Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Levitate posted:

Did people really and truly believe that if they elected Biden in the primary and elected him in the general that he'd serve 1 term and then step down because "he's too old"? Or were they just not thinking that hard about it?

Because I remember age being a thing in the 2020 election and vague hand waiving over him only serving 1 term but anyone who thought that was really going to be a thing seems like they were being incredibly naive.

Yes I think it was widely assumed he wouldn't run again because no one wants an 85 year old president and no wealthy 85 year old should want a highly stressful job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Shammypants posted:

Biden is now above 40% favorability, and given the trajectory of multiple polls this week, is headed to parity with Trump at about 43-44% by the end of the month.

Source? I find this hard to believe especially after Hur's hit job. (Have any polls been conducted since then?)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

-Dethstryk- posted:

To be fair, you had articles like this from 2019 going around that Biden was apparently discussing it with aides. For myself, I know this is why I thought it was a real possibility, but I also didn't particularly one way or another if he'd run in 2024 or not at the time.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/12/11/biden-single-term-082129

Of course, he directly responded to that article, but why trust the man himself and several named campaign staff when we have anonymous staffers on the record working through their personal anxieties

quote:

Former Vice President Joe Biden denied discussing with his campaign advisers whether he would only seek one term in office if elected president-- claims that were first published by POLITICO Wednesday.

The report cited anonymous advisers to Biden who said there have been internal conversations about recent signals from the 77-year-old former vice president would only seek one term if elected in 2020.

“No, I never have,” Biden said when asked by a reporter on Wednesday if those discussions were taking place. “I don’t have any plans on one term.”

A senior adviser for Biden's campaign has also pushed back on the report, calling it “just not true.”

“Lots of chatter out there on this so just want to be crystal clear: this is not a conversation our campaign is having and not something VP Biden is thinking about,” Kate Bedingfield, Biden’s deputy campaign manager tweeted.

“Not sure what orbit of advisers reporters talk to, but count me with @KBeds, this is not a conversation we are having among people who actually are running the campaign. Also - hope everyone is seeing all the endorsements coming out for @JoeBiden,” Biden’s Campaign Manager, Greg Shultz tweeted.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

-Dethstryk- posted:

To be fair, you had articles like this from 2019 going around that Biden was apparently discussing it with aides. For myself, I know this is why I thought it was a real possibility, but I also didn't particularly one way or another if he'd run in 2024 or not at the time.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/12/11/biden-single-term-082129

Based on the current productivity and effectiveness of the WH I honestly don't see an issue. If Biden was going around acting like the senile lunatic that Trump is I'd feel differently. Instead it's mostly him and his entire team just doing the job. If there are secretly people behind the scenes quietly keeping him on track and things are still functional, well sad as it sounds I'll take that over the alternatives.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
There is definitely a subset of journalists, pundits and talking heads who supported Warren or Harris or one of the other Democratic presidential candidates in 2020 who were very gung ho about calling Biden and Sanders feeble in various ways during that primary who suddenly shut up about the whole thing once Biden became the nominee and president. It's hard not to be cynical about the whole thing really.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/DylanByers/status/1758160387206443456

Maybe I have dementia because the entire press is pretending like they haven't been on Biden's age since 2020.

So, do the press have the same concerns about coverage of Trump's agility and mental acuity, or is this one of those "we only hold Democrats to this standard" kind of deals?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Inre the Kansas City shooting, it seems to be a miracle more people weren't killed. According to witness accounts on CNN, it started from an altercation but the shooter just started spinning and shooting in a circle. Looks like there were 19 separate gunshot victims with 9 of those being kids (and then of course more non-gunshot injuries). That is crazy.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
There was, at the time, a general vibe that calling out ages was a Bad Thing.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/juli-n-castro-accused-joe-biden-forgetting-did-he-go-n1054061

I remember this instance very specifically because Castro got blasted by everyone for suggesting Biden forgot something and thus implying he's too old.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Reporting that Trump said a bunch of stupid nonsense had no effect on his 2016 or 2020 candidacies and may actually have helped him since people tended to read what they wanted to into his brain droppings (see the whole "Donald the Dove" argument we just got over).

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

Reporting that Trump said a bunch of stupid nonsense had no effect on his 2016 or 2020 candidacies and may actually have helped him since people tended to read what they wanted to into his brain droppings (see the whole "Donald the Dove" argument we just got over).

