Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Shadski posted:

Class / build recommendations for controller play. I just wanna chill with my steam deck and smash/shoot/spell monsters.
I think they're updating controller support so hopefully 1.0 won't have poop targeting. I'd be happy if they just added aim on right stick, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shadski posted:

Class / build recommendations for controller play. I just wanna chill with my steam deck and smash/shoot/spell monsters.

Swarmblade druid and Shadow Dagger bladdancer Swarmblade is literally a 2 button build.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

gnoma posted:

Building around Bleed Overload and Rip Blood on Warlock or Lich should fit what you're asking for. Bleed Overload casts a spell called Rip Blood every second while its active. Rip Blood can be specced to recast itself when it kills enemies and has a subskill in its tree called Blood Splatters that deals area damage. It can be triggered via a movement skill (Transplant) and used as a spammable for single target. Hitting 25 stacks of bleed to trigger the overload is pretty easy even for a crit build, so you don't even necessarily need to scale ailment damage.

This is what the necrotic conversion looks like on Lich currently without the extra casts from Bleed Overload:
https://imgur.com/poJcRPR.mp4

No planners for it but here is a recent build guide for a physical lich version: Wrong Warp Blood Explosion 160% Movement Speed Lich

Another good option for flashy, satisfying clear is spark charges on Mage. It's a lightning ailment that explodes for a big hit after 2 seconds or when another spark charge is applied. It uses a unique offhand called Fragment of the Enigma that is pretty easy to find and scales with int and spell crit, which makes it an easy fit for many Mage builds.

Here is what it looks like with Elemental Nova:
https://imgur.com/nnSpY2f.mp4

There are a ton of versions of it since it's a popular archetype. Lightning Blast, Runic Invocation, Frostclaw, Mana Strike.

Ooo the spark charges build looks right up my alley. Thanks!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My general impression/opinoins of the classes and masteries for anyone who cares, hopefully this might help someone narrow it down. I haven't played them all but I'm an altoholic so I've levelled a bunch into mid monos at least

Sentinel: I don't like this class for any of the masteries because it has the same problem as barb in D4 in that you have three mandatory buff spells across all the viable builds. Chief among these is volatile reversal, which resets your mana, health, and buffs to what they were two seconds before. I hate snapshotting mechanics. Still, there are some very powerful builds here.

Rogue: Shadowdagger blade master is strong as hell. It's mobile, and you leave vortexes of death that just melt content. I've barely played any marksman but unless you just have to play a bow class I don't see any reason to roll MM over blademaster. SDBM was also my fastest and easiest leveling experience.

Mage: As it stands, roll runemaster or nothing. Spellblade is consistently an underperforming class and sorceror is just a shittier runemaster. Runemaster is such an interesting, unique (and strong) class that it behooves you to pick this mastery over the others

Acolyte: Lots of variety for necro, but some of the most powerful builds require you to cast spells on your minions, which isn't possible with a controller. Better than a D4 minion necro, anyway. (I'm not a huge fan of minion builds in general so) Lich is going to depend on how much you like using a long cooldown at low life as most builds are built around Death Seal (which gives you more power the less health you have) and a 20s CD Reaper Form. As you get later it's easier to maintain uptime (not sure if you can ever get to 100% though) but in the early goings you're spending half the time as a weak caster running away from guys while you wait for your Reaper form to come off CD.

Primalist: Shaman is a joke, the mastery needs a complete overhaul. Beastmaster isn't as bad but it isn't good either. Druid is a very strong class, but the top builds play extremely similar to a D4 pulverize druid.

I've not played any of the two new classes so I'm going to roll one of those (and then the other shortly after probably) but given how far ahead of the other classes Runemaster is, I'm expecting that these two masteries will be the standouts in their class at launch.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

zoux posted:

Primalist: Shaman is a joke, the mastery needs a complete overhaul. Beastmaster isn't as bad but it isn't good either. Druid is a very strong class, but the top builds play extremely similar to a D4 pulverize druid.

Speaking which, there was a dev blog yesterday about reworking Tempest Strike and replacing Ice Thorns with a new skill that's basically the lightning bolts that Shamans like to summon with everything else, thus allowing them to be upgraded through a skill tree.

