Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I like Wingard a lot as a director but that sounds like he's sugar-coating a "to sell toys" decision.

I haven't enjoyed a movie of his since, what, The Guest?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Death Note rules

And everyone who hates it loves the anime so definitely never going to watch that poo poo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Daaaamn, Godzilla toys have sure come a long way since I was a kid and these were the only two options available:

..... except only that one on the right was actually available, the Shogun Godzilla was impossible to find

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Daaaamn, Godzilla toys have sure come a long way since I was a kid and these were the only two options available:

..... except only that one on the right was actually available, the Shogun Godzilla was impossible to find

Except that both of those are amazing toys

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I found two complete shogan zillas while cleaning out this horder’s house (it wasn’t gross just lots of toys and stuff) and I should’ve taken it 😭😭😭

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

CelticPredator posted:

Death Note rules

And everyone who hates it loves the anime so definitely never going to watch that poo poo

His movie is very much a response to the anime so it's nice to have for context. I don't know that I could recommend it (the anime, that is) on its own.

e: realized it was ambiguous so to be clear i am very much in the "wingard's death note rules" camp

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 14, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I thought it was fun. Good gore.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

“They don’t have to like each other. They just have to work together.”

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

For whatever reason I'm now thinking of Space Jam except Godzilla gets teleported to space to battle Mecha MonStars and he needs a team of his own Kaiju and Michael Jordan to defeat then in a kaiju battle royale

It would have to be Charles Barkley, wouldn’t it? They have history.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZfv1u2PBeU

If it actually makes the WOM WOMWOM WOM WOM WOM noises as it gradually lights up I'm gonna have to buy one of these

Well I guess I need this. I'll just pretend I didn't just preorder the minus one figure since it's not being charged to my card til September :v:

Mr E fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 14, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqrpMRDuPfc

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
gay godzilla vs straight godzilla

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZfv1u2PBeU

If it actually makes the WOM WOMWOM WOM WOM WOM noises as it gradually lights up I'm gonna have to buy one of these

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C13YNuHLqq4/?igsh=MWhwNW5nazNpY29lNQ==
Seems like it does - saw this on Instagram last weekend

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

His movie is very much a response to the anime so it's nice to have for context. I don't know that I could recommend it (the anime, that is) on its own.

e: realized it was ambiguous so to be clear i am very much in the "wingard's death note rules" camp

yeah i would absolutely never call wingard's death note an even remotely good adaptation of the source material but as its own thing it's a fuckin fun movie

(i also think the anime for death note is so goddamn over the top melodramatic that it becomes super funny in a way that the manga doesn't tho)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

CelticPredator posted:

Death Note rules

You can enjoy a couple thingies, Death Note anime is something special. It's like the Breaking Bad of anime, the water-cooler wild ride of the 2000s. And it's really good too.

I always took the dark humor and bit of camp in the Death Note anime to be intentional, but anyway, it's a classic.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 14, 2024

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I actually think the melodrama of the death note anime really works for it, it fits with the tone of light thinking he’s an all powerful god. perfect, no notes

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://x.com/RickDaSquirrel/status/1757464653762863563?s=20

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Heavy Metal posted:

You can enjoy a couple thingies, Death Note anime is something special. It's like the Breaking Bad of anime, the water-cooler wild ride of the 2000s. And it's really good too.

I always took the dark humor and bit of camp in the Death Note anime to be intentional, but anyway, it's a classic.

I’m not watching it out of spite

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

CelticPredator posted:

I’m not watching it out of spite

I guess you gotta stick it to somebody. But these people you are apparently spiting who annoyed you with talk of the Netflix movie years ago are getting away blissfully unaware of this protest. Me, fellow forum Godzilla poster who loves the anime Death Note, I'm really taking the brunt of this thing. Collateral damage here.

Also, you know what you did. Posting about a popular thingy on a forum and saying you're not gonna watch it for an obscure reason. Tricky stuff. Played me like a fiddle

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Apes Together Kong

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I will see this movie, and that will be a thing that happened. Nothing will top the five seconds of Lance Reddick in the last one, bless him.

Jokes aside, that really is what me and my friends talked about the most. Lance stole the show without even trying, he was that good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Heavy Metal posted:

I guess you gotta stick it to somebody. But these people you are apparently spiting who annoyed you with talk of the Netflix movie years ago are getting away blissfully unaware of this protest. Me, fellow forum Godzilla poster who loves the anime Death Note, I'm really taking the brunt of this thing. Collateral damage here.