That sounds more like an excuse, and in any case the media shouldn't be worrying about what might help or hurt Trump.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

DaveWoo posted:

So, do the press have the same concerns about coverage of Trump's agility and mental acuity, or is this one of those "we only hold Democrats to this standard" kind of deals?

What reason would the White House press corps, which the article is about, have for covering the former president? You read the article, correct?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DaveWoo posted:

Let's check the pages of the paper of record

https://twitter.com/SER1897/status/1756441569190989897

I see.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

zoux posted:

Let's check the pages of the paper of record

https://twitter.com/SER1897/status/1756441569190989897

I see.

I think that is a bit tongue in cheek and is actually meant to make fun of Trump.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

mawarannahr posted:

What reason would the White House press corps, which the article is about, have for covering the former president? You read the article, correct?

Replace “White House press corps” with “the press corps covering Trump”, then.

mawarannahr posted:

I think that is a bit tongue in cheek and is actually meant to make fun of Trump.

Oh come on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

https://twitter.com/DougJBalloon/status/1756453489163530335

Haha those jokesters in the press crack me up

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

Sorry, but unfortunately it's 100% serious:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/10/us/politics/biden-trump-aging.html

quote:

Why the Age Issue Is Hurting Biden So Much More Than Trump
Both Donald J. Trump and President Biden are over 75. But voters are much less likely to worry that Mr. Trump is too old to serve.

By Rebecca Davis O’Brien

Donald J. Trump has praised Hungary’s prime minister, Viktor Orban, for his leadership of Turkey, and confused Nikki Haley with Nancy Pelosi. President Biden has named dead former European leaders when describing his contemporary peers, and referred to Egypt as Mexico.

The episodes might have raised parallel concerns about age and mental acuity. Instead, while Mr. Biden, 81, has been increasingly dogged by doubts and concerns about his advancing years from voters, Mr. Trump, who is 77, has not felt the same political blowback.

The response suggests profound differences not only between the two men, but in how they are perceived by the American public, and in what their supporters expect of them — a divide that could play a major role in the coming presidential election.

In a New York Times/Siena College poll of six battleground states, an overwhelming majority of voters said they had serious concerns about Mr. Biden’s age, with 70 percent saying he is too old to be president. Fewer than half of voters have expressed similar misgivings about Mr. Trump.

“Even though we know both candidates are three and a half years apart, one side seems to have it sticking a little more, and that’s going to be a concern,” said Representative Mark Pocan, Democrat of Wisconsin.

Some of it comes down to basic physical differences.

Mr. Biden’s voice has grown softer and raspier, his hair thinner and whiter. He is tall and trim but moves more tentatively than he did as a candidate in 2019 and 2020, often holding his upper body stiff, adding to an impression of frailty. And he has had spills in the public eye: falling off a bicycle, tripping over a sandbag.

Mr. Trump, by contrast, does not appear to be suffering the effects of time in such visible ways. Mr. Trump often dyes his hair and appears unnaturally tan. He is heavyset and tall, and he uses his physicality to project strength in front of crowds. When he takes the stage at rallies, he basks in adulation for several minutes, dancing to an opening song, and then holds forth in speeches replete with macho rhetoric and bombast that typically last well over an hour, a display of stamina.

“It is the perception of how you communicate,” said Carol Kinsey Goman, a speaker and coach on leadership presence. “When Trump makes those kinds of faux pas, he just brushes it off, and people don’t say, ‘Oh, he’s aging.’ He makes at least as many mistakes as Joe Biden, but because he does it with this bravado, it doesn’t seem like senility. It seems like passion.”

With Mr. Biden, Ms. Goman said, “it looks like weakness.”

It is difficult to go beyond public perception to compare the physical health of the two men. Democrats and some Republicans have said Mr. Biden remains sharp in private conversations. Mr. Biden and Mr. Trump have each released limited medical information. Nearly a year ago, the White House released a letter from Mr. Biden’s longtime doctor describing him as a “healthy, vigorous 80-year-old male” after a physical examination. The White House has not made his doctors available to reporters. In November, Mr. Trump released a vague health report describing his condition as “excellent.”

Democrats and Mr. Biden’s supporters say the two men are held to different standards.

This week, the president was forced to defend his mental acuity publicly after a special counsel’s report said there was evidence that Mr. Biden may have willfully retained classified documents. The office would not recommend charges, the report said, in part because Mr. Biden would most likely appear to a jury “as a sympathetic, well-meaning elderly man with a poor memory.” It said he had difficulty remembering the date that his son Beau died.

