Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I asked this in the rpg thread but are there any RPGmaker games currently on sale that are worth checking out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

fez_machine posted:

I asked this in the rpg thread but are there any RPGmaker games currently on sale that are worth checking out?

To the Moon
Finding Paradise
OneShot
I Have Low Stats But My Class Is Leader, So I Recruited Everyone I Know To Fight The Dark Lord

good but not on sale:
Rakuen
Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass
Omori
Space Pilgrim series (already dirt cheap)

I just found Osteoblasts and it looks neat enough for me to give it a shot

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Thanks for all the suggestions :) I'll check out Elderborn first. I'd rather not get sucked into another endless addiction-machine online game, so I'll stay away from Vermintide and Chivalry.

Kingdom Come is a game I've meant to get back to, and I'm curious about Bannerlord since I played M&B1 back in the day, but both will take a bit of time before my char can go all Conan on people I think. They're going to be next in line after Elderborn.

And I've played a LOT of Cyberpunk recently, but the melee is definitely not what I had in mind - Sasquatch's Hammer is the only weapon that has decent weight.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

fez_machine posted:

Pale Echoes, Ara Fell and Rise of the Third Power.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

NihilCredo posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions :) I'll check out Elderborn first. I'd rather not get sucked into another endless addiction-machine online game, so I'll stay away from Vermintide and Chivalry.

Kingdom Come is a game I've meant to get back to, and I'm curious about Bannerlord since I played M&B1 back in the day, but both will take a bit of time before my char can go all Conan on people I think. They're going to be next in line after Elderborn.

And I've played a LOT of Cyberpunk recently, but the melee is definitely not what I had in mind - Sasquatch's Hammer is the only weapon that has decent weight.

Obviously it's not out yet, but keep an eye out for Avowed later this year, I think.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hwurmp posted:

To the Moon
Finding Paradise
OneShot
I Have Low Stats But My Class Is Leader, So I Recruited Everyone I Know To Fight The Dark Lord

good but not on sale:
Rakuen
Omori

Be aware Finding Paradise is the sequel to To The Moon, and they're a contiguous story.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

To the Moon
Finding Paradise
OneShot

good but not on sale:
Rakuen
Omori

Thanks for the recs.

Already ahead on the To The Moon series, One Shot, Pale Echoes and Ara Fell. Most of the not on sale games I've had wish listed for a while. I'm not a dungeon crawler person, so while Osteoblasts looks cool, I'll leave it lie.

Wishlisted Rise of The Third Power and Low Stats. The other Cannibal Interactive games look pretty funny as well.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

LISA The Painful is on sale and it's an all-timer for sure

Your Turn To Die is an interesting lil' danganronpa-like (not an RPG at all really, but it was made in RPG Maker MV apprently?) and it isn't finished yet, but it's pretty solid imo if you're into that genre at all

also it's kind of a small and silly game, but i found The World Is Your Weapon to be a fun lil' romp

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
Looking for a competitive game that i can play with a controller. Something not extremely twitch where you get destroyed by mouse and keyboard. I recently bought quake on the cheap and its kind of hilarious in deathmatch how not close you are to competing if you use a controller.

Smite is the perfect suggestion, but smite 2 is around the corner and id rather wait for that. I dont understand how no one took DOTA2 yet and made it into an fps. Some kind of group game where you work toward a collective goal. Savage, an old FPS/RTS was great at that. Shame theres not more of these games.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Aster0ids posted:

Looking for a competitive game that i can play with a controller. Something not extremely twitch where you get destroyed by mouse and keyboard. I recently bought quake on the cheap and its kind of hilarious in deathmatch how not close you are to competing if you use a controller.

Smite is the perfect suggestion, but smite 2 is around the corner and id rather wait for that. I dont understand how no one took DOTA2 yet and made it into an fps. Some kind of group game where you work toward a collective goal. Savage, an old FPS/RTS was great at that. Shame theres not more of these games.

Rocket League

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Aster0ids posted:

Rocket League is the obvious suggestion here

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
late but

Splicer posted:

I'm looking for a mental time out "how is this supposed to be a game" game. Something engaging enough to grab my focus on for 15 minutes but with no mental effort involved and no way to do badly or even a way to do less well. Even a "find things" game contains the chance of not finding the things.

Ideally we're talking a pleasant ambient soundtrack overlaid on a nice ruined cityscape with a (no time limit) button I can click on to get some soothing text telling me well done.

e: button optional

Townscaper
Donut County
Cloud Gardens
Garden In!
A little to the left
Assemble with Care

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Fat Samurai posted:

A Hand with Many Fingers is literally this.

