Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Turning telescope mic to russia:

Blyat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Prettz posted:

A nuke exploding in space is a threat to 1 satellite. Giant yawn.

Nope, go check out Operation Starfish, which wiped out multiple satellites.

And that was during a time where there was very few satellites in orbit.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

CommieGIR posted:

Nope, go check out Operation Starfish, which wiped out multiple satellites.

And that was during a time where there was very few satellites in orbit.

On top of that it fried electrical equipment and the telephone network in Hawaii.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Uh, there's already a nuke in space? It's called THE SUN perhaps you've heard of it?

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
A nuke in space without pressure to act against is like a fart without arse cheeks to clap.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Disco Pope posted:

Uh, there's already a nuke in space? It's called THE SUN perhaps you've heard of it?

first im hearing about it, sounds like american propaganda tbh

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

On top of that it fried electrical equipment and the telephone network in Hawaii.

And blacked out radio and radar systems in Hawaii for hours.

Regardless - while the US is taking it seriously, it feels like more chest beating on the part of Putin - He knows he cannot actually use the weapon without incurring US/NATO wrath, and it apparently isn't even in orbit yet.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Budzilla posted:

A nuke in space is bad. Look up Starfish Prime.

This is just an attempt to make me see pictures of buttholes, you can't fool me

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

And blacked out radio and radar systems in Hawaii for hours.

Regardless - while the US is taking it seriously, it feels like more chest beating on the part of Putin - He knows he cannot actually use the weapon without incurring US/NATO wrath, and it apparently isn't even in orbit yet.

What is US/NATO going to do though? Putin blows up some sats and we'll be whining how any response is an escalation and risks ww3 so we just have to let it go.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mobby_6kl posted:

What is US/NATO going to do though? Putin blows up some sats and we'll be whining how any response is an escalation and risks ww3 so we just have to let it go.

No, I suspect attacking satellite constellations would be viewed the same as a direct attack on a nation. Especially things critical to commerce and safety like GPS. It would absolutely necessitate some sort of military action.

Again, why this smells just like Putins usual Nuclear threats - something he cannot reasonably do without expecting actual consequences.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

CommieGIR posted:

No, I suspect attacking satellite constellations would be viewed the same as a direct attack on a nation. Especially things critical to commerce and safety like GPS. It would absolutely necessitate some sort of military action.

Again, why this smells just like Putins usual Nuclear threats - something he cannot reasonably do without expecting actual consequences.

Putin should split all the atoms in his body. For science.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, as bleak as this is, it doesn't *specifically* worry me because at a hypothetical point where nations are spacenuking each others satellites, it's just another flavour of being turbofucked.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Detonating a modern nuclear weapon in space would have some wild global consequences and uncontrollable collateral damage to unaligned nation's assets. It's a monumentally stupid thing to do or even threaten, nevermind what it does to MAD calculus.

e: Like, a nuke that disables a bunch of satellites will inevitably damage or disable unrelated nation's satellites, even ignoring that it would disrupt radio and whatnot

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 15, 2024

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Antigravitas posted:

Detonating a modern nuclear weapon in space would have some wild global consequences and uncontrollable collateral damage to unaligned nation's assets. It's a monumentally stupid thing to do or even threaten, nevermind what it does to MAD calculus.

Next thing you'll tell me is that Hitler will stop at Austria.

Dictators are gamblers. They will keep rolling the dice until they lose, and Putin as we have seen is stupid enough to keep rolling the dice.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
US Congress should re-write the laws of physics so nukes don't work anymore.

DO YOUR JOB, CONGRESS!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
considering the track record of Russian attempts to develop these 'experimental' weapons, I would be more worried they might accidentally spread radiation in some of their tests long before they have some working prototype

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Comstar posted:

Next thing you'll tell me is that Hitler will stop at Austria.

Dictators are gamblers. They will keep rolling the dice until they lose, and Putin as we have seen is stupid enough to keep rolling the dice.

Using a nuclear device is not gambling - nobody is going to just handwave that. And Putin knows that. If he was really that much of a gambler, he'd have already used one like he's threatened to multiple times during this campaign.

Putin is not that dumb. He knows that's a line that you only cross if you are 100% sure nobody will blink.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 15, 2024

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Next thing you know they will put something really dangerous in orbit like a T-14 Armata. In the vacuum of space it might catch fire less, but a satellite that can pop smoke means extra grifting for "stealth" research.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
In space, no one can hear you blyat...

