Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

Thuryl posted:

Kiwi in SF2 is one of the coolest characters both design-wise and mechanically and it's tragic that he's almost unusably bad

Peter is cool mechanically too, though some of his special mechanics aren't obvious unless you get him killed or have specific spells cast on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Peter is pretty boring in practice. He's very intentionally designed to be super powerful and easy to use.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
There's a few surprises in each game so don't sleep on the games for being too simple. The aesthetic really is the highlight though.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I'm glad that Muryama at least got to see the outpouring of support from fans of Suikoden when Eiyuden Chronicle was kickstarted and he was able to finish his work on it but this just loving sucks, the Suikoden series is my favourite of all time and 55 is still way too young to go.

Endorph posted:

lucretia is kinda boring but also shes gay-coded so i support her

Lucretia at least looks cool and is very gay with Lelei but she's basically just the Suikoden version of Zhuge Liang and all the "just as I predicted" borderline magical bullshit tactics that entails.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 15, 2024

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Tequila Bob posted:

Murayama didn't actually have anything to do with Suikoden 4 or 5, or any of the spinoffs after 3.

Personally, my favorite part of Suikodens 1-3 was carrying data between each game. It made me feel super invested in the world; it's not just Suikoden, it's my version of Suikoden. I hope Aiyuden carries this tradition forward if it continues as a series.

(I seem to recall Suikoden Tactics had some bonuses from S4 data too? Never played S:T so I can't say for sure)

This is exactly what sucked me into Suikoden and set it so far apart from other rpg series for me. But yeah the lack of Murayama's involvement in Suiko5 is unfortunately glaringly obvious

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
They don't do that type of rpg design that good anymore, various small setpieces and simple systems that make up a whole bigger than the sum of its parts. Even indie rpgs that take influence from jrpgs falter on that regard. Anyways, I'll be getting eyuden, rip

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Xenoblade 2: This mentor guy is sending a ton of death flags, namely that he's on no cover art of the game, nor is he conventionally attractive or in any way cute like the other cast members.

Also another version of him shows up in the third game and he doesn't last ten minutes.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Shining Force 1 was one of the first games and definitely the first rpg I played in my life. I remember that I had recently learned to read and the game was pretty challenging for me to understand, enough so that I replayed it like four times over the years after that, and I remember my genuine shock at finding some of the secret(ish) characters organically on subsequent playthroughs and being like "holy poo poo this guy has been here the whole time and I just never found him?"

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

fridge corn posted:

This is exactly what sucked me into Suikoden and set it so far apart from other rpg series for me. But yeah the lack of Murayama's involvement in Suiko5 is unfortunately glaringly obvious

I kinda know what you mean, Eiyuden Rising's writing had a charm I recognized from the early Suikoden games even decades later.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
When in the gently caress is Konami releasing the Suikoden I and II remasters

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

MechaX posted:

When in the gently caress is Konami releasing the Suikoden I and II remasters

Maybe they're trying to fix some of S2's English bugs, and it's taking a while? That's the optimistic view I'm gonna take.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
just found out king's field ps1 games have animated save icons. here's the one for king's field 1 (japan)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tequila Bob posted:

Maybe they're trying to fix some of S2's English bugs, and it's taking a while? That's the optimistic view I'm gonna take.

not sure how much faith i have in bugfixing for a company that released a port of mgs2 that can't run on modern hard drives without getting loading errors

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tales of Arise coming to gamepass so all yall who skipped it can enjoy 2/5ths of a fun JRPG and one of the contestants in "worst tank" brackets

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I think I will continue to slowly chip away at yakuza 5 instead

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i have too many tales games to play that i know i'll like more first

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've already played them all

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

All the tales games available for ps5 were just put on ps+ as well, just in time for me to have realised I probably won't like any of them

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

fridge corn posted:

All the tales games available for ps5 were just put on ps+ as well, just in time for me to have realised I probably won't like any of them

Berseria is the only one I got really into; I recommend it it’s silly as hell.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

TheMightyBoops posted:

Berseria is the only one I got really into; I recommend it it’s silly as hell.

Yeah that's the one I played and I didn't find much I liked about it unfortunately which is why I'm hesitant to try any of the others

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I need silly as hell right now tbh.

Not sure I'm in the right headspace these days for games (or media in general) where the general plot is "life is going to absolutely poo poo on the protagonist/their friends and they're going to grow by struggling on anyway".