When Mr. Biden gathered reporters to dispute aspects of the report and angrily denounce its assertions about his memory and mental state as out of bounds, he also took questions about the Middle East — and mixed up Egypt and Mexico.

Mr. Trump has also faced questions about his health and fitness for office. He is prone to long, incoherent remarks and slip-ups. He has suggested that he defeated Barack Obama, not Hillary Clinton, in the 2016 presidential election, and has warned that the country is on the verge of World War II. In office, he was seen walking haltingly down a ramp and struggling to hold a water glass.

While Mr. Biden has acknowledged that voters’ concerns about his age are reasonable, Mr. Trump has responded to these episodes with typical hyperbole. In 2015, he released a hastily written doctor’s note declaring that if elected, he would be “the healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency.” In office, amid news reports of his erratic behavior, Mr. Trump asserted that he was actually a “very stable genius.”

Today, he regularly mocks Mr. Biden for his age, while boasting about acing a test that detects cognitive decline.

Mr. Trump’s responses point to a basic asymmetry of expectations that appears to be working in his favor: His impulsiveness and willingness to go off-script in ways that can be messy only adds to his image as an unrehearsed, unvarnished chaos agent, a key source of his popularity with Republicans.

(When Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida, Mr. Trump’s defeated rival for the Republican nomination, tried to convince voters that Mr. Trump had “lost the zip on his fastball,” it didn’t stick.)

Verbal flubs by Mr. Biden, by contrast, undermine the image of experience, competence and professionalism that got him elected, and that even his supporters quietly fear may be slipping away.

“Donald Trump is more of an entertainer than a politician in many ways,” Mr. Pocan said. “And I think there’s just a different set of expectations and that’s why he gets away with it.”

Ms. Goman, the leadership coach — who said she supports Mr. Biden — also suggested that Mr. Trump’s experience as a reality television star might have influenced how he performs and is perceived in public.

“Trump is big,” Ms. Goman said. “He simply takes over. He has that kind of full-charge-ahead persona that does correlate with being younger, healthier, more active. Biden doesn’t. He is a different kind of person. And, unfortunately, in this situation, it doesn’t work out well.”

Mr. Biden has spent his life in government, but he was never a gifted public speaker. He had a significant stutter during his childhood. And he has always been vulnerable to verbal slips and malapropisms. His unscripted moments have long made his backers nervous, even before age came into the picture.

Henry Barbour, a Republican strategist based in Mississippi, said he thought Americans were simply responding to what they saw and heard.

“Donald Trump is no young man, but he does seem to be, for the most part, on top of his game,” he said. “Is he what he was five or 10 years ago? I’m sure he’s not. Anybody who is 78 years old would tell you that.”

But it is different with Mr. Biden, Mr. Barbour said. “I don’t think you can compare the two,” he said. “Clearly, the American people are uncomfortable with Joe Biden continuing as president just because of what is happening before their very eyes.”

Mr. Barbour has backed Ms. Haley, Mr. Trump’s last Republican challenger, but he is prepared for Mr. Trump to be the nominee and face off against Mr. Biden. “It’s painful for the American people that these are their two choices,” he said.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

DaveWoo posted:

Oh come on.

It is the New York Times, isn't it? I don't think they're that well known for lauding Donald Trump. For the first 100 days, at least, their coverage was overwhelmingly negative, according to a 2017 report from Harvard Kennedy School’s Shorenstein Center on Media, Politics and Public Policy:

It could be that coverage shifted later. Do you know of any newer studies covering the latter part of his administration that show the New York Times changed its tone?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Biden is old and that's a fact, but it's also a fact that Trump is also old; but the media & pundit sphere seems invested due to the perverse incentives they operate under and the polarization of America in only covering with breathless and reckless abandon only Biden in order to perpetuate the narrative of a horse race. Despite Biden's poor polling its vastly more likely than not he still wins against Trump; but covering this honestly would further put their thumbs on that scale and not generate clicks or revenues or gain clout.

