Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

I really need to get a Grimoire.

Amazing kit. The Red Beret is what propelled me back into making customs years ago during its original run. They just got reprinted iirc, my local store got seven or eight in stock (that were promptly cleaned out). I like to have a Red Beret in my backlog at all times. They're just that good. Do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zodack posted:

Amazing kit. The Red Beret is what propelled me back into making customs years ago during its original run. They just got reprinted iirc, my local store got seven or eight in stock (that were promptly cleaned out). I like to have a Red Beret in my backlog at all times. They're just that good. Do it.

If you go for a Red Beret, don't forget the helicopter pack to go with it.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I need to pick up some replacement hands for 144 HG kits but I'm not sure which one to pick. My usual vendor has two versions of the Builder Parts MS Hand 01 set in stock. One says (EFSF) while the other does not. What's the difference? Because my vendor sure doesn't list any details about it :smith:

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

I think it's scale, both the 1/100 & 1/144 parts are called builder parts ms hand 01 and should correspond to federation suits. if that's the case, the sku for 1/144 should be BAN2175658, with a blue label

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

The fun thing is they both are marked for 144 :v:

Non EFSF

EFSF

E: Further context is that I got the GP02A MLRS version and the tiny peg inside the hand broke just hours after finishing the build due to the shield being so dang big

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Looks like there's an EFSF one that matches the hand design on Earth Federation robots (Gundams and GMs, and yeah the GPO2 too) and a Zeon one that matches the hand design on zakus

It looks like Bandai packages the Gundam-style one labeled "MS Hand 01" without the efsf part. But if it's still number 01, and still 1/144 scale, and still has a gundam head on the bag, it should be the same one. Maybe they designed the package before they came out with the Zeon one?

e:

Tin Tim posted:

The fun thing is they both are marked for 144 :v:

Non EFSF

EFSF

E: Further context is that I got the GP02A MLRS version and the tiny peg inside the hand broke just hours after finishing the build due to the shield being so dang big

these are pretty bad product pages since they don't have the pic of the actual package but it looks like yeah these are just the white and gray variations of the same EFSF hand. They are just named inconsistently on the store.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 13, 2024

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

these are pretty bad product pages since they don't have the pic of the actual package but it looks like yeah these are just the white and gray variations of the same EFSF hand. They are just named inconsistently on the store.
Yeah the webstore isn't really well designed. Thanks for the input! I was hoping that it actually was a color difference because the hands of the kit are in grey

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tin Tim posted:

I need to pick up some replacement hands for 144 HG kits but I'm not sure which one to pick. My usual vendor has two versions of the Builder Parts MS Hand 01 set in stock. One says (EFSF) while the other does not. What's the difference? Because my vendor sure doesn't list any details about it :smith:

I just buy more kits and keep all the spare hands in a tiny box.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

Yeah the webstore isn't really well designed. Thanks for the input! I was hoping that it actually was a color difference because the hands of the kit are in grey

All of the Builders Parts line are mono-gray plastic, as they're meant for people who are doing broad customizations and expecting to paint the kit. With hands specifically, they can look a bit jarring depending on what model you plan to put them on since they have much more detail than the typical HG.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

TheDK posted:

Unsure if noob posts are welcome here

Yes they are. More please!

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
No, this thread is for veterans only. If you can't recite by heart how to decant Tamiya Surface Primer (Fine) L Light Grey and you are unable to post three DSLR-quality image galleries of your last projects, I will have to ask you to leave.

(Yes, more noob posts please!)

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Well I only have a couple of kits in the "backlog" right now: TF Bumblebee (Trumpeter), and a 1/12 Stormtrooper. I'll probably do them very soon.

Also my wife gave me some coupons for Valentine's Day and one of them is:

More to come!

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

TheDK posted:

I'll probably do them very soon.

I've been saying this about some of my kits for years now...

Welcome!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tin Tim posted:

In addition to what people have suggested, you can also go hunting for the older HGBC Hand sets. There's also 30MM Option Set 12, which is a whole bunch of hands in various poses.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/Kyna681/status/1758444093297070280?t=ONpX0I9ncPaOYAY_FdBOlA&s=19

Jack-O(undwort)

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Anyone itt with deep knowledge of Macross? I'm looking for the color schemes of specific pilots or rather the pilot that's behind a specific unit number.

101 should be Hikaru but I'm coming up empty on

These numbers may also be bullshit but since they came as options with a macross kit they might not be :v:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think they probably just gave you a full set of digits (except for zeros) so you can cut em up and roll your own

I don't Have the deep knowledge but I know how to go looking, and from what I can tell going off the Yamato/Arcadia VF-1 "toys" (and believe me, Macross people really give an enormous poo poo about lineart accuracy, so if anyone was gonna get it right it'd be Yamato/Arcadia):

In the series, Hikaru is 101, Roy is 001, and none of the other regulars get a number. Not even Max. The orange VF-1D trainer from the start of the show is 102.

In DYRL, Roy is again 001, Hikaru's VF-1A is 011 and his -1S is 001 after Roy dies, Hayao is 012, and Max is 013. There's an Elintseeker with 071, and there's some pictures of the VT-1 trainer with 607.

