Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yiggy posted:

This defense attorney has been described as good in thread by other attorneys for chasing the hard angles for her client but watching this questioning right now she seems shakey, and like she’s engaged in a fishing expedition needing constant redirection from the judge and sounding unsure about what she’s even asking.

I mean if I was 100% guilty of some poo poo I'd want my defense attorney to throw every BS hail mary they could to try to get me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My impression about the "this trump lawyer is actually competent" thing is it seems like Trump has the magic ability of making people who had real reputations and credentials eat poo poo for inexplicable reasons.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Yiggy posted:

This defense attorney has been described as good in thread by other attorneys for chasing the hard angles for her client but watching this questioning right now she seems shakey, and like she’s engaged in a fishing expedition needing constant redirection from the judge and sounding unsure about what she’s even asking.

I mean, there's different kinds of good layering.

She found something no other lawyer for any of the forty odd defendants in this RICO case found. That's good lawyeringin the sense of good investigating.

Then she went on a fishing expedition for more. That was probably the right call given what she knew at the time, the stakes of the case, and the unlikeliness of a decent plea offer.

Problem is there was never much chance of finding any fish. Still if she manages to catch willis or wade in a clear on the record lie then she's won a huge victory. And she still might.

Courtroom bearing doesn't always matter. I knew one lawyer who won a murder trial, not guilty, where the whole thing was on video. He kinda looked like an idiot the whole time. I talked to him about it and he said his strategy was to look too incompetent to be lying to the jury, dumb but honest. It worked.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

rkd_ posted:

Can anyone explain the conflict of interest?

I understand her hiring a lover to do a big case isn’t kosher because she’d be sending money to someone that would benefit her too, but I don’t see how that would affect the case against Trump.

Prosecutors aren’t meant to be impartial, so as long as the evidence is there it shouldn’t matter?

The other conflict of interest I can see is that since Willis and Wade lied/concealed being in a relationship, they might also not be fully conducting the investigation above board. (IE not fully reviewing or properly scrutinising the evidence.)

Realistically when conducting an investigation, you don't want any conflicts of interest just to stop this from being a possibility.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Raenir Salazar posted:

My impression about the "this trump lawyer is actually competent" thing is it seems like Trump has the magic ability of making people who had real reputations and credentials eat poo poo for inexplicable reasons.

Right. This lady has a theory, she found a witness to support it, she's chasing a real lead, there may be more, and it could sink the case. She's also torching her rep with the DA to do it which is a ballsy move. That is all competent lawyering to a far greater degree than most of Trump's attorneys have exhibited.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
That’s fair and instructive. I appreciate the perspective.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

FizFashizzle posted:

The main Atlanta twitter lawyer dude mentioned her strength was in document review and finding procedural errors, not necessarily in examination/questioning etc.

As someone focuses on e-discovery as well, the skill sets are entirely different. Being able to run sql or regex queries on data you are collecting and processing to limit the data set needed for review and save your client money? Great skill set for e-discovery. Useless for trial work.

Being a great public speaker and able to confront people or make bullshit arguments while having an encyclopedic knowledge of the rules of evidence? Amazing for trial work, public speaking might be somewhat useful in e-discovery, but the work there is usually collaborative with the other attorneys working on the review, not antagonistic.

I'd like to think I'm a decent e-discovery attorney. I have no illusions as to being even passing as a trial lawyer.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Apparently she wasn't competent enough to find out that Wade had cancer during the time of the alleged affair and was self isolating due to being immunocompromised from treatment.

That's not going to go well for the Trump case.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I just tried watching some of the live feed (it's here by the way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDcexi-W8rQ

)

and my God the GOP lawyers are annoying. Willis isn't helping herself (the judge has had to tell her to calm the gently caress down twice since I tuned in) but the questions have been dire and, frankly, often comically irrelevant.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
https://twitter.com/semafor/status/1758240283160981949

Seems to contradict the thread's belief that things are going well for Willis.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

C. Everett Koop posted:

I'm at work at can't listen but it sounds frokmwhat I'm reading like willis is taking the opportunity to grandstand.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

C. Everett Koop posted:

Getting an answer struck doesn't mean everything she says the whole day, it means that answer. So yeah, clickbait isn't reality.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

The judge has been slapping both of them around, it's click bait.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

rkd_ posted:

Can anyone explain the conflict of interest?

I understand her hiring a lover to do a big case isn’t kosher because she’d be sending money to someone that would benefit her too, but I don’t see how that would affect the case against Trump.

Prosecutors aren’t meant to be impartial, so as long as the evidence is there it shouldn’t matter?

