Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Deified Data posted:

The pro move for the OP here is to just look at whatever SIL signed up for, prepare a legit version of whatever prank food you know SIL is bringing, then just ignore him all night. It's not really a funny prank anymore (not that it ever was) when he realizes no one actually expects him to follow through and just plan around his prank. People like that hate being ignored more than anything.

Better yet, assume he's not going to bring anything but prank food and have food made/brought accordingly for everyone except him.

Let him eat his prank food or go hungry.

If he gets mad claim it was an hilarious prank and he just can't take a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Qylvaran posted:

I have a problem with misappropriation of the term "potluck". A potluck should be entirely uncoordinated. If you end up with six desserts or five salads and a loaf of bread, that's just the luck of the pot. Maybe the host provides a "default" entree in case everyone makes mashed potatoes. My church tried to do something last time with assignments by last name, and it just wasn't right.

I tend to agree for potlucks above a certain threshold of participants. High school potlucks and church potlucks ruled because you could try all kinds of wild poo poo your parents never cooked, or just variations on things they did cook you’d never seen before, and the number of people participating just made it statistically safe to not coordinate a drat thing besides the time and place. But the smaller the group, well, I just can’t get by on a dinner of Doritos and Jello and cake the way I used to.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Maybe the SIL was protesting the cultural appropriation then

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Sounds like time for SIL to bring his friend Slim Jim Guy to the potluck

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

:discourse:

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Are we sure it's not the Minecraft guy trying to get rid of his mansion's increasingly stale wall candy?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

ponzicar posted:

Are we sure it's not the Minecraft guy trying to get rid of his mansion's increasingly stale wall candy?

Ah, Notch. In case anyone forgot:

Kinda sad we've never gotten an r/relationships: I went out with a millionaire but he had a candy wall. Should I keep seeing him?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

needs mayo

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Foosball grandmaster playing four simultaneous games against himself

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Admiral Joeslop posted:

AITAH for telling my son that if he's uncomfortable about his sister not wearing a bra then he should cover up too?

This one is an amazing honeypot because so many men straight up admit in the comments that they're horny for their sisters and moms.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

This one is an amazing honeypot because so many men straight up admit in the comments that they're horny for their sisters and moms.

My Valet: Forks for the eyes and ears, sir?
Me: Have you anything for the brain?
My Valet: The brain, sir?
Me: For the dispersal of unwanted knowledges within, good man.
My Valet: I'm dreadfully sorry, sir, I have only the forks.
Me: Then I shall make do. Thank you, leave them with me.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Brawnfire posted:

lol

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Brawnfire posted:

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Stoner Sloth posted:

Better yet, assume he's not going to bring anything but prank food and have food made/brought accordingly for everyone except him.

Let him eat his prank food or go hungry.

If he gets mad claim it was an hilarious prank and he just can't take a joke.

Why not just not let him claim stuff? Like erase his name in the doc and if he protests point out that he decided to play a joke last time and so he won't be taken seriously in the future?

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Silly Newbie posted:

Why not just not let him claim stuff? Like erase his name in the doc and if he protests point out that he decided to play a joke last time and so he won't be taken seriously in the future?

its funnier if he has to eat a candy salad while being totally not mad about it while everyone else just has dinner

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The counterpoint is if he's actually angling for an excuse to eat a candy salad. No, it's not about me, I'm not researching possibilities for candy salads I could eat right now

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

trickybiscuits posted:

While I'm complaining, why are parents on those shows so reluctant to physically pick up their misbehaving child and put them in the carseat or on the time-out step or something? I just watched a Jo Frost Family Matters episode with a mom whose four-year-old was sitting in an open window and her response was to hold on to the back of his shirt and tell him he was being silly. Lift him out of the window! Don't allow him to put himself in danger! You are the adult!

I love those shows, but they drive me up a wall.

There's a couple reasons for it, but probably the most common is parents wanting to be their child's best friend without realizing this is not actually possible for a child this young. They might just not remember how they were raised during their early childhood and assume they always had the amount of autonomy they had in their teenage years. Or the other way round, their parents were way too strict for too long and they want to make things better. And while it's obvious that a toddler can't have the same amount of autonomy as a fifteen year old teen, the human brain works in absolutes. You wouldn't tell your teenager how to dress, so you won't do it for the toddler either.