I guess it's implied that other classes and skills will be getting minor reworks for 1.0.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 15, 2024

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Clarste posted:

Speaking which, there was a dev blog today about reworking Tempest Strike and replacing Ice Thorns with a new skill that's basically the lightning bolts that Shamans like to summon with everything else, thus allowing them to be upgraded through a skill tree.

I guess it's implied that other classes and skills will be getting minor reworks for 1.0.

They’ve been saying there is like 60 pages of patch notes for 1.0 so I imagine a decent chunk of those are rebalancing.

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

smile :]
I'm still picking away at the POE league, but I picked this up in anticipation of the launch next week. Are there, like, guilds or global chat channels that everyone is using? The game seems super neat.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
Spellblade is good. The ward on hit and defensive layers it gets make it very tanky and every skill you'd use on it handles 500+ corruption and T4 bosses fine. You can also trade away defenses for glass cannon Shatter Strike and get super fast boss kills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUfbJl2q39U

It's an older mastery so doesn't have a lot of bugs and overtuned stuff like Runemaster, but is very solid. I've taken multiple versions to end game and can recommend it if you want a flashy melee with teleport that can no sell 95% of boss attacks.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah Shatter Strike Spellblade is pretty fun and there are easy to acquire set items that really get you started so you don't have to worry too much about item hunting to get things rolling.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

If they rework Tempest Strike to something vaguely useful I'm gonna start Primalist immediately

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Having just gotten a shaman through the campaign, like, just now, I do like the idea of the screen being full of lightning bolts, forever.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

They better not touch Earthquake!!! except to make it look COOLER.

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010
What's the better smite on hammer hit class, Void Knight or Paladin?

I've played the Paladin version before, started with holy trail lance, switched to bleed hammer until i got idols, then facerolled with the smite idols.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

Paladin has the higher floor, Void Knight has the higher ceiling. Void Knight has better late game uniques like Ravenous Void, Bulwark of the Last Abyss, and Anchor of Oblivion and because you scale with vitality you get tankier. Paladin has a lot of baseline defenses that make the transition into empowered monoliths easier but because you're scaling mana with Devotion you lose out on vitality prefixes on the chest and helm and don't have similar high value legendary items to shoot for.

Nova Hammers is stronger on Paladin though, due to that build having a harder time capping crit and scaling the same on either mastery.

nerox
May 20, 2001

gnoma posted:

Paladin has the higher floor, Void Knight has the higher ceiling. Void Knight has better late game uniques like Ravenous Void, Bulwark of the Last Abyss, and Anchor of Oblivion and because you scale with vitality you get tankier. Paladin has a lot of baseline defenses that make the transition into empowered monoliths easier but because you're scaling mana with Devotion you lose out on vitality prefixes on the chest and helm and don't have similar high value legendary items to shoot for.

Nova Hammers is stronger on Paladin though, due to that build having a harder time capping crit and scaling the same on either mastery.

I was thinking of leveling as the autobomber Void knight build and transition to the smite on hammer build. Is that a terrible plan?

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

That will work well.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The Locator posted:

D4 just went on sale on Steam for 40% off. Still over $40, but I might cave in and finally buy it to play through the campaign. Not sure how long it will be before it gets cheaper than that.

Good news - D4 will be on Gamepass soon -

https://twitter.com/XboxGamePassPC/status/1758219989239423043

The person who posted this to Reddit said it's coming March 28th, but I don't know where they got that date from.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
still not worth that price

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sab669 posted:

The person who posted this to Reddit said it's coming March 28th, but I don't know where they got that date from.

It came directly from the head of Xbox, Phil Spencer. But also its in the tweet you just shared. :P

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh haha, I just clicked to the last few seconds of the video assuming it'd be like a "fade to black with the date after the actual clip" thing.

The campaign is definitely worth $15 IMO.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Yeah, D4's single-player campaign is fine. Definitely not $70 fine, but worth a playthrough if you have Gamepass already.

