Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

We have been straying further from god's light with every step taken away from System 7 :dawkins101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

DoombatINC posted:

We have been straying further from god's light with every step taken away from System 7 :dawkins101:

I was messing with some emulated classic macOS environments earlier today, and I think they were onto something with that spatialized finder concept.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Serious Hardware/Software Crap › GPU Megat[H]read - post bad opinions about windows versions itt

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

wargames posted:

why dev for a dev OS like win10 or a dead card the 30 series?
To be fair, 30 series is explicitly supported, 10 is explicitly not supported.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My progression was 98SE -> 2000 -> XP -> 7 -> 8.1 -> 10. I think all of them were really good for the time, certainly after the first service pack.

I briefly tried 11 about half a year ago and tried some editing the registry to get it to behave like 10 but it some things didn't work and the UI was generally annoying. Notably, the clock/calendar aren't visible on your non-primary monitor which was legitimately the dealbreaker for me since I have 3 monitors, center being primary, but I use center/right with my work laptop and left with my personal desktop when I WFH.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

It will never not be funny to me that people are now like "Windows 10 is the best! Pry it from my cold dead hands!"

Before that we heard the same thing about 10 from 7 users. And before that we heard the same thing about 7 from XP. And before that we heard the same thing about XP from 2000.

ME and 8/8.1 were the exceptions, not the rule. Some buttons got moved. Sorry.

Good username/post combo

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
At this point of the year, is there anything on the near horizon for new GPUs? We just got the Super refresh, and I haven't heard anything from AMD or Intel.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

You guys are still using Windows? :smugdog:

this. opensauce nvidia driver already runs vrchat, the future is now baby

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DoombatINC posted:

May we all embrace our lord and savior, OS/2Warp.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Vertical taskbar is great for those of us with ultrawides. Don't need a giant empty space.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hughmoris posted:

At this point of the year, is there anything on the near horizon for new GPUs? We just got the Super refresh, and I haven't heard anything from AMD or Intel.

No, the next thing on the horizon that I can think of is Intel's Battlemage GPUs.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

My progression was 98SE -> 2000 -> XP -> 7 -> 8.1 -> 10. I think all of them were really good for the time, certainly after the first service pack.

iirc my progression was 95 (grandmother's computer) -> ME (first family computer) -> XP -> Vista -> Mac OS X Leopard -> Snow Leopard -> Lion -> Snow Lion -> Mavericks -> Yosemite -> El Capitan -> Windows 8.1 -> 10 -> 11 -> macOS Monterey -> Ventura -> Sonoma

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Look at you normies with your "progressions" like you aren't just using whatever garbage OS you happen to be sitting in front of at any given time, cycling through half a dozen different computers, none of which you really understand.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

KillHour posted:

Look at you normies with your "progressions" like you aren't just using whatever garbage OS you happen to be sitting in front of at any given time, cycling through half a dozen different computers, none of which you really understand.

Virtualized psychosis, eh?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Holding shift while you right click brings the old context menu mostly back.

I also do ctr delete for a permanent delete and hide the recycle bin.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Holding shift while you right click brings the old context menu mostly back.

I also do ctr delete for a permanent delete and hide the recycle bin.

holy poo poo thank you for this

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

change my name posted:

holy poo poo thank you for this

It still surprises me how many people, even tech people don't know this given it's also how you bring up the Powershell option.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Arivia posted:

Virtualized psychosis, eh?

Working in IT has broken me and I no longer care about anything that doesn't cause my current problem to stop being my problem. All OS's are equally poo poo because I will need to look everything up regardless. The only meaningful difference is how terrible the documentation is.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

KillHour posted:

Working in IT has broken me and I no longer care about anything that doesn't cause my current problem to stop being my problem.

This is probably why my work's IT gave me local admin on my laptop and my group's HPC instance after enough times of needing config changes made.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

What's the best AMD card I can get for 1080p gaming for under $300? I don't need to go above 60fps. My RX580 is really starting to show it's age.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Eat The Rich posted:

What's the best AMD card I can get for 1080p gaming for under $300? I don't need to go above 60fps. My RX580 is really starting to show it's age.

Discount 6700 would be the slam dunk in this segment, but a 7600 is fine too.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Thanks, I don't understand the GPU naming schemes at all

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Eat The Rich posted:

Thanks, I don't understand the GPU naming schemes at all

that’s the idea

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

The 7600xt seems to have just come out. The price point is slightly better and fits my specs pretty well so I think that's the winner here. Desperately trying not to have FOMO about the 6700 tho lol

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Wait I forgot the main reason to upgrade to Windows 11 rn:

https://www.howtogeek.com/816348/did-you-know-shiftctrlaltwinl-opens-linkedin-on-windows/

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Works on w10

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Eat The Rich posted:

The 7600xt seems to have just come out. The price point is slightly better and fits my specs pretty well so I think that's the winner here. Desperately trying not to have FOMO about the 6700 tho lol

It's not worth the price premium over the 7600 in general. I see a 7600 for $260, that's what I'd get.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Twerk from Home posted:

It's not worth the price premium over the 7600 in general. I see a 7600 for $260, that's what I'd get.

