Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Soul Dentist posted:

Why is your schad always videos of young women falling down

Why haven't you posted any schad despite having five pages worth of posts itt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Why haven't you posted any schad despite having five pages worth of posts itt?

I see this sentiment posted a lot in pyf, and it is such a loving stupid complaint. It's a discussion thread, not an image database. People discuss the schad that gets posted. That's part of what makes this thread (and other image threads) interesting. If you don't like it, maybe browse imgur instead of an old dead web 1.0 forum.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

yup

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Soul Dentist posted:

I'll never understand the goons who define schadenfreude as "the first vine I can google to stop chat thread"

From my five pages of posts

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Soul Dentist posted:

Why is your schad always videos of young women falling down

Pretty odd comment to make on a post that has a guy falling down on it. And a quick look back through their posts in this thread has a pretty equal split of genders.

You're being weird.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Roblo posted:

Pretty odd comment to make on a post that has a guy falling down on it. And a quick look back through their posts in this thread has a pretty equal split of genders.

You're being weird.

I mean, they hate sea shanties. They've always been weird.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

I see this sentiment posted a lot in pyf, and it is such a loving stupid complaint. It's a discussion thread, not an image database. People discuss the schad that gets posted. That's part of what makes this thread (and other image threads) interesting. If you don't like it, maybe browse imgur instead of an old dead web 1.0 forum.

Crying and complaining isn't content worth posting, unless there's legitimate grievances to air and 99.99% of the time it's just the whiner huffing their own farts and enjoying the sounds of their own keyboard.

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021

Brain Curry posted:

Wow, how will Timmy support his crippling hot dog addiction?

He lives in South Dakota now, his addiction now is mostly meth

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

KoRMaK posted:

if you look at this through the lens of colonial wealth extraction, well its pretty drat funny

https://x.com/BrandyLJensen/status/1758162963788181829?s=20

My friends? Also dumb as poo poo. :colbert:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

scamers reading this article just contact all these people over and over again to rescam them. deep pocket dummies.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
"Hi I'm contacting you on behalf of the Cash Shoebox Retrieval Agency. Yes, we're real, our office sits on top of the Federal Wallet Inspection Bureau. All I need from you is a similar shoebox full of cash to act as bait."

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I couldn’t get scammed for 50k because I don’t have 50k.

So if you can get scammed for 50k and then write about it and not struggle, my sympathy still exists because I am not a cold-hearted person but it is significantly diminished.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/colin_fraser/status/1758226978912731617

Haha

Someone else on twitter noted that this financial guru had her entire savings in a 0.2% interest bearing savings account

The General
Mar 4, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

I couldn’t get scammed for 50k because I don’t have 50k.

So if you can get scammed for 50k and then write about it and not struggle, my sympathy still exists because I am not a cold-hearted person but it is significantly diminished.

If rich people are gonna tell me they're rich because they're smart, I am going to laugh my rear end off every time they get scammed.

:laugh:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/colin_fraser/status/1758226978912731617

Haha

Someone else on twitter noted that this financial guru had her entire savings in a 0.2% interest bearing savings account

First part of the story that's really shocking to me. Fidelity or even CC companies like Discover or Citi have debit/savings accounts that are paying north of 4.3% right now :doh:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

LifeSunDeath posted:

scamers reading this article just contact all these people over and over again to rescam them. deep pocket dummies.

Unironically scammers will often re-target the same people and trade them around over and over because someone who'll walk into a scam once will usually walk into a scam twice.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

Unironically scammers will often re-target the same people and trade them around over and over because someone who'll walk into a scam once will usually walk into a scam twice.

I forget the movie but I saw one once where some guys had been phone scamming a lady over the phone, then showed up at her door pretending to be detectives investigating their own crime. Ma'am, we're going to need your banking details to do a federal search and make sure they haven't been compromised anywhere else :cop:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

But surely at some point they’ve already lost their house and maxed all their credit cards?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

The Lone Badger posted:

But surely at some point they’ve already lost their house and maxed all their credit cards?

they take out loans for their scammers. watch catfished youtube channel it's incredible, people going into debt and still believe the scammer is real.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Takes No Damage posted:

I forget the movie but I saw one once where some guys had been phone scamming a lady over the phone, then showed up at her door pretending to be detectives investigating their own crime. Ma'am, we're going to need your banking details to do a federal search and make sure they haven't been compromised anywhere else :cop:
Matchstick men?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
man im in the wrong job, i should clearly take up a job scamming rich idiots

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Non Compos Mentis posted:

man im in the wrong job, i should clearly take up a job scamming rich idiots

I can teach you how, just wire me $50,000

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Tunicate posted:

I can teach you how, just wire me $50,000

Sounds complicated... do you accept shoeboxes?

