Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Sab669 posted:

Deep Rock Galactic: Survivors in EA today. Anyone gonna snag it? I almost certainly will tonight unless reviews say it's a dumpster fire.

I love it, played a shitload of the demo, it's my favorite survivors-like by a long way.

e: and I'm not really a DRG fan

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

RandomBlue posted:

I love it, played a shitload of the demo, it's my favorite survivors-like by a long way.

e: and I'm not really a DRG fan

I've only played a little bit but I like it a lot so far. The ability to cut your own tunnels opens up a lot more options in terms of movement, escaping, and making your own chokepoints.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I've only heard positive things about Survivors so far.

If nothing else, worth throwing the devs a couple bucks to keep them out of Embracer's current killing spree. They are also publishing DINO Lords which I'm really looking forward to.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Fruits of the sea posted:

I've only heard positive things about Survivors so far.

If nothing else, worth throwing the devs a couple bucks to keep them out of Embracer's current killing spree. They are also publishing DINO Lords which I'm really looking forward to.

I think the DRG:S devs are free from Embracer's influence unless I'm getting the associations wrong. DRG is Coffee Stain which is owned by Embracer but DRG:S was given over to an outfit called Funday Games who seem to be independent. I don't think using an IP under a license would allow the parent company of that IP holder to shut down your studio but IANAL.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Sort of correct, Ghost Ship Games are acting as publishers for a bunch of smaller studios local to them. Funday pitched dwarf survivors and they thought it was a cool idea.

Publisher inception, Embracer controls Coffee Stain, controls Ghost Ship, publishes Funday

But yeah, the Depp Rock Galactic dudes and possibly the studios they are helping might keep on going even if Coffee Stain was nuked.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 14, 2024

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

There are only 2 price tier sfor this one; if you want all the Capcom fg classics you'll want the $20 tier but if you just want Ultra SF4 then that's just $2 and probably the best price deal for it I've seen

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Also I just remembered during dinner that real time with pause is actually good and the name of real time with pause being good is Dungeon Siege. Have there been any modern games done in a similar vein?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Transistor has a cool mechanic where it's real time but you have a resource that you spend to go into turn-based bullet time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ff12 is good RTWP and the haters are wrong about it

the original ps2 version anyway

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

ZearothK posted:

Also I just remembered during dinner that real time with pause is actually good and the name of real time with pause being good is Dungeon Siege. Have there been any modern games done in a similar vein?

Hello fellow Dungeon Siege and real-time-with-pause enjoyer. Recent games I've enjoyed are Satellite Reign (the pause is actually a slow-down ability that your support unit gets), Tower of Time (interesting battle system, almost like a tower-defense-MOBA hybrid), revisiting Dragon Age Origins and KOTOR, and I'm interested in Dark Envoy (by the team who did Tower of Time) and Aarklash Legacy. There are also cRPGs like Tyranny and Pillars of Eternity which are popular, but I do feel like those games can be a bit messy when it comes to the implementation, as good as they can be otherwise.

Hwurmp posted:

do Mimimi's stealth strategy games count as RTw/P

That's a good point: recently played Desperados 3 and Shadow Tactics and they were great, and I'm sure the rest of their catalog is too.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 15, 2024

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ZearothK posted:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I thought it was just fighting games and they throw in both arcade classics packs as well, with optional invincibility cheats since they are hard as hell. Certainly worth the $20 for a couple dozen shmups and beatmups with your Streetmups.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 15, 2024

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

ff12 is good RTWP and the haters are wrong about it
we've all been saying this

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Did Steam just asplode for anyone else. It's not even Tuesday.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

Did Steam just asplode for anyone else. It's not even Tuesday.

For me it has

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Apparently when I rushed to Steamstat.us to check I was slightly too fast because everything still looked peachy. Not so much anymore.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Today is (not) Tuesday.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I feel like Steam has been randomly dying on any day it wants for years now. Tuesday still has maintenance but it can be any time at all that it goes down for five minutes.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Yup. This is the second night in a row, I'm thrown right out of a single player campaign mission in CoD Blops 3, being told I'm offline :ughh:

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Uh, whoops, looks like I got so caught up with Helldivers 2 that I dropped out of the rest of NextFest!

To give at least some kind of closure, I guess I'll present a short last list of games that I didn't get around to during the festival that looked interesting so people can check them out if they want before the demos collapse entirely.

I managed to play just a little bit of Diets & Deities. It feels like it's adding a lot of flash and cooking trivia to what is functionally just a simple rhythm game. And even then the story seems a little, pardon the expression, underbaked. But it did feel decently snappy so it might be worth a look?

Guild Saga: Vanished Worlds is a tactics-based JRPG. It's very pretty, it's got lots of customization, it's got crafting. I'm not really sure what Guild Saga is offering that's different than others in its genre, but if you want more of these type of games, here it is.

Soulmask is an open world survival/crafting game with management elements involving a bunch of tribesmen who you recr... okay, it's Palworld by a team that wasn't expecting that Palworld would actually come out and be good. Worth checking out for those people who want a game that looks like it has at least a little bit more of an idea as to where its endgame is going or would rather order humans around instead.

