Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

drilldo squirt posted:

The best part is punching them works.

Almost a millennium of cybernetic enhancement acquired from the assimilation of thousands of species

vs.

A knuckle sandwich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

redshirt posted:

Trek lost their boldness along the way, so recycling plots and popular characters becomes a go-to creative choice.

People like the Borg, ergo, the Borg must be featured as much as possible.

It's like Doctor Who and the Daleks. Gotta keep 'em coming back.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Its just writers ignoring everything the previous writers came up with to tell their own version.

The Borg first encountered humans in Q Who when Q sent the Ent D to run into them.

The Borg were later retconned to first encounter humans when they scooped up some human and romulan outposts at the end of season 1.

The Borg also first encountered humans when 7 of 9's parents got their little research ship and flew it to the far edge of the beta quadrant and spent a few months living next to a borg cube and studying them until they were all assimilated.

Finally, the Borg also also first encountered humans when past borg sent a signal in Enterprise at some random speed that is vastly faster than light but also much slower than normally used subspace so it will arrive at just the correct time for the previous episodes to happen.

First Contact was a decent action movie, but like all time travel stories doesn't make a lot of sense. If the borg can travel back in time, why plow through Star Fleet at all? They could have flown to the edge of Federation space, gone back in time, and then traveled the rest of the way through empty 21st century space and succeeded without humanity ever knowing what happened.

Eventually we learn that the borg have always had a transwarp conduit that dumps out right on the edge of the solar system at the end of Voyager, and even worse, they have another one, big enough to handle a gigacube, that dumps out in the red spot on Jupiter in Picard. So why did they send any cubes at all ever? Every IP gets dumber the longer it's around.

Don't forget the bonus one that the Bluegill were originally supposed to have summoned the Borg with their mysterious signal into deep space.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I suddenly wonder if borg nanoprobes are just an assimilated microbe species with some degree of forming sentient colonies. It would at least show how crazy the borg might get with assimilation.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
"You think Quark has something do with this?"

"I always investigate Quark "

Never change Odo.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

redshirt posted:

The amusing thing about the Borg in Trek is they were the "fearsome, implacable, inscrutable" enemy just for a couple of episodes. TNG started humanizing them pretty quick, and then movies and the Queen, then Voyager and Enterprise.

That happened because the showrunners were actually annoyed how perfect the Borg was as an enemy; you cannot reason with it, it does not care and it does not differentiate from its objectives. So they made them to have a Queen, or Queens, which have personal agendas and steer the hives as they please. It also didn't come completely from nowhere, because Borgs were originally envisioned to be those insects from the Conspiracy, and in general something akin to Tyranids from WH40K.

Gutcruncher posted:

On Enterprise they retconned it to “they already sent a signal home, and they’ll receive it in……..THE TWENTY FOURTH CENTURY!!”

But before that I always just figured it was a case of “they probably would’ve bumped into humans at some point anyway”

I actually like how they replaced the general hand-waving because of the changes to the designs between Q Who and Conspiracy, with a stable time loop involving First Contact and that ENT episode.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Man Dax is getting a lot of almost fatal injuries in season 6

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Man Dax is getting a lot of almost fatal injuries in season 6

Yeah, you hate to see a character receive almost fatal injuries. Almost fatal injuries are a real tragedy.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The Borg only actually appear 4 times in the entirety of TNG and in only the first two are they actual antagonists. I Borg is about how maybe the Borg aren’t so bad after all and Descent is some desperate ones being taken for a ride by Lore. And really that’s the trajectory they should have stayed on. You don’t worry about them being “too powerful” to be villains because you don’t keep them as “villains”. You keep them as something dangerous that we don’t fully understand and doesn’t fully understand us, but not actively gunning for us like a Klingon suicide squad. The DS9 Prophets are actually a good example of how the Borg should have been used in story after TNG, something scary you try not to piss off with a truly alien thought process, but not beyond contact. Unfortunately FC and Voyager retconned literally everything about them and made them a literal mindless zombie plague that isn’t alien in thought, it’s just Alice Krige being a dick with her collection of meat slaves.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
im pretty sure Picard wore the same outfit as Dax is wearing in this episode while her and Worf trek through a jungle

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

JediTalentAgent posted:

I suddenly wonder if borg nanoprobes are just an assimilated microbe species with some degree of forming sentient colonies. It would at least show how crazy the borg might get with assimilation.

That would actually be a kind of cool idea.

Nah, lets not do that, instead we'll have the borg Queen half melted into the bulkhead snarling and hissing as the Ent D pulls some sicc drifts flying around inside her giant exploding cube.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Confession: In the year 2000......

I wrote a fanfic story (more of an outline that could be turned into a novel) about the creation of the Borg. Standalone story not featuring the Federation or anyone else. Just a group of scientists on a dying world trying to save their civilization....

I really loved that "can't be reasoned with nor do they care about you" aspect of the Borg, but as said, that was gone pretty fast.

As an aside, the Replicators of SG-1 remained pretty much a Borg like adversary even as they changed over the show's run.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think the Trek solution for an enemy like the Borg that can't be reasoned with, ultimately being "yes we can and will reason with them anyway" is good

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MikeJF posted:

My personal fanwank about First Contact is that the time travel was actually the Borg having a bit of a panic after they lost their second cube to the Federation for unknown reasons. The Federation is primitive. That's not supposed to happen. GET RID OF THEM.

And then the sphere vanished back in time and... nothing changed and the collective was like WTF okay new plan don't go over there for a while.

