Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I'm really not liking that the mic setting isn't push to talk by default, love to hear someone hotmicing constantly.
Page 1 snipe wooo.
Twitch drop set....

I kinda dig it, looks like something out of Star Wars.

DreadUnknown fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DreadUnknown posted:

I'm really not liking that the mic setting isn't push to talk by default, love to hear someone hotmicing constantly.

Yeah this compelled me to change the voice option to "disabled" so everyone is just muted at default and I don't regret it one bit. If they want to communicate with me they can do it in pings or in text chat. If I'm playing with friends I want to coordinate with we're on Discord anyway.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Just bought the game. Is there any poo poo I have to do solo first or can I immediately hop in to playing with my homies?

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Something an Automaton might ask...

You have to play the world's shortest, most encouraging tutorial.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 15, 2024

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

jokes posted:

I'd be very happy if a hacker would just cheat in a couple thousand paid currency for me so I can buy that Big Fat Boy heavy armor

It's pretty quick and easy to accrue all the resources in the game, including the premium resources, through normal play. Do you know what you're complaining about or are you just assuming?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

It's pretty quick and easy to accrue all the resources in the game, including the premium resources, through normal play. Do you know what you're complaining about or are you just assuming?

I believe that's a joke. It matches known patterns of humor documented in our archives on human communication.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Just bought the game. Is there any poo poo I have to do solo first or can I immediately hop in to playing with my homies?

There's like a 3 minute tutorial that's very useful then you're free to join whoever you want.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I currently have about 300 premium currency, and I just bought a chest armor for like 250 I'd like to just buy everything all of the time and accrue a bunch of fun and cool armors

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

*taps the sign*

*the sign says do not tie stats to appearance*

*developer ignores the sign again*

Little Ampton
Mar 19, 2010
I couldn't get past the first obstacle in the tutorial, and after comparing footage with a friend it turned out this barbed wire spawned too low for me to go under, even going prone didn't work lol

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

explosivo posted:

There's like a 3 minute tutorial that's very useful then you're free to join whoever you want.

After the tutorial you also have to start at least one mission on your own destroyer and finish it. Friends can join you if you want, but it's a trivial mission. Otherwise a lot of the advancement parts of the game are locked out.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I died in the tutorial when you have to dive under the turret fire, cos I was holding sprint and so immediately stood up and got cut in half :toot:

Also repeating what's already been said, the 120 & 380 barrages are pretty poo poo due to their spread, but goddamn they are cool if you get 2 or 3 squaddies dropping them on the same spot.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, console peeps are usually going to have open mic through their controller with poo poo blasting through their speakers. I just mute people with open mics. I suppose I could turn cross-play off.

Not trying to start console vs PC beef but I've had crossplay off this whole time and my pug experience is mostly good. Maybe I'm just lucky. Today though I did have two Suicide Missions where people died a LOT. Before today I had never run out of reinforcments, though I've come close. We still completed the missions but due to the amount of deaths I learned that after you run out of reinforcements you get an additional reinforcement once every two minutes, and if you complete the main objective but fail to extract the mission is successful anyway.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Phenotype posted:

What weapons do you bring to terminator planet? I played a couple rounds there yesterday and it felt like half the enemies had my LMG rounds bouncing off their armor. How do you deal with, like, the AT-STs if they're coming right for you? I tried shooting them in the legs but that bounced off too.

Oh, and also, how do you farm samples at any reasonable rate? I've got like 5 hours playtime and I haven't gotten enough to buy a single upgrade.

Diligence + railgun + EM shield pack. Autocannon if you're lower level, and grenade launcher if you're lower than that. Diligence to the red cockpit areas takes out most med/light armor mechs well enough, GL between the legs takes out striders. If you're m+kb I'd suggest using the uh... smart first person aiming or whatever? hold rmb aims normally and click rmb puts you in 1st person ads. One benefit of ADS is that the weapon sway is way, way easier to deal with since you're looking directly at whatever the gun is pointed at

edit: for samples it's usually pretty easy to get like 10-15 commons and 5-10 rares from a level 4 if you run through the map pretty well. If you go up in difficulty and can still clear well you'll get more.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The 120mm objective is probably the first I'm flat out not going to bother with. Its way more of a danger to your group than it is to the enemy.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

1stGear posted:

The 120mm objective is probably the first I'm flat out not going to bother with. Its way more of a danger to your group than it is to the enemy.

Just do a level 4 bug mission with a full group and throw it on some breaches; it really wasnt that hard.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

1stGear posted:

Don't discount the fun factor of everything everywhere exploding. 120s do that job very well.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
120mm radius is a bit bigger than you'd expect but tbh I'd just do a couple of missions and get your free medals, it's not that hard if you just drop them on nests.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I accidentally TKed a teammate once with my grenade launcher and he spent the rest of the match complaining about it. Buddy I think you may not enjoy this game.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
I averaged like 15 120mm kills per dive I think, so not too bad of a grind.

Also sweet democracy those robot extraction missions :stare:

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Just got this yesterday. Those robots can HAVE my freedom, holy poo poo

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Doc Walrus posted:

Just got this yesterday. Those robots can HAVE my freedom, holy poo poo

You picked a very interesting time to do robot missions lol. There's a sector wide event happening with robots right now. You can do the robot worlds that are further away from Super Earth if you want a more normal robot experience.

