Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sounds like a pro Palestine protester managed to get inside the House of Commons gallery today and got dragged out by parliamentary security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Arc Hammer posted:

Sounds like a pro Palestine protester managed to get inside the House of Commons gallery today and got dragged out by parliamentary security.

Very troubling and antisemitic. There are Jewish people in the house.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

DaysBefore posted:

I suspect Waye Mason will take it if he does end up running. One of the suburban councillors ir rumoured to run too though

Wayne Mansion wins the Mayorship and pushes through strong-mayor powers to enable his central platform plank: summary execution of any youths caught eating pizza within 100 yards of a boomers house after 11pm.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

they should establish a 1km security buffer around all the no-go zones to make it easier for folks to stay in the designated protest areas

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Putting a single Missing Person Israeli hostage poster on a wall generates a Jewish neighbourhood field, a sphere extending 5 km in all directions from the point of origin.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

RBC posted:

lol this is so loving dumb uhgg

WRONG

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
lol its so stupid

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

bunnyofdoom posted:

To get some money to pay debts he could do what every other child actor from YTV did, play a recurring serial killer on Murdoch Mysteries

Not anymore, Murdoch and Newfie constable caught them all!!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

ElehemEare posted:

Wayne Mansion wins the Mayorship and pushes through strong-mayor powers to enable his central platform plank: summary execution of any youths caught eating pizza within 100 yards of a boomers house after 11pm.

Lmao. Their pizza is pretty good too

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Wab Kinew, the fearless Ojibwe NDP premier of Manitoba, has absolutely no issue greenlighting a silica sand mining operation on the east end of Lake Winnipeg, in Treaty 5 territory. The libs in my life Just Can't Believe that the NDP loves resource development as much as every other party, no matter the identity of the person leading that party. After all, how can we Save the Planet without solar panels? If we want to Save the Planet, we will have to sacrifice a few more chunks of it on the altar of Mammon.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/canadian-premium-sand-selkirk-hollow-water-silica-mine-1.7115471

quote:

A silica sand mining project will move forward in a community east of Lake Winnipeg, led by a company that plans to create manufacturing jobs in the solar sector in the Interlake — but some opponents of the project say they're still not confident the work can be done safely.

Canadian Premium Sand was given approval to mine silica in Hollow Water First Nation and create a solar glass production facility in the city of Selkirk, the Manitoba government announced Wednesday.

"This is a hard-working community with a long and proud tradition and a blue-collar work ethic that also has an environmentally progressive leadership," Premier Wab Kinew said during a news conference in Selkirk, adding his government believes "in the power of good jobs to transform lives and to grow communities."

Kinew said the announcement is part of the NDP government's critical mineral strategy aimed at growing the low-carbon economy.

The mining and production facility are expected to bring in $2 billion in provincial taxes over a decade, or $200 million annually, according to a provincial news release.

Canadian Premium Sand has been pursuing the project for several years and received licensing approvals in 2019 and 2023, but faced delays and criticism over potential risks.

The company has indicated it plans to use silica sand extracted near Hollow Water in the production of solar glass at the Selkirk manufacturing plant, the province said.

Canadian Premium projects it will be able to make up to 800 tonnes of the glass — used in solar panels — daily at what the province says will be the only low-carbon solar patterned glass plant of its kind in North America.

Construction could bring between 600 and 700 temporary jobs, while the mining and production facility are expected to generate 30 jobs near Hollow Water and 250 in Selkirk, the province said.

Camp Morningstar is a group of several First Nations on Treaty 5 territory who have established a Land Defense camp near the proposed silica mine site. They have been pointing out for years now that previous silica sand mines in the region have been absolutely destructive for the environment and communities around them. Silica mining pumps silica fines into the air which, when ingested chronically, can cause silicosis, a sort of pulmonary fibrosis. Apparently the license application for the proposed Premium Sand mine doesn't even require respiratory PPE for workers there, the people most likely to be at risk of silicosis.

The iron sulphides separated from the desirable silica sand can, when dumped into the waterway (as they almost certainly will be), decrease the pH level of the water, thereby causing it to begin to leach toxic heavy metals out of the surrounding soil. Those heavy metals thereafter remain soluble in the water, and therefore ingestible by living things. The water can also change colour, becoming orange or red.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Blood Boils posted:

Not anymore, Murdoch and Newfie constable caught them all!!

