Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

That’s the plan once my trial expires.

Can you “definitely live in Hungary” for a family plan too? I’ve heard it doesn’t work as smoothly if you wanna do that.

My ukranian family YT plan works just fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

MarcusSA posted:

Apple Maps it’s also free

This one. There’s an Open Street Maps one that I’m failing to find.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks - apple maps is okay but still has stuff i don't care about like annoying "city guides."

for open streets, I didn't realize there were a lot of apps that supported it. any suggestions?

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/IOS

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

kri kri posted:

My ukranian family YT plan works just fine
Nice. I heard some reports about family accounts forcing stricter location checks or something but if I can get it without needing to use dummy accounts or anything like that then that’s perfect.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Nice. I heard some reports about family accounts forcing stricter location checks or something but if I can get it without needing to use dummy accounts or anything like that then that’s perfect.

Nah I did nothing special, I think I did read though people joining the family plan after subbing might have an issue? My family was in place, I signed into a vpn in Ukraine and subbed using a privacy.com card.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

actionjackson posted:

thanks - apple maps is okay but still has stuff i don't care about like annoying "city guides."

for open streets, I didn't realize there were a lot of apps that supported it. any suggestions?

I’ve used Bike Citizen (when I bike) and Gaia GPS (outdoors and off road or hunting). I liked them.

I don’t recognize the general purpose apps on there though.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Magic Earth is a good navigation app using OSM data.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I wish Apple Maps would let me add a note to Guide items. Must-have feature for me - I have hundreds of saved locations on my Google Maps with specific notes for why I saved them.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 13, 2024

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

kri kri posted:

Nah I did nothing special, I think I did read though people joining the family plan after subbing might have an issue? My family was in place, I signed into a vpn in Ukraine and subbed using a privacy.com card.
Ah yeah I think it might've been having to sign up for a local virtual card that might've been the awkward bit for some people. Did you have to have a full on subscription before to set up the Family stuff? This is just so I can share it with my partner and friends so we don't have parent/child accounts or anything like that set up.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Ah yeah I think it might've been having to sign up for a local virtual card that might've been the awkward bit for some people. Did you have to have a full on subscription before to set up the Family stuff? This is just so I can share it with my partner and friends so we don't have parent/child accounts or anything like that set up.

I’ve had my family account for years, and just added the YouTube plan.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Organic Maps is nice and has very good offline map support (Can download entire states if you want). I have it as my 3rd backup option, especially if data is going to be spotty.
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/organic-maps-offline-hike-bike/id1567437057

I've heard good things about Maps.me as well
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/maps-me-offline-maps-gps-nav/id510623322

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

One of the killer features (for me) of the native Photos app is the ability to find photos by location- especially because there are events that I remember where they were but I don't always remember the exact date. But sometimes I want to find a photo at a location that I've taken a ton of pics (such as my house) but I end up having to scroll like hell to get to a particular date and I have to start from 13 years ago. Is there a way to do a search by location AND date? It would save me a crapload of time tap-scrolling on my phone.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

One of the killer features (for me) of the native Photos app is the ability to find photos by location- especially because there are events that I remember where they were but I don't always remember the exact date. But sometimes I want to find a photo at a location that I've taken a ton of pics (such as my house) but I end up having to scroll like hell to get to a particular date and I have to start from 13 years ago. Is there a way to do a search by location AND date? It would save me a crapload of time tap-scrolling on my phone.
In the search field, after you search for a location and tap the drop down for the place name, you can just keep typing to add new terms such as a month or a year.
e.g. so it ends up like [Ireland] [January] [2014]

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

In the search field, after you search for a location and tap the drop down for the place name, you can just keep typing to add new terms such as a month or a year.
e.g. so it ends up like [Ireland] [January] [2014]

Dang, thank you!

edit: like, REALLY, thank you. My father has alzheimer's and I occasionally want to show him photos of certain events and times, and this will make things a lot easier.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 15, 2024

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Dang, thank you!

edit: like, REALLY, thank you. My father has alzheimer's and I occasionally want to show him photos of certain events and times, and this will make things a lot easier.
Glad that I was able to help with something actually important! I just use it to look at all the places my dog has been.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Glad that I was able to help with something actually important! I just use it to look at all the places my dog has been.

That's important too. :3:

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Does anyone know how to stop WhatsApp/iOS from turning things like the words ‘dinner tonight’ into clickable prompts for creating calendar events? It’s really, really irritating and feels very new (like, within the last day or two).

