Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The bats in the sewer can gently caress right off. I'm going to assume I missed a piece of blind resist gear because otherwise I don't see how that poo poo got out of play testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Gaius Marius posted:

The bats in the sewer can gently caress right off. I'm going to assume I missed a piece of blind resist gear because otherwise I don't see how that poo poo got out of play testing.

Koudelka?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Parasite Eve. They have an attack that blinds you that comes out very quick, has a wide area of effect, and you fight them in small tunnels. Very tedious to have to keep healing blind or trying to dodge around them

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Buck Wildman posted:

silent hill ended two decades ago I don't really care about it much less think its honor needs defending. to everything there is a season

Personally, I probably would have dropped this particular torch had we not nearly gotten a fresh and creepy take on the franchise from Kojima. Granted, I have little faith Konami will ever right that misstep, and will probably be perfectly happy with whatever OD ends up being instead, but it's difficult not to hold out hope that one day someone with talent and vision will get a crack at Silent Hill.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly I feel like even if Silent Hills had ended up being a thing, it still would have been Silent Hill in name only. It probably would have at least been good, but still basically its own thing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

*deedleedeedeet* James, it's Pyramid Headman. As you know, I'm the manifestation of your guilt and desire for punishment

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

As someone who likes Silent Hill but doesn't have any sort of nostalgic or emotional attachment to it I find that the fan base has built up their ideal Silent Hill sequel/remake in their minds so much that nothing will actually be able to live up to the expectations they hold for any continuation.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

while im sure a game by him thats purely horror could be interesting, i doubt kojima has the self-restraint needed to make it not trashy or over explained

if you removed exposition dumps and toilet humor would it even be a kojima game

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
PT was about as unsubtle as the rest of his oeuvre and that didn’t make it any less disturbing

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

*deedleedeedeet* James, it's Pyramid Headman. As you know, I'm the manifestation of your guilt and desire for punishment

"Mary... Gear?!"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Kojima would nail like a horror game that's more in the slasher genre, I reckon. Give him the Scream license, let him gently caress with the tropes.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I don't feel like PT was over explained, even if it's themes weren't exactly subtle. But being a playable ad (not even a demo, as Kojima admitted Silent Hills would play differently), it's possible he held back more than he would have in the main game. Which would be disappointing, but I would have liked the opportunity to at least see what he was cooking.

But setting aside potential quality of the final products, what PT did that these new projects have largely failed at is successfully marketed the game. None of the new projects have come close to pitching themselves the way PT did for Silent Hills. And to be fair, they all face an uphill climb, given how long the franchise has floundered. I hope that Townfall or F will be good, but the best their teasers could do is make me cautiously optimistic. Which is why PT was so ingenuous; it sold you on the vibe of the game before ever revealing it was tied to Silent Hill. It would have gotten people playing the main game even without the reveal that game was a new Silent Hill.

Which I suppose does support the idea that we don't actually need the Silent Hill branding to make a good horror game, and that it's not worth much now beyond blatantly grabbing at nostalgia.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

One of the smaller things I liked about the old Silent Hills was most of the horror came from overwhelming atmosphere rather than jumpscares, I just cannot deal with monster grabs the camera and screams in your face insta-kills, so just personally I'm fine with Kojima making something else if that's of how he'd have played it

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Midnight Pooptrain posted:

I demand more Clock Towers and Fatal Frames. Ripoffs like Remothered and Dreadout don't count because they stink!

Is dreadout that bad

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The second one was one of worst designed games I've ever played yeah

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Tired Moritz posted:

Is dreadout that bad

The first Dreadout is actually pretty alright, and has one of the best little face-to-face sequences I've seen in a game like that.

Two is loving God awful.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

Kokoro Wish posted:

The first Dreadout is actually pretty alright, and has one of the best little face-to-face sequences I've seen in a game like that.

Two is loving God awful.

This, a hundred percent. I loved the first DreadOut from beginning to end, but I have no idea what happened during the development of the second third one (I forgot about Keepers of the Dark). DreadOut 2 feels like a different group made it.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 16, 2024

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah i think the thing with silent hill is that what's cool about silent hill has been so influential and transferrable you can find it in lots of other games now. even more contemporary stuff like rule of rose (for how actually bad its combat is lol they should rerelease it and fix that) hits a lot of the same notes of what i like about it so the franchise itself i've always just felt an attachment to the specific ideas its creators had and not like, the franchise identity itself. the idea of being a silent hill game and fitting into a silent hill cinematic universe just kinda came back to consume way too much about what was wrong in the later ones and i think a big point in kojima hill's favor was it not feeling that obligation. in comparison clock tower/haunting ground and fatal frame are more mechanically novel games that still have lots of room to go in so i'd be happy to see more of both. kinda like i want from to make a kuon 2 that actually works lol

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The tone of PE2 is really not vibing with me. The first game was like a Crichton novel, this game feels like X-Files and Dino Crisis wrapped together.