Dreylad posted:

I accidentally TKed a teammate once with my grenade launcher and he spent the rest of the match complaining about it. Buddy I think you may not enjoy this game.

The funniest TK i've done was joining a group of 3 people. I see them running, and I see motion behind one of them. So I hit the motion with my pod. Get up, and everyone's dying giggling and i'm looking all around trying to find the bugs.

Turns out my screen was a little glitched because the friendly marker on one of them was on the edge of the screen, and the motion I saw was that helldiver. Who I squicked very well. There were no bugs for miles!

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 15, 2024

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

explosivo posted:

Boy that sure doesn't sound like my experience at all, I tried light armor once and got torn apart in a couple bites but the heavy poo poo lets me tank some hits while I fend off my attackers or giving me time to stim up. I didn't find the speed boost of the light armor more useful than the ability to take hits without dying right away with the heavy armor.

i feel like i notice hits a lot more in light armor vs bots than I do in medium but that might jsut be placebo. That said shield pack takes care of like 80% of the stray rounds so light armor + shield pack might be worth a try. Light armor vs bugs is great tho; esp cause most of their attacks are melee. Faster run + more stamina means it's a lot, lot easier to dodge poo poo and most of the stuff that gets you (being in the wrong place for a charger stomp, spewer spits) probably would have gotten you in medium armor anyways.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Also I've found that heavy armour absolutely works. I can face tank a robot RPG in heavy which is absolutely not the case in light. Light mobility is still probably much more convenient than heavy damage resist, but heavy does do something.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I've swapped to light and so far it feels exactly the same as far as taking damage goes. But I do run a bit faster. I might just stick with light even after they fix it.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

redreader posted:

On that note, also don't drop right next to a red area at the start of a mission if it's over level 4. I don't like starting in a running firefight when I'm trying to get my supply pack and grenade launcher, I can't kill them fast enough and there will be dropships/bug tunnels if we don't prepare first.

honestly anything above level 4 you should just be prepared to drop directly into a massive running firefight because it'll happen like 80% of the time no matter where you drop.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Moron rear end in a top hat level 30 guy runs into my bombing run, immediately kicks me even though we were just waiting for extraction. What a loving jerk

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I like to do dumb things so it's going to be heavy for me. I also think being a big chonky diver is cool.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

JBP posted:

I like to do dumb things so it's going to be heavy for me. I also think being a big chonky diver is cool.

Yeah I tried to make light armor work but I found even with the added mobility I was getting nipped by bugs and was way more likely to die due to getting overrun and not being able to stim in time. Heavy armor does work and lets me take a few hits while stimming or getting that reload in while getting bitten but I guess I'm only around Challenging right now so I'm sure that changes later. The throw distance upgrade on the one heavy armor set is great too.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Frog Act posted:

Moron rear end in a top hat level 30 guy runs into my bombing run, immediately kicks me even though we were just waiting for extraction. What a loving jerk

Today's just not your day

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

CainFortea posted:

If you kick people who die off on their own that's one thing. Just doing it instantly means you're just being stupid.

Auto cannon also destroys this from any distance you can see it. You shoot the big round TV screen on the thing. Then it falls and blows up the tower.

blahz posted:

I'll have to give that a try! Definitely was surprised this one building was impervious to most things compared to the other buildings around it.

So I gave this a try and I think this is the different sub-mission. I believe you're thinking of the terminate broadcast one.

This is the mission with the tough building. The destroy rogue research station. For some reason the one building you need to destroy seems to be affected by the default orbital strike or a hellbomb. Maybe my 500kg was misplaced, but it didn't seem to do anything. If there's a way to destroy this with the autocannon or others, that would be amazing for long range. -

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Pubbies not even once

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Frog Act posted:

lol at them grinding to level 30 already and being this salty about a random death thats their own fault.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I rarely get full credit for the suitcase+transforner+radar mission. The end stats usually say one or more objectives weren't done, I think something's wrong with it

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

I feel like this is the one game where i am never going to apologize for a TK, regardless of circumstances. There could be zero enemies on the map and if i died to friendly fire i would just be like " Eh, i probably deserved it"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

blahz posted:

So I gave this a try and I think this is the different sub-mission. I believe you're thinking of the terminate broadcast one.

Yea, I thought you were talking about the broadcast mission. That one needs a bigger boom.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yeah it’s just the way of things. Today on a run I accidentally caught a guy in an Eagle strike, called him back in, and was killed by his pod. This is managed democracy in action.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

bandaid.friend posted:

I rarely get full credit for the suitcase+transforner+radar mission. The end stats usually say one or more objectives weren't done, I think something's wrong with it

For those three-stage main missions like 'fix two donglehickies then launch the icbm' - It'll say you failed to do one of the objectives, but then it'll give you the correct rewards anyway at the very end.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

I feel like this is the one game where i am never going to apologize for a TK, regardless of circumstances. There could be zero enemies on the map and if i died to friendly fire i would just be like " Eh, i probably deserved it"

It definitely helps that they've made the game as frictionless as possible when it comes to bringing back dead teammates. Reinforce is easy to throw out and has a lot of charges before it becomes a problem and as long as you're making it on the ship at the end of the mission you get credit for everyone surviving. It's a nice change of pace from games where players get punished for players dying by reducing rewards or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

DreadUnknown posted:

Page 1 snipe wooo.
Twitch drop set....

I kinda dig it, looks like something out of Star Wars.

I had a guy who was blowing his nose constantly while eating chips.