Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I’ve been a little out of it but did the thread know about Paxcess?

https://paxlovid.iassist.com/

https://www.paxlovid.com/paxcess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

“COVID is everywhere,” Rogers-Hall said. “Life goes on. It has to go on.”

https://y.yarn.co/8e0931bc-94cf-4bc8-8bb5-4c86ea22cde4.mp4

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Petey posted:

I’ve been a little out of it but did the thread know about Paxcess?

https://paxlovid.iassist.com/

https://www.paxlovid.com/paxcess

From a minor test (outside the thread), it seemed to be pretty cumbersome and ultimately pointless compared to test2treat. The end result of the test was a voucher for local pharmacy pickup.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

U-DO Burger posted:

My spouse and I have been on the same page for well over a year now, and that's probably not changing anytime soon. My kids all enjoy masks and not getting sick. It's weird, my family is actually in alignment on everything re:Covid.

However, my parents, siblings, and relatives are all loving sick of my family's Covid precautions and clearly deeply resent me and my wife because of them. I didn't think the people I grew up with would grumble so openly about having to consistently take steps to protect my kids, but here we are.

yep

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington State's Respiratory Illness Dashboard.

Positive clinical cases (tests administered at CLIA certified or CLIA waived labs) as reported by healthcare facility.

pre:
Cases      Changes in state counts reported:
week of:    3wk ago  2wk ago  1wk ago  This week Wkly Trend	Total
Feb 04            -        -        -    + 2,831     ↓ 8.4%     2,831
Jan 28            -        -    2,919      + 171    ↓ 10.6%     3,090
Jan 21            -    3,275      160       + 22     ↑ 9.5%     3,457
Jan 14        2,844      246       34       + 33     ↓ 6.5%     3,157
Jan 07          278       39       29       + 30    ↓ 10.1%     3,378
Thru 2023        95       13       46      + 334              151,865
Emergency Visits with confirmed COVID-19 in Washington state facilities. Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence. Most recent week of data is incomplete.

pre:
ED Visits      Changes in Recent Counts:
Feb 04            -        -        -    + 1,064     ↓ 4.3%     1,064
Jan 28            -        -      981      + 131    ↓ 16.7%     1,112
Jan 21            -    1,155      126       + 54    ↑ 16.4%     1,335
Jan 14        1,103       -6       50          -    ↓ 16.0%     1,147
Jan 07           52       51        -          -    ↓ 10.6%     1,365
Thru 2023       146        -        -          -               51,196

New hospital admissions in Washington state facilities with laboratory confirmed COVID-19 as reported by the state and HHS. Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence. Most recent week of data is incomplete.

pre:
Hosp. Admissions      Changes in Recent Counts:
Feb 04            -        -        -      + 371     ↑ 4.2%       371
Jan 28            -        -      372       - 16     ↓ 4.3%       356
Jan 21            -      398      -26          -     ↓ 3.6%       372
Jan 14          386        9       -9          -     ↑ 5.8%       386
Jan 07          -39        6       -1          -    ↓ 15.9%       365
Thru 2023         -       -1        -          -               14,934
Total occupied inpatient beds (excludes ICU beds) used in Washington state facilities with diagnostic codes for COVID-19 (U07.1) and pneumonia due to COVID-19 (J12.82). Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence.

pre:
Beds in Use      Changes in Recent Counts:	
Feb 04            -        -        -    + 2,191     ↓ 2.2%     2,191
Jan 28            -        -    2,233        + 7     ↓ 9.1%     2,240
Jan 21            -    2,478      -14          -     ↑ 0.6%     2,464
Jan 14        2,450        -        -          -    ↓ 10.7%     2,450
Jan 07           35        -        -          -     ↑ 4.3%     2,744
Thru 2023       -21        -        -          -               97,391
Total occupied ICU beds used in Washington state facilities with diagnostic codes for COVID-19 (U07.1) and pneumonia due to COVID-19 (J12.82). Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence.

