Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

That there's even a debate about releasing recordings from depositions, if you're not being forced to by the law, tells me they're worried as poo poo about the polling around his age. Because as others have said, it's just not a good PR move to release five hours of not-PR recordings of any politician. There's too much to mine there.

I think the issue is that he has good days/bad days, good hours and bad hours, and they can't reasonably predict when those will happen, and so the obvious things, like "just schedule interviews or anything else unscripted when you know he'll be sharp and on the ball" aren't options. Because the obvious solution to all of this is to flood the zone with video of him looking sharp and on the ball--if that's possible, that's your number one go-to PR move here. I don't think the folks in charge of managing his image believe that's a possible strategy for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

selec posted:

I think the issue is that he has good days/bad days, good hours and bad hours, and they can't reasonably predict when those will happen

I think that's the case as well, which means he's not fit to be president and the 25th Amendment should be on the table. The powers and decisions of the office shouldn't be a roll of the dice on if the president is lucid at that moment or not. But unfortunately that's a political process/decision instead of a medical one. And honest discussions about this are almost impossible because they devolve into partisan attacks or excuses.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I doubt he will change much. sure part of this is "oh poo poo, stuff i like is getting banned/etc" but i think he is hoping to throw some chuds and protest claims under the bus so he can have some cover when lawsuits happen. he can't turn the faucet off at this point anyway. its out of his hands to a degree. either way, its looks bad for him and i am glad his career is more hosed.

He's shooting for CNN talking head instead of Fox News lol.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Dapper_Swindler posted:

in other US news.

I doubt he will change much. sure part of this is "oh poo poo, stuff i like is getting banned/etc" but i think he is hoping to throw some chuds and protest claims under the bus so he can have some cover when lawsuits happen. he can't turn the faucet off at this point anyway. its out of his hands to a degree. either way, its looks bad for him and i am glad his career is more hosed.

quote:

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Today, Governor Ron DeSantis continued to debunk the false narrative that the state of Florida bans books. Florida does not ban books, instead, the state has empowered parents to object to obscene material in the classroom. Still, some have abused this process to object to items including books about Johnny Appleseed, The Giver and even the Bible. Governor DeSantis is calling on the Legislature to finetune this process to prevent people from taking advantage of Florida law that is designed solely to remove inappropriate material from the classroom.

https://www.flgov.com/2024/02/15/go...from-activists/

:discourse:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

selec posted:

That there's even a debate about releasing recordings from depositions, if you're not being forced to by the law, tells me they're worried as poo poo about the polling around his age. Because as others have said, it's just not a good PR move to release five hours of not-PR recordings of any politician. There's too much to mine there.

I think the issue is that he has good days/bad days, good hours and bad hours, and they can't reasonably predict when those will happen, and so the obvious things, like "just schedule interviews or anything else unscripted when you know he'll be sharp and on the ball" aren't options. Because the obvious solution to all of this is to flood the zone with video of him looking sharp and on the ball--if that's possible, that's your number one go-to PR move here. I don't think the folks in charge of managing his image believe that's a possible strategy for them.

Although the headline doesn't make this clear, the Democrats aren't the ones calling for a release of the recordings.

House Republicans have already demanded that the recordings be scoured of any classified info and released to them - at which point they will no doubt start publishing carefully cherrypicked clips by the next morning. And while the administration doesn't seem to be legally required to comply, it's standard practice to comply with these kinds of requests, so it'd be difficult for the administration to refuse without a good reason.

This leaves the administration with a lot to figure out. How much should they push back, how much can they delay it, how much should they try and get out in front of it, and so on.