Just you, a corckboard and a basement full of boxes with documents.

This game is the game that I didn't realise was perfect for me. Thanks for this rec to the other person asking about it cause I love it. Although I'll be sad when I'm done because I just want to play games like this now. Looking things up in a card catalog, getting archive boxes from the catalog reference then making a conspiracy corkboard to find more things to look up? God, I love it :v:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

This game is the game that I didn't realise was perfect for me. Thanks for this rec to the other person asking about it cause I love it. Although I'll be sad when I'm done because I just want to play games like this now. Looking things up in a card catalog, getting archive boxes from the catalog reference then making a conspiracy corkboard to find more things to look up? God, I love it :v:

Will second that for anyone who loves mystery games A Hand with Many Fingers is great. My review from a while ago:

quote:

A very clever investigation puzzle (investigate-em-up? walking-research simulator?). I made a lucky guess and stumbled into the end-game answer within the first hour or so, then went back to replay it, forcing myself to make only stepwise, well-supported deductions. Ultimately, in the end I still had to take that same logical leap. I really respect the developer for letting me stumble into the ending. A really novel idea and stylish execution. Worth it at full price for the experience.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Anyone have recommendations for cool and big FPS adventures like Half-Life 1 or 2? Was recently watching Woolie play Half-Life 2 and realized I haven't played something like that in awhile: lately when it comes to FPS games it's been a long line of more xtreme boomer shooters like Turbo Overkill and while I love those, there's something about the big ol' adventure of Half-Life with set-pieces, puzzles, exploration, and good shooting that appeals to me. I feel like I've already played most of the likely suggestions of the Metro series, FEAR 1+2, Prey, Wolfenstein New Order and Old Blood, and so on, but maybe I'm missing something obvious, or there are some good unknown ones.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 15, 2024

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FutureCop posted:

Anyone have recommendations for cool and big FPS adventures like Half-Life 1 or 2? Was recently watching Woolie play Half-Life 2 and realized I haven't played something like that in awhile: lately when it comes to FPS games it's been a long line of more xtreme boomer shooters like Turbo Overkill and while I love those, there's something about the big ol' adventure of Half-Life with set-pieces, puzzles, exploration, and good shooting that appeals to me. I feel like I've already played most of the likely suggestions of the Metro series, FEAR 1+2, Prey, Wolfenstein New Order and Old Blood, and so on, but maybe I'm missing something obvious, or there are some good unknown ones.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
Serious Sam 4
Black Mesa, if you don't mind playing Half-Life 1 again
Overload
Cruelty Squad
E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy

getting into the woods with this one but Everspace 2 has exploration, puzzles, shooting, and can be first-person

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 15, 2024

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FutureCop posted:

If you've not played Crysis, you should go play the original Crysis.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

FutureCop posted:

Lichdom: Battlemage maybe?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

fez_machine posted:

Lichdom: Battlemage maybe?

This game is terrible, one of the sluggiest, worst gamefeels I've ever experienced

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Hwurmp posted:

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

With the caveat that it's not really big and isn't puzzle based, that's a fantastic game. The shooting feels good, it hits all the western movie tropes, you get to meet a lot of legends, and the whole story narration driving the game is amazing. One of my favourites single player FPS ever. Beating each story stage also unlocks them in arcade score attack mode too for people so inclined.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

FutureCop posted:

Might be really obvious, but how about Deus Ex? Shooting isn't that great but it's got adventure feel down pat. Another one that comes to mind is Resident Evil: Village, which is a lot more action-focused than the previous first person entry.
Oh, and have you played Tron 2.0 or classic Unreal? Unreal in particular has a great planet-spanning adventure vibe.

e: Wolfenstein 2009 if you can get your hands on it.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 15, 2024

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FutureCop posted:

Immersive Sim style games feel like maybe a slight parallel track to this, but you mentioned Prey, so - have you played the recent System Shock remake (or even the OG System Shock 2)? It's a really excellent game even if you've never played the original

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

FutureCop posted:

Cyberpunk has excellent set pieces, exploration, and great shooting (if you pick the shooty skills), though not much on puzzles. If you don't mind occasionally stopping to sell a bunch of loot and upgrade your cyberware, it's a top-tier game.