True. Now Murdoch's Moriarty is Colin Mocherie.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
lol more outrage and condemnation for a bunch of protestors walking by a hospital than all the times anti-lockdown people impeded emergency vehicles from getting to hospitals

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Dreylad posted:

lol more outrage and condemnation for a bunch of protestors walking by a hospital than all the times anti-lockdown people impeded emergency vehicles from getting to hospitals

That's all this is right? They walked by a hospital and one guy climbed a streetlight or whatever? Lmao, wonder how many children the Israeli's were blowing up at the exact same time as this vile antisemitic act

Karach posted:

Wab Kinew, the fearless Ojibwe NDP premier of Manitoba, has absolutely no issue greenlighting a silica sand mining operation on the east end of Lake Winnipeg, in Treaty 5 territory. The libs in my life Just Can't Believe that the NDP loves resource development as much as every other party, no matter the identity of the person leading that party. After all, how can we Save the Planet without solar panels? If we want to Save the Planet, we will have to sacrifice a few more chunks of it on the altar of Mammon.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/canadian-premium-sand-selkirk-hollow-water-silica-mine-1.7115471

Camp Morningstar is a group of several First Nations on Treaty 5 territory who have established a Land Defense camp near the proposed silica mine site. They have been pointing out for years now that previous silica sand mines in the region have been absolutely destructive for the environment and communities around them. Silica mining pumps silica fines into the air which, when ingested chronically, can cause silicosis, a sort of pulmonary fibrosis. Apparently the license application for the proposed Premium Sand mine doesn't even require respiratory PPE for workers there, the people most likely to be at risk of silicosis.

The iron sulphides separated from the desirable silica sand can, when dumped into the waterway (as they almost certainly will be), decrease the pH level of the water, thereby causing it to begin to leach toxic heavy metals out of the surrounding soil. Those heavy metals thereafter remain soluble in the water, and therefore ingestible by living things. The water can also change colour, becoming orange or red.

Badass. Voting ftw, long live the orange wave. I'm going to hazard a completely uninformed guess that existing silica mines around the country could easily fulfill the need for material but are just being used for consumer goods or phones or cars or whatever. I mean they should def be closed too but seems if we just nationalised resource extraction we could easily retask it to something useful rather than opening new toxic sludge repositories

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I didnsee a Trudeau tweet that called the protest deplorable and it's really cool that our epic elected leaders use harsher language when referring to peaceful protests than they do when talking about ten thousand dead children

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

sitchensis posted:

to be fair though, discourse around traffic and car dependency has ratcheted up a lot in the past two years, much of it actually common sense. I hesitate to say it, but it does feel like the tide is beginning to turn against our car oriented culture.

Maybe. I'll agree that there's a lot more noise around pro-car development now. The various government at least feel like they have to defend these ideas instead of it just being an obvious thing to do.

DaysBefore posted:

I didnsee a Trudeau tweet that called the protest deplorable and it's really cool that our epic elected leaders use harsher language when referring to peaceful protests than they do when talking about ten thousand dead children

Trudeau is just as complicit in this genocide as Biden. They are both handing their own defeats to their opponents on a silver platter.
They've looked at the pros and cons of genociding brown people or maintaining power and decided that genocide wins here.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rob-oliphant-gaza-israel-joly-hamas-unrwa-1.7115468?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

So do you think Rob Oliphant will grow a spine and quit or is he gonna get punted for this.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

He'll be censored by parliament, fired from his deputy whatever job, pribably kicked out of the party and charged with hatespeech

Segue
May 23, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

That's all this is right? They walked by a hospital and one guy climbed a streetlight or whatever? Lmao, wonder how many children the Israeli's were blowing up at the exact same time as this vile antisemitic act

Yes, that's all that happened. Reposting the great article from the other thread as well as the most disingenuous politician take yet.

So we can stop bickering, local news source The Grind wrote a detailed account from a journalist who attended the rally.

It's very well done and highlights the importance of local media and you should toss them some money.

https://www.thegrindmag.ca/what-happened-mount-sinai-hospital-palestine-rally-passed-by/

The Grind posted:

During the Feb. 12 rally, the most visibly prominent flag waver from a height was an individual dressed up in a black Spiderman costume. I noticed that individual on several structures and buildings in the two-and-a-bit hours that I was at the rally. Looking at their Instagram stories, spiderman4palestine, and at other social media posts you could see at least eight structures this person was on. These included, in rough chronological order:

1. A raised platform at Yonge and Bloor at the start of the rally, maybe construction scaffolding, along with numerous other people
2. On top of a lamppost on Yonge St. at Charles St.
3. High on a lamppost on Yonge St. just south of Wellesley St.
4. Above the under-construction awning of Mount Sinai Hospital on University Ave, with the help of at least two other people who were on the awning
5. On top of a statue in the middle divider of University Ave., just south of Mount Sinai Hospital
6. On top of a building on Dundas St., one block east of University Ave.
7. On top of the Joey Eaton restaurant on Dundas St., just west of Yonge St., and then walking along on the overhang of the entrance to 1 Dundas St. W.
8. A traffic light post at Yonge and Dundas

At the intersection of University Ave and Gerrard St., across from Mount Sinai Hospital, a number of participants moved into the left (northbound) lane to stop traffic moving that way. The protest had stopped traffic both ways previously on Yonge St. and on College St., as protests often do.