All the fundamental problems only really become apparent in the endgame. The game's engine has some surprising limitations, and the endgame structure seems to go out of its way to accentuate those limits.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh, so that's why they added a 65$ horse skin to Diablo 4?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The entire games balance is centered around the cash shop and seasonal battle pass. So it completely ruins the flow and pacing of the game. There's no way to fix it unless the cash shop and battle passes are removed. The game has to be played a certain way in order to inflate player engagement and play hours. Its why the damage output of the classes is so low and enemies are such huge health sponges. Can't have players finishing the seasonal content too quickly.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I said come in! posted:

The entire games balance is centered around the cash shop and seasonal battle pass. So it completely ruins the flow and pacing of the game. There's no way to fix it unless the cash shop and battle passes are removed. The game has to be played a certain way in order to inflate player engagement and play hours. Its why the damage output of the classes is so low and enemies are such huge health sponges. Can't have players finishing the seasonal content too quickly.

:psyduck:

players are insanely powerful and smashing everything is expected

D4 needs some serious endgame love and the itemization revamp that's supposedly coming next season, but not being able to kill everything in sight with a quickness is not one of its core issues by any stretch

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

I said come in! posted:

I really don't like d4 because the itemization is a trash fire and there's no loot filter, but thus post is like completely incorrect lol.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The cosmetics are grossly over priced and the game is just not very well designed. But I don't really see a connection between the two besides they're both bad.

King Cocoa Butter
Mar 24, 2021

Don't be ashy.

Shadski posted:

Spin to win and hammerdin both play pretty well on controller as you'd expect, I have probably 20 hours between the two, all logged on Steam Deck before bed.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Why does description for this ability talks about "chance to be cast" when it's actually picks the element in the exact same order every time?

EDIT: Oh nevermind, the actual damage is different every time, but the runes that it grants for the Runic Invocation is always in the same order.

https://streamable.com/54uo5t

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 16, 2024

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOh9eEHA8Ng

Raxxanterax made a complete beginners guide, for those who are just getting to know the game

J
Jun 10, 2001

New trailer thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddvY964TCoQ

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sab669 posted:

That would require I have Gamepass. :)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:shrug: I have no qualms with subbing for a month to functionally rent a game I want to play but know I will never want to play a second time.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
As an old man pc gamer superiority type, I did finally decide to get an xbox a few months ago and try game pass. It's....really pretty awesome.

My family all like to play games for a little bit, so it gives them a lot of variety to gently caress around with things, without having to buy of bunch of stuff to only play for 4-5 hours.

Then I can play stuff on my PC too, and even on my phone using a backbone controller adapter thing (via streaming from the xbox, or cloud gaming if I don't have it installed - cloud gaming isn't perfect though). Been plenty of stuff (mainly shooters) that I've been checking out, that I couldn't be arsed to buy.

Not trying to shill for game pass, but as someone who never bothers with consoles other than Nintendo, jumping in recently made me really dig the service.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Gamepass is fine, D4 is the thing that sucks

Been enjoying playing runemaster so far, only lvl30 but it's been a lot of fun electrocuting anything and everything

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No point in playing Diablo IV either way no matter what, when a superior ARPG comes out of early access in 5 days.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I mean yea LE is the better game overall, but D4 does have the best/coolest campaign of any ARPG [which as I said on the other page is an extremely low bar]... Plus not like it'll be taken off Gamepass, so can just play it down the line if one really wants to experience it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

New dev blog about Healing Hands skill tree. To be honest, I have to wonder if they're going too far almost? The skill itself is completely unrecognizable.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Clarste posted:

New dev blog about Healing Hands skill tree. To be honest, I have to wonder if they're going too far almost? The skill itself is completely unrecognizable.

What does this have to do with Diablo 4

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Sab669 posted:

I mean yea LE is the better game overall, but D4 does have the best/coolest campaign of any ARPG [which as I said on the other page is an extremely low bar]... Plus not like it'll be taken off Gamepass, so can just play it down the line if one really wants to experience it.

starting to think u have incredibly poor arpg taste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I really hope they release new league mechanics and blatantly rip off the atlas tree from POE. I think one of the biggest thing that gives POE legs is the ability to tune what you enjoy by adjusting mechanics while trying to find the best ways to make money.
For the money to be exciting though, they need chase items to save up for.

The bear bones of this game is fantastic, I cannot wait to see what the devs continue to add to the game. Hopefully the end game grows while the customization options continue to increase alongside it.

Might look into this cool Warlock Build. Build looks fun and I like to roleplay as Fairuza Balk from "The Craft"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWCV74mGCnU Cool

DangerDongs fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 16, 2024