Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
here lies talon: she was around until she wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Abroham Lincoln posted:

two xaviers, each one competing to see who can be the bigger bastard

Kate Pryde is brought in as a referee to decide which one is the biggest jerk.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

McGurk posted:

I read all these recently for some reason. I’d previously read New X-Men and Wolverine but the rest was mostly new to me.

Joe Casey’s run was kind of odd and didn’t really feel like X-Men to me. X-Corps all over the world is a neat idea but it fizzles out.

Austen’s stuff is awful but it started out okay! The stuff with the fish kid and Juggernaut was cute.

New Mutants was not bad - some low-key first appearances of characters that I know have stuck around. I don’t think I would have been happy reading this as it came out if I was a big New Mutants fan though. The Josh Middleton covers are great.

X-Treme had some good moments with Rogue, Gambit and Storm but I really don’t care about Sage or Bishop that much. Claremont at the very least is the only writer in this era that seems to care about continuity. It’s somewhat futile but he brings up lots of the events in Uncanny and New now and then.

I completely understand why people recommend just moving from AoA/Onslaught to New X-Men to Astonishing. In the end, I’m probably only keeping New X-Men on my shelf. On to the House of M era!

As a HUGE New Mutants fan, I've enjoyed every run of the comic except the Lethal Legion book.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Talon was the biggest loving whiffed idea. There's an absolutely fantastic story in she and Synch being stuck in the vault for hundreds of years, him keeping his memories and her not, then the realization that her original self never really died, they're together again, they kick around for a couple years and we get the weirdness of Laura not only being a clone of Logan but essentially a younger clone of herself, the weirdness of Laura essentially pulling a Cable and being older than her father now, how Talon fits in with the whole Wolverine family, then (and I'll spoiler this for people who haven't read 31, I didn't myself til yesterday) Talon dies and Synch holds her in his head for like a year, and that becomes his thing where he can't use the full extents of his powers because he's got the woman he loves more than anything stuck inside his head and he won't let her go, and then he has to let her go to save the day, and now every time he looks at the remaining Laura he's gonna be destroyed all over again but instead of giving us like a year of that we got about 1 issue, and the adventure of Synch and Talon going to counter-earth to rob the High Evolutionary could have been 2 or 3 full issues but instead was about 10 pages and largely took place off-page with us only seeing tiny snippets of what they did, and Talon interacted with Other Laura for about 4 panels total, they didn't get a chance to come to terms with each other at all, and poor Gabby might as well have stayed dead for all this era's done with her.

And I guess the overall point I'm making is Duggan just went from the "not too hot on this writer" category in my head to the "this guy sucks" one. Though who's to say if editorial isn't to blame. If I had gently caress You Money I'd commission someone to write and draw a "Talon and Synch in the Vault" and a "Talon and Synch on Counter-Earth" mini series for me so that those two glossed-over bits could at least get the breathing room I feel they deserve. Maybe a whole "Wolverines" slice-of-life comic just set in between the various crises on Krakoa.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Diet Poison posted:

And I guess the overall point I'm making is Duggan just went from the "not too hot on this writer" category in my head to the "this guy sucks" one. Though who's to say if editorial isn't to blame. If I had gently caress You Money I'd commission someone to write and draw a "Talon and Synch in the Vault" and a "Talon and Synch on Counter-Earth" mini series for me so that those two glossed-over bits could at least get the breathing room I feel they deserve. Maybe a whole "Wolverines" slice-of-life comic just set in between the various crises on Krakoa.

Everything post Fall of X has felt weirdly paced, both too fast and too slow somehow. I'm not sure if it's a side effect of the uncanceled books moving at a fairly leisurely pace while the miniseries had a lot less room to breathe, or something else, but this "era" has felt a whole lot less coherent than the other ones, even as the storytelling of this one is a lot more focused around a single concept.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Count me in on the "Fall of X feels like someone is angrily yelling at the writers to wrap it up" department. With the exception of Iron Man (which was doing it's own more more focused thing all along) and Immortal (which feels like the most direct continuation of Sins of Sinister, too) the whole line has a bit a frenzied feel right now

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
for me it feels like there's not enough of orchis being a thing everywhere in daily life in the non x line. when they did this story for secret empire it was a line wide event and having hydra everywhere was actually a deal, and i think some the impact of what's supposed to be happening as this like, global takeover, is getting lost

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I do think that they had to wrap everything up a lot faster than they anticipated when Breevort was announced as being moved over to the line.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Question for today's Fall of the house of X: when did Nimrod get frozen in that gold stuff? Last I remember he attacked Spidey and Ms Marvel but Shadowkat was able to phase them all to safety. Is this one of those things that happened in Unlimited?

