Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I seriously can't begin to fathom how it seems to handle reflections/object permanence
there is sorcery at work here

It's always a lot simpler than it looks. This is just an encoder-decoder model that spits out prediction data in the form of images instead of text. You give it words, it encodes that and uses it to prime the decoder. The decoder runs a loop, shits out a frame, then all that data is wrapped back into the encoder to make the next frame. It probably only has access to a handful of previous frames, but if it's enough to maintain consistency it'll put out a decent image set that's able to fool you into thinking it's a video.

It doesn't understand reflections, it just knows that if a bright spot is at X it'll probably be a Y the next frame.

The lady in the window reflection? It knows when the window goes dark the image in that location changes. Since most of the videos like this show the reflection of the person filming it fills in a person as the reflection.

Machine learning algos just try to minimize their loss functions to get as close as possible to what you trained it on. Nothing more nothing less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

quietmonkey posted:

No doubt, and I think that's good advice. I've definitely been trying to really embrace a sense of gratitude for just being able to experience it all, and knowing I can't control any of this, trying to minimize my own impact and simply be kind and embrace the good that's in my life.

That said, I do also think some of these things have the potential for change and/or destruction in a way that hasn't really happened in human history before though.

Agreed, and on the last part, sometimes I start to believe theories in this thread that you choose your life before it even starts. Because it'd make more sense with all the absolutely bat poo poo things going on. Definitely a ride that stays interesting these days.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

“It’s been portrayed by the media as crazies that are identifying unidentified flying objects, but it’s not,” Norman exclusively told Ask a Pol. “He’s been doing this 30-some years. Combat veteran. Very qualified. I’m gonna have him back. In fact, we may open it up. Everybody ought — y’all ought to know it — everybody should.”

“I heard he corroborated what the whistleblower, David Grusch, testified to this summer?” Laslo inquired.

“Absolutely,” Norman replied to Ask a Pol. “Yes.”

Lue is really doing it eh lol

https://www.askapol.com/p/sneak-peek-rep-norman-says-lue-elizondo

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Pooky posted:

Could I get a card pull? The universe has presented many paths for my partner and I. Decision paralysis sucks rear end and I am having a hard time choosing to pull the trigger on a moonshot or just accept boring but safe long-term stability.

So I'm drawing three rows, first one for your "moonshot", second one for your "safer road", and a last for the secret third way that always exists; each row considered the following questions:

1. Why is it essential for me to deeply consider pursuing this option?
2. Which past experiences should I meditate on as I contemplate this potential path?
3. What fresh insights could emerge from exploring this potential path?
4. How should I engage in introspection to adeptly navigate these forthcoming changes?

Queen of Wands (reversed), 8 of Wands (reversed), 3 of Wands (reversed), 10 of Pentacles

6 of Swords, 6 of Wands, 8 of Swords, The Hermit (reversed)

Knight of Swords (reversed), Strength, The World, 9 of Cups (reversed)

The Demilich has issued a correction as of 00:48 on Feb 16, 2024

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

God I hope so

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

agreed, the despotic overlord implied by that third reading sounds like some real excitement

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ralph Norman is a total psycho, so I welcome having him on board.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

SniperWoreConverse posted:

ah see, based off the P.E.I. EVALUATION FRAME™®© I jumped to the conclusion that it was one of those ones they were belting out to help out podunk cop shops root out d&d-playing kids who might be smoking weed (:stonk:) and poo poo like that. The whole confabulated structure of bullshit. There's been threads making fun of Chick Tracts since SA formed, but that general sorta bullshit really did and still does have pull in some groups, really did and still does ruin people's lives, and there's a lot of weird poo poo taken for granted and assumed to be true and used as Real Hard Forensic Sciences when it's very much not.

In some ways like 40-50-60 years ago it was easier to get a good grift and maybe push a lot of really insane stuff, because nobody had the same ways to double check anything and everyone was more reliant on "experts." Ofc the whole thing was still a huge shitshow like now but :shrug: You could maybe argue now in some ways it's worse idk.