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

The so-called Nuclear ASAT weapon has already served its purpose - propaganda. Its got people talking about how dangerous and crazy Putin and Russia are. Putting nukes in space would be a huge and dangerous escalation but you never know - they might just go there! They might really do it!

I highly doubt it was developed for actual military advantage. It was very likely done for exactly the same as the Hypersonic Missiles, the Poseidon 'Nuclear Tsunami' Torpedoes. Its done for the same reason that Medvedev issues those drunken threats of nuclear war, and why they hover ships menacingly over underwater internet cables.

They want to further a narrative that Russia is crazy and create a feeling in Western publics of their way of life being threatened if they don't calm things down with Russia - that they will suffer directly if their governments don't back down - by higher gas/oil prices, by losing GPS and internet, or worst of all die in a nuclear conflict, etc.

They hope that this will cause Western resolve to waiver, and lead to 'rational' people speaking up and saying that the West needs to be the 'bigger man' and seek to compromise (including a raft of concessions) with Russia before things get out of hand.

Its a propaganda boondoggle.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tigey posted:

The so-called Nuclear ASAT weapon has already served its purpose - propaganda. Its got people talking about how dangerous and crazy Putin and Russia are. Putting nukes in space would be a huge and dangerous escalation but you never know - they might just go there! They might really do it!

I highly doubt it was developed for actual military advantage. It was very likely done for exactly the same as the Hypersonic Missiles, the Poseidon 'Nuclear Tsunami' Torpedoes. Its done for the same reason that Medvedev issues those drunken threats of nuclear war, and why they hover ships menacingly over underwater internet cables.

They want to further a narrative that Russia is crazy and create a feeling in Western publics of their way of life being threatened if they don't calm things down with Russia - that they will suffer directly if their governments don't back down - by higher gas/oil prices, by losing GPS and internet, or worst of all die in a nuclear conflict, etc.

They hope that this will cause Western resolve to waiver, and lead to 'rational' people speaking up and saying that the West needs to be the 'bigger man' and seek to compromise (including a raft of concessions) with Russia before things get out of hand.

Its a propaganda boondoggle.

Yup. Nothing more. Its a weapon, although possibly powerful, you cannot use in an realistic scenario that doesn't violate MAD.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

The comedy option would be for the US to successfully use it in its own domestic propaganda and actually manages to get the Ukraine aid bill past the US House.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I wouldn't trust Russia to be able to launch a rocket these days.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

redshirt posted:

I wouldn't trust Russia to be able to launch a rocket these days.

I'd expect if they did get something into orbit an inspection would reveal it's a sheet metal box with nothing inside.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Canadian family moves to glorious Russia for reasons of nohomo, proceeds to have all their money stolen and will probably be hit with the foreign agent thing:

https://twitter.com/chudsoftiktok/status/1758041553967186159

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Flee woke, go broke.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The_Franz posted:

Canadian family moves to glorious Russia for reasons of nohomo, proceeds to have all their money stolen and will probably be hit with the foreign agent thing:

Feel bad for their kids, but the parents deserve everything they are facing. This was practically predictable.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

The_Franz posted:

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha

EDIT

CommieGIR posted:

Feel bad for their kids, but the parents deserve everything they are facing. This was practically predictable.

:same:

the oldest has to be 8-9. They left living on a farm in Canada to being refugees in Russia.... :sigh:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
A combination of contemptible (to the parents) and pitiable (to the kids).

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I can't believe the leopards ate my face

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

The_Franz posted:

I’m more interested in the haunted doll who came to life and became a news reader

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

:lol:

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

I'm sure the father will be on a plane in no time and his family will receive a fortune of fish block delites.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

They should start a Chud Go Fund me to rake in that sweet right wing Russian loving cash.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The father can join the dagestani conscript baralion and serve his new country proudly.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The father can join the dagestani conscript baralion and serve his new country proudly.

Is that like a gorillion?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

The_Franz posted:

The poor kids, but their parents are a couple of loonies for doing that. :ughh:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1758043750507454824#m

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just Another Lurker posted:

a couple of loonies

the term is toonie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

Are they Russian-Canadians? Thats more plausible if they already have some roots there.

LMAO nevertheless