And given what you said Destiny 2 is worth experiencing even if you have absolutely zero interest in multiplayer, and even though the original campaign has been a tragic victim of the GaaS model. But the shooting is unparalleled and the set pieces are breathtaking, and harder activities are (in)famous for their puzzles too. You can check out the free to play version and get a short tutorial campaign plus a bunch of shorter adventures called "strikes"; then you can play the first mission of each of the paid campaigns, and drop $25 on Steam if you like them.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

FutureCop posted:

If you don't mind installing a couple mods to make it work better, Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl (refer to the thread here in Video Games for what to install). If you do mind installing mods and want it to work right out of the box, Stalker: Call of Pripyat. SoC is the better of the two, it's one of the best open world FPSes ever, but CoP is pretty great too and more user-friendly out of the box.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Thanks for the suggestions all. I've played most of them already and enjoyed them, but I will most certainly check out some of them I haven't yet, like System Shock Remake, Crysis, and while it does have a different vibe, Everspace 2 is something I've wanted and maybe could satisfy the urge. Maybe I should just directly replay Half Life 2 as well, or some sort of mod for it, if there are suggestions for that. Speaking of, I might check out Half Life Alyx: I was specifically looking for flat FPS so it's a stretch, but still, maybe it'll work, and I should anyway. I was looking around too and might checkout DEATHLOOP and Atomic Heart, though I'm a bit hesitant on those, but maybe unfairly so?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I haven't played it but I've seen Trepang2 compared positively to FEAR

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FutureCop posted:

Thanks for the suggestions all. I've played most of them already and enjoyed them, but I will most certainly check out some of them I haven't yet, like System Shock Remake, Crysis, and while it does have a different vibe, Everspace 2 is something I've wanted and maybe could satisfy the urge. Maybe I should just directly replay Half Life 2 as well, or some sort of mod for it, if there are suggestions for that. Speaking of, I might check out Half Life Alyx: I was specifically looking for flat FPS so it's a stretch, but still, maybe it'll work, and I should anyway. I was looking around too and might checkout DEATHLOOP and Atomic Heart, though I'm a bit hesitant on those, but maybe unfairly so?

Atomic Heart was just so loving boring, I don't really know what it was about it - the vibe is weird and the main character is extremely obnoxious, but mostly I was just bored out of my mind and gave up a few hours in. Couldn't tell you why and a lot of people seem to like it.

Deathloop is a lot of wasted potential. Still a decent game but I'd only play it once you've exhausted the rest of Arkane's catalogue.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FutureCop posted:

another possible option: Zortch

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

FutureCop posted:

Titanfall 2 has an absolutely fantastic campaign full of incredible set pieces.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

FutureCop posted:

Titanfall 2 is the answer.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

FutureCop posted:

Anyone have recommendations for cool and big FPS adventures like Half-Life 1 or 2?
The obvious answer is Adaca since it's clearly Half-Life-inspired: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1765780/ADACA/

Selaco isn't out yet, but you can try the demo, I really enjoyed it myself: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1592280/Selaco/

Edit: if you have a Switch and a loose definition of FPS, the Metroid Prime remaster there is very good and cool.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

gently caress I forgot about Titanfall 2 again

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

gently caress I forgot about Titanfall 2 again

I forgot too! It's a great suggestion but I have already played it. People who haven't played it yet, though: get on it!

Cicero posted:

The obvious answer is Adaca since it's clearly Half-Life-inspired: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1765780/ADACA/

Selaco isn't out yet, but you can try the demo, I really enjoyed it myself: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1592280/Selaco/

Edit: if you have a Switch and a loose definition of FPS, the Metroid Prime remaster there is very good and cool.

Ah yeah, I'm only looking for PC games. ADACA is on my wishlist and I was real tempted to buy it now, but I'm still waiting for full release. Same for Selaco: very anticipated for that. I was also considering looking at INDUSTRIA since it's inspired by Half-Life 2, but decided against it since I hear it is a bit short and unsatisfying.

-------------------

So far I've been going through a few games that I had in the backlog or were on GamePass based on your suggestions, testing them for a few hours to see if they scratch the itch:

DEATHLOOP: pretty charming and a bit more fun than I thought it would be, but at the same time it's not really grabbing me and I can see myself dropping it shortly. At the end of the day, the game just really makes me want to play HITMAN or Dishonored 2 instead as it doesn't feel like its pulling off the assassinations as good as I'd like: I would've played Dishonored 2 immediately but I was in a more 'shoot gun' mood than a 'stab necks' mood. As said, will probably drop it.

