Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Eric Cantonese posted:

The Incredibles was also animated. I think it's a little trickier to translate the FF to live action, but I see your point.

but this is another point - the sony animated spider-mans do fuckin gangbusters, why not just do one marvel series that's a little different and like rotoscope it or do loving claymation idk something cool instead of the same lovely live action cgi stretchy arms we've seen again and again but THIS TIME they'll look 10% better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Eric Cantonese posted:

The Incredibles was also animated. I think it's a little trickier to translate the FF to live action, but I see your point.

Almost as if everything doesn’t need to be a live action feature film.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

DaysBefore posted:

Also the episode of Community where Chang does blackface while a drow in Dungeons and Dragons lol

it's crazy how dark they got him

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

looping this back to the 90s x-men cartoon, their cameo eps in that series were my favorite representation of them (except for venture bros)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Fried Watermelon posted:

the tone is necessary to traverse the underdark without alerting the monsters

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Fried Watermelon posted:

Username post combo

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i say swears online posted:

the tone is necessary to traverse the underdark without alerting the monsters

THANK YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
nobody was even asking them to take down those episodes

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

genuinely one of the dumbest reactions to blm possible

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Al! posted:

nobody was even asking them to take down those episodes
they literally can't put them back up now, they'll have to admit it was a meaningless gesture no one asked for lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

"could cops stop shooting black people? no, because you rioted and looted. but we will take down some tv episodes. you're welcome"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Al! posted:

"could cops stop shooting black people? no, because you rioted and looted. but we will take down some tv episodes. you're welcome"

lol i totally forgot this was happening at the same time as the more-justified ripping down of Robert E Lee statues

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

lol i totally forgot this was happening at the same time as the more-justified ripping down of Robert E Lee statues

yep, it was the tv networks one and only reaction to blm: take down some unprofitable tv show episodes

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Pedro Pascal is raw charisma
If he can't make it work I don't think anyone is gonna be able to

Reed isn't supposed to be charismatic he's supposed to be an egghead fuckup

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

indigi posted:

Reed isn't supposed to be charismatic he's supposed to be an egghead fuckup

he's lucky they all got superhero powers otherwise he would have been known as the scientist that gave his entire family bone cancer

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Al! posted:

yep, it was the tv networks one and only reaction to blm: take down some unprofitable tv show episodes

Didn't even do a canned broadcast calling people to post a black square in their insta

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the funniest blackface pull I know is an episode of golden girls where they forget to take off mud masks from a spa trip. Somebody internally was just itching to rip it down I guess bc there is no earthly way it was on top of anybody's mind in 2020.

More likely is the networks have a List of all their racist adjacent material, which is also cool to think about

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
"we at Netflix understand this powerful reaction to the murder of George Floyd and only have one thing to say: we have removed the episode of Community where they play Dungeons and Dragons. You're welcome."

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I think the main problem with F4 movies is they try to force them into the superhero mold rather than let them be family adventure movies. it should be a lot more like Swiss Family Robinson, Jumanji, or even True Lies than Avengers or X-Men

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Al! posted:

genuinely one of the dumbest reactions to blm possible

My favorite example of this was how the Thug Kitchen cookbooks, that are written by a well-off white woman, changed to a different name in 2020.

Good recipes tho even if the presentation is painful to read.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
"Mr. Fantastic" is a pretty lovely hero name it tells you absolutely nothing about what he can do, he just sounds like a dreamboat hunk or something lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
"Mr. Fantastic" Vs. "The Sinister Dud"!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Al! posted:

megan ganz, who was the woman dan harmon sexually harassed. full circle

She rules, some.of the funniest Community eps were her too.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

"we at Netflix understand this powerful reaction to the murder of George Floyd and only have one thing to say: we have removed the episode of Community where they play Dungeons and Dragons. You're welcome."