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

LifeSunDeath posted:

they take out loans for their scammers. watch catfished youtube channel it's incredible, people going into debt and still believe the scammer is real.

yep scammers will convince them they're just one payment away from millions or whatever

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Scarodactyl posted:

Matchstick men?

Yep!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My4ojpQzoWY

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Roblo posted:

You're being weird.

yup

he might be mistaking him for someone else, there was some poster here who would always post schad of hot young women

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

yup

he might be mistaking him for someone else, there was some poster here who would always post schad of hot young women

probably

the actual creep schad poster got perma'd a long time ago for a lot worse

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
^^^:pedoranda:^^^

Nah the "just mindlessly trawling imgur like a filter feeder" thing explained it better, unfortunately

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
By unfortunately I mean that it makes sense that the content is popular on imgur, not that it's worse than the poster being an actual pedophile

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Under no circumstances, you got to "hand it to" Rachel Dolezal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T76IPVdkDZ4&t=214s

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

It was a fraud, but not a crime.

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus

PurpleXVI posted:

there are scammers who hang around reddit's r/scams just to message posters who have been scammed and claim they can get their money back (of course, you have to either pay them or just give them a few pieces of information first...). this happens sufficiently often that nearly every thread includes advice warning of "recovery scammers".

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ShimaTetsuo posted:

there are scammers who hang around reddit's r/scams just to message posters who have been scammed and claim they can get their money back (of course, you have to either pay them or just give them a few pieces of information first...). this happens sufficiently often that nearly every thread includes advice warning of "recovery scammers".

John Oliver did an episode about how people get scammed by timeshares and then scammed again by a company that promises to help you get out of the timeshare scam.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ShimaTetsuo posted:

Also anyone who posts online about a stolen car or stolen cryptocurrency will get targeted by similar recovery scams. I checked out a local Facebook neighbourhood group recently and it turned out their content was all public and their membership process was pretty much unrestricted so whenever anyone posted "My car was stolen, if you see it plz call cops" there'd be a flood of bots telling them to contact dodgy Instagram accounts who run stolen car recovery services, swearing that they'd used the service and it worked great and they got their car back within 24 hrs. Of course if anyone contacts those Insta accounts they'll ask for an upfront fee and them ghost them.

There's also a whole bunch of scams targeting people who have lost pets, some of them offering fake "tracking" services to locate a missing pet, many claiming to be animal services and demanding an upfront reclamation fee or even telling them the pet was badly injured and demanding they pay veterinary costs before they'll arrange for the pet to be released, and some of them claiming they have the pet and making the owner 'confirm their identity' by going through a fake verification process which actually gives them control of your account

People loving suck :smith:

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 16:14 on Feb 16, 2024

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
If you want some catharsis about scammers check out Statham's new movie The Beekeeper, where some old lady who takes care of him gets scammed out of her life's savings so he kills everyone.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

muscles like this! posted:

John Oliver did an episode about how people get scammed by timeshares and then scammed again by a company that promises to help you get out of the timeshare scam.

If you notice, the timeshare guy almost always subtly gestures to an opt-out document. The fool just can't help it. All you gotta do then is pay a couple grand, you're released.

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard
The most amusing part to me is that it could have been entirely avoided by simply not answering the phone. Who the hell wants to take calls from ‘Amazon’.

Why answer the phone at all, people?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's really funny is that I'm pretty sure she wrote the article because she's worried that she is that stupid and was fishing for a flood of "oh you're not dumb, this could happen to anyone" and now she's been as thoroughly roasted as anyone I've seen.

https://twitter.com/Cam_Oflage/status/1758315154578784748

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

How long does her life need to be ruined exactly for the stupid poo poo she did over a decade ago that she needed psychological treatment for? What material harm did she cause?

She's a racist. And seeing as shes now going by Nkechi, a traditional Nigerian name, she's still doing her racist bullshit.