Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

MikeJF posted:

Is the Google app (not chrome) installed?

🤦 I disabled it

Mystery solved, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Pipboy 3000 posted:

Hello, I was wondering if this app has support for downloading threads for offline reading, or if that might be added. Didn't see it in the OP and couldn't find info on it easily on my phone app. Thanks for any details on this!

I was mulling over adding this as a feature but I embarrassed myself by realizing I wanted it so that I could still read threads in the elevator when I lost signal for 30 seconds.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

That's exactly why I want it, too, though.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Back when I was doing a lot of rail travel with work (before free wifi was everywhere) I would go like ten pages ahead in a thread I was catching up on so that it was cached on my device for when I had no signal. No idea if that would work now

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
It does! I tried it just now with an image heavy thread, while in flight mode. You do get a "loading failed" message but otherwise previously-loaded pages show up fine.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The previous site owner didn't want the forums being scraped for any reason when asked about that; I don't know if the current administration has answered the question but I'm guessing they haven't.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
When reading threads on desktop I use a bookmarklet to filter out non-image posts on image heavy threads. Does the app have the ability to do anything similar?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Sure, there's a setting to load images or don't. It's site-wide though.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

You know thanks for giving the option to turn off subforum styling and sigs, devs. Really turns reading the pink forums into a dissociative experience.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I have a lil feature request.

When I use "find in page" on a thread and type a string, and then go back a page in the thread, the "find in page" feature closes. Is there a way to keep it open, with the string I typed? (even better if it then also searches for that string on the newly-opened page)

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Is there a trick to hooking up an Imgur account? Doesn't seem to be working for me and I just want to post cool memes on my new phone

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

w00tmonger posted:

Is there a trick to hooking up an Imgur account? Doesn't seem to be working for me and I just want to post cool memes on my new phone

I use this app and it's a breeze, don't even need an imgur account

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=droidrocks.upload_image_to_imgur_pro

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

w00tmonger posted:

I vaguely remember having to be on the beta.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Nah, I made it everybody's problem last month.

Can you be more specific? What doesn't work exactly?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

w00tmonger posted:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sereri posted:

Nah, I made it everybody's problem last month.

Can you be more specific? What doesn't work exactly?

The eternal curse of software devs everywhere.

"It doesn't work! [End of transmission]"

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

w00tmonger posted:

I think it freaks out if you aren't already logged in to imgur in your browser

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I sometimes use the app on an old (2017 or 2018 I think) amazon fire. It's installed from the play store which I sideloaded, and ever since the December patch it just instantly closes. I cleared all app data and cache and now when I try to log in it either briefly shows the forums and then closes, or just goes back to the login page. I'm not really sure what troubleshooting steps to take beyond clearing the app data and cache.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I think it freaks out if you aren't already logged in to imgur in your browser

Aye. I had this problem last month. If you're logged in already via your browser it'll connect (apparently there are issues with Firefox and Chrome is the recommended browser to do this). Worked for me and should work for the OP

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
There's a dev/beta thread for Awful.apk but it's a little dated so crossposting from another thread here:

quote:

Collapsable quotes should be coming soon. This post details it and links to a JSFiddle showing the currently planned HTML schema:

code:
<div class="bbc-block">
    <div class="inner"> <!-- NEW -->
        <h4>someone posted:</h4>
        <blockquote>post body here</blockquote>
    </div>  <!-- NEW -->
    <div class="collapseContainer"></div> <!-- NEW -->
    <div class="expandContainer"></div> <!-- NEW -->
</div>
This is subject to change, but there will almost certainly be a new "inner" div to handle some of the masking effects.

Schema is not finalized but wanted to post here ahead of time, as we probably can't launch until iOS/Android publishes an update that is forwards compatible and a reasonable chunk of the userbase has time to get the updates. I might make a PR myself when the schema is finalized, unless anyone here wants to volunteer at that point.

If you have feedback on the functionality feed free to join the discussion from the linked post.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I have a feature request, maybe this would also be good for the forums overall, and not just the app.

The ability to see where a given post is quoted further in the thread.

I was just looking through my bookmarks and a few threads were hundreds and hundreds of posts beyond when I last checked them. Sometimes, in those threads, I will have asked a question. Like in those 'help me remember a book/game/movie' threads. I'll ask my question, follow the thread for probably two weeks, and then assume that no one is going to be able to answer it. But what if, later on they had?

With this feature, and I do realize it's niche, I'd tap the dots on the post, select something like 'Find quotes of this horrible post' and would then be brought to a newly generated page that has my original post at the top, and then every post that quoted it listed below, obviously in chronological order.

Would literally anyone else want that? Am I the only one? I assume it's entirely possible given that every post has a unique ID that's used in all quotes of that post, especially now with the ability to click the link in a quote to go to the original post. So I'd assume it'd just be a matter of the app scrubbing the thread for any time that post ID shows up again. Not unlike how you can see all the posts from a given user, or yourself, in a thread.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 31, 2024

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I have a feature request, maybe this would also be good for the forums overall, and not just the app.