It's like having a freakout when ants murder your exterminator. Twice.

It's even worse for the Borg when you consider the ENT episode; They sent a Cube to assimilate Earth, Sphere dispatched back in time to just say "gently caress it" and get the Federation before they become capable of defending against the Borg.

And now you're realizing the initial signal that prompted the Collective to go look in that corner of the galaxy came from that very Sphere's Drones and the Collective's just having a Collective Sigh over the whole thing being the Collective's own fault and staying away from the Alpha Quadrant for a while to not think about it anymore.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

galagazombie posted:

The Borg only actually appear 4 times in the entirety of TNG and in only the first two are they actual antagonists. I Borg is about how maybe the Borg aren’t so bad after all and Descent is some desperate ones being taken for a ride by Lore. And really that’s the trajectory they should have stayed on. You don’t worry about them being “too powerful” to be villains because you don’t keep them as “villains”.

I mean to keep space feeling "wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid.". Ideal after best of both worlds you don't have the borg turn up again.

Now when you design a new spices as memorable as the borg that's never going to happen, but ideally that's what you do. That makes them just one of countless weird unknowable things that just exist in the unknown and could be stumbled upon at any minute. It makes the universe just feel so much larger and mysterious.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Here's a question - would the Borg have any interest in assimilating the Jem'hadar, given they are also artificially grown drones with inbuilt drug dependency, near zero genetic variation and reduced capacity for higher reasoning?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Of course they would. They can genetically modify the dependency and the biological aspect of the brainwashing out of them, and in return they get data on super strong, super tough super soldiers who can naturally turn invisible.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Picard did a big open mouth kiss on the borg queen

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Picard did a big open mouth kiss on the borg queen

"Hey wait a minute, you cannot gently caress the Borg, fix this immediately!" Gene Roddenberry, most likely.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Drone bone or go home

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cookie Cutter posted:

Here's a question - would the Borg have any interest in assimilating the Jem'hadar, given they are also artificially grown drones with inbuilt drug dependency, near zero genetic variation and reduced capacity for higher reasoning?

Borg v the Dominion is always a fun "What if"

Would be a cool one off story if the Borg found one of the space sent Changelings.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The cube's limb-chopping machines go haywire, like what do we do here

naem
May 29, 2011

im pretty sure Picard wore the same outfit as Dax is wearing in this episode while her and Worf trek through a jungle

the replicators have a limited number of patterns

it’s how Garak stays in business

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The card game was willing to at least play with that stuff.

Mirror, Mirror had Borg Weyoun

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Patrick Stewart must have been real jealous of all the fighting action Bakula got. The guy has been beaten up or beat up someone frequently, hell maybe more than Kirk. I haven't seen all of TOS which I need to rectify. ENT's Enterprise has really grown on me. It looks great, business like and industrial.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How confusing is it to the Ferengi that the federation's flagship is named after capitalism

naem
May 29, 2011

John Wick of Dogs posted:

How confusing is it to the Ferengi that the federation's flagship is named after capitalism

interesting to think that enterprise used to mean business and in the post-scarcity federation it now means almost the exact opposite

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

redshirt posted:

Borg v the Dominion is always a fun "What if"

Would be a cool one off story if the Borg found one of the space sent Changelings.

I used to wonder how cool it would be for the Dominion and Borg to interact too, for years. Their borders almost touch afterall, I wonder how hosed up that part of space is? How do you assimilate an ocean of goo? Imagine shapeshifting nanoprobes, it could be like the ultimate grey goo nightmare.

Out of all the possibilities, I never considered the answer would be that the changelings, who notoriously hate and distrust solids, just become gormless cannon fodder and do whatever the borg tell them, then they die, each with their own standard issue Odo Bucket.

naem
May 29, 2011

the entire puddle Great Link becomes a Borg Cube™️©️

no humanoid beings walking around just an empty looking cube and WHOMM noises

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
CUNNING: 9

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

every changeling has a bucket :lol:

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Those loving buckets.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

and the Collective's just having a Collective Sigh

I audibly groaned. :golfclap:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Out of all the possibilities, I never considered the answer would be that the changelings, who notoriously hate and distrust solids, just become gormless cannon fodder and do whatever the borg tell them, then they die, each with their own standard issue Odo Bucket.

To be fair, it's only a small off-shoot group of Changelings that were captured and experimented on/tortured by Section 31, and maybe a couple others they convinced to join them.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Just a giant loving bucket goo flying through space

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You know how Odo’s bucket was a constant reminder for him of his isolation, lack of connection with others, and a source of embarrassment stemming from his self-perceived strangeness and trauma from his childhood?

Nah gently caress that everyone gets a bucket.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When he linked up the rest of the link was like "Oh gently caress that bucket he's complaining about was comfy as gently caress"

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I’m just imagining a space alien making their own “Star Trek” tv show. It has an alien race known as “humans” and the first officer on the ship is Riker.

For a couple decades they make more Star Treks and the Human race mostly falls out of the show until one series that heavily features humans.

“Every human has a trombone”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

I used to wonder how cool it would be for the Dominion and Borg to interact too, for years. Their borders almost touch afterall,

Not really: the two ends of the wormhole and where Voyager started form a nearly equilateral triangle. Borg space is many tens of thousands of light years from the Dominion.

(Personally, I've always thought of the Borg as being on an entirely different level than the Dominion. The Dominion is powerful and massive but relatively conventional. The Borg are... something else, and the Federation only ever survived because they're very far away and don't actually care much about the Federation)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 15, 2024