pre:
ICU in Use      Changes in Recent Counts:	
Feb 04            -        -        -      + 245     ↓ 2.8%       245
Jan 28            -        -      259        - 7     ↓ 2.7%       252
Jan 21            -      259        -          -    ↑ 19.4%       259
Jan 14          217        -        -          -    ↓ 18.4%       217
Jan 07            -        -        -          -    ↓ 11.6%       266
Thru 2023         -        -        -          -               11,095
Recent deaths certified/coded as, or referencing to, COVID-19 in WHALES with a corresponding positive lab (including postmortem testing) as reported in WDRS. Most recent two weeks of data are incomplete.

pre:
Deaths    Changes in Recent Counts:
Feb 04            -        -        -          -          -         -
Jan 28            -        -        -       + 28     ↓ 6.7%        28
Jan 21            -        -       29        + 1    ↓ 38.8%        30
Jan 14            -       41        7        + 1    ↑ 36.1%        49
Jan 07           29        7        -          -          -        36
Thru 2023         5        4        2        + 1                1,623
Notes on Data and Limitations:
  • In this post I provide alternative visualizations for the overall weekly disease activity and reporting on weekly confirmed case positives, emergency department (ED) visits, new hospitalizations, total inpatients/occupied hospital beds, and confirmed deaths. Additionally I provide changes in COVID-19 activity due to backfill.
  • Trends are calculated based on the % change in the totals for the most recent week of data compared to the second most recent. This differs from the state's trend % as they are doing a % change of a % of ED visits and hospitalizations, respectively.
  • Columns with a bright bar are the new additions for this week's report. Darker columns are from previously published weekly reports. An outlined column is where previously established numbers have been reduced with this week's report.
  • These graphs were put together by using a multitude of resources spanning from the Washington State Department of Health all the way to the CDC and HHS. All of these state and federal reports use the standardized Sunday-Saturday 7-day definition.
  • Reinfections are only counted when equal to or greater than 90 days since prior recorded infection unless both samples were sequenced and found to be different subvariants.
  • All numbers except for cases and deaths are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence. Totals are extrapolated by applying the state's weekly hospitalizations or ED visit % to the HHS' reporting of hospitalizations and ED visits due to all causes. Beds occupied by COVID-19 is the weekly average multiplied by 7 days, and beds occupied by influenza is from HHS reports.
  • A COVID-19, Influenza, or RSV death is only counted by the state if data is complete (cause of death is attributed to the disease and there is an associated laboratory positive test with no period of complete recovery between illness and death). The only exception is that RSV does not need a test, only that it is indicated as cause on the death certificate.
---
Sources:

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Bold lines in the tables are new since the previous update.

Olympic Peninsula & Northwest Wash.

pre:
Olympic Peninsula & Northwest Wash.
County		Shed ID	Ref.	Date	Trend	7-Day Change
Jefferson	PT	(1)	Feb-07	STEADY	   ±  1%
Mason		Biobot	(4)	Feb-10	UP	   + 85%
Skagit		ANA	(1)	Feb-08	UP	   + 95%
Skagit		MV	(1)	Feb-08	STEADY	   ±  3%
Whatcom		LYN	(1)	Feb-08	UP	   +530%
North Puget Sound [1 of 2]

pre:
North Puget Sound [1 of 2]
Island		COUP	(1)	Feb-09	DOWN	   - 55%
Island		OH	(1)	Feb-09	DOWN	   - 75%
Snohomish	APP	(1)	Feb-08	UP	   + 40%
Snohomish	ARL	(1)	Feb-06	DOWN	   - 55%
Snohomish	EVR	(1)	Feb-07	DOWN	   - 25%
Snohomish	STAN	(1)	Feb-07	DOWN	   - 45%
Snohomish	256	(3)	Feb-09	STEADY	   ±  8%
North Puget Sound [2 of 2]

pre:
North Puget Sound [2 of 2]
King		BWT	(1)	Feb-07	UP	   + 20%
King		KCS	(1)	Feb-07	UP	   + 35%
King		WSPT	(1)	Feb-06	DOWN	   - 60%
South Puget Sound & Southwest

pre:
South Puget Sound & Southwest
Clark		MRPK	(1)	Feb-07	STEADY	   ±  1%
Clark		SNCK	(1)	Feb-08	UP	   + 40%
Clark		VWS	(1)	Feb-07	UP	   +130%
Lewis		Biobot	(4)	Feb-03	UP	   +190%
Pierce		CC	(1)	Feb-09	DOWN	   - 20%
Pierce		PUY	(1)	Feb-08	UP	   + 70%
Thurston	LOTT	(1)	Feb-07	UP	   +110%
North & South Central Wash.