It seems entirely too possible that they would be happy to see a Trump win, as covering Trump is typically more "exciting" than Biden, who has been boringly competent and free of real substantiative scandal. Trump's scandals are real with real consequences while Biden's have basically all have been fabricated, but covering them with equal weight keeps the lights on.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

It sounds like the article is attributing the physical difference to cosmetics. I don't know why you didn't bold this part, too:

quote:

Mr. Trump has also faced questions about his health and fitness for office. He is prone to long, incoherent remarks and slip-ups. He has suggested that he defeated Barack Obama, not Hillary Clinton, in the 2016 presidential election, and has warned that the country is on the verge of World War II. In office, he was seen walking haltingly down a ramp and struggling to hold a water glass.
If someone wrote an article pointing this out about you while calling you fat and done up with makeup and hair dye, would you find it laudatory?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

It is the New York Times, isn't it? I don't think they're that well known for lauding Donald Trump. For the first 100 days, at least, their coverage was overwhelmingly negative, according to a 2017 report from Harvard Kennedy School’s Shorenstein Center on Media, Politics and Public Policy:

It could be that coverage shifted later. Do you know of any newer studies covering the latter part of his administration that show the New York Times changed its tone?

Everyone was negative after he was elected. But just like 2016, this is the election year, when they were all much more positive to enforce the horse race

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Lemming posted:

Everyone was negative after he was elected. But just like 2016, this is the election year, when they were all much more positive to enforce the horse race

The coverage encompassed in the chart is from 2017, which was not an election year.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Bidens team expertly played both sides of the "one-term President" gambit. He never endorsed the concept outright, but as the links above show it was a running theme prior to his announcement, and then while he was running there were frequent articles about Biden being a "bridge to the future" of the "next generation of leaders". Honestly they threaded the needle there amazingly well

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

The coverage encompassed in the chart is from 2017, which was not an election year.

That's why I said everyone was negative after he was elected. It's not a good comparison to today. A better comparison would be if it was 2016, which was an election year. I'm saying I think it would show they downplayed the trump criticisms like they're doing now

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Lemming posted:

That's why I said everyone was negative after he was elected. It's not a good comparison to today. A better comparison would be if it was 2016, which was an election year. I'm saying I think it would show they downplayed the trump criticisms like they're doing now

Ah, got it, thanks.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Trump's age is, like, #8 on the list of reasons he shouldn't be president. With Biden it's the only thing they can really hit him on because he's kind of boring otherwise.

They tried the Biden Crime Family stuff but other than his son being an idiot there just wasn't much there.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Push El Burrito posted:

Trump's age is, like, #8 on the list of reasons he shouldn't be president. With Biden it's the only thing they can really hit him on because he's kind of boring otherwise.

They tried the Biden Crime Family stuff but other than his son being an idiot there just wasn't much there.

Nothing there but a sick metal song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UJLtHqPA1E

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Push El Burrito posted:

I dunno, it was very impressive how quickly the Biden crime family completely destroyed the Clinton crime family and retroactively became responsible for every bad thing that's ever happened. That takes gumption

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

oh man i forgot about the water, that was a fun few days

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

It sounds like the article is attributing the physical difference to cosmetics. I don't know why you didn't bold this part, too:

If someone wrote an article pointing this out about you while calling you fat and done up with makeup and hair dye, would you find it laudatory?

The article is neither laudatory nor tongue-in-cheek. It's claiming that Trump looks physically strong and energetic while using makeup and dye to hide signs of age, but still makes mistakes mentally. This is because the article is neither a sloppy blowjob nor a hit piece - it's trying to explore why he might not be perceived as having the same age problems as Biden despite the fact that he probably does.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
The New York Times view on calling balls and strikes is to make sure there is an equal number of them, not to present them accurately.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

The article is neither laudatory nor tongue-in-cheek. It's claiming that Trump looks physically strong and energetic while using makeup and dye to hide signs of age, but still makes mistakes mentally. This is because the article is neither a sloppy blowjob nor a hit piece - it's trying to explore why he might not be perceived as having the same age problems as Biden despite the fact that he probably does.

Though I'm pretty sure most of the people thinking that haven't really seen many relatively recent Trump rallies and are mentally filling in stuff from 2016 when that was all over the air or right-wing meme gifs of happy dancing or something since in more recent appearances the guy much more looks and acts his age.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The recordings of the interview will be the most important part. If he was genuinely fumbling and dazed for most of those questions, then you'll be able to tell.

A transcript isn't as useful for making those distinctions during a deposition because any good lawyer is going to tell you to say "I don't recall" or "I have no memory of that" to any questions asking for too much specificity (see the many infamous deposition tapes where someone says they don't recall hundreds of times and the headlines) to avoid potential perjury or contradictions.

There's not much you can definitively say one way or the other from the outside with such limited public information.

