Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's fun isn't it? The entire economic consensus outside of senile paedophiles is some form of Keynesianism, and yet our elite are allowed to go on TV and call that Soviet Communism and be heralded as sensible adults finally in the room after seven decades of Jimmbly Bumblebee personally stealing your wealth dressed as the Grinch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

I actually read an interview with...I think her, certainly one of his exes. It was honestly hideously depressing. Like, obviously all this misogyny & poo poo which is unpleasant, but Hugh didn't even seem to particularly enjoy his life, it was all pitifully lonely, as well as being creepy as gently caress.
He did support civil rights for Black people men as a younger man, and ran articles to that effect that other publications wouldn't touch, so credit is due there.

But yeah, large debit due for being a miserable misogynist gently caress the whole rest of his life. The playboy lifestyle!

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Tapping the "avoid woke lines" checkbox on my TFL route planner app, so that I can take a complicated 12-change round trip that takes 2 hours longer and owns the libs

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sticking a progress pride flag sticker on the border of a signboard at stop 9 to ruin the whole thing.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1758123706260308151

After the recent protest vids, I wonder if most of them will be forced to do telephone canvassing?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If any of them call I'm going to demand they sing A Good Heart

Especially if it's not Feargal calling.

Unless it's Wes, don't even want to hear him singing ironically.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That couldn't be a more obvious "not actually on the phone" if he tried.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

He can hold a phone

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

That couldn't be a more obvious "not actually on the phone" if he tried.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Side question, is propylene glycol actually useful as antifreeze or is it functionally useless compared to ethylene glycol?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

I actually read an interview with...I think her, certainly one of his exes. It was honestly hideously depressing. Like, obviously all this misogyny & poo poo which is unpleasant, but Hugh didn't even seem to particularly enjoy his life, it was all pitifully lonely, as well as being creepy as gently caress.
I mean Gloria Steinem back in the 70s made it widely known how much of a oval office he was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi3Lgi4pNok

Claimed of course that he had no idea this was going on and did a bunch of handwaving PR exercises to launder his reputation, but 'Hugh Hefner was a weird misogynist' is hardly a scoop.

Unless Morgan is planning to do a weird hostile interview taking her apart to appeal to his misogynist base.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Side question, is propylene glycol actually useful as antifreeze or is it functionally useless compared to ethylene glycol?
It's good at not blinding you or killing you, so that's a functional use.

You can also get the freezing point of water down to -45C, so it is definitely an antifreeze, but it has much inferior thermal conductivity.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Right but is it any use at softening the ice or am I just as well giving myself armache with just a scraper and no de-icer?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What is it you're trying to do, deicing (like in a freezer) works differently to antifreeze (stopping water freezing in the first place) so you might be better with something like calcium chloride or table salt for deicing (as long as it's only in contact with plastic or aluminium, it's bad for stainless steel).

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

IIRC the trains never really ran on time under Mussolini, and although it was initially a point of fascist rhetoric it transformed over time into a bitter ironic joke, especially by the time of WW2 when the Italian rail network collapsed.

[b]In the UK you just don't bother building any new rail/b], and devote all your resources into fining passengers

We do renew a lot of track if that counts as building new rail. I just did 1,000 yards worth over last weekend and I was loving knackered at the end of it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bessantj posted:

We do renew a lot of track if that counts as building new rail. I just did 1,000 yards worth over last weekend and I was loving knackered at the end of it.

Not meant as a criticism of you wonderful grimy lads down in the tunnels and whatnot, but yeah that doesn't really count to me as "new rail" in the macro sense

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Not meant as a criticism of you wonderful grimy lads down in the tunnels and whatnot, but yeah that doesn't really count to me as "new rail" in the macro sense

So you mean like whole new lines? They are reopening some lines around the U.K. that have been closed for decades and not a moment too soon.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

IIRC the trains never really ran on time under Mussolini, and although it was initially a point of fascist rhetoric it transformed over time into a bitter ironic joke, especially by the time of WW2 when the Italian rail network collapsed.

Correct. It was one of the populist things that the fascist government promised when it came to power - Bringing Order to the chaotic Italian railway system and making the trains Work For Ordinary People to Strengthen The Nation blahblahblah.

But it never really happened. The Italian Railways generally improved slightly over the 1920s as they were rebuilt after WW1, and the fascists made a few key big, eye-catching investments in new or modernised lines, stations and rolling stock. These tended to be lines that were predominantly used by foreign business visitors and tourists, like the ones between Milan and Venice and Milan and Rome. These routes generally had better, faster, more modern rolling stock and better timekeeping. Trains that connected with international services at borders, docks and airports were given accelerated and prioritised schedules so they did run on time, and very fast. But usually at the expense of standards services being delayed or re-routed. But it meant that loads of tourists went home to confirm how Mussolini had made the Italian trains run on time and what a marvellous example of strong national leadership and modernist vision it represented.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

bessantj posted:

So you mean like whole new lines? They are reopening some lines around the U.K. that have been closed for decades and not a moment too soon.
According to people who've lived in our village for years, our local station was closed down in the 60s (ironically just as a ton of new housing was built), and every politician since has claimed that reopening it has been a key priority.

Our latest one (tory) is claiming that a private developer wants to build it, so doubtless this is another scam the government is either going to be renting back at an exorbitant cost, or maybe just a scammer wants to get paid millions to attend a bunch of planning meetings before concluding in a few years (once the money runs out) that it's sadly not possible.

I'm not optimistic even thpugh a station would help a LOT of people locally get into the bigger towns for shopping, work etc.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

According to people who've lived in our village for years, our local station was closed down in the 60s (ironically just as a ton of new housing was built), and every politician since has claimed that reopening it has been a key priority.

