Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

lol, good luck to whoever drafts JJ McCarthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Dr. Lunchables posted:

lol, good luck to whoever drafts JJ McCarthy

I don't think he's the bust people are making him out to be.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He looked absolutely awful in the playoffs so I don’t know why his stock is rising all of a sudden

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I don’t think he’s a bust, but there’s no way he’s ready for the NFL straight out of the box

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

CharlestheHammer posted:

He looked absolutely awful in the playoffs so I don’t know why his stock is rising all of a sudden

He reminds me a lot of Jordan Love. Sit him a year, iron some things out, profit.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

A Sneaker Broker posted:

He reminds me a lot of Jordan Love. Sit him a year, iron some things out, profit.

lol, just that easy

He’s also shown less than even Love did. He has been asked to do so little that everything is just pure projection. Love also sat three years and still only out together a half of season of good play. Long way to go before he’s a model.

He’s also a tremendous dork.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

lol, just that easy

He’s also shown less than even Love did. He has been asked to do so little that everything is just pure projection. Love also sat three years and still only out together a half of season of good play. Long way to go before he’s a model.

He’s also a tremendous dork.

Be fair, being a massive goober has been an integral trait of the best quarterbacks in NFL history

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Jared Goff seems pretty cool. Dunking on reporters and poo poo.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
JJ is the closest I've come to just ranking a QB higher than his tape shows because I think he has IT™

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Dexo posted:

JJ is the closest I've come to just ranking a QB higher than his tape shows because I think he has IT™

JJ is so clutch he was able to drag Harbaugh into wins against multiple top ten teams, including Ohio State and Bama

Imagine JJ with an actual coach who didn't choke constantly. Vikes should trade up and grab him before Atlanta can

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

He seems like Mac Jones to me. Guy has talent but not the kind of talent that's going to win you games on its own. Also benefitted from having a pretty drat good team around him and never had to make many plays. I don't know though.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Niwrad posted:

He seems like Mac Jones to me. Guy has talent but not the kind of talent that's going to win you games on its own. Also benefitted from having a pretty drat good team around him and never had to make many plays. I don't know though.

Saban won plenty without a guy like Mac. Harbaugh couldn't do anything without JJ. Just the facts showing he needs to go top 8

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Thaddius the Large posted:

Be fair, being a massive goober has been an integral trait of the best quarterbacks in NFL history

They become successful first, then begin being tremendous weirdos. JJ is started there, he’s got nowhere to go but down.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jordan Love also benefited from arguably the best QB coach in league history. I don't know if JJ will get that level of tutelage.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The Vikings are going to get tricked into JJ, who will promptly shove a crystal up his rear end to realign his chakra and reveal a new kind of bacterial infection to science

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

CharlestheHammer posted:

From what I heard McCarthy was the only QB with a good showing at the senior bowl.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

ghosthorse posted:

From what I heard McCarthy was the only QB with a good showing at the senior bowl.

McCarthy wasn’t invited lol. Only good QB showing their was Spencer Rattler

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
oh poo poo is that who I'm thinking of? ok then no idea lol

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
JJ is a Play Action God, has a huge arm, a high completion percentage and can scramble like a motherfucker.

He also has the third highest QB winning percentage in NCAA football history.

Dude’s going first round.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

idk how AV is calculated but Reed being two points above Addison tells me all I need to know about how trash it is

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
JJ is cool and good because he went to my mom’s HS, even though it was women’s only back then. Go Naz.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Gonz posted:

JJ is a Play Action God, has a huge arm, a high completion percentage and can scramble like a motherfucker.

He also has the third highest QB winning percentage in NCAA football history.

Dude’s going first round.

NFL scouts don’t give a poo poo about college QB win percentage or a Stetson Bennet and a whole slew of interchangeable Alabama QBs like AJ McCarron and Greg McElroy would have gone in the first.

If McCarthy goes in the first it will be because teams are desperate, and he’s physically capable. Michigan ran the ball on 60% of their plays in 2022 and 2023. He’s benefiting from the fact that he was asked to do so little that he hasn’t got a ton of bad tape. Or good tape. He’s a mystery box.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I believe he won a national championship, so couldn't have been that bad.

Also, is it that weird the guy wants a little meditation time before a game? Doesn't seem toxic, haven't heard any bad press about it, basically still just a kid trying to deal with insanely high pressure situations in a healthy way. Call it goofy or weird or whatever, but the kid delivered repeatedly when it was clutch time.

Parallelwoody fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 15, 2024

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

When he’s sitting at the base of the goalpost before every game, he’s actually remote viewing the coaches of the opposing team. He’s got inexplicably powerful telepathic powers. Harbaugh spotted this in late 2021 and that’s why he named JJ the starter in 2022.

Cade McNamara, on the other hand, cannot astral project.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I only watched JJ in the playoffs and the entire time I couldn’t believe this was the level of talent required to lead a team to be undefeated in college football, and understood why they ran so much. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ben Johnson took inspiration from Michigan even.

Like based on what I saw of him, the dude does his job handing off well, but iirc he had a drop in the final? That I’m not sure who was at fault for . He has a pretty decent arm, but it looked sloppy as hell based on how wobbly some of them were, and it wasn’t due to pressure often. He did have some good spirals sometimes, but imo his receivers are able to get great separation and are then able to deviate from their route to make up for the throw

I’ve never watched CFB before Michigan was in the play offs, so maybe my expectations weren’t right, but I can’t believe he’ll go in the first round. He’s going to be this years will levis or whoever the kid who got drafted late and looked bummed and his girlfriend looked disappointed to the point of breakup lol

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Parallelwoody posted:

Also, is it that weird the guy wants a little meditation time before a game? Doesn't seem toxic, haven't heard any bad press about it, basically still just a kid trying to deal with insanely high pressure situations in a healthy way. Call it goofy or weird or whatever, but the kid delivered repeatedly when it was clutch time.

