Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Xenomrph posted:

I want a Trazyn book (or short story anthology) that’s just him and his servants committing increasingly elaborate and insane heists to steal random poo poo.

:haibrow:

Especially if he tries to steal the Emperor.

Honestly I want to see Trazyn and Erebus face off somehow. Only Trazyn is annoying enough to give Erebus what he deserves. Or maybe a Trazyn/Cawl team up against Erebus.

Basically I just want to see Erebus get clowned on for a whole book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sadly with the chaos guys they lose effectiveness (and narrative interest) as they go deeper into it

I mean Mortarion just kind of sits in his castle and mopes

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Abbadon is just a lovely liberal

His problem with Imperium is who is running it, not that it is all hosed up

It's his turn

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I really, really, want to read about someone calling Kharn a pussy for still not killing Erebus, after what he did to Argel Tal.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Shroud posted:

I really, really, want to read about someone calling Kharn a pussy for still not killing Erebus, after what he did to Argel Tal.

Erebus chickened out of that fight and fled, it wasn't for lack of trying on Kharn's part. And any idiot who'd say that about Kharn would very quickly wish they could teleport away like Erebus did.

I like to imagine Erebus makes sure he's on the opposite end of the Warp from wherever Kharn currently is.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
I wouldn't mind an Erebus novella where it's revealed he knows he's a pawn but is having such a good time with his schemes and betrayals that he doesn't mind.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Kylaer posted:

:haibrow:

Especially if he tries to steal the Emperor.

Honestly I want to see Trazyn and Erebus face off somehow. Only Trazyn is annoying enough to give Erebus what he deserves. Or maybe a Trazyn/Cawl team up against Erebus.

Basically I just want to see Erebus get clowned on for a whole book.

Trazyn tries to steal Erebus and put him in the collection. Like, kidnap the man himself and put him in Solemnace permanently in a goofy compromising pose in stasis for all eternity.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

notaspy posted:

Abbadon is just a lovely liberal

His problem with Imperium is who is running it, not that it is all hosed up

It's his turn

that was only true 30K years ago tbh, I think his vision of the Imperium is now extremely different from modern 40K

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
What even is his vision for the imperium in 40k.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

OPAONI posted:

I wouldn't mind an Erebus novella where it's revealed he knows he's a pawn but is having such a good time with his schemes and betrayals that he doesn't mind.

Didn't he straight up say that already

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

What even is his vision for the imperium in 40k.

He dreams of global disarmament

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Abbadon stared into the astronomicon for who knows how long and is likely now an agent of the throne, except the throne barely has anything to do with the Imperium anymore except as a symbol. What that's actually going to mean is why we're all waiting for Black Legion 3.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Sextro posted:

Abbadon stared into the astronomicon for who knows how long and is likely now an agent of the throne, except the throne barely has anything to do with the Imperium anymore except as a symbol. What that's actually going to mean is why we're all waiting for Black Legion 3.

I have only listened to TEaTD so I don't know if this happened or not.

I thought the astronomican subplot was Dark Angel dude v. Death Guard dude? And something about a demon in the hollow mountain.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

notaspy posted:

I have only listened to TEaTD so I don't know if this happened or not.

I thought the astronomican subplot was Dark Angel dude v. Death Guard dude? And something about a demon in the hollow mountain.

ADB's black legion series finds Abaddon (circa sometime before the 1st black crusade, but post-scouring) hanging out alone doing wacky science, studying philosophy, and staring at a weird warp effect that causes the astronomicon to be visible to the naked eye for so long his eyes glow gold. Also he behaves nothing like the guy any of his old comrades knew for a long while until he "Gets his groove back".

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Xenomrph posted:

Trazyn tries to steal Erebus and put him in the collection. Like, kidnap the man himself and put him in Solemnace permanently in a goofy compromising pose in stasis for all eternity.

