Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

EclecticTastes posted:

What's unusual is that the sleeve is just some repurposed promo art for New Capenna, rather than anything Ravnica-related. What is that meant to imply? :tinfoil:

It implies the whole "reward" thing was not thought through and solving the case was originally a drink your ovaltine rhing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

EclecticTastes posted:

What's unusual is that the sleeve is just some repurposed promo art for New Capenna, rather than anything Ravnica-related. What is that meant to imply? :tinfoil:

Even arena thinks this set was supposed to take place on capenna

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I pulled a serialized card (Teysa, Opulent Oligarch) from a Karlov collector booster the other day. What's the best way to go about getting it graded, if I should choose to go that route?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Judge!

Can _____ block Pompous Gadabout?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Shrecknet posted:

Judge!

i think maro said on tumblr that it cannot, since it officially does not have a name

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I think "do x when no name" has potential for more cards, maybe even an ability word

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I think "do x when no name" has potential for more cards, maybe even an ability word

Is there an element of 'no name on a creature' that isn't just a token?

Conceptually this is a great idea (just giving this mechanic to fairies alone would make it worthwhile), but I'm not sure if there's actual mechanical purpose for it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Tokens are named for their type(s) if it's not otherwise specified right? It's just facedown creatures that have no name?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

quote:

111.4. A spell or ability that creates a token sets both its name and its subtype(s). If the spell or ability doesn’t specify the name of the token, its name is the same as its subtype(s) plus the word “Token.” Once a token is on the battlefield, changing its name doesn’t change its subtype(s), and vice versa.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Tokens are named for their type(s) if it's not otherwise specified right? It's just facedown creatures that have no name?

Oh, okay. And theretically there's at least a couple ways that happens, even if it'd be really targeted counter-strats.

...unless, again: we made fairies that steal names.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Cleretic posted:

Oh, okay. And theretically there's at least a couple ways that happens, even if it'd be really targeted counter-strats.

...unless, again: we made fairies that steal names.

I'm not sure how the "faeries that steal names" thing would mechanically operate

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Shrecknet posted:

Judge!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEZFWg4hneA

I really like the Judging for the Win channel he has a second video about token names a bit more recently.

He ruled that it could block, since in gatherer the card has a name consisting of five underscores.

TacoNight fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 15, 2024

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cleretic posted:

Is there an element of 'no name on a creature' that isn't just a token?

All face down cards have no name. It's just a null value. Not just cloak and morph and mega morph, but a handful of other cards. Illusionary Mask is my favorite.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'm not sure how the "faeries that steal names" thing would mechanically operate

Name is simply a value. You can change it (like with stickers) or delete it at will.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yes, but recently the name changed from "TYPE" to "TYPE Token" (so you can't pithing needle Blood to hit Blood Token)

Shrecknet posted:

Judge!

____ is a name. You can thank unfinity for clarifying this, here's the gatherer entry for Last Voyage of the ______, note how the underscores are included within the quotes. Because that's the card's name
This enchantment will become an Aura whether you put a name sticker on it or not. "Last Voyage of the ________" is kind of a disappointing name though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Yes, but recently the name changed from "TYPE" to "TYPE Token" (so you can't pithing needle Blood to hit Blood Token)
Lol I missed that, that's funny. Can't wait for some unset to print the card Clue Token as a troll

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Naming a sorcery to deactivate tokens is unintuitive as hell but it is also extremely funny.

You can only name cards legal in the format you're playing though and Flesh and Blood was in DGM...

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Naming a sorcery to deactivate tokens is unintuitive as hell but it is also extremely funny.

You can only name cards legal in the format you're playing though and Flesh and Blood was in DGM...
I think they changed that too

quote:

201.4. If an effect instructs a player to choose a card name, the player must choose the name of a card in the Oracle card reference. (See rule 108.1.) A player may not choose the name of a token unless it’s also the name of a card.

201.4a If a player is instructed to choose a card name with certain characteristics, the player must choose the name of a card whose Oracle text matches those characteristics. (See rule 108.1.)
Example: Dispossess reads, in part, “Choose an artifact card name.” The player can choose the name of any artifact card, even one that’s not legal in the format of the current game. The player can’t choose Island, even if an Island on the battlefield has been turned into artifact by some effect.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Given that there's also the rule of "if you both know what card the other person is referring to, don't angle shoot" that's a good rule. It stops angle shooting ("judge, my opponent broke the rules by picking the wrong random card when they had to name something") and also works with the rather unusual edge case of Garth One Eye.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It also means you don't have to call for a GRV when some old person names "abandon hope"

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Given that there's also the rule of "if you both know what card the other person is referring to, don't angle shoot" that's a good rule. It stops angle shooting ("judge, my opponent broke the rules by picking the wrong random card when they had to name something") and also works with the rather unusual edge case of Garth One Eye.