There's a much simpler reason why they don't want to start shopping Biden around to all the interviewers right now: it's only February! It's about six months too early for him to start jumping in front of every camera he can find. Not that many people are even paying attention yet.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

oh, another finance/hedge fund guy. Should have guessed that.

at least he's not a total ghoul like all the others

Leon is significantly understating, and weirdly eliding, a lot of stuff about Soros that makes him unique. First, Soros is 93 and literally fled the holocaust (this ties into the antisemitic conspiracy theories). Second, he was a grad student of the critically important political and scientific philosopher Karl Popper (heavy promote of the concept of pluralistic liberal democracies and basically the reason we now understand science and knowledge in terms of hypothesis testing. Soros attributes his entire economic success and subsequent philanthropy to operationalizing Popper's theories; his organization, the Open Society Foundations, is named for a Popper book and revolves around promoting liberal democracy around the world- this makes him a target for autocrats, because he's basically indirectly eroding the social systems that empower them. Third, Soros made an absolute fuckton of money relative to his generation of hedge fund people (even if the amount is "small" relative to the Musks of today), and has actually spent most of it down, predating and outstripping the whole Giving Pledge grift.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

We're 10 months into the great medicaid/CHIP unwinding, where the expiration of the continuous enrollment condition of the Covid Act, and as of the end of January, well over 16.2 million people have been kicked off:

https://www.kff.org/policy-watch/halfway-through-the-medicaid-unwinding-what-do-the-data-show/

Almost half the people in the program, almost 46 million, are still in limbo or unreported, though the article points out some states prioritized people most likely to be kicked off (hopefully Oklahoma, jesus christ) so the %'s might get better for some states.

Also many of the removed are actually eligible for medicaid, so some will get re-added, but uh, bleak.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

FistEnergy posted:

I think that's the case as well, which means he's not fit to be president and the 25th Amendment should be on the table. The powers and decisions of the office shouldn't be a roll of the dice on if the president is lucid at that moment or not. But unfortunately that's a political process/decision instead of a medical one. And honest discussions about this are almost impossible because they devolve into partisan attacks or excuses.

FDR was literally dying while running for reelection and coming up with the United Nations and fighting and beating literal loving Nazis. All this garbage about Biden's age and health is just a distraction from the fact that the GOP candidate is loving nutjob.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
on the other hand, no such thing as good billionaires

Skex posted:

FDR was literally dying while running for reelection and coming up with the United Nations and fighting and beating literal loving Nazis. All this garbage about Biden's age and health is just a distraction from the fact that the GOP candidate is loving nutjob.
cmon fat, he's old as poo poo. no reason to pretend he ain't and that it shouldn't be a concern

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 16, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Discendo Vox posted:

Leon is significantly understating, and weirdly eliding, a lot of stuff about Soros that makes him unique. First, Soros is 93 and literally fled the holocaust (this ties into the antisemitic conspiracy theories). Second, he was a grad student of the critically important political and scientific philosopher Karl Popper (heavy promote of the concept of pluralistic liberal democracies and basically the reason we now understand science and knowledge in terms of hypothesis testing. Soros attributes his entire economic success and subsequent philanthropy to operationalizing Popper's theories; his organization, the Open Society Foundations, is named for a Popper book and revolves around promoting liberal democracy around the world- this makes him a target for autocrats, because he's basically indirectly eroding the social systems that empower them. Third, Soros made an absolute fuckton of money relative to his generation of hedge fund people (even if the amount is "small" relative to the Musks of today), and has actually spent most of it down, predating and outstripping the whole Giving Pledge grift.

All of that is true, but the question was "What does he do for a day job?" and not what specific characteristics foster the conspiracy theories about him.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

It seems that law is working at least partially correctly imo. I would likely find the presence of a Bible to be obscene in many public school curriculums.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

I found that the rise of Soros-targeted conspiracy theories correlates with the ascension and consolidation of power in Russia by Vladimir Putin. Considering that Soros and the Open Society Foundation supported Solidarity party in Poland, which led to the breakup of the Warsaw Pact and later the Soviet Union, I don't think that's a coincidence.

Feb 16, 2024

The White House is investigating the Justice Department over the Justice Department's bad words about The Drake. while a 99% homeless genocide is ongoing

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
setting aside whether homeless people count as a genocidable demographic, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about (at least if we don't count everything about the handling of the homeless since the Roanoake Colony)

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Skex posted:

When he died, FDR was about 20 years younger than Biden, and FDR's death was a result of his brain hemorrhaging rather than turning to mush.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Google Jeb Bush posted:

setting aside whether homeless people count as a genocidable demographic, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about (at least if we don't count everything about the handling of the homeless since the Roanoake Colony)

I can't speak for what the OP meant, but the war in Gaza is an ongoing genocide that has caused nearly the entire population of the territory to be homeless.

