Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Electric Wrigglies posted:

The point is that one runway can already handle a lot of air traffic. Any cross runway you see at other airports doesn't count when you are comparing this airport to those (can't be used at the same time). Terminals have a lifespan as well and I would think that it would need major rebuild in 2050's in any event. Second (and third, etc) would (all) be parallel runways for the same logic as why a single is sufficient and likely don't need to move or rebuild the terminal anyway.

Aight cool fair enough, thanks. Yes I'm talking parallel. Seven gates still seems short-sighted, even on an immediate time-span. And the architecture is dreadful. Completley uninspiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Well just get the army reserve in for 2050 and get them to do it for free, it’s what they’re training for anyway.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Yeast posted:

Well just get the army reserve in for 2050 and get them to do it for free, it’s what they’re training for anyway.

Are you still talking about an airport or LZ Red Rooster?

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Bucky go on Well There's Your Problem

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
who had airports on their bucky bingo card?

also how relevant will the current airline model be in 2050

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Spookydonut posted:

how relevant will the current airline model be in 2050

That’s an interesting question. Notwithstanding a global collapse of some kind, it’s not going anywhere but up is it?

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School
They're planes, they have to come down eventually.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-15/politicians-call-for-changes-to-unfair-hecs-repayment-system/103472284

The ALP is so incredibly poo poo this or yet another own goal.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I had years of gently caress all indexation it was grand.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Eh, it looks to me the APS have no interest in doing it because :effort: so have told their minister to tell the public to gently caress off (with all the ministerial smarmy talk required). Maybe the minister should insist upon more effort from their department but conservative ministers don't care any more than the APS does about a few hundred bux for a reasonably well earning graduate. If you are earning median salary (about $67k) this extra tax is about $150 if I done my sums right ($2.1k automatically paid back, 7% of that).

The amount in question is that year's index amount on the amount paid that year. If you paid off 10k (implying an income of >$120k) that year, the 7% indexation would mean $700 extra. CPI is already heading back down and will ideally get down within the target range around 2.5% which would be $250 on $10k paid off for the year (or about a pineapple of extra tax at target CPI and median salary).

Still, enough of a kerfuffle gets raised and I am sure the Minister is asking for scopes, costings and risk assessments to be drawn up.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
what does albo getting engaged mean for shortens leadership ambitions

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
it needs to be indexed after your compulsory payments are subtracted not before lmao

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

sick of Applebees posted:

Create the perfect airport

It's basically Denver + 1, with a more centralised and evenly distributed terminal

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
how do you get into the airport

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Fly in fly out

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
can someone overlay buckys cycle map and the map of sydney asbestos locations i feel like theres something there

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Maglev pods, in a 4-5 km tunnel

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Cycleways across the active runways.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Can I interest you in a nice bike path?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
They’re practically free

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
if you're making new runways may as well put in a cyclepath next to it

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Think of how fast you’ll ride with jet wash to push you along

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
There’s actually 10 terminals surrounding a 5 armed runway.

It’s genius

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Bucky Fullminster posted:

It's basically Denver + 1, with a more centralised and evenly distributed terminal

Looks like another imagining of the circular runway idea. It was studied by the EU and conceptually it sucks because it a huge amount of pavement is laid to slightly optimize the cross wind component of take offs and landings.

Three runways in parallel pretty much scale linearly in capacity. Runways at different angles to each other scale in ever diminishing returns on investment because how they interfere with each other.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Get this to the Premier's office ASAP

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

Electric Wrigglies posted:

The point is that one runway can already handle a lot of air traffic. Any cross runway you see at other airports doesn't count when you are comparing this airport to those (can't be used at the same time). Terminals have a lifespan as well and I would think that it would need major rebuild in 2050's in any event. Second (and third, etc) would (all) be parallel runways for the same logic as why a single is sufficient and likely don't need to move or rebuild the terminal anyway.

Crossing runways are used at the same time

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

It's pretty different to the circular idea. And these don't really have to interfere with each other at all, if you're coming in and out from the open end.

But yeah you'd have to do a lot of modelling with wind data to see how many you could run and if it'd be worth it.

Here's Denver:

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

It's pretty different to the circular idea. And these don't really have to interfere with each other at all, if you're coming in and out from the open end.

But yeah you'd have to do a lot of modelling with wind data to see how many you could run and if it'd be worth it.

Here's Denver:

Do you understand that the missed approach path has to be protected?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
thats a hosed up swastika

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

Here's Denver:

Four sets of parallels rather than your five would be better. Having the approach and/or departure paths intersecting is not ideal.

Edit: actually, why not six sets? Go for the hexagon

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Cross runways suck and parallel runways take up a lot of land... my proposal is the stacked runway, three or four runways high.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Cross runways suck and parallel runways take up a lot of land... my proposal is the stacked runway, three or four runways high.

In space!

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

nocturama posted:

Four sets of parallels rather than your five would be better. Having the approach and/or departure paths intersecting is not ideal.

Edit: actually, why not six sets? Go for the hexagon

That's where it started:

Actually it started with this terminal:

I reckon that's gotta be close the most planes you can fit per m^2, in a shape that's not just a carpark like ATL. Maybe they're all Os or all Ts, I don't know. But the key is you want the terminal centralised for the passengers and between the runways for the pilots. And I do like the pentagon.

And yeah I was wondering about a hexagon, or even octagon, but that's where I think we need more maths and architectural software, and we'd pretty quickly exceed any theoretical demand. Even 5 is pushing it.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Feb 15, 2024

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Bucky

mate,

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

it's 1000th the size it needs to be

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Maybe we should all just chip together and get Bucky a bunch of those European Sim games

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°
Man why do idiots go to school for this

Shits easy as

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Hell yeah.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
What is this? A multi-level space airport for ants????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

so we've gone from doodling on maps to crop circles...