pre:
North & South Central Wash.
Benton		WRCH	(1)	Feb-06	STEADY	   ±  8%
Chelan		WEN	(1)	Feb-08	UP	   + 65%
Grant		EPH	(1)	Feb-07	STEADY	   ±  2%
Kittitas	ELL	(1)	Feb-08	UP	   + 25%
Okanogan	BRW	(1)	Feb-08	UP	   + 40%
Yakima		YAK	(1)	Feb-08	UP	   +150%
Northeast & Southeast Wash.

pre:
Northeast & Southeast Wash.
Franklin	PAS	(1)	Feb-09	STEADY	   ±  6%
Spokane		RP	(1)	Feb-09	UP	   + 55%
Spokane		SPK	(1)	Feb-09	UP	   + 25%
Walla Walla	WALLA	(1)	Feb-08	DOWN	   - 15%
Whitman		PLM	(1)	Feb-09	UP	   + 20%
Solid lines are generated from normalized and smoothed data provided by the Washington State Department of Health (WADoH Ref. (1) ), Verily/WastewaterSCAN (WWS Ref. (3) ), and Biobot (Ref. (4) ).

White diamond dots are from most recent CDC/NWSS (Ref. (2) ) data scaled to supplement missing or out-dated data when available.

Because each of these four groups use different normalization methods, different smoothing methods, and different averaging/location identifiers, the concentration of virus is not comparable between locations. See reference links at the bottom of this post for more details.

There are 33 sewersheds distributed across 6 charts grouped by region then alphabetized by county and sewershed. The tables below contain WADoH or NWSS/WSS IDs (to match their respective dashboards), Date last sampled, Trend (based on the change between the averages of the two most recent weeks), and 7-Day Change (approx. amount the trend has increased or decreased).

All data presented are smoothed in some degree to even out inconsistent sampling dates and extreme highs and lows. Most sewersheds are sampled 1-3 times a week and are published within a week. Some locations are late reporting by 10 days or more so be sure to note your sewershed's Date in the table or graph. Locations that are more than two weeks old will have n/a listed under Trend to indicate there it is out of date.

References with links to details on y-axis units, normalization protocols, data limitations, and sampling methods:

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

did anything ever come from heparin nasal spray trials as a preventative measure? i recall reading something about that a while ago, but haven't seen anything since.

i think the australian gov't was overseeing some trials, but can't find any recent news about it.

e: did find it (maybe) listed in clinicaltrials.gov, but i have no idea how up to date it is: https://clinicaltrials.gov/study/NCT05204550

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mags posted:

the thing is the “unchecked rise” occurred before all this Covid business happened and western government not giving a poo poo about human life is only more obvious now that they admit they don’t care about you. it’s more obvious when it’s 45 billion to bomb brown children in a refugee camp but 0 days off for the guy building wiring harnesses for the bombs in the MIC workshop when he picks up his fifth covid round from a Super Bowl party. fascism is a function of capitalism in crisis.

tbh I’m glad America is stumbling towards the grave. it was never a question of if it would take human lives along with it, just a matter of how many. stay safe and don’t be one of them if you can help it. good luck.

:capitalism:

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

Zantie posted:

Hella useful poo poo.

Thank you again. Sucks my area is trending up again :smith:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Another friend who jumped aboard the "gotta live our lives" train and has been living like it's 2019 has discovered that her respiratory capacity is all fucky these days

quote:

I mentioned to my GP about the extra fatigue I’ve been noticing of late. He tests on the oximeter and it’s sitting on 95%. He then gets me to walk rapidly to the front door of clinic and back again and does another test. Now it shows 93%. So that’s a thing now.
Apparently my option is to wait to see if it improves over time and then x-rays etc if it doesn’t. In the meantime, I’m having a nap soon 😴

Just loving LOL and :stare: at the doctor going "Hmm yeah, pulse ox drops to 93% after a small amount of exertion .... well, let's just see how it goes. Bye!"

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Zantie, you make me feel positively spoiled at what a beautiful resource you create week after week for my area

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

She isolated when she truly felt sick. And after a day, when she began to feel better, she donned a mask and returned to her job as a life coach for people experiencing homelessness.