Atomic Heart: this one is a weird juxtaposition of impressive beauty with some awkward gamefeel. I want to like it as it seems to be going for an almost survival horror vibe where ammo is limited, melee is incentivized and enemies are powerful unfeeling robots, but in the end it just feels incredibly sluggish, laborious, and off, and not in that typical way that survival horror does intentionally for disempowerment. It feels really mistimed and not playtested: for example, I got really annoyed going through this cable car tunnel segment where I kept dying because I was going faster than the game expected and getting caught by a worm digging through the walls (very similar experience to Charlie here around 1h27m20s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEq2qjn22vU&t=5240s). As a side-note, I avoided the obnoxious main character by setting the voices to Russian. Will probably drop it.

Crysis: tried to play the first one but it kept crashing, so I went for Crysis 2. It's not quite what I was looking for, but it still seems like a somewhat decent ooorah COD campaign except you get a cool nanosuit that lets you go all Predator on these helpless enemies. Might drop for now but come back to later? Curious on whether Crysis or Crysis 3 might've been a better match or if they're all similar.

Ion Fury: I know I said I wasn't looking for boomer shooters, but this one is actually kind of appealing at the moment since the levels feel more like you're going through a big world with some minor puzzles and exploration, rather than just going through corridors or from arena to arena, which is what I was trying to get away from. Will likely stick with it despite not quite being an exact match: it'll probably do enough to get me through until I get interested in another genre.

Anyway, I'm probably sidetracking the thread! Still, thanks for the recommendations and all.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I'm looking for some more single player games that are mostly quiet and good for listening to music/podcasts while playing. The ones I currently play are still great, but are getting a bit overplayed, so I'm looking for something new.

For this I play a lot of Noita with the music off, all of the Souls games/the good Soulslikes, Death Stranding, and I also enjoy quiet puzzle games like The Witness, The Room series, or Talos Principle. All of these games have lots of cool exploration and a nice variance of environments, which I guess is what I like most about them. Looking for more of that. (I am not really interested in realistic trucking sims, but could be persuaded to try one maybe)

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Maybe like torchlight as a Diablo style game?
I'd normally suggest sleeping dogs here, but there's a lot to pay attention to in that game

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Queering Wheel posted:

I'm looking for some more single player games that are mostly quiet and good for listening to music/podcasts while playing. The ones I currently play are still great, but are getting a bit overplayed, so I'm looking for something new.

For this I play a lot of Noita with the music off, all of the Souls games/the good Soulslikes, Death Stranding, and I also enjoy quiet puzzle games like The Witness, The Room series, or Talos Principle. All of these games have lots of cool exploration and a nice variance of environments, which I guess is what I like most about them. Looking for more of that. (I am not really interested in realistic trucking sims, but could be persuaded to try one maybe)

A Monster's Expedition is a really good, chill puzzle game, I'd recommend it if you're looking for something to fill a similar niche to Talos or The Witness.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
art of rally might be good, it's pretty chill rallying game and there's no co driver so you can just drive

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Queering Wheel posted:

Seconding A Monster's Expedition, there's also the newly released Islands of Insight which is very chill but does have some optional sound puzzles.

Snowrunner is Death Stranding but trucks and is a standard podcast game recommendation. Another truck game (although you don't do any driving) is Logisitcal. You're mainly picking apart huge networks of logistical chains, not constructing them like in Factorio.

I'm currently playing a lot of Dysmantle as a podcast game. There's very little to it. The entire game is methodically hitting things so they explode in to crafting materials so you can hit things better, the environments are pretty nice though especially the DLC areas.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

You don't really "explore" (although there's a variety of areas) but Powerwash Simulator is up there as podcast games go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Queering Wheel posted:

Far: Lone Sail and its sequel might interest you on the chill side of things. Technically you could call it a sidescrolling trucking game, but it's got a a fairly unique premise. There's also Journey, but that's pretty short. Maybe Subnautica could get you more into survival games (although unlike most survival games, it's not a randomly generated world, so it's kind of on the fringe of the genre).

I think Assassin's Creed Origins might be something to look into on the action game side of things. Most of the Assassin's Creed games you can kinda just zone out on the plot if you want and just plow through and enjoy the very elaborately created environments packed full of thoroughly-researched historical details, and there's been a major exploration element to the series for a while, but I feel like Origins has the most elaborate and diverse environments. Egypt has swamps, cities, forests, rivers, the coast, and many different types of desert.

Witcher 3 is also a very pretty game, but there's a whole lot of very good writing that you might want to pay attention to. I guess that's the problem with a lot of good games to suggest. MGSV is also pretty and fun, but you might end up having to think too much about the environment in trying to figure out how to deal with all the enemies. Shadow of Mordor is great, but I'm not sure how satisfying the environments are.

Maybe Hollow Knight? Control? But there's also auditory elements there and shooters are harder to chill out on.