Police moved in to stop protesters from blocking the intersection at Gerrard St., seemingly intent on allowing cars to turn right and leave University Ave. through there. There was a brief standoff and pause, and then the rally’s marshalls moved the crowd out of the intersection.

This is around the time when the 21-second video was taken of the person in the Spiderman costume climbing up the hospital entrance. The sub-section of the crowd visible in that video is hardly moving forward, which is something people have pointed to as evidence that the hospital was targeted.

However, there was no announcement made by organizers that the rally was stopping intentionally at Mount Sinai Hospital, and the crowd left the area within about 15 or 20 minutes of arriving there. This is about as long as the crowd stayed at other intersections. It was definitely a shorter stay than at the intersections where it had started and where it would end. The total duration of the rally was a bit over three and a half hours.

There is a federal law, C-3, which deems it an offence for anyone who “intentionally obstructs or interferes with another person’s lawful access to a place at which health services are provided by a health professional.” As far as I saw while I was passing the hospital, the entranceway was clear and no one was stopped from entering or exiting the building. Other than vague mentions, I found no specific evidence that people were prevented from entering or exiting the building.

Once the intersection of Gerrard and University began clearing, a few people walked south along University Ave. through the stopped or very slow-moving cars. Many drivers rolled down their windows to express support for the protesters’ cause. Others did not.

I saw one incident, which may have been the one that went viral the next day. As I saw it from around 20 metres away, there was a brief argument between someone in a car and protesters who stood near the car. One person stood in front of the car with a Palestinian flag and others stood beside it. Within a minute or two, the crowd moved away from that car without further incident. I was not right there, and did not see everything and couldn’t hear what was said.

Jews Say No To Genocide Coalition, which includes several groups of Toronto Jews who are opposed to what Israel is doing in Gaza, took to Instagram to respond to Trudeau’s tweet, writing: “This is anti-Palestinian racism. This is a distraction from genocide. Do not let our government and media stop us from having #AllEyesOnRafa.”

In response to the Friends of Simon Wiesenthal Centre thanking Trudeau for his statement on X, Independent Jewish Voices wrote in response:

“Quickly, how was the hospital ‘targeted,’ and what actual damage to Jewish individuals and communities took place? From where we’re standing, this ‘vile display’ looks pretty kosher. Antisemitism isn’t just a rhetorical cudgel you can use against people you disagree with. It’s not a specter summoned by the Palestinian flag. To combat actual antisemitism in Canada, we have to be clear about its meaning and impact. Toronto’s protest was not antisemitic.”

Meanwhile it continues to grow in rumour so you have the leader of the Ontario Liberal Party tweeting this unfounded terror

https://x.com/BonnieCrombie/status/1757492668198690917?s=20

Also I'm glad Oliphant is standing by his statements but I guess I couldn't be a politician because I would have immediately resigned ages ago at genocide enabling.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The best thing a politician can do is resign and find something useful to do with their life.

Every day that a politician does not do this speaks to their character.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

NS budget out, $47 million for public housing, $483,300,000 for highways lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

DaysBefore posted:

sure you complain but how are homeless people supposed to drive to their public housing without highways?!

check

mate

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

The best thing a politician can do is resign and find something useful to do with their life.

Every day that a politician does not do this speaks to their character.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

With the weather you are going to get next summer you won't have enough money for roads

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

the NSPC loving rules. a whole rear end party for rural small buisness owners. that budget accurately reflects their priorities

that money for public housing is probably just twice what they spend on the ferry to convince Yarmouth small buisness tyrants they are special boys

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Latest number I could find for subsidy to the ferry was $17,000,000 in 2022, which I guess tbf is because of the stupid contract the Liberals signed. I can only assume that's gone up lol. Also between tax breaks and direct subsidy pretty sure the hydrogen refinery up in Cape Breton is in the hundreds of millions

Oh and that unfinished hotel they bought to convert into transitional beds for seniors includes like $18,000,000 in consultant fees. Like holy poo poo lmao