Stetson Bennett won two national championships. The bar for a college QB to win it all is way lower.

He handed the ball off 60% of the time. I’m sure he’s a very nice kid but the whole “brush my teeth left handed to stimulate alpha waves and meditate barefoot under the goalpost” stuff is pretty funny when you’re putting up Wisconsin QB passing numbers.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Stetson Bennett won two national championships. The bar for a college QB to win it all is way lower.

He handed the ball off 60% of the time. I’m sure he’s a very nice kid but the whole “brush my teeth left handed to stimulate alpha waves and meditate barefoot under the goalpost” stuff is pretty funny when you’re putting up Wisconsin QB passing numbers.

Imagine his numbers if he wasn't doing all that poo poo!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Parallelwoody posted:

You don’t draft players based I stuff they win as a team

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
https://www.dailyherald.com/20240214/news/cook-county-panel-turns-down-bears-tax-appeal-but-decision-isnt-final/

quote:

The Cook County Board of Review on Wednesday endorsed county Assessor Fritz Kaegi’s valuation of the Arlington Park property, which could stick the Chicago Bears with a tax bill millions above what they had hoped.

But the unanimous decision of the three-member elected panel isn’t final; the board is giving the Bears and three Arlington Heights-area school districts until Saturday to return to the negotiating table to hash out an agreement that could arrive at a lower figure.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

It looks like the big sticking point is whether the land was considered commercial property or vacant. Since demolition was ongoing for most of the year, they considered it commercial property. They left it open for the Bears to appeal their 2024 taxes to get it considered vacant. It's a 25% tax on commercial property, but only 10% on vacant property, so they'll probably get a tax relief. The value of the property is probably not changing though, so it's just the rate on that would change until they start building again. I guess Arlington Heights can offer up a deal to assess at a lower value though, but I don't know why they would do that, I think the Bears have a weak negotiating stance. This is poo poo you work out before you buy the property.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

https://x.com/candlestayslit/status/1758142388525228507?s=46

Oh lord. He comin.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Bird in a Blender posted:

It looks like the big sticking point is whether the land was considered commercial property or vacant. Since demolition was ongoing for most of the year, they considered it commercial property. They left it open for the Bears to appeal their 2024 taxes to get it considered vacant. It's a 25% tax on commercial property, but only 10% on vacant property, so they'll probably get a tax relief. The value of the property is probably not changing though, so it's just the rate on that would change until they start building again. I guess Arlington Heights can offer up a deal to assess at a lower value though, but I don't know why they would do that, I think the Bears have a weak negotiating stance. This is poo poo you work out before you buy the property.

yeah Ted Phillips hosed all of this.

But largely, the Schools and the Team are going to have to come to an agreement so it's almost assuredly at least coming down to 160 million from the comically high 192 million the county assessor was trying to finesse.

The Board is essentially telling the team and the school district to come to an agreement. Schools have the land at ~160 million. the Team has it at around 70 million.

It will almost assuredly come down to somewhere between 110-120 million, because at the end of the day the school district is playing a game of chicken where if they push too hard, that land instantly loses even that value once it's no longer "future site of Chicago Bears Stadium." Also the further they go outside of the negotiation and mediation they are currently in, things get far far more pro business.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

You don’t draft players based I stuff they win as a team

QB has a pretty big impact on whether a team can win, not sure if you were aware.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Parallelwoody posted:

QB has a pretty big impact on whether a team can win, not sure if you were aware.

Patrick Mahomes was barely above .500 as a college player. Winning in college doesn’t mean poo poo about your ability to play in the NFL.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Patrick Mahomes was barely above .500 as a college player. Winning in college doesn’t mean poo poo about your ability to play in the NFL.

Yeah I think you need to look at many factors, but it's like yall are arguing that "so what if he won a bunch of games he loving sucks." Which, maybe he does in the pros, but it's not like winning is some knock against him. "Does what he needs to do to get the team the win" seems like a good quality to have?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Parallelwoody posted:

"Does what he needs to do to get the team the win" seems like a good quality to have?

Definitely, it's just that in JJ's case that was usually "hand the ball off to Blake Corum and let an NFL line take care of the rest." Their second-biggest regular season win featured only 1 pass attempt in the second half and it drew DPI.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://x.com/marinonfl/status/1758157773676916825?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Parallelwoody posted:

You know how you can tell the difference? Watch their play rather than their record

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Niwrad posted:

This is the same comparison I came up with, but someone will get desperate and pick him up in the first round. You only need to hit on a QB once to go from also-ran to contender.

Agree that if he'll really benefit from sitting a year if he's able.

Would love to keep praising the sun for a few more years at least. I assume a deal will get hammered out sooner or later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

C-Euro posted:

This is the same comparison I came up with, but someone will get desperate and pick him up in the first round. You only need to hit on a QB once to go from also-ran to contender.

Agree that if he'll really benefit from sitting a year if he's able.

Would love to keep praising the sun for a few more years at least. I assume a deal will get hammered out sooner or later.

He ain't going anywhere, he is a Detroit Lion to the bone. Hopefully now he'll be able to afford his bullshit fines.