Surely this is next-level trolling.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

DickParasite posted:

Surely this is next-level trolling.

100%, the natural follow-up to criticism is "why do you hate the homeless?" Of course, the homeless people she's exposing to disease have zero access to healthcare. That article is custom made to make 70th percentile income liberals feel good.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's an article which checks whether the Australian federal government is going to follow the US on dropping the 5 day isolation rule

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-15/cdc-covid-guidelines-australia-isolation/103464404

LOL j/k the Australian federal government's stance is already:

quote:

states and territories "have primary operational responsibility for emergency management and public health" in each jurisdiction.

..... and there are no mandatory self-isolation rules in any of the states or territories. Here in Victoria they still recommend isolating "until five days after the date of the positive test result for COVID-19 and until resolution of acute symptoms" but in NSW, which accounts for roughly 1/3 of the covid cases in the entire country, they already dropped the 5 days isolation guideline a while back. They do still "strongly recommended" that people who are symptomatic stay home until the symptoms resolve and "avoid gatherings and indoor crowded locations, and not visit vulnerable people, hospitals or residential care facilities for at least seven days" but that's purely voluntary
https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/testing-managing/advice-for-confirmed#toc-what-should-i-do-if-i-test-positive

Edit: NSW reduced the mandatory isolation period from 7 days to 5 days on September 9 2022 and then dropped it altogether on October 14 2022. After that they never had a minimum isolation recommendation, just "we urge people to please stay at home if they have cold or flu-like symptoms"

Snowglobe of Doom has issued a correction as of 06:02 on Feb 15, 2024

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Spreading good vibes :success:

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

U-DO Burger posted:

I didn't think the people I grew up with would grumble so openly about having to consistently take steps to protect my kids, but here we are.

well the people you grew up with didn't expect you to make them live in a 24/7 hyper-authoritarian lockdown for four years straight now did they :colbert:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2024/feb/14/wto-fails-to-reach-agreement-on-providing-global-access-to-covid-treatments posted:

WTO fails to reach agreement on providing global access to Covid treatments
Years of wrangling have ended in stalemate as campaigners question fairness of system for low and middle-income countries
(..)
“Clearly, to the governments of rich countries, protecting the monopoly profits of pharmaceutical companies was more important than saving lives in the global south,” said Mohga Kamal-Yanni, the policy co-lead for the People’s Vaccine Alliance, an organisation advocating for equitable medicine access across the world.
(..)
the proposal faced strong resistance from pharmaceutical companies and many high-income countries, who said the move would stifle innovation.
(..)
Tuesday’s decision means there will be no further concessions made on current or future tests or treatments, including those for long Covid.
(..)
“It’s proof of what we have been saying all along, that the WTO does not serve the interest of patients in the global south because it is hijacked by high-income countries. This decision is a sign of whose lives are seen to matter the most.

“Global south governments are going to have to urgently reconsider what it means to be part of this bizarre one-sided system.”
:capitalism:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Céline Gounder, KFF Health News’ editor-at-large for public health, makes a very important point here that I've been making privately as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7hgct519cY&t=71s

This decision is inherently political and should be explicitly made by politicians. It isn't and shouldn't be the role of public health institutions to make a political, social and economic weighing, and it is a fundamental abuse by elected officials to utilize the built trust in the institutions to further their own agenda.

It is entirely rational to lose faith in a trusted institution when untrustworthy actors does this.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
No comment.

https://www.kold.com/2024/02/15/tucson-pilot-battles-with-faa-after-being-grounded-post-covid-neurocognitive-deficits/ posted:

Tucson pilot battles with FAA after being grounded for ‘post-COVID neurocognitive deficits’

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I would like to see this replicated outside of a single center in Bogotá, Colombia, as it seems to be extremely high prevalence for something that should be relatively easy to test. So don't put too much stock in the specific percentages, but on the other hand this is such high prevalence that it is certainly not just noise. Note that patients have all been hospitalized and are relatively young (mean age: 51 years. 51.6% >50, 30% 36-50 and 18.7% <35). Of particular interest is the AST levels, as they don't correlate with age (see Figure 3), but rather makes a jump in the 36-50 cohort, while being particularly associated with mortality, and particularly in women. I want to highlight that, as that is the cohort most likely to suffer from PASC, though admittedly this might be entirely coincidental.
"Altered Liver Biochemistry and Mortality in Patients Hospitalized With COVID-19"

https://www.cureus.com/articles/229496-altered-liver-biochemistry-and-mortality-in-patients-hospitalized-with-covid-19#!/ posted:

Abstract
COVID-19 is an illness caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus, a type of coronavirus initially identified in China in late 2019, emerging as the leading cause of death attributed to a single infectious agent worldwide. The COVID-19 pandemic poses a substantial challenge to global public health in the first quarter of this century. The rapid evolution of the pandemic and its intricate response have hindered the formulation of definitive conclusions, and it may take years to comprehend its long-term effects. Assessing the extent of organ damage beyond the lungs could guide physicians in the disease's severity or progression. Based on these characteristics, an earlier and more targeted approach can be initiated at the appropriate moment. The association between hepatic profile and mortality in COVID-19 patients is a subject of scientific interest, as SARS-CoV-2 infection can lead to hepatitis. In severe cases, it may induce sepsis-related liver injury, potentially culminating in hepatic failure.

Methodology: The study's objective is to determine the prevalence of mortality in adult patients with elevated hepatic profile hospitalized due to SARS-CoV-2 infection. This cross-sectional, monocentric study was conducted at a healthcare institution in Bogotá, Colombia.

Results: This study includes 91 patients with confirmed diagnoses of COVID-19, revealing a prevalence of hepatic profile alterations in 61.5% (n=56) of hospitalized patients. The mortality rate observed is 17.6% (n= 16), with an odds ratio (OR) of 12.4 (95% CI = 1.56-99.0) in patients with hepatic profile alterations.

Conclusionsi: This research underscores the importance of early detection of hepatic profile alterations in hospitalized patients with COVID-19. Not only are these alterations prevalent, but they are also potentially associated with an increased risk of mortality. These findings emphasize the necessity for further research to enhance strategies and prognostication for patients with COVID-19 in the future.
(..)

Figure 3: Box plot: age groups/AST
AST: aspartate aminotransferase

(..)
Analyze the relationship between altered hepatic profile and mortality
The prevalence of mortality in our study was 17.6%, of which 93.8% had an altered hepatic profile (n=15/16) with p=0.004. Regarding the association between mortality and aspartate aminotransferase (AST) activity in this research, it is evident that mortality is higher in individuals with higher AST levels. Patients with AST levels above 100 are 2.4 times more likely to die than those below 50 (OR=2.4; 95% CI = 0.48-11.8). Additionally, it indicates that women with AST levels above 100 are two to three times more likely to die than men with AST levels above 100 (OR=3.0, 95% CI = 0.15-59.9) (Figure 5).
(..)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
These are some wild numbers from the CDC and a terrible trajectory over time.
:tif:
"Estimates of Incidence and Predictors of Fatiguing Illness after SARS-CoV-2 Infection"

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/30/3/23-1194_article posted:

Abstract
This study aimed to estimate the incidence rates of post–COVID-19 fatigue and chronic fatigue and to quantify the additional incident fatigue caused by COVID-19. We analyzed electronic health records data of 4,589 patients with confirmed COVID-19 during February 2020–February 2021 who were followed for a median of 11.4 (interquartile range 7.8–15.5) months and compared them to data from 9,022 propensity score–matched non–COVID-19 controls. Among COVID-19 patients (15% hospitalized for acute COVID-19), the incidence rate of fatigue was 10.2/100 person-years and the rate of chronic fatigue was 1.8/100 person-years. Compared with non–COVID-19 controls, the hazard ratios were 1.68 (95% CI 1.48–1.92) for fatigue and 4.32 (95% CI 2.90–6.43) for chronic fatigue. The observed association between COVID-19 and the significant increase in the incidence of fatigue and chronic fatigue reinforces the need for public health actions to prevent SARS-CoV-2 infections.
(..)