CNBC calls it 85%
https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/11/desperate-palestinians-in-gazas-rafah-fear-coming-israeli-assault.html

Feb 16, 2024

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Hurr said a Bad Thing about Derr Furr which breaks the rules of Hurr's Department -Breaking News, Top News Story February 15th 2024

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Young Freud posted:

I found that the rise of Soros-targeted conspiracy theories correlates with the ascension and consolidation of power in Russia by Vladimir Putin. Considering that Soros and the Open Society Foundation supported Solidarity party in Poland, which led to the breakup of the Warsaw Pact and later the Soviet Union, I don't think that's a coincidence.

Yeah, Soros's longest-running efforts have been in Eastern Europe and essentially against what Putin represents.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bel Shazar posted:

I can't speak for what the OP meant, but the war in Gaza is an ongoing genocide that has caused nearly the entire population of the territory to be homeless.

CNBC calls it 85%
https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/11/desperate-palestinians-in-gazas-rafah-fear-coming-israeli-assault.html

Oh, I parsed that totally the other way. Okay that makes an adequate amount of sense.

Us news: well uh hm. Remember the whole thing about documentation of migrant kids, good or bad / ORR shelters / unwinding the Trump admin's border shittery? Looks like the paperwork on releasing unaccompanied kids to sponsors (thus getting them out of The Cages ORR shelters and overflow housing in general) may have been a bit sloppy in 2021:

https://www.usnews.com/news/politic...l-watchdog-says

ORR rebuttal in the article is basically "yeah we know, we already revamped our procedures for the next time there's a surge or a backlog".

guess there's a good reason to do the paperwork right and keep following up

not so great for some of the kids that got scooped up as farm labor and so on

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 16, 2024

Feb 16, 2024
George Soros (age 93)

Feb 16, 2024
everyone keeps calling it Gaza when its actually Palestine

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

021524 posted:

Hurr said a Bad Thing about Derr Furr which breaks the rules of Hurr's Department -Breaking News, Top News Story February 15th 2024

Are you suggesting that the question of who wins the US presidential election is of zero importance in relation to important events in the world? Everything will be the same regardless of who wins?

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

The Artificial Kid posted:

Are you suggesting that the question of who wins the US presidential election is of zero importance in relation to important events in the world? Everything will be the same regardless of who wins?

You're arguing with a troll who literally makes a new account every day. In fact, he was given a day's probation for being the same troll who makes a new account every day less than an hour after he posted that load of brain droppings.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
im not one to usually say this, but give no attention to the date as an account money whale

e:fb

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kalli posted:

We're 10 months into the great medicaid/CHIP unwinding, where the expiration of the continuous enrollment condition of the Covid Act, and as of the end of January, well over 16.2 million people have been kicked off:

https://www.kff.org/policy-watch/halfway-through-the-medicaid-unwinding-what-do-the-data-show/

Almost half the people in the program, almost 46 million, are still in limbo or unreported, though the article points out some states prioritized people most likely to be kicked off (hopefully Oklahoma, jesus christ) so the %'s might get better for some states.

Also many of the removed are actually eligible for medicaid, so some will get re-added, but uh, bleak.

This poo poo sucks. I have to talk to elderly people every day and explain why they no longer qualify for good health care coverage and need to accrue thousands of dollars of bills in order to qualify for Medicaid when they are barely surviving in subsistence living with their social security checks. People are 100% dying because of this.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

World Famous W posted:

im not one to usually say this, but give no attention to the date as an account money whale

e:fb

Given what people sink into egirls and gachas these days it's not even much of a whale we have here only spending :10bux: once or twice a day. In fact, they claim to be a porpoise.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Idealistic fools putting sustainability above stability and profit. Get out of the way, we're trying to build exponential growth! Look at the numbers, it's what the people want!

*"they're making a lot more money than you, just saying!" (As rich influential moguls build bug-out-bunkers)

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 16, 2024

Shut up and JAM!
Sep 3, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

This poo poo sucks. I have to talk to elderly people every day and explain why they no longer qualify for good health care coverage and need to accrue thousands of dollars of bills in order to qualify for Medicaid when they are barely surviving in subsistence living with their social security checks. People are 100% dying because of this.

