Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

otter posted:

So I typically buy micro SD cards in like a 5 pack for $25 or so (64 gb).
Has anyone seen a better deal for smaller cards? I figure I only really need like 16 or 32 gb for all the gameboy, gba, DS games, etc for a few different devices. I don't think I'd ever fill a 64 in those cases. I'd buy a them in a 10 pack if I could get them for $2 each, you know?

Right now I see a 5 pack of PNY 16GB micro SD cards for 15 bucks:

https://www.amazon.com/PNY-Performance-microSD-Memory-P-SDU16G4X5-MP/dp/B083VMR3PL/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Yeah, I was able to dig up some that were like a 4gb for 2.75 each basically but it feels like splitting hairs over 25c each for being 4x the size.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
You can double the size for $6 more.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Yeah but I’ll never use them to nearly that capacity.
Ideally I’d be able to find a a lot deal like “here’s 20 2 gb cards for $10” or something.
I ended up getting the 16x5 pack.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm trying to set up PICO8 on my Retroid Pocket 3+ and I'm having difficulty.

So far I can get it to launch the game and not just view it as a png file but RetroArch seemingly crashes back to Daijisho after a few seconds.

Do I need to use FAKE-08?

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

JazzFlight posted:

Why is it so glossy on the front? That's gonna get smudged up constantly.

You pay extra for that.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I'm trying to set up PICO8 on my Retroid Pocket 3+ and I'm having difficulty.

So far I can get it to launch the game and not just view it as a png file but RetroArch seemingly crashes back to Daijisho after a few seconds.

Do I need to use FAKE-08?

Did you buy the runtime environment? You need to download the latest version from it for that platform.

I never tried setting up PICO8 on the RP3+/Flip though, that screen isn't a good fit for it.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Did you buy the runtime environment? You need to download the latest version from it for that platform.

That's only for Linux-based handhelds; there's no runtime for Android (unfortunately) so the only option is to emulate it.

I've found Fake-08 to be more compatible than Retro8, though last time I set it up on my Odin it was a bit fiddly as you had to download and install the RA core manually. Need to refresh my memory myself to set it up on my new Odin2..

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Saoshyant posted:

I never tried setting up PICO8 on the RP3+/Flip though, that screen isn't a good fit for it.

I didn't pay for the runtime binaries, no.

Getting it working on Onion OS on my MM+ took all of five minutes work, though.

Just one more of those "Android handhelds are annoying to configure" items to add to the pile.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

RIP my Polymega. 01/26/2024 - 02/09/2024.
Black screen of death. So pissed.
It lived for exactly 2 weeks. I just can't even right now.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
RIP

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I can't believe the Polymega was a bad product.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

otter posted:

that's honestly outrageous and you should be pissed. what a scam

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I don't know what to say other than "god speed". This thing sounds like utter madness when you can just use ROMs on literally any other device.

It's a bummer that the thing literally stopped working, though. What a scam.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

otter posted:

That's BS. Sounded like you had spent a lot of time getting all your poo poo loaded onto the thing.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

That's BS. Sounded like you had spent a lot of time getting all your poo poo loaded onto the thing.

I spent several work days burning cds 2 at a time and loading them onto it.
My guess is the internal ssd in it was busted. The whole time I had issues with it freezing up, and then last night I decided to try taking out the nvme drive. I transferred some games to the internal storage and it only transferred some of it, and then told me 0’bytes available. Now it won’t boot.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Polymega was but a fleeting dream rip

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

e: I hated this

coconono fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 12, 2024

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

The 7th Guest posted:

that's honestly outrageous and you should be pissed. what a scam

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That’s pretty long for a thread title

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Close the thread

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Polymega: It did not mean life

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Hey folks. I really want the purple RGB30. I’m willing to trade it for the Retroid Pocket 2+. I know the price isn’t exactly close to the other but I need a 4:3 device and it needs to be purple.

I’m down to trade plus whatever extra you wanna throw in… or if you have any pinball video games we can discuss.

Otherwise I guess I’ll throw it on SAmart.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I won't lie, I lol'd

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
AliExpress question - if I see a Retroid Pocket Pro 4 on sale for half price, is it legit or will I get ripped off if I order one?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Almost certainly getting ripped off, I don't think Retroid sell their stuff on Ali officially.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I'm really enjoying the Pocket Pro 4 so far. Our daughter is interested in the games I've been playing, does anyone have a recommended dock? I'd like to toss it up on the TV, as she has a tendency to shove her head in the way while I'm playing. I was thinking a 3rd party Switch dock since it has USBC on the bottom.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

calandryll posted:

I'm really enjoying the Pocket Pro 4 so far. Our daughter is interested in the games I've been playing, does anyone have a recommended dock? I'd like to toss it up on the TV, as she has a tendency to shove her head in the way while I'm playing. I was thinking a 3rd party Switch dock since it has USBC on the bottom.