I'm liking Polaris more and more.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Question for today's Fall of the house of X: when did Nimrod get frozen in that gold stuff? Last I remember he attacked Spidey and Ms Marvel but Shadowkat was able to phase them all to safety. Is this one of those things that happened in Unlimited?

Last issue lol

Caros
May 14, 2008

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Sliding time scale stuff. Much like wolverine can be in five places at once, that stuff was technically happening before fall, even though it came out after.

Nimrod took a swing at killing Krakoa in fall of x 1 and it spit 'amber' on him (Amber does not work this way) which was apparently incredibly effective given that it is the most anyone has slowed nimrod down in the whole bloody line.

Nice to see that 'kill no man' stopped being a thing even for Nightcrawler. I get them pulling their punches when they can afford to, but not fanking Orchis during such a critical moment would just feel off.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Glad we got to see Manifold return.

But he was also my guess for one of the people with Xavier. So that last person is who? Gotta be Sinister, right?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Caros posted:

Nice to see that 'kill no man' stopped being a thing even for Nightcrawler. I get them pulling their punches when they can afford to, but not fanking Orchis during such a critical moment would just feel off.
Well, Krakoa as a nation doesn't exist, so why should its laws?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Caros posted:

I get them pulling their punches when they can afford to, but not fanking Orchis during such a critical moment would just feel off. [/spoiler]

it's funny you say that since there is a moment when it specifically points out polaris letting some orchis escape for no real reason at all

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Polaris calling themselves the new master of magnetism, while a 'Resurrection of Magneto' comic is coming out tickled me.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
On that topic, for folks who didn't pick up Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver this week...something Magneto-related seems to be happening over there. Now, it's probably a bit early to jump the BIO DAD gun, and the issue even pokes some light fun at that notion. But the tl;dr is that something -- with emphasis on the thing -- is trying to drive a wedge between Wanda and Pietro, and it did so by using a letter that Magneto wrote (but apparently never sent) that was apparently so lovely to Pietro that Wanda destroyed it before allowing him to see (which just made Pietro even angrier) (which was apparently all according to the letter-sender's keikaku all along)

Wanda tries to magically sense who exactly sent the letter, and her senses get overwhelmed by a vision of something she describes as "endless," "a scale beyond even imagination's field of vision," that tried to engulf her. She's then attacked by the Wizard, who apparently also saw the entity and is now acting on its behalf, and says that it has a grand design that they can't comprehend, and that Wanda's chaos can't be allowed to spread.

:tinfoil:

Now...1-3 odds that Steve Orlando's just bringing back some random D-list mystical elder god chthon whatsis thingy from the 60s or whatever to mess with Wanda. We do see a silhouette of the...entity?...and it looks very angelic, which doesn't feel like any particularly noteworthy character we know. But the actual way that the thing is described...endless and ineffable, the abyss staring back, toying with events from behind the scenes.......sure does feel like Enigma, doesn't it.

Idk. Maybe my vibes are being biased by wishful thinking. I blame Adder Moray for seeding the idea that Enigma would be messing with the lives of characters like Franklin
, and now I can't stop thinking what a cool idea that would be. I wonder if anyone else got the impression or if I'm just way off-base here. oh wait nvm disregard all that, apparently it's just the Griever. Lame! Can't believe you all got my hopes up like that.
:colbert:

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 15, 2024

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh, a character from slott's ff run that i don't plan to ever read. yawn.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Anyway, FotPoX was fine, but feels somewhat rushed. Not only in the art department (Werneck is usually god-tier, but there are some strange panels here. There's one where Wolverine is just bloodily stabbing at...nothing, and Cyclops is also being executed in what I can only assume is a featureless void instead of Paris, France) but also in the sense that it feels like they're speedrunning certain parts of the story, which is weird because this and the main Duggan X-Men book are both pretty much just the same book, so it's not as if they ran out of room to show things instead of telling them. But like, Firestar's cover apparently got blown off-panel, and there are multiple other things happening here that evidently happen in books that haven't come out yet, so even the fun things that happen in this issue felt a little confusing.

They also keep talking in the issue about the mission becoming a disaster and how everything is falling apart, but like...things seem to be going fine, actually? Not perfectly, but also not that bad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Anyway, FotPoX was fine, but feels somewhat rushed. Not only in the art department (Werneck is usually god-tier, but there are some strange panels here. There's one where Wolverine is just bloodily stabbing at...nothing, and Cyclops is also being executed in what I can only assume is a featureless void instead of Paris, France) but also in the sense that it feels like they're speedrunning certain parts of the story, which is weird because this and the main Duggan X-Men book are both pretty much just the same book, so it's not as if they ran out of room to show things instead of telling them. But like, Firestar's cover apparently got blown off-panel, and there are multiple other things happening here that evidently happen in books that haven't come out yet, so even the fun things that happen in this issue felt a little confusing.