It's why I actually enjoyed the Hyperdimension Neptunia games despite them being kind of terrible - they're so saccharine and goofy they made me smile lmao.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Annath posted:

I need silly as hell right now tbh.

Not sure I'm in the right headspace these days for games (or media in general) where the general plot is "life is going to absolutely poo poo on the protagonist/their friends and they're going to grow by struggling on anyway".

It's why I actually enjoyed the Hyperdimension Neptunia games despite them being kind of terrible - they're so saccharine and goofy they made me smile lmao.

I am not sure Bersaria is the game you want then. It is silly as hell but also it is 100% about that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just play Atelier games, they're generally even lower stakes is than Nep games and not actively awful to play

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

ImpAtom posted:

I am not sure Bersaria is the game you want then. It is silly as hell but also it is 100% about that.

Oh.

Huh.

Welp... I guess I'll see what happens then. I mean, I guess I should have guessed based on Velvet's outfit :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Just play Atelier games, they're generally even lower stakes is than Nep games and not actively awful to play

Yeah, I agree with this. Atelier games.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
I played Atelier Meruru recently and that game was fantastic. I think I liked Totori a little more on a personal level, but Meruru is definitely the more polished game so I’d recommend that one highly.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
How are the Ryza games? I think I actually already have the 1st of those.

I also have a Vita with CFW so if the Atelier games on that are cool that's doable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Annath posted:

I also have a Vita with CFW so if the Atelier games on that are cool that's doable.

My personal favorite of the Atelier games is the Dusk trilogy (Ayesha, Escha & Logy, Shallie) which are all available in "plus" versions on the Vita. Ryza is still plenty fun too. Be warned that Ayesha and Escha&Logy (and the games prior to them) all have time limits so if that stresses you out you may want to start with Ryza.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I really need to play Escha and Logy at some point, I’ve heard a lot of good things about that game. I still need to commit to finishing Ayesha, it’s one of those games I enjoy but I always try to revisit and finish it when something new comes out shortly after to snatch my attention away.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Nintendo switch getting the PC-88 version of Ys 1 is not something I would of expected though it's neat you can play that version even if the PC Engine/TG16 version is the best of the original Ys 1 and 2 games

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

ImpAtom posted:

My personal favorite of the Atelier games is the Dusk trilogy (Ayesha, Escha & Logy, Shallie) which are all available in "plus" versions on the Vita. Ryza is still plenty fun too. Be warned that Ayesha and Escha&Logy (and the games prior to them) all have time limits so if that stresses you out you may want to start with Ryza.

What kind of time limits?

Like, Persona games have "time limits" for the number of days to complete each dungeon, but they're generally suuuuper lenient and I've never once had any issues with that. Actually I usually beat the dungeons within like 2-3 days of opening them...

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The ones in Atelier are also super lenient. The only reason to give a warning is that some people find it stressful just knowing they exist.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Yeah, Atelier games are pretty generous and it’s usually a no brainer to get a decent ending with the time you’re allotted. Getting the best or more unique endings are a bit of a trickier process, but usually for reasons unrelated to the time limit.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

fridge corn posted:

Where are you seeing this? They don't show up as available on PS+ for me

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

Where are you seeing this? They don't show up as available on PS+ for me

They were just announced yesterday so they don't go live until next Tuesday I think. Part of the mid-month classics update

E:

https://blog.playstation.com/2024/0...halla-and-more/

Available from the 20th

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Nintendo switch getting the PC-88 version of Ys 1 is not something I would of expected though it's neat you can play that version even if the PC Engine/TG16 version is the best of the original Ys 1 and 2 games

I'm glad that a bunch of PC-88 games are getting ported for historical reasons I just wouldn't really like to play any of them that much lol

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

fridge corn posted:

They were just announced yesterday so they don't go live until next Tuesday I think. Part of the mid-month classics update

E:

https://blog.playstation.com/2024/0...halla-and-more/

Available from the 20th

Oh awesome, thanks!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Annath posted:

I enjoyed Ryza 1 a lot and would recommend it if you just want something cozy to play.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Annath posted:

What kind of time limits?

Like, Persona games have "time limits" for the number of days to complete each dungeon, but they're generally suuuuper lenient and I've never once had any issues with that. Actually I usually beat the dungeons within like 2-3 days of opening them...

You have a time limit to complete certain objectives but they are extremely lenient. Ayesha is a little more strict than E&L (but also a bit more freeform) but they're not anything that should give you serious issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
finished king's field 2. insane that this was the second game from ever made