Figure 2. Cumulative incidence of fatigue (A) and chronic fatigue (B) among 4,589 COVID-19 cases and 9,022 non–COVID-19 controls in study of fatiguing illness after SARS-CoV-2 infection, Washington, USA, February 2020–February 2021. Shading around data lines indicates 95% CIs.
(..)
Chronic Fatigue
We next examined the incidence of chronic fatigue diagnosis, a subset of fatigue. During follow-up, 81 COVID-19 patients received a diagnosis of incident chronic fatigue, resulting in an incidence rate of 1.82 (95% CI 1.47–2.27)/100 person-years. The incidence rate of chronic fatigue among non–COVID-19 controls was 0.42 (95% CI 0.29–0.58)/100 person-years. The risk of developing chronic fatigue was significantly higher for COVID-19 cases compared with non–COVID-19 controls (HR 4.32, 95% CI 2.90–6.43; p<0.001). The difference between cumulative incidence for COVID-19 patients and non–COVID-19 controls continued to increase without apparent plateau >12 months after the index date (Figure 2, panel B).

Predictors of Incident Fatigue
Women were 39% more likely to have a fatigue diagnosis than men were after adjusting for age group and comorbidities (Table 2). Persons of advancing age groups were more likely than young adults 18–29 years of age to have a fatigue diagnosis in an unadjusted model. After adjusting for sex and comorbidities, the HRs for advancing age groups were still elevated, but the differences were no longer statistically significant. Those with comorbidities were significantly more likely to have incident fatigue compared with those with no comorbidities.

Among 36 diseases and conditions diagnosed in the 18 months before COVID-19 with a prevalence ≥1% that show difference in incident fatigue (log-rank p<0.05), 21 conditions remained associated (p<0.05) with incident fatigue when each was included in a multivariable proportional hazards model that adjusted for age, sex, and number of comorbidities. Obesity was associated with incident fatigue in the simple model, but the association became nonsignificant in the adjusted model. The risk for incident fatigue that was significantly higher for other diseases and conditions (Table 3) ranged from 27% increased risk for persons with hypertension to 93% increased risk for persons with gastritis and duodenitis.

Deaths and Hospitalizations
Patients with COVID-19 in whom incident fatigue developed had far worse clinical outcomes, as evidenced by deaths and hospitalizations, than patients without fatigue (Figure 3). Among 434 COVID-19 patients in whom fatigue developed, 111 (25.6%) were hospitalized >1 times during the postacute period, whereas 13.6% of 4,155 patients without incident fatigue were hospitalized (RR 1.88, 95% CI 1.57–2.24; p<0.001). Moreover, COVID-19 patients with incident fatigue were at higher risk of dying (23/434, 5.3%) during the postacute period than were COVID-19 patients without incident fatigue (94/4,155 [2.3%]; RR 2.34, 95% CI 1.50–3.66; p<0.001).

Figure 3. Clinical outcomes among COVID-19 patients with and without incident fatigue after SARS-CoV-2 infection in study of fatiguing illness after SARS-CoV-2 infection, Washington, USA, February 2020–February 2021.
(..)

News article on the matter:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/covid-patients-43-times-develop-chronic-fatigue-cdc/story?id=107222208 posted:

COVID patients are 4.3 times more likely to develop chronic fatigue, CDC report finds
Women and older people were at higher risk of developing chronic fatigue.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Pingui posted:

Women and older people were at higher risk of developing chronic fatigue.

phew, good thing it’s only second class citizens

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The difference between cumulative incidence for COVID-19 patients and non–COVID-19 controls continued to increase without apparent plateau >12 months after the index date.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Number go up

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I can see folks saying that it's just attributed to Nobody Wants to Work anymore or it's just the dystopia hypercapitalism society that tires people out.

On that, I kinda wonder if those non-covid "control" are just folks who got asymptomatic covid and never got it detected on tests.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

NeonPunk posted:

I can see folks saying that it's just attributed to Nobody Wants to Work anymore or it's just the dystopia hypercapitalism society that tires people out.
(..)

That can be true for fatigue ("A" on Figure 2), but not chronic fatigue ("B" on Figure 2).

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Why Am I So Tired posted:

That "It has to go on" is sounding pretty desperate.
this is our response to climate change, to gun violence, to [whatever]

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://twitter.com/waysidewhelp/status/1757905430226125229

poo poo I realized that there isn't any quick tests for measles either. I can see measles cases only being found because they're a kid AND the parent took them to the hospital AND the doctor ordered a measles test to be done.