They also keep talking in the issue about the mission becoming a disaster and how everything is falling apart, but like...things seem to be going fine, actually? Not perfectly, but also not that bad.

Yeah, I got the same feeling. Art was weird and it was just things happening referencing things that supposedly happened and I either missed or were off panel? Unclear! Maybe the story will become more clear as the two series do their things, but it does feel like they're trying to tie up a lot of storylines in short order.

Also, Wanda's words indicate that whatever the letter said was hurtful to them BOTH, but she was saving Pietro from it, since she said he'd have done the same if he saw it first.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was just thinking 'they're burning down the whole setting for this?' the whole time. :|

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv3Ss8o9gGQ

Oh baby

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

This rocks

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I like the animation style A LOT more than I expected. The frame rate makes it look like the cheap animation of the original, there’s something endearing about that.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

I did, like 4 fist pumps while watching this.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the bastards punched me right in the childhood nostalgia

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I'm not gonna lie and say that seeing that trailer didn't get me excited, but I really wish that they were using these resources for a new animated show, not just coasting on the reputation of one from 30 years ago. X-Men's at its best when it's doing something new.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Oh I wouldn't worry about that. I'm sure the X-Men floodgates are gonna open up pretty soon.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I was vibing with the trailer pretty good until I hit the Wolverine voice. It'll probably be fine once I get used to it but having heard COVERED WITH SCORPIONS one hundred times, I was always going to be thrown by that. Weirdly jarring considering it's the same actor but it has been 20+ years so fair enough.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rochallor posted:

I'm not gonna lie and say that seeing that trailer didn't get me excited, but I really wish that they were using these resources for a new animated show, not just coasting on the reputation of one from 30 years ago. X-Men's at its best when it's doing something new.

Or at least bringing back X-Men Evolution which is far more worthy. '97 got wrapped up pretty well.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Wow that got me a lot more than I thought it would. Looks cool.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Maduo posted:

I was vibing with the trailer pretty good until I hit the Wolverine voice. It'll probably be fine once I get used to it but having heard COVERED WITH SCORPIONS one hundred times, I was always going to be thrown by that. Weirdly jarring considering it's the same actor but it has been 20+ years so fair enough.

"Covered with scorpions" was my Twitter bio for a decade. That scene is the most batshit interpretation of a character ever.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Dawgstar posted:

Or at least bringing back X-Men Evolution which is far more worthy. '97 got wrapped up pretty well.

I dunno if X-Men Evolution was just too much of a micro-generational thing to inspire much nostalgia for, but I am totally surprised nothing from that show made the jump to comics. Justice for goth Rogue!

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Rochallor posted:

I dunno if X-Men Evolution was just too much of a micro-generational thing to inspire much nostalgia for, but I am totally surprised nothing from that show made the jump to comics. Justice for goth Rogue!
X-23???????

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Yeah lol it introduced one of the most important/popular aspects of X-Men Lore of the past 25 years

Also, still slowly making my way through Krakoa era (whatever parts NYPL has to check out). Just read Way/Legion of X and it was some of my favorite stuff. I’ve always been eh on Spurrier in the past, but these stories were really well done to me! It’s a little heady, a little meta, a little fantasy/science, big ideas. Light Morrison, I’d even call it. Wish it went on longer!

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Fritzler posted:

X-23???????

Laura went through a lot of rustling about before her character settled into place, and I don't think her X-Men Evo is particularly indicative of what her character ended up as, even if the plot point specifics don't vary that much

Probably because you can never really depict Wolverine (any Wolverine) in their natural element in a cartoon show aimed for kids

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

Laura went through a lot of rustling about before her character settled into place, and I don't think her X-Men Evo is particularly indicative of what her character ended up as

This is true of every fictional shared universe franchise character, ever.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

OnimaruXLR posted:

Laura went through a lot of rustling about before her character settled into place, and I don't think her X-Men Evo is particularly indicative of what her character ended up as, even if the plot point specifics don't vary that much

Probably because you can never really depict Wolverine (any Wolverine) in their natural element in a cartoon show aimed for kids

I don't think that changes the fact that she was created for X-Men Evolution and then appeared in the comics, written by the same people who wrote her into the show.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Yeah I totally whiffed on Laura, fair enough. I never actually saw any of the episodes she was in, my strongest memories of it are from the first season. There's some wild stuff that happens later on though, I think Mystique gets turned to stone and Rogue pushes her off of a cliff on Apocalypse's orders?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

OnimaruXLR posted:

Making out with everyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Blockhouse posted:

I don't think that changes the fact that she was created for X-Men Evolution and then appeared in the comics, written by the same people who wrote her into the show.

Although Laura's original introduction to the world of comics was certainly a choice.