:lmao: I certainly don't blame you for the assumption, it is a bit of a ridiculous graphic even with context, and the questionable use of the copyright symbol made me laugh too and significantly contributed to my desire to share it here. Thank you for evaluating the thread, I'm glad we are still in a safe zone of open-minded exploration and inquiry without blind conformity.

Speaking of open-mindedness,

Pooky posted:

Could I get a card pull? The universe has presented many paths for my partner and I. Decision paralysis sucks rear end and I am having a hard time choosing to pull the trigger on a moonshot or just accept boring but safe long-term stability.

Bird cards, The Demilich has already done a big thorough set of pulls for our friend Pooky, but it's always nice to have more input on potential big decisions. If I am understanding those pulls correctly, there are positives and negatives to all three paths under discussion, so I will ask a little differently than Demilich did: What might Pooky look for to help guide them toward making the most advantageous decision?

Ten of Swords is an inevitable, but still difficult ending. It is the card that embodies the idea of things being "darkest before the dawn"; there may be a sense of betrayal or a feeling of heartbreak, but remember that only with endings may rise new beginnings. Nine of Cups is prosperity, abundance, dreams come true: it's the card for "all good things." I don't typically read reversals as being the more "negative" meaning of a card; rather, just that it means something different than it might in upright orientation. I take the reversed Page of Cups and Knight of Pentacles here to be a gentle caution; the Page is usually fruitful new possibilities, and the Knight steady onward progress. Their reversal suggests to me that while the best path for you is the one you think of when you see the Ten of Swords and Nine of Cups, the abundance alluded to by that Nine will not happen overnight. Traditional reversed Page Cups can also be a recommendation to trust your intuition; Knight Pentacles, a journey of self-development and improvement. I think, overall, the message being communicated by both my birds and Demi's is that whichever choice you make, there will be work involved, and a need for patience and the ability to trust yourself and your decision making. You might already know the answer to your dilemma, deep down, and if that's the case, the birds are here telling you they know you know it. :)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Demilich here is a pull for you too, I know it's been rough recently :shobon:

I know you're capable of reading these yourself so I will let you do that without too much backseat cartomancing. But at a glance I see you being in a place where they suggest taking time to work on yourself, finding ways to grow and develop and integrate the lessons from your recent difficulties, and I think that is probably a good idea. From personal experience, that saying about needing to love yourself before being able to really love others can be frustratingly true.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
So, maybe dumb question, I picked up a tarot deck to see it for myself but I've got no idea how it all works or how to do a reading. Do we have a thread here on how to do it? Should I get one of those _ for dummies books on it?

Also probably related, my dreams have been getting weirder and weirder lately. I'm sure my pets waking me up in the middle of the night randomly is putting me into just the right stages of interrupted sleep to mess with REM so I'm remembering them more and more.
In the dream I recall seeing a whitish snake in a pond, just under the water, and then it splashed out of the pond and my waking memory of it now is foggy but I don't think it was trying to strike me as much as get out of the water and I was in its way.
An acquaintance of mine once talked about snakes in dreams being related to the Kundalini and while that's not my personal tradition, I've noticed that the snakes who do appear in my dreams are different now and behave differently from before that idea was suggested to me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Can I get a card pull?

I've gotten myself into a really intense relationship over the past couple of months, I haven't really experienced anything like it before despite being nearly 40. Not just one but a whole bunch of unprecedented things about the person and the situation, for me.

I'll be on this ride till I can't anymore regardless, but I'd be interested in any insight I can get.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

papersack posted:

Agreed, and on the last part, sometimes I start to believe theories in this thread that you choose your life before it even starts. Because it'd make more sense with all the absolutely bat poo poo things going on. Definitely a ride that stays interesting these days.