There's going to be whole lot of measles case going uncounted everywhere

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

NeonPunk posted:

https://twitter.com/waysidewhelp/status/1757905430226125229

poo poo I realized that there isn't any quick tests for measles either. I can see measles cases only being found because they're a kid AND the parent took them to the hospital AND the doctor ordered a measles test to be done.

There's going to be whole lot of measles case going uncounted everywhere

lol, lmao

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
It’s fine, measles is mild. Life must go on. It has to.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

yeaterday one of the kids my partner meets with as part of a play group for work said he didn’t have to go to school that day. when asked why, he responded “because I’m sick”. i guess the parents decided infecting his playgroup was ok but not his class. he said it’s not covid though, he didn’t take a test but he hasn’t been around anyone with covid, so it couldn’t be that. cool that parents are teaching their kids the completely wrong things about covid (last I checked over half
of Covid spread happens during the asymptomatic/presymptomatic phase).

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

kreeningsons posted:

yeaterday one of the kids my partner meets with as part of a play group for work said he didn’t have to go to school that day. when asked why, he responded “because I’m sick”. i guess the parents decided infecting his playgroup was ok but not his class. he said it’s not covid though, he didn’t take a test but he hasn’t been around anyone with covid, so it couldn’t be that. cool that parents are teaching their kids the completely wrong things about covid (last I checked over half
of Covid spread happens during the asymptomatic/presymptomatic phase).

:sever:

lol at people just willingly exposing other people to sickness for no compelling reason

maybe I don’t want a cold even, motherfucjers!!!!

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Ya know, I had a thought. Like I know that our antibodies from the measles vaccines attaches to 4 distinct epitope on different part of the virus and the odds that measles can evolve all of the four part at the same time in order to evade our immune antibodies is exceedingly vanishing low.

But I wonder. We now have a much higher population in more dense areas with much easier access to transportation from cities to cities, countries to countries, continent to continent in matter of hours with absolutely zero public health powers at all.

The odds of the measles bypassing our vaccine is very very low, but we're not helping keeping it a non-chance of it happening

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I've noticed the teachers I work with now are much more hostile to me than previous end users I've worked with. I can't tell if it's because they hate the technology department personnel, or if it's because I wear a respirator at all times. I suspect it's the latter. If I poke my head in a room before school to mention something real quick the teachers act real mad.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Lacrosse posted:

I've noticed the teachers I work with now are much more hostile to me than previous end users I've worked with. I can't tell if it's because they hate the technology department personnel, or if it's because I wear a respirator at all times. I suspect it's the latter. If I poke my head in a room before school to mention something real quick the teachers act real mad.

Perhaps your youthful appearance makes them associate you with an annoying student asking them questions in the teachers lounge.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Pingui posted:

No comment.

Tucson pilot battles with FAA after being grounded for ‘post-COVID neurocognitive deficits’

Don't worry Tucson pilot, soon enough grounding pilots with ‘post-COVID neurocognitive deficits’ will lead to enough of a pilot shortage that ‘post-COVID neurocognitive deficits’ will not disqualify pilots!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Insanite posted:

maybe I don’t want a cold even, motherfucjers!!!!

What makes u so special :mad:

Pingui posted:

Perhaps your youthful appearance makes them associate you with an annoying student asking them questions in the teachers lounge.

Oh poo poo you're getting the "what makes u so special :mad:" treatment but for real

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

dxt posted:

Don't worry Tucson pilot, soon enough grounding pilots with ‘post-COVID neurocognitive deficits’ will lead to enough of a pilot shortage that ‘post-COVID neurocognitive deficits’ will not disqualify pilots!

All it will take is one email from any airline CEO.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Pingui posted:

I had a student think I was another student when I first started so that's certainly possible. I don't know how to talk to children so I talk to them like they're my peers (like I don't put on the 'talking to a little kid' voice). Apparently the students really appreciate that about me haha.

Also I poked my head in to a empty classroom with an open door to follow up on a ticket as I was walking to the copy room so it's not like I was interrupting anything for more than 10 seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

dxt posted:

we’re going to go back to the flight safety rates of the 40s and be fine with it because hey our grandparents survived it