Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

I don't know any of those names, other than Jennifer Hale.

The shot on the upper right looks funny. Were they infiltrating a sports team? Also Jean is pregnant I guess, so don't expect any good plots from her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

cant cook creole bream posted:

The shot on the upper right looks funny. Were they infiltrating a sports team? Also Jean is pregnant I guess, so don't expect any good plots from her.

One of the core tenets of Xavier's School was extracurricular sports. Seriously. They were always playing sports.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is "Gambit charges Wolverine's claws up" something that has been done before because it is a hilariously bad/funny idea that I'm shocked I haven't seen before.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

HOT CLAWS

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ImpAtom posted:

Is "Gambit charges Wolverine's claws up" something that has been done before because it is a hilariously bad/funny idea that I'm shocked I haven't seen before.

He did in Ultimate X-Men when they were fighting but didn't blow them up.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

cant cook creole bream posted:

Never read X-Men, huh? They play softball like all the time.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 15, 2024

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So cross-referencing with IMDB, the only returnees seem to be Wolverine, Beast, Rogue, Nightcrawler, and Storm. Of those, Storm you hear the age of in the trailer, and Cal Dodd, I worry he either forgot the tone he used for Wolverine or worse he just can't do the performance anymore. All that snarling seems like it'd be very demanding.

A lot of the original cast of the X-Men are still around and working (although Magneto's voice is dead), but haven't been brought back. The only one I think there might be a good reason for is Jubilee, since they're casting an asian person and I think they're trying harder to depict her racial diversity. The "kid" character having her voice change now that she's an adult is more normal anyways. Recasting the other characers I suspect is probably more because to Disney Plus's perspective, the VAs are a bunch of Canadian nobodies who also all sound kinda weird, so they're not going to work very hard to bring them back when they could just get some Americans that they already have working relationships with.

I've been kinda annoyed about blandness in voice acting lately, and the X-Men animated series's very eccentric voice acting and direction was a very important to the vibe. I'm going to be critical if the new show doesn't live up to it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As mentioned, Cyclops’s original VA also passed away. Not sure about the remainder of the ones they couldn’t get back though (I assume Jubilee’s is likely too old to convincingly play a teenager at this point)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Larryb posted:

As mentioned, Cyclops’s original VA also passed away. Not sure about the remainder of the ones they couldn’t get back though (I assume Jubilee’s is likely too old to convincingly play a teenager at this point)

The actors playing Bart and Lisa where in their 20s when they first got the job and are currently about 60 and still doing it.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Yeah and they don’t sound great

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Air Skwirl posted:

The actors playing Bart and Lisa where in their 20s when they first got the job and are currently about 60 and still doing it.

Good point, is any of the remaining OG X-Men cast still acting out of curiosity then?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Looks... rough.

ImpAtom posted:

It's certainly an idea you can try at least once but assuming he doesn't lose his claws by blowing them apart, isn't doing that still basically like punching somebody with grenades strapped to your fists? That can't be fun for Wolverine even if it won't be lethal.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lobok posted:

That can't be fun for Wolverine even if it won't be lethal.

Wolverine.txt

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah uhh maybe they should have recast Wolverine

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rogue's VA did a stint as a member of the Canadian Parliament. Wild.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The only thing missing from the teaser is "Previously on X-Men."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

The only thing missing from the teaser is "Previously on X-Men."

Hopefully the first episode opens with one then (I’d be surprised if it didn’t)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

i will miss Jean's VA. She was also in Resident Evil 3 as Jill. I liked her a lot in both roles, at least when I was growing up with them.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

MorningMoon posted:

the model work and the post-processing is incredible, amazing work

it animates like poo poo

The thing is, the original show was pretty ugly pretty often too, so on balance it creates a kind of nonequivalent balance in terms of overall aesthetic

to me at least

I'll be honest, none of Marvel Studio's animated stuff has looked particularly good. I'd describe What If as serviceable. Maybe that'll change with Spider-Man? But this looks good enough to watch, just like What If was, and the fact that it comes from ugly heritage means it bothers me even less

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

i will miss Jean's VA. She was also in Resident Evil 3 as Jill. I liked her a lot in both roles, at least when I was growing up with them.

The new actress is apparently the same one who played her in Wolverine and the X-Men however

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Larryb posted:

The new actress is apparently the same one who played her in Wolverine and the X-Men however

That makes sense. It's also just frickin' Jennifer Hale who is in basically everything. Which is fine, I like her a lot. She's great in Metal Gear, great in 90s Spiderman as Black Cat, great as Femshep in Mass Effect - she's awesome.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah, even when a project is bad Hale is a bright spot. I do wonder, only half seriously, if they got her because with Jean being pregnant means she won't be out in the field much so they don't have to pay her union rates all the time.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The only bad Hale performance I can remember was in the GameCube remake of MGS (she sounded like she was half asleep for most of the recording session)

Are there any other X-Men alumni among the new cast for that matter?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 days!)

looks great to me. Any idea how many episodes its going to be.

now please make a new season of 90's Spider-man so he can finally find Mary Jane and crossover one more time with the 90's X-men

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I'm nervous but optimistic.
Also is it me or does Jean look a bit less like her TAS design and more like an aged up Evolution Jean?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

GateOfD posted:

looks great to me. Any idea how many episodes its going to be.

now please make a new season of 90's Spider-man so he can finally find Mary Jane and crossover one more time with the 90's X-men

Well there is this shot from the trailer:

https://imgur.com/jBqVzNb

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

((In Stereo))