The demo for The Diner at the End of the Galaxy has definitely expired, but it sure looks interesting. It's mostly about building a diner, but there's some stuff about farming plots/sending out expeditions for resources and somehow your diner can pull on factions concerning the fate of the galaxy? Wild, and it looks gorgeous too.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 15, 2024

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hwurmp posted:

They definitely are! Very good ones too.

FutureCop posted:

Hello fellow Dungeon Siege and real-time-with-pause enjoyer. Recent games I've enjoyed are Satellite Reign (the pause is actually a slow-down ability that your support unit gets), Tower of Time (interesting battle system, almost like a tower-defense-MOBA hybrid), revisiting Dragon Age Origins and KOTOR, and I'm interested in Dark Envoy (by the team who did Tower of Time) and Aarklash Legacy. There are also cRPGs like Tyranny and Pillars of Eternity which are popular, but I do feel like those games can be a bit messy when it comes to the implementation, as good as they can be otherwise.

That's a good point: recently played Desperados 3 and Shadow Tactics and they were great, and I'm sure the rest of their catalog is too.

I really enjoyed Satellite Reign (lol, I actually had a dream about Syndicate Wars last night). Didn't care much for the gameplay on Tyranny and Pillars. I do have Tower of Time on GoG, so I might as well give it a shot. Aarklash Legacy is an unknown, but I see it has a demo, so might as well check that out as well later on. Thanks!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Worth noting for Satellite Reign: there's a mod that makes the pause a free toggle that lets you essentially do tactical pauses instead of an energy-draining ability:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/268870/discussions/0/305510202681294288/
Good game

Can also confirm that Aarklash Legacy is also a cool and unique game, it's pretty much a singleplayer RTwP MMO raid fight simulator. It gets pretty difficult too.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The 7th Guest posted:

Sad news, the creator of Suikoden and the upcoming Eiyuden Chronicles: Hundred Heroes has passed away

That sucks. :rip:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm enjoying Deep Rock Survivors a bit more than I expected to based on initial comments. Having to navigate the map, digging pathways, and having "secondary objectives" (collecting plants/minerals) per level is definitely a fresh enough breath in the genre.

I can see why people might be initially turned off on the upgrades for each weapon, but getting them high enough to hit the Overclocks is still interesting. Only thing I'm unclear on is if Paint Jobs are strictly a way to get closer to the OCs faster? Like the Weapon Level doesn't tweak its damage or anything whatsoever right?

I'm so bad at these games though, keep dying lol. Really want to unlock the Driller :argh:

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1013140/Outcast__A_New_Beginning/

Demo starts with menus running at 900fps. Go look at options while in the main menu and they're different than ingame. Game runs fine but feels sluggish and then you go check your inventory and the fps is somehow halved.

Maybe it'll launch fine

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jusupov posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1013140/Outcast__A_New_Beginning/

Demo starts with menus running at 900fps. Go look at options while in the main menu and they're different than ingame. Game runs fine but feels sluggish and then you go check your inventory and the fps is somehow halved.

Maybe it'll launch fine

The demo was a slideshow on my mediocre PC. Hopefully it'll get optimized... eventually.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Megazver posted:

The demo was a slideshow on my mediocre PC. Hopefully it'll get optimized... eventually.

That's pretty on brand for an Outcast reboot

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Just a friendly reminder to set a global FPS limit in your video card control panel so you never have to worry about your video card exploding from a shittily made game.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The human eye can't even perceive about 750 FPS anyway, just a waste of frames

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

explosivo posted:

Just a friendly reminder to set a global FPS limit in your video card control panel so you never have to worry about your video card exploding from a shittily made game.

Ubisoft's latest AAAA game is feeling exposed.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

explosivo posted:

I learned my lesson from original Minecraft. I didn't know FPS could be 3 digits before that

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

24fps is all you really need

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

explosivo posted:

Huh. I thought it was automatically limited by your monitor's refresh rate.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

explosivo posted:

Hey thanks, meltdown prevented

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If you were trying to play the Pacific Drive demo on Steam Deck last week but it wouldn’t boot up, give it another shot. It works now.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Hwurmp posted:

24fps is all you really need

I love your flight simulator

explosivo posted:

Actually, a good place to ask this - if I have a 144hz monitor, do I set the limit to 144 or 143? It feels like a dumb question but I feel like I see a lot of advice about setting a limit of 59 fps on a 60hz monitor, and always wondered why that is.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I hope they didn't ditch the gaamsaav in this Outcast sequel.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Squiggle posted:

Actually, a good place to ask this - if I have a 144hz monitor, do I set the limit to 144 or 143? It feels like a dumb question but I feel like I see a lot of advice about setting a limit of 59 fps on a 60hz monitor, and always wondered why that is.

I've seen people say to set the max below your actual refresh rate but it never made a difference to me so I just always set the cap to 144. Maybe there's a benefit to doing it the other way but :shrug:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Squiggle posted:

go one over

live a little

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Squiggle posted:

I love your flight simulator

140. The reason is, a VRR monitor (Freesync/Gsync) can slow down to match incoming frames, but it can't speed up faster than it can go. Frame pacing is never perfect, so if you try to get exactly 144 you'll inevitably get some too fast and either have tearing (vsync off) or increased latency (vsync on).

If a game has Reflex support, turn that on and disable the control panel cap for that game.
If the game lets you cap inside the game to 140, cap to that and disable the control panel cap for that game.

Vsync on regardless.