I see that one too. But it's only 8gb ram. Would I be losing much over 16gb ram? I think the heaviest game I play is Tarkov

Edit: compared to the 7600 XT

Edit²: alright trying to be proactive. Every other computer part makes sense to me except GPUs. I did some research and I think the normal 7600 fits my needs pretty well. The price point is glorious too.

EDIT THREE: Holy poo poo my girlfriend came home with the 6700. Happy Valentine's Day!

Eat The Rich fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 15, 2024

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Finally snagged a decent card. Newegg just posted the two Gigabyte models in stock, they rank 3rd (at least the one I'm linking here) in quiet/cooling and are only beat by the ASUS TUF and STRIX (which can reportedly have frequent coil whine). Apparently Gigabyte has never had an issue with it.

$1,050
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-4080-super-gv-n408sgaming-oc-16gd/p/N82E16814932671

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Why are video card product lists so stupid now?

Do I buy a 4070 Super or a 4070 Ti Super? Is there even any titanium involved???

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Eat The Rich posted:

EDIT THREE: Holy poo poo my girlfriend came home with the 6700. Happy Valentine's Day!

she's a keeper. Congratulations

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

AlternateAccount posted:

Do I buy a 4070 Super or a 4070 Ti Super? Is there even any titanium involved???

Yeah this is also my conundrum at the moment. I mean, not about the physical titanium…

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

The Joe Man posted:

Finally snagged a decent card. Newegg just posted the two Gigabyte models in stock, they rank 3rd (at least the one I'm linking here) in quiet/cooling and are only beat by the ASUS TUF and STRIX (which can reportedly have frequent coil whine). Apparently Gigabyte has never had an issue with it.

$1,050
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-4080-super-gv-n408sgaming-oc-16gd/p/N82E16814932671

I can verify the coil whine with the TUF 4070 Ti Super. It's more like a faint hiss, but it's more pronounced if I have the monitor refresh set higher. This is only when gaming. Normal desktop usage it's dead quiet.

It's not that bad compared to other cards I've had.

My old EVGA 1070 was pretty bad when it whined. It sounded like a piezo speaker, but would only happen on first boot if the computer was off for a little while. If you powered down then immediately restarted it would go away and not come back until the next down time.

Turmoil fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Feb 15, 2024

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

2001 internet and trying to figure out what the gently caress the Radeon 8500 LELE and Geforce 2 MX 200 were

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Inept posted:

2001 internet and trying to figure out what the gently caress the Radeon 8500 LELE and Geforce 2 MX 200 were

2017 trying to figure out if a Vega 56 is better than a Radeon 560.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

My 4080 super tuf has no coil whine fwiw

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Inept posted:

Radeon 8500 LELE

why do I feel like playing witcher 3 right now

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Inept posted:

8500LE was about 10% lower-clocked than the regular 8500 but otherwise identical; MX 200 was a GeForce2 MX that was hobbled with a 64-bit SDR memory bus, which had an effect on performance similar to the DDR4 versions of the GT 1030. Which goes to show that everything old is new again for Nvidia.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Hasturtium posted:

8500LE was about 10% lower-clocked than the regular 8500 but otherwise identical; MX 200 was a GeForce2 MX that was hobbled with a 64-bit SDR memory bus, which had an effect on performance similar to the DDR4 versions of the GT 1030. Which goes to show that everything old is new again for Nvidia.

It was the Geforce 4 MX that was the real trap. I tried to steer people away, but "it's so cheap"!
Same poo poo with the fx 5200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

HalloKitty posted:

It was the Geforce 4 MX that was the real trap. I tried to steer people away, but "it's so cheap"!
Same poo poo with the fx 5200

Man, that was a heartbreaker. Nvidia stretched its engineering resources too thin with the Xbox and backported the good bits of the GeForce4 Ti to the Geforce2 MX core. Nvidia shot itself in the foot - if they’d made a competent scaled down GeForce4 Ti derivative part that ran about as well as a GeForce3 Ti 200 and called that the MX, they’d have cinched up that whole product generation. But it did give ATi enough breathing room with R200 to get the Radeon 9700 Pro out the door, so I’m going to be grateful.

I don’t want to think about the FX series too much. Even with Nvidia growing its driver team to create custom app profiles to manage the damage as best they could, the whole NV30 generation is probably the worst major vendor GPU product cycle of the last 25 years. “What about the S3 Savage 2000 that shipped with broken hardware transform and lighting?” I catch myself wondering, but the truth is that S3 was already on the way out, they had one last chance, they blew it, and they went away; the only part of those that survived was the 2D core, married to the 3D core from the Savage4 and living on in terrible VIA IGPs for a long time afterward.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 15, 2024