Edit: Beast got a loving giga-wedgie there. Holy gently caress.

deoju fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 16, 2024

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Larryb posted:

Well there is this shot from the trailer:

https://imgur.com/jBqVzNb

The mention of mutant fashion and the hellfire gala being an open event also point to Krakoa being a thing,

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

The mention of mutant fashion and the hellfire gala being an open event also point to Krakoa being a thing,

The showrunner has said in the past he doesn't like the Krakoa run, and Marvel already did an X-Men TAS version of it in the comics a few years ago. But who knows

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 16, 2024

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I know I sure don't like the whole Mutant separatism and immortal space empire thing. I feel like a lot of Marvel comics big fantasy takes on international politics never come off well.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
if the real world is any indicator there'd probably be a sizeable, loud, if maybe still ineffective crowd of humans who support mutant rights

The mutant ethnostate solution is kinda garbage in a vacuum, but I think it works in context because they keep getting killed en mass, and the only people that object are a handful of other non-mutant superheroes and human X-Men allies. The line was in a particular dire space (both quality wise and universe-wise) right before HOXPOX too.

I've just finished a re-read of Immortal Hulk and am struck by how the Hulk(s) also have an arguably undeserved bad reputation, given his minimal bodycount, yet every now and then he gets a reprieve in the court of public opinion, whereas the general sentiment with mutants never seems to stray far from "gently caress em". There's probably something to be explored about why Hulk and mutantkind aren't better allies, too, considering how part of the reason Banner's dad treated him like garbage essentially from the day he was born and created the psychological goo that the Hulks emerged from was anti-mutant paranoia.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

if the real world is any indicator there'd probably be a sizeable, loud, if maybe still ineffective crowd of humans who support mutant rights

The mutant ethnostate solution is kinda garbage in a vacuum, but I think it works in context because they keep getting killed en mass, and the only people that object are a handful of other non-mutant superheroes and human X-Men allies. The line was in a particular dire space (both quality wise and universe-wise) right before HOXPOX too.

I've just finished a re-read of Immortal Hulk and am struck by how the Hulk(s) also have an arguably undeserved bad reputation, given his minimal bodycount, yet every now and then he gets a reprieve in the court of public opinion, whereas the general sentiment with mutants never seems to stray far from "gently caress em". There's probably something to be explored about why Hulk and mutantkind aren't better allies, too, considering how part of the reason Banner's dad treated him like garbage essentially from the day he was born and created the psychological goo that the Hulks emerged from was anti-mutant paranoia.

I think the thing is that The Hulk had a deservedly bad reputation. He doesn't kill people (except when he does) but he causes an absolutely staggering amount of damage. Logically a huge chunk of that would be reduced if people would leave him the gently caress alone, but Bruce Banner was not a particularly healthy individual mentally even before Hulk became a thing and it is entirely possible for him to have a snap. Like one of the ongoing things about The Hulk is that Bruce is arguably the more dangerous of the two sides.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

It's something I've seen people online criticizing forever, why there are a zillion superhumans and poo poo in Marvel but only Mutants are perpetually on the cusp of genocide.

Also even in the old cartoon, wasn't the mutant ethnostate tried? Asteroid M? Ruined by the dork with the super whiny voice. It was an awesomely "this guy is a total slimeball who will betray you" voice, though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's been tried multiple times and it went horribly wrong multiple times. I think the only canon time when mutants were killed en masse was when the Tri-Sentinel killed off Genosha (which prior to Magneto establishing it as a new Mutant state was a cross between a criticism of apartheid South Africa and A Handmaiden's Tale). The next mutant state was after Scarlet Witch de-mutanted all mutants except for nearly all named characters, and Cyclops led them to take over an island off the coast of California, and Wolverine decided that was dumb and formed a spliter group to go back to Westchester to start up the Xavier school again. It was cool to see Wolverine become a soccer mom, but the island stories were pretty lame.

There's a weird back and forth where they keep jumping way far ahead with the status of mutants and then feeling the need to pare things way back so they can have stories where the characters are scrappy underdogs again instead of budding imperial powers, and they toss around horrible atrocities mucking around with the endless mobs of unnamed background extras, but that usually the actual named characters are left nearly untouched except for one or two tokens, and even those get better after a little while. It really jumps around a lot, and the bigger and huger the new changes of status, the harder it is to humor them. It's just too far out of relatable territory.

But also I think that mutants self-segregating and becoming their own state pushes the X-Men way far away from both the anti-racism message (I'm not a fan of the Liberia solution), and it kinda sabotages the internationalism that was a hallmark of the X-Men ever since Prof X had to assemble a new team out of mutants from around the world to save the old team from a funky island. If anything, it seems like after trying and failing to turn Inhumans into the new Mutants, now they're making Mutants into the new Inhumans. And the Inhumans suck.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/kerry_comcgrl77/status/1758267923364216910?s=20

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
no longer interested

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Cyclops' island off the coast of San Francisco actually was made out of Asteroid M, which had apparently crashed there (which, an asteroid that intact after going through the atmosphere would have created a tidal wave large enough to drown most of the bay area)

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I want some news on the new Batman show.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For sure, X-Men '97 and Batman Caped Crusader, maybe 1992 will finally have some competition!

(That's my special nostalgia time folks, I was 6 and I was ready for some cool action with lasers and capes or whatever)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nanigans posted:

I want some news on the new Batman show.

Have we even got any other images from that yet besides the title logo with Batman in the background?