I've heard some NDErs say that souls who incarnate on Earth are either (1) insane thrill-seekers or (2) among the bravest of all souls, depending on your interpretation of nth power disconnection from any possibility of Knowing.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

chainchompz posted:

So, maybe dumb question, I picked up a tarot deck to see it for myself but I've got no idea how it all works or how to do a reading. Do we have a thread here on how to do it? Should I get one of those _ for dummies books on it?

I mostly lurk this thread but I have numerous friends who really love this book. I learned from a huge pile of old books that all contradicted each other.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I've heard some NDErs say that souls who incarnate on Earth are either (1) insane thrill-seekers or (2) among the bravest of all souls, depending on your interpretation of nth power disconnection from any possibility of Knowing.

truly life on earth is the dark souls of the universe

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

chainchompz posted:

As far as threads, I think you're in it! The witchcraft thread still exists but keeps itself wrapped tightly in as many layers of defensive irony as possible so this is the better place to ask for advice and pointers. As far as books go, if you happen to have the Kindle Unlimited subscription there are more tarot-related titles available there than one could shake some sort of long pointy object at; I did a lot of my tarot self-education through random Unlimited books but there are two websites I've also found particularly useful, biddytarot for quickly double checking my card meanings (I like using the guidebook that came with my deck primarily, but not exclusively, when learning those) and teachmetarot for pursuing some of the deeper associations and card interrelationships.

https://biddytarot.com/tarot-card-meanings/
https://teachmetarot.com/cards/

Slavvy posted:

Can I get a card pull?

I've gotten myself into a really intense relationship over the past couple of months, I haven't really experienced anything like it before despite being nearly 40. Not just one but a whole bunch of unprecedented things about the person and the situation, for me.

I'll be on this ride till I can't anymore regardless, but I'd be interested in any insight I can get.

Two of Wands for you too! Discovery, and development, and investing in a decision. I read the three shared-orientation cards as being a cohesive thought or sentence about the results of that decision (getting into this relationship); like the way we read the cards for Pooky above, we can consider how the reversed meanings affect our reading without perceiving that as the primary reason for the reversals themselves. The Moon is fear and uncertainty, anxiety surrounding the unknown and things that go bump in the dark; reversed sees those anxieties subsiding. Two of Cups is new partnerships and relationships; reversed it can suggest a need to focus on self-love. Four of Cups is a stability that may be on its way to apathy and stagnation; reversed, it advises a time of introspection, or re-evaluating a circumstance. Putting all of this together, I see the bird cards encouraging you in exploring this relationship and seeing where it can lead you, how it might break you out of the patterns from which you have been yearning to escape. To keep things exciting but not scary, remember to keep your wants, needs, and boundaries at the forefront of your mind while things develop between the two of you. Self-love is part of love. Remember that you are important and your goals and desires matter, but while you are remembering that you are safe to shake off the things that have been weighing you down and to begin re-learning how to live. Good luck, Slavvy. Enjoy the ride. :)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Thank you so much, bird

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

shiny bird

https://nuforc.org/sighting/?id=180080

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

could i have a card pull too please?

currently in a bit of a rut and not firing on all cylinders. without going into specifics, but the its the usual physical/mental/emotional/spiritual troughs. plus a sprinkle of aging elderly parents in there too. it's all hitting all at once, as it usually does, but it's a bit much at times. just need a bit of clarity/direction

i will offer a bird for such a reading. thanks

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Goon build any %

Some may recommend a more plant based strat, or even one of several invertebrates, but there's no real need to go too meta unless you're gunning for an ascended master asap

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

NUFORC Note:

Impressive video.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I posted a link to that other awful boomer alien movie so now have a heart warming SQUATCH movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgfkthLpeXw

(edit: nsfw)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Delta-Wye posted:

NUFORC Note:

Impressive video.

No of observers: -13

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
So uh

Lol

Someone post it to the debunking squad

How did they only get like 40 seconds? Or like how do you NOT get zero seconds or not get a lot more than that.