Also, you know what you did. Posting about a popular thingy on a forum and saying you're not gonna watch it for an obscure reason. Tricky stuff. Played me like a fiddle

I just think the movie is neat

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

CelticPredator posted:

I just think the movie is neat

That TV show won't taint your experience with that movie you like. They have the same high concept premise start thingy and that's about it. Also if you have these ideas of fandoms or things you read online from people preventing you from enjoying stuff, that doesn't seem like the way to go. I'm guessing you just don't feel like watching the show anyway so you have this bit going.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t feel like watching the show, no. I also just found it funny that my brother and I watched this movie with no idea other than it’s the guy who did you’re next and the guest and we enjoyed it and the guy who loves the anime sat crossed armed and angry lol

And they’re still angry.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Well, as a poster in the Godzilla thread, I think your friend's investment in that entertainment property sounds endearing and good. As for me and my friends, we didn't enjoy the Death Note Netflix movie much either, but we more kind of laughed about it.

I do enjoy some of Adam's other moves, The Guest is fun for sure.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Exactly. I’m sticking the movie thanks. That’s all I ever need lol

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
gently caress it, if we're going full stupid with this nonsense, I'll see the kaiju buddy cop film. Just do a giant monster movie version of the final fight from Lethal Weapon 4 and I'll be good.

I mean, it'll still be bad, but so was Lethal Weapon 4.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

whats death note

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

not much what’s death note you

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mantis42 posted:

whats death note

It’s basically anime The Departed.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Vintersorg posted:

Just so you know I am not loving around:

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/godzilla-x-kong-new-empire-buddy-cop-dynamic-lethal-weapon-exclusive/
Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire’s ‘Buddy-Cop’ Dynamic Is Inspired By Lethal Weapon – Exclusive Image

I'm assuming Kong is Riggs, because Zilla is definitely too old for this poo poo.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Stegosnaurlax posted:

I'm assuming Kong is Riggs, because Zilla is definitely too old for this poo poo.

Just from that photo you can see that Kong's fist has been upgraded into being a lethal weapon.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

For a "buddy cop" film I sure didn't see the "buddies" interact even a single time in that trailer...

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I just feel like giving Kong brass knuckles and upgrading Zilla's breath to pink is gonna backfire.

Somehow

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
This will be the first Godzilla film I intentionally skip in my life. I was pretty meh on GvK but dutifully went and saw it. This looks like a Kong movie with a special appearance by Godzilla. It also doubles down on the batshit absurdity of the previous film, which I didn’t like at all. Even as a popcorn flick, this is too much for me. Old man yells at cloud and all that but I don’t like how frenetic the franchise became. It’s just a video game cinematic now, which is a shame because Legendary’s original take in G’14 was pretty good.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

FooF posted:

This will be the first Godzilla film I intentionally skip in my life. I was pretty meh on GvK but dutifully went and saw it. This looks like a Kong movie with a special appearance by Godzilla. It also doubles down on the batshit absurdity of the previous film, which I didn’t like at all. Even as a popcorn flick, this is too much for me. Old man yells at cloud and all that but I don’t like how frenetic the franchise became. It’s just a video game cinematic now, which is a shame because Legendary’s original take in G’14 was pretty good.

I think I'll still go and see it but this echoes how I feel. I just wish there was something substantial to grasp onto, likable human characters or world building, something, but each of the Legendary films feels so shallow now and disconnected from any interesting narrative they could be pushing.

I feel like the Hollow Earth was also a massive mistake visually. It's hard to be invested in the scale of the Titan's when there aren't any real world signifiers around.

For example in this newest trailer the fight between Kong and Scar in the cave might as well be a scene from Planet of the Apes. They loose their sense of being massive.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I caught that they are using the "travel behind a kaiju to get down" scenario - it's by the waterfall and uses the same visuals. Potential time fuckery?

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

I think I'll still go and see it but this echoes how I feel. I just wish there was something substantial to grasp onto, likable human characters or world building, something, but each of the Legendary films feels so shallow now and disconnected from any interesting narrative they could be pushing.

I feel like the Hollow Earth was also a massive mistake visually. It's hard to be invested in the scale of the Titan's when there aren't any real world signifiers around.

For example in this newest trailer the fight between Kong and Scar in the cave might as well be a scene from Planet of the Apes. They loose their sense of being massive.

Yeah that’s the cardinal sin of the movie: you made Godzilla feel small. The only time you should ever attempt that is to highlight the sheer amount of destruction he’s caused (Shin did this to great effect). But, now, you have kaiju-sized amphitheaters with 200 foot-tall monkeys that, yes, looks like a normal thing for normal people to do.

The cast, the plot, etc., can be overlooked as schlock but don’t rob Big G of the “big” part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

any thoughts on who's behind the ice breath/blast because i hope it's something cool