Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I haven't listened to these guys a ton but the production makes this one feel really toothless compared to their older stuff. Where's the guitar crunch? Where are the death growls? The high-register vocal wailing? What is this Cynic-y vocorder thing? Maybe I'm just getting thrown off by how Euro everything sounds, I dunno.

I dunno, it sounds fine to me. :shrug: I guess the production might be a bit lighter than before, but I'm ok with that.
As for the vocals, they've always used Grant's growls pretty sparingly to begin with, and Britt doesn't bust out her insane soaring belts every song.

ultrafilter posted:

Good song but definitely not what I expected from them.

The previous album already had a pretty eclectic range of styles, from classic europower to 80s AOR ballad to Devin Townsend worship. I don't think this is such a huge departure in comparison.

Also, the track listing is up on the Napalm Records webstore, and the Earbook is gonna have a Tarzan Boy cover :lmao:

EDIT: Also the video is out now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLPMBD7i0IU

And to get the worms back in the can; Yes, they used AI generation for it, but the model was trained solely on the work of one artist, with his consent.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Happy 54th birthday, Metal.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sure, but have you also considered that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS_OzJViOhI

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Nordick posted:

New song from Unleash the Archers dropped today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGSPG0TULpQ

It's good

Oof I'm really not feeling this one. Very watered down.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nordick posted:

New song from Unleash the Archers dropped today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGSPG0TULpQ

It's good

where the gently caress are the riffs??? I love UTA but this is pretty boring honestly, hopefully the album has some better stuff

Demon Of The Fall fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 13, 2024

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
unleash the archers releasing an album in 2024 about the dangers of AI is wild

its like brother, fear factory has beaten that theme to death for over 30 years catch up

edit: also their album art is done by ai

edit2: lol that song sucks (never liked any of their material, tbh)

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

edit: also their album art is done by ai

"Unleash the Archers used AI during the writing, filming and production process on “Phantoma,” and weaved electronic and synthwave elements throughout the album’s 10 songs, which—in line with its theme—prove much darker and heavier in comparison to the bright positivity of “Abyss.”"

TLDR: gently caress Unleash the Archers.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
They sucked before this anyway so I don't care.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I feel like if they are using AI to help write songs, then they’re just doing a job and there’s no passion there. That is super unattractive to me.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Unleash the Archers has been bad for many albums now. If you want a current metal band with soaring vocals performed by a woman, listen to Tower instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBiuqd300KI

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

unleash the archers releasing an album in 2024 about the dangers of AI is wild
It sounds like it might be an album about an AI becoming sentient and Learning to Love instead, which is also not new ground to tread, but it's power metal so this sort of goofy poo poo isn't unexpected.

Issaries posted:

"Unleash the Archers used AI during the writing, filming and production process on “Phantoma,” and weaved electronic and synthwave elements throughout the album’s 10 songs, which—in line with its theme—prove much darker and heavier in comparison to the bright positivity of “Abyss.”"

TLDR: gently caress Unleash the Archers.
There are two reasons people generally have a negative opinion of AI art:
1. It's weird looking.
2. AI art is often used to avoid paying artists, either by using the AI output to replace the work they would have paid an artist to do, or just lifting existing art as training data and then shrugging and saying "we can't pay the whole internet for the training data".

#1 is a fair opinion but it doesn't make them evil for using it (and they're using it in part because it looks weird). #2 doesn't seem to apply here: they've gotten a license to use the visual artist's work and built a model based solely off that work. Less clear about the songwriting part, but if it's just trained against their own music then that's very different from asking a model built off the whole internet to write you a song.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

A buddy of mine turned me onto this album today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_-RhCiA3TA

Sounds like a mix of Death, Cynic, Vektor, et al.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Vargatron posted:

Horrendous ftw

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

ultraviolence123 posted:

Unleash the Archers has been bad for many albums now. If you want a current metal band with soaring vocals performed by a woman, listen to Tower instead:

gently caress me, she got some pipes.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Incoherence posted:

It sounds like it might be an album about an AI becoming sentient and Learning to Love instead, which is also not new ground to tread, but it's power metal so this sort of goofy poo poo isn't unexpected.

There are two reasons people generally have a negative opinion of AI art:
1. It's weird looking.
2. AI art is often used to avoid paying artists, either by using the AI output to replace the work they would have paid an artist to do, or just lifting existing art as training data and then shrugging and saying "we can't pay the whole internet for the training data".

#1 is a fair opinion but it doesn't make them evil for using it (and they're using it in part because it looks weird). #2 doesn't seem to apply here: they've gotten a license to use the visual artist's work and built a model based solely off that work. Less clear about the songwriting part, but if it's just trained against their own music then that's very different from asking a model built off the whole internet to write you a song.

Nah that poo poo still sucks

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ultraviolence123 posted:

Tower is fun. when I saw Mutoid Man a while back the Tower vocalist did a Dio-era Sabbath cover with them.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Incoherence posted:

It's this.

