambag City

I’m taking my wife to McDonald’s for Valentine’s Day

why are you the way you are

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

The modern conception of breakfast started with the Tudors and if this leads to the abolishment of the English breakfast then perhaps it’s worth it

they might not have been eating eggs and bacon but the peasants were throwing back a liter of table beer and some bread first thing in the morning

seems hard to compare modern diets to that

but we can ask Buddykins I suppose

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

OceanCyclone posted:

why are you the way you are

You think youre too good for McDonald’s?

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

I am too good for McDonald's

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

big suburban guy humblebragging about affording restaurant food

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
breakfast was definitely something that existed in terms of "let me scarf down something quick and easy to prepare that'll get me through to lunch", and arguably should continue to be practiced

it's the more modern conception of breakfast as an entire full meal that's a bit more dubious in its utility and more nefarious in its consumerist origins

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

RECESSION!

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1757930543109288297

OceanCyclone
May 29, 2022

Mayor of Yambag City

You think youre too good for McDonald’s?

yes

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

I guess Japan didn't hear the news that Joe Biden proved two quarters of contraction is not a recession.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

everytime someone says "things aren't really that hard if you're making more than $50k" it's like omar whistling the farmer in the dell you just know they're all coming

there are just some people who can't resist responding to the bait, and end up talking about their $10,000 tables, the houses they own, or how $150,000 a year just isn't enough to save up sufficient gently caress You Money

combine this with the C-SPAM desire to be the most virtuous communist and well

anyways I hope everyone has a good valentine's

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The $8000 table guy is in BFC now

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

greenhouses are a perversion of nature

if only

https://news.yahoo.com/south-america-major-supplier-roses-001137958.html?guccounter=1

quote:

250 million roses are produced every year for Valentine's Day. But where are they all coming from? Although roses were once homegrown here in the US, they now primarily come from two countries-- Colombia and Ecuador. The flowers are transported on hundreds of flights that travel through Miami. One airline says they've transported over 460 million flowers from South America since just last month. Aside from the classic rose, the most popular flowers this season include pompons, hydrangeas, chrysanthemums, carnations, and gypsophilas. Hey, the more you know.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i don't celebrate valentine's because i'm woke

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Everyone but the usa will have a recession.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

PoundSand posted:

I think saving up 100% of the price of a home to pay in cash isn't really a realistic goal to begin with I was just more addressing the general idea that I think people do underestimate how much money you can save over time. The original post I was responding to was basically "10k ain't poo poo" but you can legit only put 7k in your IRA in 2024 (and assuming you can afford it) you absolutely should because it will translate to a reasonable chunk of savings over the course of your career.

Your post kind of says that $10k ain't poo poo, though. $660k over 30 years is... not great, especially compared to just the $300k you'd have with zero interest. Those gains are nice enough if you have absolutely no other use for that money and its immediate utility for you is pretty close to zero, but the implication otherwise is that scrimping and saving won't get you much value if that's the most you can manage.

That's the whole reason a ton of people in this thread poo poo on the idea of small costs adding up. If you can actually blow $30 on literal garbage every day then you're probably doing fine anyway, and you can decide for yourself whether you want more cocktails or a little extra money in your retirement account. For everyone else, the question is more along the lines of making major sacrifices for an extremely unreliable chance of still not having enough money for security in retirement.

People often use thirty years for these examples without engaging with the idea that thirty years is the entirety of your prime earning time and nearly all of your adult working life. If all you have to show for that is $600k-1.5m and you have to give up everything along the way to make that happen then, yeah, that's really bad. And that $10k/year is still going to be out of reach for many, if not most, people.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Paradoxish posted:

Your post kind of says that $10k ain't poo poo, though. $660k over 30 years is... not great, especially compared to just the $300k you'd have with zero interest. Those gains are nice enough if you have absolutely no other use for that money and its immediate utility for you is pretty close to zero, but the implication otherwise is that scrimping and saving won't get you much value if that's the most you can manage.

That's the whole reason a ton of people in this thread poo poo on the idea of small costs adding up. If you can actually blow $30 on literal garbage every day then you're probably doing fine anyway, and you can decide for yourself whether you want more cocktails or a little extra money in your retirement account. For everyone else, the question is more along the lines of making major sacrifices for an extremely unreliable chance of still not having enough money for security in retirement.

People often use thirty years for these examples without engaging with the idea that thirty years is the entirety of your prime earning time and nearly all of your adult working life. If all you have to show for that is $600k-1.5m and you have to give up everything along the way to make that happen then, yeah, that's really bad. And that $10k/year is still going to be out of reach for many, if not most, people.

Yeah 1.5 million sounds like a lot but it's not enough to retire on, and that's before you consider the cost of living will only ever increase.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Not pharma companies but BIOTECH DISRUPTORRRRRZZZZZ

That MRI idea is so braindead stupid that I had to look her up to see if she had any health science experience at all (and she does). False positives are a potentially addressable issue by new tech but the problem isn't underutilization of medical imaging, it's that MRIs are fuckoff huge magnets cooled by liquid helium that are used for a thousand different imaging purposes in any given facility. There's no conceivable way to scale up cancer imaging by even 5x let alone 100x if your starting point is "give them an MRI"

It's absolutely someone that only knows cancer is bad and you get mri for cancer so obviously everyone get mri.

People said this poo poo with CT and it doesn't work. People said this with PET and it doesn't work. MRI is far more complicated than PET or CT. This is honestly one of those things so stupid and out of touch I don't even know where to begin. Bonus points for the meaningless throw in of AI (this poo poo has also been paraded for decades and the fact that I still haven't heard anything about a commercial product tells me everything I need to know about AI taking over radiology reads)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

USING MACHINE LEARNING TO SIMULATE THE PHYSICAL WORLD
- Diana Hu and Jared Friedman

Many essential software tools work by simulating the world using known principles of physics and chemistry. Weather prediction, computational fluid dynamics for designing rockets and airplanes, and tools for drug discovery that predict the interactions of molecules — today many of these are based on running a full physics simulation of the world. These are very computationally heavy since they are solving complex multivariate mathematical equations.

It turns out that AI models are general functional approximators that can also solve and predict problems like these without needing to explicitly know about physics. This results in predictions that are much less computationally expensive and can be completed in minutes or seconds on much smaller computers rather than taking days/weeks and super computers.

We're interested in companies replacing existing simulations with ML-based ones, along with companies using ML-based simulations to open new markets currently unaddressable.

disruptive startup idea: we summon a demon that tells us whether a bridge is sufficiently strong or not but at a tenth the cost of an engineer with a design program

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

today many of these are based on running a full physics simulation of the world.

poo poo that never happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm glad Dwarf Fortress is seeing mainstream application