Problem is, toddlers are very silly and very often not even aware of the consequences of their actions. A teenager knows they could fall out of an open window they're sitting in (but thinks that clearly this would never happen to them and their parents just really need to get off their case), and has the motion control to prevent most accidents. They are aware of the things that could happen and have decided to take this risk. The toddler has spontaneously decided that sitting in an open window looks like fun. They have no idea that they could fall out of the window, or that they could die or get hurt if they did. This is a level of awareness and planning ahead that they haven't reached yet. "If I sit in the window, my parents will grab me and put me on the floor and tell me I'm not allowed to do that because I could get hurt" is the best they can do at this point.

Toddler me was told not to touch the stove because it was hot and would hurt me. I listened very intently to my mother, then slowly put my hands closer and closer to find out the exact point of where I wasn't allowed to touch the stove, and probably also because I was curious what that would be like. Then when it got warmer I looked up and confirmed "Hot". That seemed to satisfy my curiosity and I didn't touch the stove again. Boundary established.

Another common reason is that small children don't like being stopped from doing things. The toddler has decided that they want to sit in the window. Sitting in the window is the singular most important thing in the world right now, and will be for at least ten minutes, so an eternity. When their parent grabs them and places them on the floor, they're keeping them from sitting in the window. This is not acceptable. Cue tantrum. So you have the option of an angry screaming toddler because you wouldn't let them fall out of the window, or you let them do whatever they want so they're happy.

An example I read about once was picking clothes. Obviously you'll let your teenager dress themselves. Hell, even if it's for some formal event and they insist they absolutely have to wear their favorite band shirt. Sure, go ahead. Might teach you a valuable lesson about feeling super awkward and underdressed. You might encourage an older child to please wear something more appropriate for grandma's birthday, you might put your foot down and say you're not leaving the house dressed like that, but they can in general be trusted to pick out clothing for themselves.

A kindergartener can not be trusted to do that. Kindergartens constantly have to deal with children arriving in ballet dresses in the middle of winter because "they really wanted to wear that". Then it's time to play outdoors and whoops, child refused to bring a coat, hat or mittens because they're a pretty princess. Because like an older child, they had the entire wardrobe to choose from, and unlike an older child, they didn't have enough awareness of the world around them to know that this is a bad idea. So the child wanted the pretty princess dress, the parent said "But don't you want the nice sweater?" and the child insisted on the pretty princess dress and here we are. We need to leave the house on time after all, tantrums take long and it's disruptive and also you wouldn't want your child to hate you, would you?

The example also had the perfect solution for this problem: Don't ask a kindergartener what they want to wear, ask them "Do you want to wear the red sweater or the blue one?". Kid still has a choice and input, but within acceptable parameters.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Except when the child ignores those two options and demands pretty princess because gently caress you they know it exists.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

Except when the child ignores those two options and demands pretty princess because gently caress you they know it exists.

Kids ain't dumb, they'll do this.

Even if they dont even own a pretty princess dress

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Brawnfire posted:

Masterful.

I had the valet speaking like the caretaker Delbert Grady from the Kubrick version of the Shining.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Josef bugman posted:

Yeah this idea still requires you to exert a minimum of authority over your child. Most parenting does.

Unless you want to end up like my parents' neighbors, who's parenting style I have dubbed "Counting Jimmys" (name changed). Whenever little Jimmy does something he shouldn't, you can hear them: "Jimmy, stop this! Jimmy, you have until the count of three! Jimmy, one! Jimmy, two! Jimmy, you need to stop this! Jimmy, one! Jimmy, two! Jimmy, I'm serious here! Jimmy, one!"

They never reached three throughout his entire childhood.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Josef bugman posted:

A friend once showed me a photo of herself, from the day she was born, and in that photo her brother (5-6 yo at the time) can be seen wearing his underwear on the outside of his trousers. Because her dad had said to the older kids that, because they're celebrating the birth of their new sister, they get to wear whatever they want that day, so her brother decided he's gonna wear his underwear on the outside. Because why not.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Mx. posted:

i guess eating yourself to death with slim jims is cheaper than alcoholism, but is it worth it?

