Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

post hole digger posted:

niners are melting down. its so over.

Oh no

Anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Was Wilks the reason Bosa was useless in the SB?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Fat Jesus posted:

Was Wilks the reason Bosa was useless in the SB?

He had a half sack and a few pressures. His miscues were his own bad reads, didn't seem scheme dependent and mostly that was losing contain looking to make a play.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Feel like bosa’s miscues mostly happened on the biggest plays but he played well most of the game, not that that’s the most inspiring defense, nor apologizing for his chud

Shanahan does have a good history of hiring DCs, but I agree with mcmagic—Saleh returns as the DC and belichick or vrabel becomes the jets HC

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Please let Bill coach Throw Rogan.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

They seem pretty confidant about it and made the decision right away, probably the right choice for both sides and Wilks will def keep working. I say bring him to the Steelers in a Flores fashion.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I don't think Saleh is returning to SF anytime soon

https://twitter.com/StatsOnFire/status/1757860133558714744

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

The Jets break you down more than a CIA black site.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Am I the only Chargers fan happy about the Trestman hire?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Bears have a top 10 offense while he was there?

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

a neat cape posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Bears have a top 10 offense while he was there?

He's basically the worst coach the Bears have had in recent memory and his firing led to them hiring Adam Gase and looking better.

In a non-playcalling setting he might be ok

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

IIRC Trestman’s offense was good in year one and got worse every year after.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

im not a chargers fan per se, but ive been watching them closely since ive liked harbaugh from his time at stanford and sf, and i think its a great hire. it doesnt sound like he'll have play calling duties, i dont think theres a ton of inherent downside in it.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

post hole digger posted:

im not a chargers fan per se, but ive been watching them closely since ive liked harbaugh from his time at stanford and sf, and i think its a great hire. it doesnt sound like he'll have play calling duties, i dont think theres a ton of inherent downside in it.

I know Trestmam loves Herbert and I like the idea of putting all these pass-forward guys (Trestman, Marcus Brady, Shane Day) around Greg Roman

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

a neat cape posted:

On the surface, his history as an OC and HC basically showed he’d have a decent first season with a team, then a mediocre second one. However, his play calling history included some teams that had kinda crazy luck one season and then came back to Earth the next.

His first year with the Bears was when Josh McCown had a crazy hucking run jump balls to Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffrey, and Martellus Bennett. If you want to go further back, he was the OC and IIRC actual play caller for the Raiders in 2002, who did real well until they ran into Gruden in the Super Bowl and then imploded the next year. Further back, he was also the OC for the Cardinals in 1998, when they pulled a bunch of last second wins out of their rear end to make the playoffs for the first time in decades, but they regressed hard the next year (Losing Larry Centers to free agency hurt) and went back to being the Cardinals. Before that, he replaced Mike Shanahan as OC for the 49ers in 1995, when Jerry Rice had his best season, but they struggled a bit (By their standards of the era) the next year and the team wanted him replaced (Which is another story but leads to Mooch as their head coach). Of more recent vintage, he also had two bland years as OC of the Ravens after being fired by Chicago, where late stage Flacco and other issues didn’t help.

If he’s in some non-play calling role, you can take the positive view that he’s been around for decades in the NFL and CFL and elsewhere, so maybe he has knowledge that can help. I think you wouldn’t want him being the dominant voice in the room making decisions on poo poo.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I wouldn't worry about it, he's just an assistant under an offensive HC.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I feel like maybe if your team holds the Chiefs to 19 points in regulation and you don't win, the defense is not the problem.

But I don't get the big head coach bucks so what do I know I guess

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

I feel like maybe if your team holds the Chiefs to 19 points in regulation and you don't win, the defense is not the problem.

Sounds like a team that needs A Professional Defensive Guru to me.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

CapnAndy posted:

Packers held them to 19 points in regulation and also fired their DC.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
There were also like eighteen games played before then

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Pontius Pilate posted:

Come on son. We all know the only data that matters is the last game

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Pontius Pilate posted:

Yep and the chiefs did not have an amazing offense this year while the 49ers spent a big chunk of the season getting gashed even while healthy on defense.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Not sure holding the chiefs to 20pts is some ringing endorsement when they've spent most of the season being held to 20pts by worse teams

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Note that the 49ers, for all their defensive problems... were 3rd in points allowed.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Kalli posted:

Note that the 49ers, for all their defensive problems... were 3rd in points allowed.

Yea, but they were bad in high leverage situations. Middle of the pack in red zone defense and bottom third in 3rd down defense. Almost the opposite of a bend-don’t-break defense.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
QB David Blough is joining the Commanders coaching staff, the second Lions QB to retire this season to focus on coaching.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 16, 2024

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/jasrifootball/status/1758255227050865066?t=ue03w2viv19sLx3qLvuNeQ&s=19

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Lmaoooo (if true)

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
There’s also been some speculation that they’re looking at hiring Pete Carroll for DC (again).

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Mega64 posted:

QB David Blough is joining the Commanders coaching staff, the second Lions QB to retire this season to focus on coaching.

Rip David Blough
That's his name
That name again is David Blough

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Coldforge posted:

There’s also been some speculation that they’re looking at hiring Pete Carroll for DC (again).

Had we not just discussed Marc Trestman joining the Chargers, I’d joke they’d bring him back to fully restore their 1995-1996 coordinators.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Staley was a good coordinator before he was a terrible HC. Wouldn't be the worst fit.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

MikeCrotch posted:

Rip David Blough
That's his name
That name again is David Blough

maaaan, I wanted to post it this time!!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Staley was a good coordinator before he was a terrible HC. Wouldn't be the worst fit.

He was good for one year with Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

if you need a guy to run a 2 high that gets shredded underneath, that's your man

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Forrest on Fire posted:

He's basically the worst coach the Bears have had in recent memory and his firing led to them hiring Adam Gase and looking better.

In a non-playcalling setting he might be ok

Local radio guys started calling Marc Trestman "Dr. Death" and ever since then I can't imagine a better name for the dude. He is, without a doubt, the single weirdest guy I've ever seen in the NFL. I'm thankful he's back in the league and far far away from the Bears.

Anyway, enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEwsGwFjqDs

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

a neat cape posted:

He was good for one year with Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey

Eh, bosa is pretty good.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Mike N Eich posted:

He is, without a doubt, the single weirdest guy I've ever seen in the NFL

sounds like he found the right coaching staff then

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

God loving damnit I WAS KIDDING.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

The thing about hiring Staley is that it feels like what they did when they hired Wilks. Like yeah, he has a defensive pedigree but are the Niners going to force him to run their scheme? It didn't seem to work out the first time but then again maybe what Staley did in LA is at least similar to San Francisco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Mike N Eich posted:

Local radio guys started calling Marc Trestman "Dr. Death" and ever since then I can't imagine a better name for the dude. He is, without a doubt, the single weirdest guy I've ever seen in the NFL. I'm thankful he's back in the league and far far away from the Bears.

Anyway, enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEwsGwFjqDs

Trestman and Jim together