It shouldn't directly affect the case against Trump. The conflict of Willis's interest is between Wade, and her client, the public. If this conflict exists the case can still proceed, but it's likely that Willis's office will have to hand it off to another DA who isn't secretly sleeping with the people they hire to prosecute.

rkd_ posted:

Willis has already been disqualified once for being conflicted against a defendant in this case

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/22120804-order-disqualifying-da-fani-willis-office

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Fart Amplifier posted:

Willis has already been disqualified once for being conflicted against a defendant in this case

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/22120804-order-disqualifying-da-fani-willis-office

Willis is in a relationship with a defendant???

Caros
May 14, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

The specific context is that she is annoyed at this attorney for digging into her personal life and trying to smear her so she's being fairly rude.

The specific thing that warranted the warning was that Willis was asked if Wade had ever spent the night in 2020 and she said 'no he has never been to my home'. The lawyer kept pushing and Willis got annoyed because 'how can he have spent the night at a place he has never been to.

She spent a lot of time talking about how she has been driven out of her home by death threats, so honestly I can't blame her for feeling this is personal.

Edit':

Fani "I didn't give him anything other than cash"

Trumple: "Did you write him a cheque?"

Fani: -*sasiest voice you have ever head* Ma'am... I don't have cheques.

Caros fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 15, 2024

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Devor posted:

Willis is in a relationship with a defendant???

No? Please be clear about what you're responding to and why you think it means what you're saying.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

My take on today:

Willis probably didn't use the greatest judgement and probably was sloppy with documenting cash flow on some nickel and dime poo poo that is "technically" receiving of gifts but I don't think it rose to corruption or any actual motivation other than being in a relationship with someone in your career orbit.

It definitely was not some elaborate scheme to funnel tax payer money to her gently caress buddy.

I think this is gonna get tossed and it will be all eyes back on the RICO case.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I can't believe democracy in the US is going to die because groceries are like %30 more expensive than in 2019 and a judge decided it would totally not matter to gently caress the prosecutor in one of the biggest cases of all time.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Fart Amplifier posted:

No? Please be clear about what you're responding to and why you think it means what you're saying.

You should probably read what you posted to find out why it could be different.

Hint: It was because Willis had ran a fund-raiser for the Democratic that the person charged decided to run against.

That's actually substantial.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Charliegrs posted:

I can't believe democracy in the US is going to die because groceries are like %30 more expensive than in 2019 and a judge decided it would totally not matter to gently caress the prosecutor in one of the biggest cases of all time.

Nobody is loving a judge here. Two prosecutors are loving each other. It probably won't matter.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Kchama posted:

You should probably read what you posted to find out why it could be different.

I didn't say that they weren't different and I wasn't asking the poster to explain why they were different.

Kchama posted:

Hint: It was because Willis had ran a fund-raiser for the Democratic that the person charged decided to run against.

This isn't Willis being in a relationship with a defendant.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

If democracy dies, it's not going to be because of anything a judge did, it's going to be because a substantial chunk of the American population supported Donald Trump despite his numerous scandals and crimes.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Main Paineframe posted:

If democracy dies, it's not going to be because of anything a judge did, it's going to be because a substantial chunk of the American population supported Donald Trump despite his numerous scandals and crimes.

To add to this, I think Three Arrows had a mostly* good explainer about the fall of the Weimar Republic; where he presents the argument about the role of the legal system in enabling Hitler's rise to power and how many of Weimar's institutions including its judiciary were just completely captured by people who were either, Fash, Fash-enabling, Fash-curious, or Democracy-Apathetic. Essentially you had a lot of institutions and a lot of people who just lacked the willingness to have the Republic survive a Hitler figure entering the picture; many people on both the left and right didn't want the Republic to continue to exist in its current form.

America is pretty far from this on many fronts, many of the US's institutions are still manned by dedicated people who want the US to continue to endure, and a lot of people (voters) who also want this. I think if the US can continue to endure long enough for demographics to kick in a little more the "Center" can continue to hold until the right breaks apart.

*Three Arrows kinda makes the argument that this is all in large part to Germany lacking a history of democracy or democratic institutions but at a glance that seemed to me to be patently incorrect, but this is neither here nor there.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Fart Amplifier posted:

I didn't say that they weren't different and I wasn't asking the poster to explain why they were different.

This isn't Willis being in a relationship with a defendant.

Right, it is easily and obviously distinguishable and introducing the argument without acknowledging that is disingenuous

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Devor posted:

Right, it is easily and obviously distinguishable and introducing the argument without acknowledging that is disingenuous

I'm not sure what point you think you're trying to make but it very clearly was distinguished in my original comment on the topic.

When I referred to the current allegation of conflict of interest: "The conflict of Willis's interest is between Wade, and her client, the public."

When I referred to her previous disqualification: "Willis has already been disqualified once for being conflicted against a defendant in this case"

You will note in those quotes that when talking about the previous one and this one, I describe and distinguished them differently and equate them nowhere since they are separate things.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

So it's sounding like republicans made poo poo up in the hopes of slandering someone yet again, who could have guessed they'd do this once more, and especially to a minority in a position of any authority, whoa, mindblowing

Kchama posted:

There wasn't really anything to begin. The Trump lawyer argument is that the entire case was a scam to funnel money to Wade and wouldn't have been prosecuted in the first place if it wasn't for the relationship.