Trazyn succeeds in kidnapping Erebus, but the Chaos Gods keep breaking him out. Trazyn catches him five or six times in various ways but can never hold on to him :hmmyes:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Abaddon is a great character as developed because he really shows the limits of chaos, its self-defeating nature and the kind of person it attracts. The one thing he could do that would defeat the imperium is the one thing he can never, by definition, do: unite the chaos powers behind him. They won’t ever let him accomplish his goal because then they have no leverage over him, and he won’t ever give in to them because then he’d never accomplish his goal. He’s a guy running on an endless treadmill chasing a carrot, and by this point he must know it, but he’s too stubborn to change course. He has forgotten how to be anything other than what he is.

just want to magnify this. because :hmmyes:

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Sextro posted:

ADB's black legion series finds Abaddon (circa sometime before the 1st black crusade, but post-scouring) hanging out alone doing wacky science, studying philosophy, and staring at a weird warp effect that causes the astronomicon to be visible to the naked eye for so long his eyes glow gold. Also he behaves nothing like the guy any of his old comrades knew for a long while until he "Gets his groove back".

Whoops, forgot all about that

I really like Abaddon, I think he is a cool character who does cool stuff

Serdain
Aug 13, 2007
dicksdicksdicks

I started reading the Novis Nobiliae one instead on a whim and I like this tough ol' mum character.

Also re Abaddon - yep - Chaos loves it's treadmills and doesn't like when things finish.

Just ask ya boy Fabius.

I always sorta thought his philosophy sorta hewed close to Anarchy. It's not that he knows what good is, it's that he knows the imperium is bad. His moral imperative is to destroy the bad thing.. that's all.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
that's actually why they love erebus so much. he's always enacting their will, but he's also a gently caress up so nothing really happens. that's funny enough to the Gods that they just give amazing plot armour.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Erebus sees someone use completely chaos-free magic right in front of him to kill 4 greater daemons and says "nah, I'm still pretty sure my way is the only way."

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

wiegieman posted:

Erebus sees someone use completely chaos-free magic right in front of him to kill 4 greater daemons and says "nah, I'm still pretty sure my way is the only way."

RIP to those guys, but he's different.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Serdain posted:

I started reading the Novis Nobiliae one instead on a whim and I like this tough ol' mum character.

Also re Abaddon - yep - Chaos loves it's treadmills and doesn't like when things finish.

Just ask ya boy Fabius.

I always sorta thought his philosophy sorta hewed close to Anarchy. It's not that he knows what good is, it's that he knows the imperium is bad. His moral imperative is to destroy the bad thing.. that's all.

I've been screaming in this thread for a while now that everybody needs to read Rites of Passage so I am really glad to see more people got around to it. If you liked the Trazyn vs Orikan grouchy old man dialog in Infinite and The Divine you will also very much enjoy Rites of Passage in which Mike Brooks combined all four golden girls and put her in charge of a navigator house.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

D-Pad posted:

I've been screaming in this thread for a while now that everybody needs to read Rites of Passage so I am really glad to see more people got around to it. If you liked the Trazyn vs Orikan grouchy old man dialog in Infinite and The Divine you will also very much enjoy Rites of Passage in which Mike Brooks combined all four golden girls and put her in charge of a navigator house.

The Infinite and the Divine is one of my favorite 40K books and I thought Rites of Passage was mediocre :shrug: And it isn't that Mike Brooks can't do humor because his Orks books are hilarious. Rites certainly isn't a bad book, it just didn't stand out as anything special to me, kind of like the Huron Blackheart book I guess.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Finally got round to reading Godblight after finishing the first two books years ago

sensible chuckle that the tank commander finally got driven close enough that he could hit them with his sword

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023
Trazyn and Cawl buddy comedy. Trazyn shows up in the 42nd Millennium to collect Cawl again (since he only let him go the first time so he could see what the Primarus project would look like and said he’d be back in a few hundred years) and Cawl convinces him to do a team up heist together instead to steal something Cawl wants to study. Meanwhile Cawl has to keep distracting Imperials who want to bring him to account so they don’t catch him working with a xenos

Fall of Acadia laid the groundwork for it. Make it happen

(Trazyn picking apart Cawl’s custom gear for unique pieces while Cawl is trying to get him to stop while on the comm with Creed was a great bit. “Oops, I lost it”)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I desperately want someone to write a 40K version of It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad Galaxy where Trazyn, Cawl, some Red Corsair pirates, an entire ship full of Loota Boyz and anyone else interested take off on a galaxy-wide treasure hunt.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Grilled Beef posted:

Trazyn and Cawl buddy comedy. Trazyn shows up in the 42nd Millennium to collect Cawl again (since he only let him go the first time so he could see what the Primarus project would look like and said he’d be back in a few hundred years) and Cawl convinces him to do a team up heist together instead to steal something Cawl wants to study. Meanwhile Cawl has to keep distracting Imperials who want to bring him to account so they don’t catch him working with a xenos

Fall of Acadia laid the groundwork for it. Make it happen

(Trazyn picking apart Cawl’s custom gear for unique pieces while Cawl is trying to get him to stop while on the comm with Creed was a great bit. “Oops, I lost it”)

Added wrinkle, one of the Cawl lessers is their opponent.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Azubah posted:

Added wrinkle, one of the Cawl lessers is their opponent.