Phy fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 16, 2024

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The Z'gok is real!!!!

Instantly one of my favourite models and made me think about getting the RG Zeong for more Weird Zeon poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wish we got more RGs in general.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Phy posted:

I think they probably just gave you a full set of digits (except for zeros) so you can cut em up and roll your own

I don't Have the deep knowledge but I know how to go looking, and from what I can tell going off the Yamato/Arcadia VF-1 "toys" (and believe me, Macross people really give an enormous poo poo about lineart accuracy, so if anyone was gonna get it right it'd be Yamato/Arcadia):

In the series, Hikaru is 101, Roy is 001, and none of the other regulars get a number. Not even Max. The orange VF-1D trainer from the start of the show is 102.

In DYRL, Roy is again 001, Hikaru's VF-1A is 011 and his -1S is 001 after Roy dies, Hayao is 012, and Max is 013. There's an Elintseeker with 071, and there's some pictures of the VT-1 trainer with 607.
Hey thank you for the reply! The numbers are stickers from a very old Nichimo kit which gives you two mechas per kit. They do acutally come as single three-digit stickers. Since Hikaru's number was accurate I had hoped that the others would also be real. Stitching them together for a new number is going to be a huge pain so I'll probably just care a little less for the alternate color scheme. At least I can be mostly accurate with Hikaru's colors and stickers.

Pierson posted:

The Z'gok is real!!!!

Instantly one of my favourite models and made me think about getting the RG Zeong for more Weird Zeon poo poo.
Good job!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Beloved Zgok. :3

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Tin Tim posted:

Anyone itt with deep knowledge of Macross? I'm looking for the color schemes of specific pilots or rather the pilot that's behind a specific unit number.

101 should be Hikaru but I'm coming up empty on

These numbers may also be bullshit but since they came as options with a macross kit they might not be :v:

It's so you can roll your own cannon fodder

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
My own variant of a noob post: finally started painting in earnest with lacquers this week after using Vallejo model air for well on five years and I'm absolutely floored by how much easier it is to run through the brush. I already knew from everyone talking about it of course but the cleanup and thinning is so much simpler than having to scrub out dried acrylic pigment.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Zodack posted:

My own variant of a noob post: finally started painting in earnest with lacquers this week after using Vallejo model air for well on five years and I'm absolutely floored by how much easier it is to run through the brush. I already knew from everyone talking about it of course but the cleanup and thinning is so much simpler than having to scrub out dried acrylic pigment.

It is so nice to be able to run thinner through that literally dissolves the paint after sessions of hard scrubbing with q-tips and rubbing alcohol. And I haven't had tip dry with lacquer yet where some acrylics it happens the first time I try at skim milk consistency.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

downsides of course are god knows what those fumes are doing to me.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I should really switch to lacquers fulltime for airbrushing. I wear a respirator when doing acrylics anyway. And dry tip irritates the poo poo out of me so less of that sounds great.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

cant have tip dry if the paint is 90% solvent

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

downsides of course are god knows what those fumes are doing to me.

Wear ur masks

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh I always wear a vapor rated respirator but still I worry

The surfaces are so nice though.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Wait, you all are wearing masks? I thought the chemical smell was an added bonus from using lacquer. Sure I see double by the end of a painting session but I took that as a challenge to improve my skills

Zodack fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 18, 2024

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

when I'm not using a mask I turn my head up and away before spraying like a loony toons character firing a shotgun

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Zodack posted:

Wait, you all are wearing masks? I thought the chemical smell was an added bonus from using lacquer. Sure I see double by the end of a painting session but I took that as a challenge to improve my skills

You finish your model before huffing. Business before pleasure and all.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Me, looking at my freshly painted gundam as closely as possible: Mmmm. Ahhhhh.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

looking at these cheap little rhinestones as a potential upgrade for zeon mono-eyes compared to the little circle sticker. I've read that if you put a drop of superglue on them and let it dry sitting up it smooths it out and gives it a nice glow

https://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Flatb...C91&sr=8-7&th=1

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Buck Wildman posted:

looking at these cheap little rhinestones as a potential upgrade for zeon mono-eyes compared to the little circle sticker. I've read that if you put a drop of superglue on them and let it dry sitting up it smooths it out and gives it a nice glow

That would work, and really, 3000 Zakus isn't that many.

You can also use the red EX Gundam marker to colour either the round piece the sticker attaches to or, for older kits, just colour the sticker itself.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

lol yeah I'd probably look for a smaller assortment box or something

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

these are no zakus, boy.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
You can for sure just drop by a craft store and ask to buy a single rhinestone like that. They will look at you strangely and then just let you have it.

Also I should use some of those when I finally have time to get back into this hobby and get around to making my Grimoire..

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Buck Wildman posted:

The only thing I don't like about these is the 'facets.' HIQParts makes pink dome stickers that the only problem I have with is the pearlescent finish they give the stickers.

https://newtype.us/p/82UsOQRlzatbo9iAqJF5/h/hiqparts-vc-dome-3-pink-medium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

You use one for a Zaku and then come up with another project you can use 2,999 rhinestones on.