Also, :siren: they did not use AI to write the music.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3TwLYRJD6g/

As for the music video, they shot an actual video with actual people, and only used AI to make some kinda overlay on top of it, using art specifically commissioned and paid for for that specific purpose.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 14, 2024

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Some unskilled nobody coming in and dropping a chatgpt single that was Clearly Just Holy Diver In A Different Key would suck but artists using new tools as they become available to them is fine and good imo

e: if it was even AI music at all

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 14, 2024

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

tough poo poo you're the AI band now dummies

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It still sucks even without the AI

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Spanish Manlove posted:

It still sucks even without the AI

incorrect

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Once again, power metal is the most divisive metal genre.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
why don't you guys write a ballad about it

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

why don't you guys write a ballad about it

Which saccharine Dragonforce ballad would you like? There's one on each album.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Vargatron posted:

Once again, power metal is the most divisive metal genre.

Persuader was better than Blind Guardian.

Beast in Black and other ABBA-metal bands get too much poo poo, they're fine.

Sonata Arctica is boring as gently caress.

The only redeeming quality of Iced Earth was Matt Barlow's voice but he quit the band to be a chud piece of poo poo so gently caress em.

The best power metal band was actually Galneryus during the Yama-B era.

Nightwish has always sucked rear end regardless of the vocalist.

I'll be back in a few pages to see how we're doing.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Spectral Voice tour

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Persuader was better than Blind Guardian.

Beast in Black and other ABBA-metal bands get too much poo poo, they're fine.

Sonata Arctica is boring as gently caress.

The only redeeming quality of Iced Earth was Matt Barlow's voice but he quit the band to be a chud piece of poo poo so gently caress em.

The best power metal band was actually Galneryus during the Yama-B era.

Nightwish has always sucked rear end regardless of the vocalist.

I'll be back in a few pages to see how we're doing.

That’s just like, your opinion, man. (The beast in black one is correct though).

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Speaking of spectrals, Spectral Wound is opening for 1349 this spring in the US.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Vargatron posted:

Probably the best album from 2023, close call with the most recent Tomb Mold album anyway.

I never did post my best of 2023, absolutely killer year all round

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Probably the best album from 2023, close call with the most recent Tomb Mold album anyway.

a solid opinion

unleash the archers tends to miss for me more than they hit but their cover of northwest passage is fun. i have zero interest in engaging with their new material because them going synthwave to make some ai statement sounds like the least compelling thing ever to me

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I would characterize UtA as having a few really good cuts on each album and then the rest as uneven.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Vargatron posted:

I would characterize UtA as having a few really good cuts on each album and then the rest as uneven.

this is most power metal bands

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Southern Cassowary posted:

a solid opinion

unleash the archers tends to miss for me more than they hit but their cover of northwest passage is fun. i have zero interest in engaging with their new material because them going synthwave to make some ai statement sounds like the least compelling thing ever to me

They're not "making a statement", it's just a nerdy sci-fi story behind the album. I'm doubtful they'll be "going synthwave" either, beyond some stylistic inspirations probably.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Nordick posted:

They're not "making a statement", it's just a nerdy sci-fi story behind the album. I'm doubtful they'll be "going synthwave" either, beyond some stylistic inspirations probably.

i am equally uninterested in their nerdy sci-fi story with synthwave stylings

also the posted track didn't really sound synthwavey from me jumping around it but as someone who can get behind that brand of power metal it did nothing for me

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Ok but they did a Mad Max music video and the riffs kicked rear end ergo UTA rules

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Southern Cassowary posted:

i am equally uninterested in their nerdy sci-fi story with synthwave stylings

also the posted track didn't really sound synthwavey from me jumping around it but as someone who can get behind that brand of power metal it did nothing for me

Yeah that's fine, it's just the misinformation that ticks me off.

stab posted:

Ok but they did a Mad Max music video and the riffs kicked rear end ergo UTA rules

VOOOOOOYAAAAAGE OOOEEEERRRR
THE MOUNTAAAAAINNS AND WASTELAAAAANNNNDSSSS

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

New Alestorm /featuring Patty Gurdy - Voyage of the Dead Marauder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT7HqIP55tI

Hurdy Gurdists on Folk Metal are my big faves and Patty is pretty great player/singer.
She fits very well with the Alestorm.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Chris Bowes is a weapons-grade piece of poo poo, nobody should ever give him money/engagement. Surely there are other pirate gimmick bands out there with less deplorable frontmen.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I have Eluveitie for my hurdy gurdy in metal needs thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Chris Bowes is a weapons-grade piece of poo poo, nobody should ever give him money.

I listen Music exclusively on youtube / spotify.
The Artists won't get poo poo.

Also I listen to music, because it sounds good to me. IDGAF about who the artists are. Literally couldn't even name them.
I could name the Patty Gurdy, because her name was literally on the tag line.
Now I'm checking some sweet Hurdy Gurdy tunes.