Our latest one (tory) is claiming that a private developer wants to build it, so doubtless this is another scam the government is either going to be renting back at an exorbitant cost, or maybe just a scammer wants to get paid millions to attend a bunch of planning meetings before concluding in a few years (once the money runs out) that it's sadly not possible.

I'm not optimistic even thpugh a station would help a LOT of people locally get into the bigger towns for shopping, work etc.

Beeching did a good job of loving things up when he closed so many stations. They are reopening a bunch of stations on the South Wales valley lines which will be a big help so i hope that your MP bucks the trend and actually gets your line open again.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-68296404

BBC posted:

Fears for Manchester playground after dog bite vandalism found

Residents fear a popular Manchester playground could be lost amid reports it is being used to train dogs at night - with swings and other equipment apparently damaged by biting.

The Friends of Cringle Park said "huge chunks" have been ripped out of equipment at the park in Levenshulme.

Patrols in the area have been stepped up by Greater Manchester Police after various complaints.

"It's pretty disgusting", said park volunteer Stuart Fear.

He said the damage had been so bad that Manchester City Council has had to replace the swing seats about six times since December.

"They can only do it so many times," Mr Fear said.

I want to say this only got picked up because of compoface's surname.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
ELC Bullies

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

rocket_Magnet posted:

Look at the pics lol.
That third one, no loving way is that from a dog.
Someone with a knife sure, clean cuts, no gnaw or teeth marks anywhere on it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Steroid Staffie with a zombie knife, hopped up on disposable vapes and whipped cream propellant.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

What is it you're trying to do, deicing (like in a freezer) works differently to antifreeze (stopping water freezing in the first place) so you might be better with something like calcium chloride or table salt for deicing (as long as it's only in contact with plastic or aluminium, it's bad for stainless steel).

Oh right, yeah. Basically I've been looking at options for dealing with an icy windshield as the previous few times has been a coin flip of mild annoyance in the morning to "gently caress I'M GOING TO BE LATE" and I was wondering if I could make the latter more like the former without making the neighborhood a zone rouge in my wake.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I'd be cautious about salts like calcium chloride in that case just because of the presence of rubber seals, although I suppose if you've ever driven on salted roads you'll have plenty all over the vehicle anyway, so a concentrated solution of calc chloride and lukewarm water would work and isn't any worse than what's all over the roads.

Isopropyl alcohol and water also works as a deicer in that case, and is much gentler on synthetic rubbers than meths spirits or grain alcohol or salts.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/WritesBright/status/1758166680683848024

£530 a day to head the low pay commission :allears:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wonder if she'll get some of those unpaid interns from the modern slavery commission.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Is the job of the Low Pay Commission to try to keep wages as low as possible? I honestly can’t tell anymore if that’s just the obvious joke or simply correct or where the gently caress we are in the satire dimension at the moment

I’m gonna guess it’s a double-bluff Orwellian naming thing where the stated purpose is to look into causes of low pay to try to prevent it, but the actual purpose is to prevent any changes that might cause pay to rise

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

quote:

Our main business is to advise the Government on the levels of the National Minimum Wage (NMW), including the National Living Wage (NLW). We make recommendations to the Government each autumn.
Source

Yeah so it’s basically just straight up “our job is to keep wages low” lol

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

TACD posted:

Is the job of the Low Pay Commission to try to keep wages as low as possible? I honestly can’t tell anymore if that’s just the obvious joke or simply correct or where the gently caress we are in the satire dimension at the moment

I’m gonna guess it’s a double-bluff Orwellian naming thing where the stated purpose is to look into causes of low pay to try to prevent it, but the actual purpose is to prevent any changes that might cause pay to rise

You managed to be not cynical enough. The purpose of the Low Pay Commission is that it has no purpose other than paying people like Philippa Stroud obscene amounts of money for doing nothing.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

My “WAGE PRICE SPIRAL!” T-shirt has people asking a lot of questions about what the gently caress else I do at the Low Pay Commission

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

rocket_Magnet posted:

This is 100% kids ripping off those bits of foam.

I know because as a little kid (read: a poo poo head) it's the kind of stuff we would absolutely do.

You can dig your nail in and make a little tear and then work your way through it. When you're sat around bored with nothing to do because the council have closed all the rec centers and nowhere wants a group of teenage lads hanging around, sitting in the park on the swings is kind of all you have.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

and they will conclude that the way to tackle low pay is to sanction universal credit payments to people who fail to find better paid work :nono: :monocle:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Can't be on low pay if you're not getting paid :smug:

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
does anyone have any hot opinions about where to get eyes tested (or indeed specs in genreral) these days? blue light card tells me i can get the test free at vision express as long as i spend at least £50, and then apparently i also get 30% off if i spend at least £50 but i don't know if the test still counts as free if that £50 is reduced

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Nuclear Spoon posted:

does anyone have any hot opinions about where to get eyes tested (or indeed specs in genreral) these days? blue light card tells me i can get the test free at vision express as long as i spend at least £50, and then apparently i also get 30% off if i spend at least £50 but i don't know if the test still counts as free if that £50 is reduced

No specific preference but thought useful to share general info to the thread - if you use computers daily for 1hr or more in your job, your employer must provide and pay for an eyesight test if you request one https://www.hse.gov.uk/msd/dse/eye-tests.htm with no obligation to buy. I just go wherever my employer has signed up for when I'm due and this rotates a lot so I have every optician in the city mailing me to say I'm negligent about regular eyetests.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
that's really useful actually to know actually, thanks! it turns out that nhs employers explicitly say they provide one, gotta explore that at work tomorrow

https://www.nhsemployers.org/jobs/employee-benefits

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
How much job seeking are you required to do on jobseekers allowance or whatever it is? More than an hour a day? On a computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
if you're on UC you can get a free eye test