I'm appalled anyone could willingly be part of a fascist machine that denies some of the most vulnerable parts of society their unalienable human rights to healthcare and try to justify it by casually condemning it as "poo poo sucks" all while drawing a paycheck while people are, by their own words, 100% dying.

Shut up and JAM! fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 16, 2024

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

BRJurgis posted:

*"they're making a lot more money than you, just saying!" (As rich influential moguls build bug-out-bunkers)

I mean those guys are building bug out bunkers because they're dumb. There are a lot of dumb rich people. The (edit: second :toot:) richest man in the world is on ketamine while he makes business decisions.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Shut up and JAM! posted:

I'm appalled anyone could willingly be part of a fascist machine that denies some of the most vulnerable parts of society their unalienable human rights to healthcare and try to justify it by casually condemning it as "poo poo sucks" all while drawing a paycheck while people are, by their own words, 100% dying.
If you're condemning OP's job, I think there are a lot of jobs where you might end up explaining those things to people without being part of the for-profit healthcare system.

Shut up and JAM!
Sep 3, 2011
Having fellow travelers does not absolve an individual of their complicity.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Shut up and JAM! posted:

So your argument here is that someone who works at a non-profit with the purpose of aiding the poor in getting government assistance is also complicit?

Also how is everyone posting on this American based forum not complicit anyways as part of the background radiation of their lives. Literally every single person with an account on this forum has paid taxed American dollars which went right to supporting that institution. Or is that too many degrees removed?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Shut up and JAM! posted:

IDK what op does but I hope they are not one of the social workers who are fellow travelers with Rick Scott.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I'm pretty sure I saw a Prof Beetus post a few weeks ago saying his job is literally helping people through the benefits system so they can navigate it and hopefully have a higher chance of success

I guess it's not revolutionary violence but it's a gently caress of a lot more than most of us are ever going to do so maybe slow your roll and consider other possibilities rather than Kramering into the thread to make assumptions about how evil and fascist someone is

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Shut up and JAM! posted:

Yeah real humanitarians don’t stoop to working in helping professions under capitalism, they wait until the systemic impediments to true compassion have been removed and then emerge like butterflies to bestow the golden light of their long-hidden benevolence upon the huddled masses.

Senate Cum Dump
Dec 18, 2023

IN THIS VERY ROOM:

~Sonia Sotomayor had her confirmation hearing

~James Comey testified on Russian interference in the 2016 elections

~Aidan got some thick German sausage & a Jager sauce finish

Shut up and JAM! posted:

Shut up and JAM! posted:

your posts here are basically equivalent to the good ol' meme

also iirc Professor Beetus has posted about being actually diabetic and having to struggle to pay for insulin so y'know, maybe slow your roll here

Senate Cum Dump fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Feb 16, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Artificial Kid posted:

Yeah real humanitarians don’t stoop to working in helping professions under capitalism, they wait until the systemic impediments to true compassion have been removed and then emerge like butterflies to bestow the golden light of their long-hidden benevolence upon the huddled masses.

Look, taking action to directly help people just opens you up to personal attacks. The better strategy by far is to do nothing yourself at all, so that you are immune to criticism.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Shut up and JAM! posted:

posting pals not fellow travelers

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/15/business/economy/amazon-labor-nlrb.html

That Staten Island Amazon warehouse unionized a couple years ago. Amazon retaliated against some of the organizers and this lead to action by NLRB prosecutors. Now Amazon, joined by SpaceX and Trader Joe’s, are arguing that the NLRB’s structure itself is unconstitutional.

And in even worse news,

quote:

The arguments appear to align with a broader conservative effort to question the constitutionality of a variety of regulatory actions, some of which have resulted in cases before the Supreme Court.

In January, the Supreme Court also agreed to hear a case brought by Starbucks, which is challenging a federal judge’s order reinstating employees who were fired during a union campaign. The outcome of the case could rein in the labor board’s longstanding practice of seeking reinstatement for workers while their cases are litigated, a process that can take years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The only good news is that SpaceX’s case is in CA instead of Texas like they wanted. So it wouldn’t go through the super conservative 5th circuit.