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Segue posted:

Yes, that's all that happened. Reposting the great article from the other thread as well as the most disingenuous politician take yet.

oh my god. they were across the road!? I thought they were on the same side of the street. god dammit.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

DaysBefore posted:

Badass. Voting ftw, long live the orange wave. I'm going to hazard a completely uninformed guess that existing silica mines around the country could easily fulfill the need for material but are just being used for consumer goods or phones or cars or whatever. I mean they should def be closed too but seems if we just nationalised resource extraction we could easily retask it to something useful rather than opening new toxic sludge repositories

The orange wave is what you'll see in lake Winnipeg when these guys are done with it

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

[canada]: literal and figurative orange waves

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Fidelitious posted:

Trudeau is just as complicit in this genocide as Biden. They are both handing their own defeats to their opponents on a silver platter.
They've looked at the pros and cons of genociding brown people or maintaining power and decided that genocide wins here.

Nah, Biden is much more complicit. Canada is still just a vassal state that does what daddy tells it. We mostly exist to launder policies the us doesn't want to take the lead on, like when we lead the push to recognize Juan Guaido as president of Venezuela. We're the nice guys.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

DaysBefore posted:

600,000,000 for the project according to CBC, half of that from the province, half from the feds who announced no new road spending... yesterday.

Oh and it's a P3 project designed to exclude union work.

Edit: Sorry got mixed up, the $600,000,000 is a different project in NL announced today https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/highway-divided-nape-1.7114715

DynamicSloth has issued a correction as of 20:24 on Feb 15, 2024

Segue
May 23, 2007

Dreylad posted:

oh my god. they were across the road!? I thought they were on the same side of the street. god dammit.

They were on the same side. Sinai is in the South lanes you may be thinking of sick kids across the street. But as stated, they were just at the intersection on the way to the US Consulate which is also on the South lanes side.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

DynamicSloth posted:

600,000,000 for the project according to CBC, half of that from the province, half from the feds who announced no new road spending... yesterday.

Oh and it's a P3 project designed to exclude union work.

Lmao hell yeah

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
the only thing that would make that more :discourse: is if the Irvings got a bunch of the money

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

DaysBefore posted:

Lmao hell yeah

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Nah, Biden is much more complicit. Canada is still just a vassal state that does what daddy tells it. We mostly exist to launder policies the us doesn't want to take the lead on, like when we lead the push to recognize Juan Guaido as president of Venezuela. We're the nice guys.

wrong canada sucks as much as the usa death to canada

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Segue posted:

They were on the same side. Sinai is in the South lanes you may be thinking of sick kids across the street. But as stated, they were just at the intersection on the way to the US Consulate which is also on the South lanes side.

Ah I misread the article with the part about them blocking northbound traffic.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dreylad posted:

Ah I misread the article with the part about them blocking northbound traffic.

"As the protest began heading south along University Ave., it was only taking up the southbound lane of traffic. Cars heading northbound were still moving, some very fast, and protesters were occasionally in some lanes of the northbound side. I remember worrying that somebody could get hit by an oncoming car.

At the intersection of University Ave and Gerrard St., across from Mount Sinai Hospital, a number of participants moved into the left (northbound) lane to stop traffic moving that way. The protest had stopped traffic both ways previously on Yonge St. and on College St., as protests often do.

Police moved in to stop protesters from blocking the intersection at Gerrard St., seemingly intent on allowing cars to turn right and leave University Ave. through there. There was a brief standoff and pause, and then the rally’s marshalls moved the crowd out of the intersection."

so yeah, they were heading south which is a straight line from Queen's Park to the US Consulate on the southbound side, heading past Mount Sinai on the same side of the street.

the (some of the) protestors moving over and trying to block the northbound routes were being stupid, University is loving gigantic wide and has a huge treed island in the middle (it's the kind of street where you stop on that island as a pedestrian because the walk signal only covers you for one half at a time). the cops were being reasonable because one half of University is plenty for a march and it's an actual safety concern for people getting lost out of sight on the other half of the street.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Mulcair, now more than ever

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
praxis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

DaysBefore posted:

Latest number I could find for subsidy to the ferry was $17,000,000 in 2022, which I guess tbf is because of the stupid contract the Liberals signed. I can only assume that's gone up lol. Also between tax breaks and direct subsidy pretty sure the hydrogen refinery up in Cape Breton is in the hundreds of millions

Oh and that unfinished hotel they bought to convert into transitional beds for seniors includes like $18,000,000 in consultant fees. Like holy poo poo lmao

I hate this stupid loving province so much.