E: like it's gotta be some distortion artifact where the trees move in a huge chunk the way they do

SniperWoreConverse has issued a correction as of 04:09 on Feb 16, 2024

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Slavvy posted:

Can I get a card pull?

I looked up some love spreads and nothing meshed with me, so here's another spread I created:

8 Card Draw presented in 2 rows; top 1-4, bottom 5-8
Instead of writing out fully fledged questions, these areas of interest are meant to evoke considerations and insights with regard to the aspects that come with a relationship.

1. Passion & Connection: 10 of Pentacles (Reversed)
2. Boundaries & Balance: 3 of Pentacles
3. Intimacy & Vulnerability: The High Priestess
4. Growth & Harmony: Page of Pentacles
5. Present Energy & Opportunities: The Hanged Man (R)
6. Strengths & Lessons: The World (R)
7. Communication & Trust: 2 of Swords (R)
8. Essence & Advice: 1 of Cups

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

i thought fatrolling would be an acceptable tradeoff but it turns out obesity debuffs everything and it’s too late to respec. should have spent more time on the wiki before trying to minmax. this build is only good at recognizing how hosed up it and its environment are

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7335837147032718635

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

toggle posted:

could i have a card pull too please?

currently in a bit of a rut and not firing on all cylinders. without going into specifics, but the its the usual physical/mental/emotional/spiritual troughs. plus a sprinkle of aging elderly parents in there too. it's all hitting all at once, as it usually does, but it's a bit much at times. just need a bit of clarity/direction

i will offer a bird for such a reading. thanks

I gotchu as well

King of Wands, The Emperor, 3 of Swords (R)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Anyone see anything else about this
https://x.com/RAEFOSnet/status/1758180797134356541?s=20

As if we need a The Thing scenario on our hands

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

always knew the mountains of madness were real

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Isn't Pravda legendarily full of poo poo though

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
According to wiki the last time it wasn't an ice desert was maybe 10 million years ago

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Tighclops posted:

Isn't Pravda legendarily full of poo poo though

yeah i'm not holding my breath for this to be reported in other sources

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

this would be an unexpected spin on climate change is driving disclosure

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Anyone see anything else about this
https://x.com/RAEFOSnet/status/1758180797134356541?s=20

As if we need a The Thing scenario on our hands

thought immediately of that Buzz Aldrin tweet

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

The Demilich posted:

I gotchu as well

King of Wands, The Emperor, 3 of Swords (R)

thank you :)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The Demilich posted:

I looked up some love spreads and nothing meshed with me, so here's another spread I created:

8 Card Draw presented in 2 rows; top 1-4, bottom 5-8
Instead of writing out fully fledged questions, these areas of interest are meant to evoke considerations and insights with regard to the aspects that come with a relationship.

1. Passion & Connection: 10 of Pentacles (Reversed)
2. Boundaries & Balance: 3 of Pentacles
3. Intimacy & Vulnerability: The High Priestess
4. Growth & Harmony: Page of Pentacles
5. Present Energy & Opportunities: The Hanged Man (R)
6. Strengths & Lessons: The World (R)
7. Communication & Trust: 2 of Swords (R)
8. Essence & Advice: 1 of Cups

Idk how to interpret this because I don't know what the cards are meant to mean, unfortunately. Thanks though!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nothin to see here.

https://x.com/ChrisUKSharp/status/1758279629524042215

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
what kinda busted-rear end UFOs are getting shot down by our primitive systems tho

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Cheap disposable ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

ex post facho posted:

what kinda busted-rear end UFOs are getting shot down by our primitive systems tho

Alternate and maybe scarier possibility: we're not all that far behind, or the technology ceiling is low enough, or physics are simply physics, such that our development level doesn't matter after a certain point

The apes have missiles and nuclear technology, observe at your own peril, if they get you nobody's coming to rescue you