Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

I don't think mocking those who do accomplishes anything positive.

fair point. i didn't mean to mock anyone, sorry about that. dog whistles are certainly real and crop up in unexpected places. i still contend that interpreting benign phrases this way actively helps the nazis shift their meaning and that worms is a cannon fodder clone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

ovenboy posted:

Lies of Pete Molyneux

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Lol

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

:hmmyes:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

:cheerdoge:

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

:five:

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

MSPain posted:

fair point. i didn't mean to mock anyone, sorry about that. dog whistles are certainly real and crop up in unexpected places. i still contend that interpreting benign phrases this way actively helps the nazis shift their meaning and that worms is a cannon fodder clone.

You're engaging earnestly with DnC.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

George posted:

You're engaging earnestly with DnC.

gently caress off.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

No. gently caress on.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

No. gently caress on.

gently caress in.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
:getin:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Holy poo poo

:popclap:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

at least he's not stefan molyneux

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

saying that stormgate sounds too much like stormfront is hilariously brain poisoned

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Mr. Fix It posted:

at least he's not stefan molyneux

Haha I've not heard that name in a while. What a pathetic little gently caress that guy was.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lol

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023
holy gently caress fable sucked so bad

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Caesar Saladin posted:

saying that stormgate sounds too much like stormfront is hilariously brain poisoned

Folks just want to be offended

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

And what's with all these SS ranks being the best in games? Seems a little sus.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

One of those commercial muds from back in the day, think it was Gemstone but might have been the other one by the same dudes, had a game client called Stormfront. As an extremely virtuous online person (seriously I have never once done or said anything that might be considered "punching down" and will rabidly attack anyone that does so as loudly and attention-grabbingly as possible), I feel outraged and know that something must be done.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I do my part by killing nazis in videogames.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

LIterallyABikeshop posted:

holy gently caress fable sucked so bad

Still the biggest disappointment in gaming. Which makes it so bizarre when people look back on Fable fondly. Maybe it's not so bad if you go in with no expectations or clue as to what it's supposed to be. I'll never know and I never considered playing a sequel to it. As far as I know they still never reached the original intention.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
I like dead island. It has an foreboding and grimy feel that contrasts really well with the tropical paradise setting. Going through big structures or engaging a group of zombies is scary in a way other zombie games don't have. I don't care for how many of these games are more horror-comedies with zombies as big ole goofballs that you beat up. Also, I think weapon degradation is dope.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Tetris 2 was an improvement on tetris 1

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Still the biggest disappointment in gaming. Which makes it so bizarre when people look back on Fable fondly. Maybe it's not so bad if you go in with no expectations or clue as to what it's supposed to be. I'll never know and I never considered playing a sequel to it. As far as I know they still never reached the original intention.

I've got a soft spot in my heart for Fable 2. Mind you, it's a deeply flawed game. But it shows hints of a number of things way ahead of its time. Stuff like the dog darting ahead of you, the co-op matchmaking process (shame that co-op itself was horribly bungled), etc... Even the busted-rear end housing economy stuff.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
What was Sacrifice like? That was Shiny and not Peter M, but I remember being interested in that as a kid.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Sapozhnik posted:

What was Sacrifice like? That was Shiny and not Peter M, but I remember being interested in that as a kid.

The game kinda doesn't work and it's a overly difficult game to work on current tech but the premise and presentation was top stuff.

Can't have a bad videogame if Tim Curry is in it

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
I was impressed at how non-linear the story was in Sacrifice. It always ends up in the same place, but you have a lot of influence over how things unfold to get there. I don't think I've seen another game do a branching plot in quite the same way.

the actual game part was kind of a slog

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Sacrifice was awesome in a bizarre fever dream kinda way. I mean you've got Tim Curry playing a god who is literally a smiley-faced balloon wrapped in a cloak, that alone should get most people interested.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

MSPain posted:

I was impressed at how non-linear the story was in Sacrifice. It always ends up in the same place, but you have a lot of influence over how things unfold to get there. I don't think I've seen another game do a branching plot in quite the same way.

Haven't played Sacrifice, but Alpha Protocol does what you are describing.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

MSPain posted:

:haibrow: Sacrifice was one of the few games i played through multiple times to see every branch. It just got really repetitive because the final 1/3rd of missions took a lot of gameplay to work through

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Tactics Ogre is still the state of the art all these years later.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Caesar Saladin posted:

Almost as bad as 'Richard Spencer was a developer for a Fallout mod.'

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Vic posted:

I do my part by killing nazis in videogames.

I always played the Nazis in the WW2 scenario in Civilization II. Using cheats negatively affects your score at the end of the match, but you got a big bonus if you managed to pull out a win as the side that's supposed to lose. Kid me sucked at video games, but I realized I could spawn in an infinite number of nukes, raze Europe to cinders, and still get the highest ranking at the end.

I decided I would rather be Hitler than Dan Quayle.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I think video games should stop having the laziest WW1/WW2 theming but whatever apparently some people rather that then have cool lasers.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

George posted:

Tactics Ogre is still the state of the art all these years later.

Not unpopular

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Duck and Cover posted:

I think video games should stop having the laziest WW1/WW2 theming but whatever apparently some people rather that then have cool lasers.

WW2 games have been out of vogue for so long that getting a new one would be novel again. Like when was the last big budget nazi shooter? The wolfenstein reboots?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

COD Vanguard was 2021.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

WW2 games have been out of vogue for so long that getting a new one would be novel again. Like when was the last big budget nazi shooter? The wolfenstein reboots?

That doesn't prevent me from saying it's a poo poo theme and should never be used. Besides it'll never be novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nameless Pete posted:

I always played the Nazis in the WW2 scenario in Civilization II. Using cheats negatively affects your score at the end of the match, but you got a big bonus if you managed to pull out a win as the side that's supposed to lose. Kid me sucked at video games, but I realized I could spawn in an infinite number of nukes, raze Europe to cinders, and still get the highest ranking at the end.

I decided I would rather be Hitler than Dan Quayle.

I played Civ II when I was young and stupid. Looking back, it and other Civ games have some strange choices for Leaders. I remember very clearly Civ II's choice for best Russian Male Leader was Lenin, and the choice for the Chinese was Mao. Did some hardcore Communist make the game is all I can wonder about now.