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

How often do you click the prompts that it’s an issue?

I don’t think they can be turned off, I’m looking around for you.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Skeezy posted:

How often do you click the prompts that it’s an issue?

I don’t think they can be turned off, I’m looking around for you.

Never, honestly, but it's more the look of the drat thing, and also just the feeling that, like, I should be able to turn this kind of cross-platform interaction off?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What are people using for two factor codes lately? Seems like three main categories of options:

1) Dedicated app like Google Authenticator. This doesn’t seem to have any autofill but it’s very easy to generate a code and use it on something other than my phone. Used to be very easy to lose all your codes with your phone but I think this has backup now.

2) Use the support built into 1Password. All my password-like things would be in one place. Pay for this already.

3) Use the support built into iOS. No dedicated app. Not sure how to get the code for use on other computers. Presumably best autofill?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

1Password stores my 2fa codes and passkeys. iCloud stores my 1Password 2fa code. Yubikey with advanced data protection turned on for my iCloud.

I will say, setting up 2fa/passkeys in 1Password seems more seamless from a desktop browser + extension. Not sure if iOS make it a little more difficult to setup or what.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Tbh I just use Keychain for everything.

I do have a 1Password family group that I’m still thinking of moving myself too but for now it’s for my wife since she uses Windows.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I started moving my 2FA over to iOS’ built-in thingy but it’s such a hassle to access them for non-Apple devices or when it doesn’t autofill that I started moving everything back to Raivo. Whoever wrote that blog post saying that Apple needs a dedicated password / Keychain app on iOS is dead right, it’s extremely half-baked right now.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

1Password rules and the quick access tool alone is worth the cost of admission. If you’re a real pervert the CLI tool is also very good and lets you get really stupid in a hurry. Also it’s great for stuff other than passwords like identities and credit cards and so on. It’s super continent to just pull up one of the kid’s SSNs or our health insurance info and so on; not to mention the centralization and syncing of 2FA codes as well.

Naturally this presents an extremely tempting attack surface but they have been on their game so far and do require complex passwords and proper 2FA for account creation and access.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I bought a yubikey but apparently you need two for using the Apple implementation? I just use it with 1pass instead.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Did they ever make it so the NFC ones worked with iPhones/iOS 1P? I think I have one lying around doing nothing.

We need more wearable NFC keys. I had a livestrong type bracelet in college that had a tiny USB stick inside you could use to boot into a Linux distro. They handed them out as one of the intro CS courses so everyone had easy access to a Linux instance and it kicked so much rear end.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I set up NFC security keys on my account and I’m honestly not even sure how to get prompted to use them.

If I try to sign in to appleid.apple.com, it wants my email, my password, and the code sent to my phone. There is no security key option.

Edit: nevermind, I never actually set it up. I think one of my devices hadn’t been updated to the needed OS version at the time.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 23, 2024

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Security key is only needed for signing into new devices, and yeah, you need two to set it up for your AppleID. Cloudflare had a promo with yubikey a year or so ago and I got a few 5C NFC Yubikeys for $10 each.

I don’t think I’d ever dump 1Password for keychain unless Apple decided to create a better standalone app.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Now that I actually set it up it works well. You can sign in on a new computer without needing anything other than email, password, and the key. No phone required.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

Did they ever make it so the NFC ones worked with iPhones/iOS 1P? I think I have one lying around doing nothing.

We need more wearable NFC keys. I had a livestrong type bracelet in college that had a tiny USB stick inside you could use to boot into a Linux distro. They handed them out as one of the intro CS courses so everyone had easy access to a Linux instance and it kicked so much rear end.

The NFC Yubis work well but can be pretty dodgy over that and USB if you don't disable things like the keyboard/OTP and stuff on the flagship models. At that point either buy the FIDO2 only "Security Key" or plug it into a real compy and disable the stuff you aren't using.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

smackfu posted:

What are people using for two factor codes lately? Seems like three main categories of options:

1) Dedicated app like Google Authenticator. This doesn’t seem to have any autofill but it’s very easy to generate a code and use it on something other than my phone. Used to be very easy to lose all your codes with your phone but I think this has backup now.

2) Use the support built into 1Password. All my password-like things would be in one place. Pay for this already.

3) Use the support built into iOS. No dedicated app. Not sure how to get the code for use on other computers. Presumably best autofill?