The non-Trump guy's argument was that Willis sabotaged the case and artificially lengthened it to pay Wade more, which is pretty laughable due to my reply to volts5000.

He's private, so former. According to his receipts he actually lost potential money because he did a lot more work than he could legally bill for.

"President?! Do you know how much paycheck I'd have to give up to prosecute a president?!"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

In all fairness, it is fairly trivial to argue "Wade may have taken a pay cut but being part of a team that, he expected, would successfully prosecute Trump would grant him enough cachet to ensure his position as one of the most sought-after prosectors in the country, and secure potentially an entire career of high paying cases, more than making up for the haircut he took here."

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Fart Amplifier posted:

I'm not sure what point you think you're trying to make but it very clearly was distinguished in my original comment on the topic.

When I referred to the current allegation of conflict of interest: "The conflict of Willis's interest is between Wade, and her client, the public."

When I referred to her previous disqualification: "Willis has already been disqualified once for being conflicted against a defendant in this case"

You will note in those quotes that when talking about the previous one and this one, I describe and distinguished them differently and equate them nowhere since they are separate things.

Her client isn't the public. Her client is the government. As long as she crosses her ts and dots her is with regards to their requirements, she can basically does what she want to. And to all accounts she has done just that.

You confused people because you replied to someone talking about how prosecutors are allowed to be biased against defendants with the time she was DQ'd over having a conflict of interest versus the defendant, which is something else entirely. One could reasonably infer that she could have brought her cast against that defendant based on a conflict of interest against her because she had donated to his opponent.

There's nothing like that in this case.

Ms Adequate posted:

In all fairness, it is fairly trivial to argue "Wade may have taken a pay cut but being part of a team that, he expected, would successfully prosecute Trump would grant him enough cachet to ensure his position as one of the most sought-after prosectors in the country, and secure potentially an entire career of high paying cases, more than making up for the haircut he took here."

Indeed, but then in that case literally all lawyers would be DQ'd for any important case.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ms Adequate posted:

Sure, but that's not a *conflict*. That's just a motivation to do a really good job at prosecuting Trump.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

Absolutely true (and probably accurate) but it is hard to argue that she then made a direct financial benefit from that, which is what the Trump Team needs.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Ms Adequate posted:

"your honor my client only gave this case to her lover because they were so drat sure it would be a slam-goddamn-dunk therefore my client should be allowed to go free"

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Why is the prosecutor for this case on the stand and being grilled about possible legal wrongdoings she may or may not have done? Seems like this whole case is already turbo hosed if the prosecutor is the one in the headlines

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

Why is the prosecutor for this case on the stand and being grilled about possible legal wrongdoings she may or may not have done? Seems like this whole case is already turbo hosed if the prosecutor is the one in the headlines

Because anyone can sue anyone in America for any reason.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I should clarify that I did not mean that as some kind of effective argument for Merchant that will win her the case or anything - just that the particular angle of "Wade took a pay cut so how could it be corruption?" has an obvious counter (There are plenty of other reasons it doesn't seem to be corruption, and at the worst an issue for HR to sort out)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Because the defendants are desperate and have no other ideas. They're just making poo poo up and going on fishing expeditions hoping they can find a way to weasel out of the charges.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Because judges have to evaluate claims as long as there's the slightest possibility they could be up to snuff, and that's a very low bar. Otherwise, it could be the basis of an appeal. So stupid poo poo like this has to be entertained so the case doesn't get thrown out.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Kchama posted:

You confused people because you replied to someone talking about how prosecutors are allowed to be biased against defendants with the time she was DQ'd over having a conflict of interest versus the defendant, which is something else entirely. One could reasonably infer that she could have brought her cast against that defendant based on a conflict of interest against her because she had donated to his opponent.

There's nothing like that in this case.

I didn't say there was anything like that in this case.

The original commenter asked what the conflict in this case was. I explained it.

The original commenter then said that prosecutors aren't required to be impartial. I responded with Willis already being disqualified from prosecuting someone in this very case because she wasn't impartial. I broke up the two quotes and responses and only the fact that they were contained in the same comment connected them in any way.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

ElegantFugue posted:

So it's sounding like republicans made poo poo up in the hopes of slandering someone yet again, who could have guessed they'd do this once more, and especially to a minority in a position of any authority, whoa, mindblowing

I refuse to believe it’s normal or ethical to get reimbursed for business expenses, in cash, from your boss, who you’re loving.

That’s putting the conflicting testimony where someone must be lying under oath aside.

This is a total mess and an own goal - if she gets removed, the case is effectively dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

As long as you can find a lawyer willing to cast correct spells the judges have to entertain the bullshit.