Does that mean you're allowed to just say "4 mana sheoldred" in paper magic if you can't remember the exact name? Are you allowed to look it up if you aren't sure?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

distortion park posted:

Does that mean you're allowed to just say "4 mana sheoldred" in paper magic if you can't remember the exact name? Are you allowed to look it up if you aren't sure?

If you can describe the card well enough to reasonably identify specifically that card then it counts. You yourself can't look it up though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

distortion park posted:

All that is needed is for you to decribe the card enough that both you and your op understand which card you are talking about. Its been this way for a while. You can say something like "I am naming that creature that does x and is 4/5 for 4, do you agree to understand what I mean?". If you can't remember the exact name you can always over describe it , just the most important part is getting them to agree. Most normal people are totally fine with this because they aren't dickheads.

Of course there are still a lot of old competitive players who hate this because angle must always be shot, but I have a very low tolerance for this nonsense. I am going to name "shelly" , if you play loving dumb I am going to call a judge. Pretending you don't know or admitting you are trying to get me to name a card not in your deck is cheating. Let these folks plan their own dairy queen trip.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Why did you edit in the dairy queen thing lol

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Sponsorship, I hope. We should all aspire to getting blizzards for posting.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5fZCFr08cU

I find it strange that Humility is on his list as most complicated, but the explanation goes into way more detail than I really considered.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

HootTheOwl posted:

I think they changed that too

I have difficulty keeping up sometimes. I blame my tendency to play eternal formats and name Surly Badgersaur if I want to wiff intentionally.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

sometimes when I'm bored i just pay 1 to activate _________'s ability.

im doing it right now

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

Why did you edit in the dairy queen thing lol

DisQualified. Get it?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

HootTheOwl posted:

DisQualified. Get it?

Didn't know mister fantastic had an account, wow

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What's modern looking like since fury went? Is it mostly crashing footfalls decks?

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

ilmucche posted:

What's modern looking like since fury went? Is it mostly crashing footfalls decks?

The RC in Denver had rhinos as ~21% of registered decks (both temur and leyline) and living end made up another good amount, so probably 1/4 or more are cascade decks in these tournaments. Yawgmoth has also had pretty good performance since fury ban.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ilmucche posted:

rhinos, yawg, and amulet at the top. A funny counterbalance control deck doing very well. The domain aggro deck seems decent in a leyline hand, although still clunky without it. The rest is about the same as before.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Living end being top tier feels like such a weird place to be in, but I guess it's been that way for a while

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Living end being top tier feels like such a weird place to be in, but I guess it's been that way for a while

The cascade decks are crazy strong because they can just play all the free interaction and since they go off on your turn, part of that free interaction is being able to back it up with force of negation when you can't force back.

It helps that living end gets to play grief and then when they go off grief you again too, though missing fury definitely hurt that deck

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

It's that time of year again where Prof is doing a charity drive to TransLifeline at 4 dollar increments! Each $4 USD donation enters you a chance to win cool stuff that goes to a great cause!

https://youtu.be/0lSsX0obpfc?si=zwl3Sf1eFYDiOT6p

https://give.translifeline.org/tolariancc

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Jiro posted:

I find it strange that Humility is on his list as most complicated, but the explanation goes into way more detail than I really considered.

Humility is famous as a complete rules disaster, especially when you combine it with opalescence. If you look into magic rules it comes up a lot.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Jiro posted:

I feel like Tacklemaggot is getting unfairly dragged here, and it's actually in the Animate Dead pile.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Humility is famous as a complete rules disaster, especially when you combine it with opalescence. If you look into magic rules it comes up a lot.

quote:

This is the current interaction between Humility and Opalescence: The type-changing effect applies at layer 4, but the rest happens in the applicable layers. The rest of it will apply even if the permanent loses its ability before it's finished applying. So if Opalescence, Humility, and Worship are on the battlefield and Opalescence entered the battlefield before Humility, the following is true: Layer 4: Humility and Worship each become creatures that are still enchantments. (Opalescence). Layer 6: Humility and Worship each lose their abilities. (Humility) Layer 7b: Humility becomes 4/4 and Worship becomes 4/4. (Opalescence). Humility becomes 1/1 and Worship becomes 1/1 (Humility). But if Humility entered the battlefield before Opalescence, the following is true: Layer 4: Humility and Worship each become creatures that are still enchantments (Opalescence). Layer 6: Humility and Worship each lose their abilities (Humility). Layer 7b: Humility becomes 1/1 and Worship becomes 1/1 (Humility). Humility becomes 4/4 and Worship becomes 4/4 (Opalescence).

I think I just gave myself a headache reading that

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They've announced that the Beyond Boosters they teased back in August for Assassins Creed will, in fact, be Aftermath sized and be published straight to Modern.

They upped the total cards in the set from Aftermath to 100, and said that the 7 cards in each pack will be a mix of Assassins Creed cards and modern reprints. For example you're guaranteed at least 3 uncommons, but there are no AC uncommons.

They said the stated goal was to introduce new settings too small for a full set while increasing the availability of format staples.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

that's nice of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So...The List boosters?