Another wrinkle, the treasure is in the middle of Comorragh.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

And it's all on a flat plain.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

D-Pad posted:

It was really nice to a see a 40K story that's essentially about a really committed parent. Navigator politics and general weirdness was fun, but that was one ride-or-die mom.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/02/18/sunday-preview-the-dark-angels-prepare-to-mobilise/

Do you want some books? Of course ya do!

After a slow couple of weeks, things are picking up again with some pre-orders of... Space Marine books.

Oh well. v:v:v

First up there's Lazarus: Enmity’s Edge by Gary Kloster. First in what I assume is going to be a series dedicated to Primaris Lieutenant models.

Available in the usual first release versions.

Then Cypher: Lord of the Fallen by John French is getting a paperback release.

And because GW can't let things go, The End Times: Doom of the Old World collects a bunch of stories from the the end of Warhammer Fantasy event.

The anthology features The Curse of Khaine by Gav Thorpe, The Rise of the Horned Rat by Guy Haley, The Lord of the End Times by Josh Reynolds, and two short stories, The Siege of Naggarond by Sarah Cawkwell and Bride of Khaine by Graeme Lyon into one paperback book.

If you simply can't get enough of Dark Angels, then audiobook version The Purging of Kadillus by Gav Thorpe also goes up for pre-order.

Not that I'd ever want to read or listen anything Gav has done, but that's just me.

Lastly, there will be another batch of Print On Demand Ciaphas Cain books.

quote:

These Print on Demand books will be available to order from Saturday until the 3rd of March, and delivery may take up to 180 days.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Since all the siege of Terra books are out I finally started reading them and daddy Dorn being super pissed at Sigismund without any context is real funny.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Popy posted:

Since all the siege of Terra books are out I finally started reading them and daddy Dorn being super pissed at Sigismund without any context is real funny.

I'd read the book that explains why Dorn is so pissy, but I'd completely forgotten what it was all about so this was kinda hilarious for me, too.

Turns out Sigsimund was right though. He did a LOT more for the Imperium by defying daddy's orders and coming home for future glory in the long run. Being unleashed as a champion-seeking, officer hunting murder machine and waffle stomping anyone who threatened the pilgrims probably did a lot more good than dying on a ship in the early stages

Although now I say that... I can't remember much about that book... wasn't the Fist fleet about to actually beat Perturabo in the void before being called home?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The Purging of Kadillus by Gav Thorpe

I must have read that one, I read all the Space Marine Battles books, but I have not the faintest recollection of that one, even after reading the book blurb on Amazon to remind myself.

That's probably not a good sign.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

OMG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F-Yq5YXL9c

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

:bisonyes:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

That's amazing.

Definitive proof that GW's "you get a licence! you get a licence! EVERYBODY GETS A LICENCE!" videogame strategy was the righteous one.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
apparently they are doing a call of duty crossover as well according to dataminers so hey they might just be whoring that IP around

(yes they are whoring that IP around lol its gw)

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Not what I meant when I asked for the Scouring, but I'll take it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Dog_Meat posted:

I'd read the book that explains why Dorn is so pissy, but I'd completely forgotten what it was all about so this was kinda hilarious for me, too.

Turns out Sigsimund was right though. He did a LOT more for the Imperium by defying daddy's orders and coming home for future glory in the long run. Being unleashed as a champion-seeking, officer hunting murder machine and waffle stomping anyone who threatened the pilgrims probably did a lot more good than dying on a ship in the early stages

Although now I say that... I can't remember much about that book... wasn't the Fist fleet about to actually beat Perturabo in the void before being called home?

I believe so. If I remember right, Pollux had to choose between destroying Perturabo's flagship (while Perturabo was in it), or following Dorn's orders and returning to the Terran muster.