I was using Authy and bitwarden. Slowly moving over to all in bitwarden. Big recommendation for bitwarden too.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

tuyop posted:

I was using Authy and bitwarden. Slowly moving over to all in bitwarden. Big recommendation for bitwarden too.

I didn't know Bitwarden could also handle 2FA codes. I'm also on Authy and Bitwarden but it would be nice if I could consolidate them.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So turns out I’ve been recording videos at way too high a quality and my iCloud storage is basically full. The tier up after 200GB is the overkill 2TB tier which is a jump from £2.99 to £8.99 a month!

Anyway, two questions I guess:
1) is there a good app for viewing my photo library sorted by file size so I can see the biggest offenders to mark for deletion?
2) I could probably just compress most of these videos to a lower bit rate and be fine. There’s apps for doing this, but do any of them retain all the time/location data from the original videos so I don’t lose out on any of that stuff? Bonus points if it adds the compressed version back into any albums the original featured in!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

tuyop posted:

Yeah this me too but also moving (slowly!) from Google too.

I kind of thought it would be a bad idea to have 2FA codes also in your password manager? If you don’t then there’s additional layer of security I thought?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Red_Fred posted:

Yeah this me too but also moving (slowly!) from Google too.

I kind of thought it would be a bad idea to have 2FA codes also in your password manager? If you don’t then there’s additional layer of security I thought?

Yeah I feel this way too but I’ll keep bitwarden’s token in Authy, that way if someone gets my password, they still need my phone and its password/my face.

Then they do have like every account ever but like, I think I’d have bigger problems at that point.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

So turns out I’ve been recording videos at way too high a quality and my iCloud storage is basically full. The tier up after 200GB is the overkill 2TB tier which is a jump from £2.99 to £8.99 a month!

Anyway, two questions I guess:
1) is there a good app for viewing my photo library sorted by file size so I can see the biggest offenders to mark for deletion?
2) I could probably just compress most of these videos to a lower bit rate and be fine. There’s apps for doing this, but do any of them retain all the time/location data from the original videos so I don’t lose out on any of that stuff? Bonus points if it adds the compressed version back into any albums the original featured in!

Photos should do the trick. It’s where all your photos and videos are stored generally too. It can also trim your videos, which is probably a better approach than trying to re-encode your collection. If you’re set on that though exporting at a lower resolution and reimporting is an option. Generally though I’d think having shorter and fewer videos will save you more time and space.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Another goon had the strategy that I use for 2FA/Passwords:

- All logins and almost every 2FA on 1Password
- The 2FA for 1Password on Authy

So if 1P is compromised and is assumed that all of my 2FA is there, it kinda isn't.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

nitsuga posted:

Photos should do the trick. It’s where all your photos and videos are stored generally too. It can also trim your videos, which is probably a better approach than trying to re-encode your collection. If you’re set on that though exporting at a lower resolution and reimporting is an option. Generally though I’d think having shorter and fewer videos will save you more time and space.
I don’t see a way in Photos to sort by file size, though. I can go into each video and see what the size it but doing it one at a time would take forever.

Trimming stuff wouldn’t be ideal since it would again need me to go in one by one to save a few seconds here and there, plus I want the full 59 seconds of my dog trying not to fall asleep, but the video doesn’t need to be 590MB for that.

Unfortunately even the inbuilt video re-encoder using Shortcuts strips all the date and location metadata. :(

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I don’t see a way in Photos to sort by file size, though. I can go into each video and see what the size it but doing it one at a time would take forever.

Trimming stuff wouldn’t be ideal since it would again need me to go in one by one to save a few seconds here and there, plus I want the full 59 seconds of my dog trying not to fall asleep, but the video doesn’t need to be 590MB for that.

Unfortunately even the inbuilt video re-encoder using Shortcuts strips all the date and location metadata. :(

I don't think what you want exists, at least not within iPadOS/iOS.

That said, a Mac would be really helpful here, as it can export video with all the metadata no matter what resolution you export it at. Sorting by file size doesn't seem to be an option anywhere, but you can at least narrow it down to the media type, and then all the times are printed on the thumbnails. I think it's going to take some effort and a computer would be very helpful too, that's just how it is unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

If you’ve already hit the 200gb threshold, shrinking some videos to drop below it again is only delaying the inevitable. Embrace the 2tb tier.

I say that as someone where iCloud and Prime are the only 2 subscriptions I pay for. The photo library just isn’t worth compromising on.