I was just looking through my bookmarks and a few threads were hundreds and hundreds of posts beyond when I last checked them. Sometimes, in those threads, I will have asked a question. Like in those 'help me remember a book/game/movie' threads. I'll ask my question, follow the thread for probably two weeks, and then assume that no one is going to be able to answer it. But what if, later on they had?

With this feature, and I do realize it's niche, I'd tap the dots on the post, select something like 'Find quotes of this horrible post' and would then be brought to a newly generated page that has my original post at the top, and then every post that quoted it listed below, obviously in chronological order.

Would literally anyone else want that? Am I the only one? I assume it's entirely possible given that every post has a unique ID that's used in all quotes of that post, especially now with the ability to click the link in a quote to go to the original post. So I'd assume it'd just be a matter of the app scrubbing the thread for any time that post ID shows up again. Not unlike how you can see all the posts from a given user, or yourself, in a thread.

I like this idea.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It’s a good idea, and probably not technically impossible, but I think it would require the app to download and parse every page of the thread at once. Given that threads can be thousands of pages long, it would probably be slow and use a lot of data. I would think it’s probably better off as a suggestion for the forums themselves, not the app.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

When the forum search is overhauled, I'd like to add support for quoting:[specific post id].

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

astral posted:

When the forum search is overhauled, I'd like to add support for quoting:[specific post id].

Ooh, that's a good idea.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

0. Go in a thread
1. Admire your posts
2. Can't find a way to go from there to the place in the thread where a particular post is
3. Mark post as last read in an attempt to do that
4. Back to bookmarks, thread has unread counter set to (I think) the number of posts that were after the marked post in the admire your posts view
5. Open thread lands on the first post of the first page of the thread regardless of what that number was.

Just letting y'all know. I know the admire your posts/show only posts by view has had other reports with wonky post counters (eg. going negative temporarily under some circumstances). I wouldn't want to debug that either. Otoh, a new dedicated jump to this place in the thread function in the post's context menu would be neat.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

e: apparently not an app issue

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 2, 2024

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

astral posted:

I was going to suggest making it so searching on your username would also search '[username] posted:' titles of quotes, as a stopgap solution.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I was going to suggest making it so searching on your username would also search '[username] posted:' titles of quotes, as a stopgap solution.

Yezy, this please.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

fart barterer posted:

Collapsable quotes stuff

The latest WIP of the collapsible quotes in web leaves the HTML alone and injects it with JS, so quotes will be exactly the same now and the app shouldn't have any issues :thumbsup:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Huh, not just gonna use <details> and <summary>?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Microplastics posted:

I have a lil feature request.

When I use "find in page" on a thread and type a string, and then go back a page in the thread, the "find in page" feature closes. Is there a way to keep it open, with the string I typed? (even better if it then also searches for that string on the newly-opened page)

This irks me too, when I know I'm in the right area but not on the exact correct page, I keep flipping pages back and forth, constantly having to reinvoke the search dialog and type or paste my query on each page load.

If it could keep the query open when switching pages and re-run it automatically upon completion of page load so you can quickly see if there are more than 0 results on that page and choose to move on, that'd be great!

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Flipperwaldt posted:

0. Go in a thread
1. Admire your posts
2. Can't find a way to go from there to the place in the thread where a particular post is
3. Mark post as last read in an attempt to do that
4. Back to bookmarks, thread has unread counter set to (I think) the number of posts that were after the marked post in the admire your posts view
5. Open thread lands on the first post of the first page of the thread regardless of what that number was.

Just letting y'all know. I know the admire your posts/show only posts by view has had other reports with wonky post counters (eg. going negative temporarily under some circumstances). I wouldn't want to debug that either. Otoh, a new dedicated jump to this place in the thread function in the post's context menu would be neat.

That's already in place. Tap 'Admire your posts', scroll to a post, tap the 3 dot menu, tap 'show only posts by me' and it'll return you to the regular version of the thread and jump to that post.

It's a toggle, but the message doesn't change or say it's a toggle. Using 'admire your posts' doesn't appear to change the functionality, I just checked.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

That's already in place. Tap 'Admire your posts', scroll to a post, tap the 3 dot menu, tap 'show only posts by me' and it'll return you to the regular version of the thread and jump to that post.

It's a toggle, but the message doesn't change or say it's a toggle. Using 'admire your posts' doesn't appear to change the functionality, I just checked.
Oh, great. Thanks for figuring that out for me. On the one hand, not super discoverable, on the other, I don't much care now I know.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Is there a way to get my phone/Firefox to open SA forums links in the app instead of going to the URL?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hyperlynx posted:

Is there a way to get my phone/Firefox to open SA forums links in the app instead of going to the URL?

There should be an option you can enable for Firefox under app info > advanced > open by default. It does seem to get reset from time to time during system updates or something.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Awful App Info -> Set as Default has this guy too

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Aha! Thanks folks. Annoyingly it looks like both had to be switched on for it to work.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I had been wondering the same thing! Thank you for pointing that out. App rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I have twitch embeds disabled in the app but the twitch video in this post still embeds:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4051238&pagenumber=847&perpage=40&userid=0#post537872334

No big deal but is it just something wonky for me or is the app setting not quite right?