Cheaper, slower, and guarantees a more painful, embarrassing and messy death.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Shanghaied posted:

A friend once showed me a photo of herself, from the day she was born, and in that photo her brother (5-6 yo at the time) can be seen wearing his underwear on the outside of his trousers. Because her dad had said to the older kids that, because they're celebrating the birth of their new sister, they get to wear whatever they want that day, so her brother decided he's gonna wear his underwear on the outside. Because why not.

This kid rules

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Basically, very young children can be expected to find a new form of power to go mad with on an almost daily basis.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Basically, very young children can be expected to find a new form of power to go mad with on an almost daily basis.

When my oldest was getting potty trained I swear she always kept a poo poo locked and loaded because for around 3 months she would misbehave, get admonished and just run to the little training potty we had, take a massive dump then run around singing "you have to wipe me you have to wipe me"

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They have basically no autonomy, so the first power they have is what goes in their mouth. After that, it's clothing.

My almost-6 year old learned the lesson about not dressing appropriately now that we walk/bike to school daily. He wears pants much more willingly when he realizes he will be cold instead of wearing shorts like he prefers. But it took letting him go in shorts on a day that he really shouldn't have

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Letting kids do a non-injurious but painful/uncomfortable action they were very keen upon after recommending they don't do it usually sorts out a lot of need for hovering over them.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
What a bunch of weirdoes, who wears clothes in their own home when you don’t have guests? But then again a lot of you don’t take of your shoes even. On paternity leave currently me and my daughter practically live on the floor. And who cares about what a child is or isn’t wearing unless they need it because it’s cold or whatever.

Your job as a parent isn’t to prevent them from ever falling, it’s to make sure they don’t land to hard and then help them up afterwards.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It makes more sense to dress for the season and temperature than to adjust your thermostat a bunch

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I simply spawned 100 children and stopped giving a poo poo, some will probably survive.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Letting kids do a non-injurious but painful/uncomfortable action they were very keen upon after recommending they don't do it usually sorts out a lot of need for hovering over them.

Natural consequences are the best, it's true.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Benagain posted:

I simply spawned 100 children and stopped giving a poo poo, some will probably survive.

Tragically my only survivor was the one now battling an endless parade of prisoners on a pyramid, but at least he's nobodies pushover.

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010
I'm time-traveling, because dick is plentiful and cheap was a concept in the medieval times, and it just made me think of this thread;
GRAPHIC DEPICTION OF GENITALIA

Someone might've posted it before, I'm from a year and a half ago.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

the holy poopacy posted:

I'm great at going sober, I've done it 12 times!

Sir, that's not how the 12 step program works...

Hellblazer187 posted:

Being clingy and posting about your feelings on tiktok is weird but the insistence on taking the video down and the only communicating via the partner is exponentially weirder IMO.

It is, but could imply one of many things:

- She's put videos up before without her friends' consent/knowledge & caused problems in the group
- Her partner is possibly enabling the behavior or refuses to address it
- The friends know she'll melt down or try to excuse her behavior/actions if confronted

I mean, she said herself she included 'super bowl' because she knew the algorithm would pick it up & her video would get noticed. This ain't her first rodeo but her soon-to-be ex friends might make it her last.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
People keep talking about how much of a dick move the tiktok video was, but is it any worse than posting on reddit about it? Both are venting through social media, possibly for attention-- at least the tiktok post is fairly anonymous and general.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

People keep talking about how much of a dick move the tiktok video was, but is it any worse than posting on reddit about it? Both are venting through social media, possibly for attention-- at least the tiktok post is fairly anonymous and general.

We must be working off different definitions of anonymous, because her face is clearly visible in that video. Anyone that knows her will immediately know all parties involved.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Barudak posted:

Tragically my only survivor was the one now battling an endless parade of prisoners on a pyramid, but at least he's nobodies pushover.

This Q*bert remake seems a bit bleak.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Barudak posted:

Sounds like he was The One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

There's been a ton of way less identifiable relationships posts that ended with the OP's partner finding it and either breaking up with them on the spot or offering a hilarious rebuttal, helldump had its reversals of fortune reddit has anyone in your real life getting wind you've been airing your dirty laundry to a hooting gallery of internet strangers idk where you got the idea any of this poo poo was normal or socially acceptable behavior

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 16, 2024