It's also the episode where the gang tries to prevent a suicide they caused by giving a fat guy named Neil the nickname Fat Neil which means taking it down was also a win for anti-ableism

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

It's also the episode where the gang tries to prevent a suicide they caused by giving a fat guy named Neil the nickname Fat Neil which means taking it down was also a win for anti-ableism

"Faaaaat. I wanna make him as Fat as Fat Neil."

one of the most evil line deliveries of all time

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DaysBefore posted:

It's a great episode.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

but this is another point - the sony animated spider-mans do fuckin gangbusters, why not just do one marvel series that's a little different and like rotoscope it or do loving claymation idk something cool instead of the same lovely live action cgi stretchy arms we've seen again and again but THIS TIME they'll look 10% better!

They tried stop motion with that m.o.d.o.k. sitcom that existed on hulu for some reason, it was really bad

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
"Baste your chubby cheeks in tears of gravy"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

goth smoking cloves posted:

They tried stop motion with that m.o.d.o.k. sitcom that existed on hulu for some reason, it was really bad

that's your fault for watching a modok sitcom

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

indigi posted:

I think the main problem with F4 movies is they try to force them into the superhero mold rather than let them be family adventure movies. it should be a lot more like Swiss Family Robinson, Jumanji, or even True Lies than Avengers or X-Men

But the whole purpose of superheroes is to not do this. The purpose is to steal the trappings of other works to pretend they’re doing something new and then run them through the stock superhero plots.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

that's an interesting thought. i wonder if he was 15 years older will neff would have been in college grossout comedies instead of livestreaming
I mean, I can name four different streamers who have or had ambitions of an acting career, and I imagine there are a lot more. Streaming does seem like a pretty good deal in that regard, where even if you fail to build a profile big enough to actually launch an acting career you might still achieve some form of national/international fame.

no they are not actually rarer because there are more movies and TV shows being made now than ever, they made like over 100 Hallmark Christmas movies just last year. The question is, how many of those people are successfully breaking into "the mainstream" which is really hard to answer because the mainstream is incredibly fractured and doesn't really exist outside of maybe 4 movies and 2 televised events a year now
If we see it as less "the mainstream" fracturing and more it just consolidating around an increasingly smaller slice of the pie, it would make sense that there appeared to be fewer young actors, because the consolidation is partly an ossification of the existing A-list structure which is ever-aging. And the young actors that do manage to get in would then also be more likely to be nepo-babies, because they basically have to be given a shot. ("the mainstream" is society)

DaysBefore posted:

Sounds like a win for ableism actually, removing a powerful story about the how ableist ideology destroys lives.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

It's a great episode.

it is actually one of the best

Abed trying to make Jeff do a sex scene and Annie salvaging the situation while Troy took notes was another standout moment

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Mr Hootington posted:

Of course. Only the true fans got to see the best ASiP episode made

it's like the samizdat from infinite jest or the lost episode from I'm a virgo

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX2UEWvTX-Y

Pierce was loving deranged in this one, it was so good. Worst part of Community was whenever they tried to dial him back and make him less awful when he obviously worked best as just a real rear end in a top hat piece of poo poo

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Fried Watermelon posted:

Jesus christ lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

goth smoking cloves posted:

made by the same unfunny people who made robot chicken if that helps

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Pedro Pascal is raw charisma
If he can't make it work I don't think anyone is gonna be able to

His main superpower is stretching and bouncing around like a rubber band. It could get really goofy.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Al! posted:

oh that one was easy. leboeuf cant act and isn't funny except as a one off reference. not sure why they were trying to shove him down our throat 10 years ago

iirc spielberg really likes/liked shia but then he couldn't be normal so that gravy train left the station

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Al! posted:

they took the always sunny lethal weapon episodes from us. never forget

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
The beef may be a psycho but he is a good actor

Harnett been in good stuff but none of his performances really stand out in my memory so that might be fair

Anyways the greatest example of an objectively successful atrocious actor is Tarantino lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

what are you talking about, he was great as An Elvis in that episode of Golden Girls