Interestingly, Biden's advisors are apparently gearing up for a clash over the release of the transcripts and recordings and there's apparently internal disagreement over whether they want them released at all:

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1758178150297587766?t=zmC96n1Da_vb-BYBX-w3Ow&s=19

It seems to me that if the recordings definitely dispute what Hur is claiming happened and during the interviews and support Biden's version, the Biden administration would be calling for them to be released. This would be an excellent opportunity to show how sharp and focused he is.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

B B posted:

Interestingly, Biden's advisors are apparently gearing up for a clash over the release of the transcripts and recordings and there's apparently internal disagreement over whether they want them released at all:

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1758178150297587766?t=zmC96n1Da_vb-BYBX-w3Ow&s=19

It seems to me that if the recordings definitely dispute what Hur is claiming happened and during the interviews and support Biden's version, the Biden administration would be calling for them to be released. This would be an excellent opportunity to show how sharp and focused he is.

It's just five hours of clips his opposition can edit together to make him look as bad as possible, there's no way anyone on the fence is gonna listen to 5 hours of this just to verify that he's sharp, and the media is just gonna both sides it. There's really no advantage to having it released other than possibly disproving some of the really lovely stuff like the forgetting Beau's death.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1758240350559240321

How prominent was this guy in the Hunter Biden BS, major source or minor player?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

B B posted:

I think giving people 5 hours of unedited audio recordings of yourself in a semi-private discussion would be a bad idea regardless of how eloquent you are.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
in other US news.

quote:

Ron DeSantis's culture war book banning statute has resulted in chaos, confusion and anger as Florida has banned the highest number of books in the country from schools and public libraries. Florida teachers and libraries face felony charges and up to 5 years in prison for carrying unauthorized books.

One source of confusion and frustration has been that right-wing activists with no children in the public school system are making mass complaints about books in certain libraries and schools. This was something Democrats complained about at the time - that the statute is incredibly vague, making it impossible to know how any particular book violates it, and that anyone, anywhere, anytime, can complain about a laundry list of books, sending school systems into panic mode.

Now, upon his return to Florida after his disastrous presidential campaign, Ron DeSantis has decided to walk back his policy under a firestorm of criticism about the law. This morning, he actually expressed outrage at his own supporters and the very law he championed:

"With objecting - if you go to a school board meeting objecting. If you have a kid in school, okay. But if you're somebody who doesn't have a kid in school and you're gonna object to 100 books? No, I don't think that's appropriate. So I think the legislature is interested in limiting what the number of challenges you can do, and maybe making it be contingent on whether you actually have kids in school or not. We just want to make sure we're not trying to incentivize frivolous objections or any type of games being played."

Now, Ron DeSantis wants to walk it all back when Florida is facing record teacher shortages, complaints from parents and administrators, and as he realizes that his book bans have made him toxic to the rest of America. He is fooling nobody. We know who he is and what he is all about and will never forget what he put the state of Florida through just for his own selfish ambition.
https://twitter.com/CarlosGSmith/st...agenumber%3D761

I doubt he will change much. sure part of this is "oh poo poo, stuff i like is getting banned/etc" but i think he is hoping to throw some chuds and protest claims under the bus so he can have some cover when lawsuits happen. he can't turn the faucet off at this point anyway. its out of his hands to a degree. either way, its looks bad for him and i am glad his career is more hosed.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Presumably if his candidacy were still alive he would be insisting it was the right call all the way up to election day

Here's hoping the rest of Florida eats him alive for sacrificing them on the altar of a doomed campaign

Caros
May 14, 2008

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1758240350559240321

How prominent was this guy in the Hunter Biden BS, major source or minor player?

Last summer Grassley was touting the '1023' fbi confidential human source tip from 2020 where the source claimed that Joe Biden was paid through Burisma. It was a very big deal in right wing circles.

Fairly major player Imho.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

haveblue posted:

Presumably if his candidacy were still alive he would be insisting it was the right call all the way up to election day

Here's hoping the rest of Florida eats him alive for sacrificing them on the altar of a doomed campaign

i mean he is termed out now. i think he is trying to salvage whats left and keep vaguely quiet because he hosed with the money and now the state is brain draining out.

Papercut posted:

It's just five hours of clips his opposition can edit together to make him look as bad as possible, there's no way anyone on the fence is gonna listen to 5 hours of this just to verify that he's sharp, and the media is just gonna both sides it. There's really no advantage to having it released other than possibly disproving some of the really lovely stuff like the forgetting Beau's death.

personally, i am not against them releasing it, but it would be this. plus their probably is classified info in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

B B posted:

With all the clarity and finality of a long-form birth certificate, I'm sure.