Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

univbee posted:

It’s a weird situation because the backbone of video game platform success among the non-gamer masses (who are the majority population) is entirely predicated on its exclusives you can’t play on another console. And while Xbox releasing its games everywhere is “good for gamers”, it does mean there’s little compelling reason to buy an Xbox, if a PS5 has access to all the same games and also more. The things posted here about why Xbox is better aren’t things that “the masses” really have communicated to them or are particularly interested in.

People will buy what is available, in their price range and offers what they want. And if Sony is also planning to push games to multiplatform the reverse applies. I can see it boiling down to an "iPhone or Android" preference honestly. Also I don't really expect the PS5 to have gamepass or cloud streaming or similar. Also a lot of non gamer masses I know have no idea what an exclusive is, but you're right in that they might go "I want to play game, I need console".

It'll be hilarious to watch if both Xbox and PS start pulling down the walls of exclusivity in the name of corporate profits (which makes a lot of sense and seems very likely) because suddenly you're really just picking what controller and interface you prefer.

Edit: I think more importantly is it doesn't really seem like exclusives is a particularly effective method any more, at least in the eyes of the profit holders. I mean, I bought my Xbox cause it was available but I don't think I even checked what exclusives it had, it just plays games.

syntaxfunction fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

syntaxfunction posted:

And if Sony is also planning to push games to multiplatform the reverse applies.

Sounds like Sony is warming up to PC but they're not gonna publish anything on Xbox

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
If game pass and Sony is on PC without any release delays I'll be very happy as I can ditch consoles altogether.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What prevents any other company from offering an identical service to game pass, other than temporary exclusivity deals signed by MS?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
A storefront with thousands of available games.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

American McGay posted:

A storefront with thousands of available games.

You mean like steam?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

icantfindaname posted:

What prevents any other company from offering an identical service to game pass, other than temporary exclusivity deals signed by MS?
A large part of the library is Microsoft-owned titles.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I hope they mention abk games coming to gamepass soon. I got a hankering for diablo again

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
smh about people complaining about cloud gaming - console playing hasn‘t been about fidelity for a long time, it‘s about playing fps games with a loving controller because that‘s what’s convenient

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Maybe it has something to do with Microsoft's "We are totally not a monopoly, let us buy Blizzard" move

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

BonoMan posted:

Literally the most perfect gif. What the gently caress is going on with vidja games lately? Late stage capitalism?

It's this, the underlying issue is that there is no growth left in the console market. Gaming overall, while a huge industry, is pretty saturated. Everyone who wants a console already has one, there's no untapped market left.

VPs have to demonstrate business growth to keep their jobs. The best case for them is a big jump in revenue or profit. Failing that, they can show growth in some metric like Monthly Active Users, or a reduction in subscription churn. Something they can point to to convince shareholders that something good might be coming, just over the horizon.

A big company like MS demands not just growth, but rapid growth. A modest increase in profit year-over-year doesn't cut it. Presumably whatever they announce tomorrow is Phil's attempt to find some kind of growth he can point to big enough to keep the wolves at bay.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Gimme a big pile of activision titles on gamepass! Dump that slop

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Geeeeeeeet Zorked idiot

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

pthighs posted:

A big company like MS demands not just growth, but rapid growth.

MS has been subsidizing Xbox for 23 years.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Alright time for some hardcore sci-fi military shootemup action, ODST!

(sad noir detective blues start playing)

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Dead Island 2 is free to play for the next 4 days.

Get it, it's awesome.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Lube Enthusiast posted:

One of those leakers said that CoD wouldn't come to Game Pass at all.

Will be interesting to see if Phil clarifies anything regarding that or other ABK games. :eek:

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

MS has been subsidizing Xbox for 23 years.

Not surprising then that changes are coming. 23 years is a long time.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Volte posted:

A large part of the library is Microsoft-owned titles.

If the titles aren’t compelling enough to get people to buy consoles I doubt they’re compelling enough to get people to buy MS’s service instead of others

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Happy xbox death day, all. What're you going to do with your console after they brick them all tonight?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ColdPie posted:

Happy xbox death day, all. What're you going to do with your console after they brick them all tonight?

Use it to bash the Sony customer service rep who keeps banning my account for inactivity (?) and making me call the US from Japan.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I bet it's a huge bait and switch where Businesslord Phil has bought Nintendo

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Fanatic posted:

Will be interesting to see if Phil clarifies anything regarding that or other ABK games. :eek:

Not even the old ones? But Phil paid like 70 bajillion dollars

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fanatic posted:

Was it actual-leaker leakers, or people who remembered that Kotick wasn't too keen on those kinds of subscription services during the FTC trials.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

The Kins posted:

Was it actual-leaker leakers, or people who remembered that Kotick wasn't too keen on those kinds of subscription services during the FTC trials.
Pretty sure it was Timdog

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Okay NOW it’s the 15th :f5:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

microsoft's bold new business plan for next year:
-new crimson skies
-new mechassault
-full backwards compatibility with all original xbox and xbox 360 games
-viva pinata 3 as a switch exclusive
-master chief in smash bros

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

AndrewP posted:

Okay NOW it’s the 15th :f5:

3pm EST

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Volte posted:

Pretty sure it was Timdog

This post is not a joke btw, the source for "CoD may not be coming to Game Pass" is literally Timdog.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
"If every screen is an Xbox, no screen is an Xbox" - Friedrich Nietzsche Ecce Xboxen pg. 69

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
If you stare into the Xbox Redfall Stares back at you.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
This was all a stunt to increase the numbers for the podcast. We have been played for fools.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

microsoft's bold new business plan for next year:
-new crimson skies
-new mechassault
-full backwards compatibility with all original xbox and xbox 360 games
-viva pinata 3 as a switch exclusive
-master chief in smash bros

I'm in

raccoon.bmp
Feb 16, 2023

🦝
Scalebound would have saved the Xbox brand

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

raccoon.bmp posted:

Is that the weights and measures souls like

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

raccoon.bmp posted:

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I hope they mention abk games coming to gamepass soon. I got a hankering for diablo again

Mmm yeah let me and the wife run through couch co-op Diablos and just get the campaigns done. We had a ton of fun with 3 on the Switch.

Then I want to slam all the CoD campaigns because I've been missing out on that big dumb setpiece action movie vidya game

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

raccoon.bmp posted:

To this day Scalebound still feels like one of the weirdest ever quirks in console fandom.

People banged on about that for years based on absolutely jack poo poo. Dragons? A sword dude, I guess? Oh and Platinum were making it for the 28 people who buy their games.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

What is a Timdog? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk...

Have at you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Bumhead posted:

To this day Scalebound still feels like one of the weirdest ever quirks in console fandom.

People banged on about that for years based on absolutely jack poo poo. Dragons? A sword dude, I guess? Oh and Platinum were making it for the 28 people who buy their games.
Platinum were still kinda niche and had a great track record, and Xbox needed a big Japanese name. Unfortunately, it sounds like both sides kinda hosed it up and created a barely-functioning mess. Live and learn, I guess.

Speaking of Japanese games on Xbox...

https://twitter.com/tales_ch/status/1757979507963928979