A lot of people are going for Skull & Co's Jumpgate dock. If you have a grip on your Pocket 4 Pro it won't fit but it comes with a USB-C extension cable that works just fine. Or removing the grip to slide it into the proper dock.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Small Strange Bird posted:

AliExpress question - if I see a Retroid Pocket Pro 4 on sale for half price, is it legit or will I get ripped off if I order one?

I got a Retroid Pocket 2 S from Ali for about 20% off by stacking coupons. It shipped no problem, and even the return went without incident. But that was a more realistic discount, and from a seller with a high rating, and some kind of Ali gold badge/guarantee.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Small Strange Bird posted:

This probably belongs in the aliexpess thread.

Ali sells, if you sort by order number not sort by price, are reliable 90% of the time. But they still sell some very obvious fake stuff. For example insanely cheap usb drives, and I recently encounter insanely cheap SD888 tablets. They have "Xiaomi SD888" in the picture itself but not in the item description, sells for $100 or less. They targets people who can't a fast tablet/phone from a slow one with modified system info in the setting to show you the fake info, kind of like the same trick they use fake usb drive. Just long enough to fool you a few days until you actually use one.

It's kind of weird that ali don't implement a way to clamp down on them. No wonder ali platforms are losing business to PDD (Temu) in China.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Zebulon posted:

A lot of people are going for Skull & Co's Jumpgate dock. If you have a grip on your Pocket 4 Pro it won't fit but it comes with a USB-C extension cable that works just fine. Or removing the grip to slide it into the proper dock.

Excellent, that was one I looked at so probably snag one.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Anyone know best solution re:using a bluetooth controller with the RP4 and having to reset binds up on all my emulators?

Only thing I'm really struggling with atm

IG-88 posted:

Hey folks. I really want the purple RGB30.

Not sure if this gets it into an affordable price range for you, but :siren: code RGB30X55 saves you $15USD :siren: and gets it down to $75USD
Also works on the X55
Expires Feb 20

Zebulon posted:

Yeah I use the Skull & Co Jumpgate Dock, fits it just fine.

The RP4 will sit slightly off centre due to where the port is located, but other than that it works as advertised.

Also got some Skull & Co thumbgrips, cause I didn't realise how loving tiny the thumbsticks were.
Now they're actually usable for me.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Infinitum posted:

Anyone know best solution re:using a bluetooth controller with the RP4 and having to reset binds up on all my emulators?

Only thing I'm really struggling with atm

The Android OS itself will recognize the controller if it's paired in the right mode/compatible. RetroArch should recognize the controller without any extra fuss if you pair up then launch RA after, not sure if there's a convenient way for it to dynamically pick up on things while already open. For Dolphin there's a somewhat cumbersome way to assign each GameCube input to two separate keys so you can have the controller and handheld itself bound at the same time. I did it myself and found it works just fine. With AetherSX2 and DuckStation I setup and swap pre-configured controller profiles before docking up. I think DraStic worked without any extra effort when I did it on my 3+ but I haven't tried Citra.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
When there is an issue with a retro handheld, this is how it went for me.
  • October 27 2023, I buy the X-55 from powkiddy.com
  • November 16 2023, I put in for a refund, the left analog stick will send inputs when I'm not touching it
  • December 15 2023, powkiddy 1st responds to the refund request. I can pay to ship it to China and they will repay my shipping when it arrives.
  • Negotiate for a bit on it, they agree to mail me replacement parts instead. I don't trust them to repay the shipping.
  • February 1, 2024, the part arrives. Before opening the device I see it has an OS update. After the update, the analog stick works fine, I never have to open it up.
A few days later I give it to my nephew, as I've already ordered a Retroid Pocket 4 Pro when that became available. I hope the RP4 has no issues, I hate dealing with companies.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Can someone walk me through using the skull co jump gate as a usb-c dock for the rp3+?

When I dock it to the jump gate it seemingly just acts as a charger. Should the hdmi output on it work?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Does either or both of the RP3+ and/or the Jump Gate have an OS/firmware update that can be installed?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Can someone walk me through using the skull co jump gate as a usb-c dock for the rp3+?

When I dock it to the jump gate it seemingly just acts as a charger. Should the hdmi output on it work?

I don’t think the RP3+ does USB video, that was a new thing for the RP4. It only outputs video through the micro HDMI port.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Only the 4 Pro has display output over usb c.

I ordered this USB C dock for mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I must be doing something wrong here, I just don't know what

I'm trying to install some new games on my rg nano (Mario 64 and VVVVVV). I put the .opk files in the "native games" folder, ejected the device and went looking for the games. There's no Games tab, and there isn't anything in Applications, Emulators or Tools. I restarted the nano, still nothing. I reconnected it to double check that the files were there, they are. Has anybody here tried doing this?

Edit: also, is there any way to set the display settings on a per-console basis instead of having to set it for every game individually?

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 16, 2024