Also, this series is one of the very very few I think would be better with voice acting.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
The idea of a Resident Evil style game with RPG mechanics is at least novel, but Parasite Eve 2 really missed an opportunity to polish a pretty cool system for the time from the previous game. At least replays for higher ranks with different difficulties makes it a little more dynamic than Resident Evil 2 or 3.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Gaius Marius posted:

The tone of PE2 is really not vibing with me. The first game was like a Crichton novel, this game feels like X-Files and Dino Crisis wrapped together.

Also, this series is one of the very very few I think would be better with voice acting.

I played PE1 immediately having read the book it was based on and it was such a good transition, the first one definitely tries to integrate a little bit of the book's minute detail about biology and stay true to its sci-fi horror roots.

Playing PE2 afterwards was super disappointing to me too.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I have a soft spot for PE2 as I came to the Playstation late and it was one of the first games I played on it (along with the Neversoft Spider-man game). But yeah it's not the most thrilling ride. The opening in the city with those animated backgrounds was really impressive at the time but really doesn't hold up on modern screens, and the whole section in the tower promises you a game that you're not going to get. Dryfield is dull, the Ark is dull.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
No. 9 is also criminally underutilized as an antagonist so you're left with kind of nothing as a villain

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I played PE1 immediately having read the book it was based on and it was such a good transition, the first one definitely tries to integrate a little bit of the book's minute detail about biology and stay true to its sci-fi horror roots.

Playing PE2 afterwards was super disappointing to me too.

Did you know there is a movie? Its got the best/worst seagull puppet eating a puppet snail in any movie ever.

DreadUnknown fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 16, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

CullenDaGaDee posted:

The idea of a Resident Evil style game with RPG mechanics is at least novel, but Parasite Eve 2 really missed an opportunity to polish a pretty cool system for the time from the previous game. At least replays for higher ranks with different difficulties makes it a little more dynamic than Resident Evil 2 or 3.

This is what really kills me. The first games systems had some real problems but ejecting them all to make a more actiony RE was not the solution I would've chosen.

The first game felt like a real crisis with everyone coming together to try and figure out what the hell is going on and how to stop it. The second game up to Dirtville just feels like a procedural. Why are the Mitochondrial creatures now common enough to devote a branch of the FBI to? How did they go from Eve's great design to No.9's hideous design that gives off mad incompetent mini boss energy.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Wasn't PE2 originally a spin-off starring the dude character? Wish we got a real sequel.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

This might be a longshot, but I remember a few years ago a streamer I watched played a demo for game that's very similar to Pacific Drive, but more horror focused. I remember you started in a bunker and then find a car and are driving around a spooky Zone style place, but theres monsters and stuff you have to hide from. Does it ring a bell for anyone else?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This might be a longshot, but I remember a few years ago a streamer I watched played a demo for game that's very similar to Pacific Drive, but more horror focused. I remember you started in a bunker and then find a car and are driving around a spooky Zone style place, but theres monsters and stuff you have to hide from. Does it ring a bell for anyone else?

Titan Chaser, maybe? I haven't played it, but I remember the idea standing out because it reminded me of The Mist, driving out into foggy areas and seeing huge monsters.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

Titan Chaser, maybe? I haven't played it, but I remember the idea standing out because it reminded me of The Mist, driving out into foggy areas and seeing huge monsters.

Ah dang, no it doesn't seem like it's this although this does look cool.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Did some more searching (was hard since Pacific Drive now eats up all the results lol) and found it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1648990/HorrorDriven_A_story_for_the_road/

szary
Mar 12, 2014
I was really hyped for Beware (https://twitter.com/Ondrej_Svadlena/status/1622204381528555521), but it looks to be dead :(

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

"Rides with Strangers" is probably vaporware at this point (and didn't look amazing to begin with in prerelease), but it was a cool concept I'd still like to see finish one day.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/MinovskyArticle/status/1762834873499230255?t=ZCzQ23Hr9Mf4QCb4zK4dlg&s=19

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
oh that's sweet! the movie has special effects by the team who did ghostbuster too and you can see some of kurosawa's trademarks starting to show up in it too

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

cool!

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Just finished Resident Evil 8

I was expecting a big twist to explain why it goes from being pitch black middle of the night to mid-morning with plenty of sunlight in the span of about a minute when you're exploring the very first house during the intro, but no such luck. guess Romania's just weird

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Clouds

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

Instant Grat posted:

Just finished Resident Evil 8

I was expecting a big twist to explain why it goes from being pitch black middle of the night to mid-morning with plenty of sunlight in the span of about a minute when you're exploring the very first house during the intro, but no such luck. guess Romania's just weird

What did you think of RE8 compared to RE7? I think I'm in the minority here, but I liked RE7 more. The Family was just such a memorable cast of characters for me (and the End of Zoe DLC was so much fun that I don't even have words to describe it).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

pedrovay2003 posted:

What did you think of RE8 compared to RE7? I think I'm in the minority here, but I liked RE7 more. The Family was just such a memorable cast of characters for me (and the End of Zoe DLC was so much fun that I don't even have words to describe it).

RE7 was way better than 8 for me. 8 was too actiony, and 7 just nailed the atmosphere. I even didn't mind the ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

finishing up the achievements in the Res Evil 3 remake, what a breezy little fun action ride.

i miss the big worm and Nicholai's ending from the original tho