Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/BaseballQuotes1/status/1758253098970280297

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Jays signed Eduardo Escobar. Yet another mediocre infielder to add to the collection with IKF Espinal and Biggio. Not sure what the point of this signing is

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Anthopoulos putting together one of the best teams in the league & winning a championship while the jays are back to spinning their wheels, hoping to finish 2nd in the ALE if everything breaks just right is really, really funny.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Is Theo sufficiently lapdogish to the owners though?

My guess is that Arctos Partners, where he is a partner, will own a team in the near future and that's a better opportunity for him than being commissioner.
Arctos already owns a stake in FSG, to whom Epstein is now also a direct consultant.
Arctos also has a stake in PSG, so Epstein is heading the Billy Beane route, imo.

Other than Selig, sports commissioners tend to be people who don't have better options, in terms of contributing to that sport.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

mdemone posted:

Just want him back.

I'm gonna text him

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Well there's my blood pressure spike for the morning

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gah jesus christ

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

zoux posted:

Gah jesus christ

You'd think I would be more used to it from his Yankees stint, but nope.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

New thing this year: "Spring Breakout"! All teams have one* scheduled spring training game where the rosters will be restricted to players with rookie eligibility, theoretically showcasing top prospects. Also there are a bunch of rule exceptions:

quote:

Length: Each Spring Breakout game will last seven innings, unless it is not part of a doubleheader and both teams agree to extend the contest to nine frames. The Padres and Mariners have already approved this for their March 15 matchup. There are no extra innings, so games can end in a tie.

ABS challenges: The Automated Ball-Strike Challenge system will be in effect for games played in five Florida State League venues (Bradenton, Fort Myers [Twins], Jupiter, Port St. Lucie, Tampa) and Salt River Fields at Talking Stick. Each team will be able to challenge at least three ball-strike calls. A successful overturn gets the challenge returned to the club, and that continues until the club has three unsuccessful challenges. The size of the strike zone will be determined by 53.5 percent of the batter’s height at the top, 27 percent of the batter’s height at the bottom and 17 inches wide as measured at the middle of the plate.

Three-batter minimum: There will be no three-batter minimum for pitchers upon entry into the game. This will allow clubs to feature as many arms as possible in this showcase format.

Player re-entry: Think of this as the Ohtani rule. If a pitcher is taken out of a Spring Breakout game, he may come back in later. (This only counts for pitchers, not position players unless an injury requires a substitution.) So a two-way player could pitch one inning on the mound, then return as a position player a few frames afterward.

Other notables: The games will use a pitch timer. PitchCom communication is allowed between pitcher and catcher. All clubs will be limited to seven mound visits per game.
* two teams play twice b/c of odd numbers

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

https://twitter.com/JustinCToscano/status/1758502993706500590

The final boss for Alex Anthopolous: don't deviate from your normal signing processes while also not loving up the most slam dunk signing of your life

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Tatsuta Age posted:

The final boss for Alex Anthopolous: don't deviate from your normal signing processes while also not loving up the most slam dunk signing of your life

my dude is signed for 5 more years making nothing lol.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I hope Acuna is going to give Albies a kickback for making him sign another 7/35 extension to be on the same team

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/WFAN660/status/1758529186661024115

I keep hearing what a great player Torres is in this thread however the Yankees have been trying to trade him for 3 years without finding any takers and they are saying out loud that they have no interest in extending him........

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Like I don't know what to tell you the numbers speak for themselves and Torres is one of the better 2b in the league and he's still 26. It's fine if the Yankees don't want to extend him he will get a nice contract in FA.

Also what is your point about the Yankees not extending him? You're always talking about Cashman making boneheaded decisions.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Popete posted:

Like I don't know what to tell you the numbers speak for themselves and Torres is one of the better 2b in the league and he's still 26. It's fine if the Yankees don't want to extend him he will get a nice contract in FA.

Also what is your point about the Yankees not extending him? You're always talking about Cashman making boneheaded decisions.

Why can't they trade him?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
idk maybe cause they were asking for the moon? Or they were never actually serious about trading him because he has been one of the few productive offensive players not name Arron Judge for the Yankees.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Because it's only in your quixotic imagination that they have been trying to give him away

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The Yankees generally don't do big extensions especially not since the last couple of ones went so sideways. It's not particularly surprising they haven't done so with Gleyber, even if I think they absolutely should be.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Because it's only in your quixotic imagination that they have been trying to give him away

So the hundreds and hundreds of trade rumors in the last 3 years involving him are a figment of my imagination.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They are just that, rumors. We don't know the details or validity of any possible trades. It's entirely possible there were teams out there with an interest in Torres but they did not or were not willing to part with players that the Yankees wanted. Trades don't happen in a vacuum it takes both sides having what the other needs.

If Torres has another good season like he has the past 2 years he will be heading into FA as one of the better 2b options to lock up long term.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Every trade rumor I've heard about Gleyber is that a team asked about him and the Yankees said no. Inlcuding for Pablo Lopez.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Inspector_666 posted:

Every trade rumor I've heard about Gleyber is that a team asked about him and the Yankees said no. Inlcuding for Pablo Lopez.

There's no way they were asking for just Gleyber then surely

That would be a fireable offense if so

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Tatsuta Age posted:

Yup sounds like that arb years buyout deal really caused friction between Acuña and the FO and it will reverberate in the clubhouse :v:

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Torres is a solid 2B but isn't a stud, his defensive stats are pretty mediocre but he's got a pretty good bat. His slugging isn't quite what you'd want from an all bat 2B though. I don't think I'd extend him but he'd absolutely fill a need on another team in FA. He's not like Ketel Marte but he's not the piece holding the Yankees back that's their baffling pitcher decisions

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

more falafel please posted:

Oh bud have you heard one of the best essays about baseball of all time (Red Sox fandom notwithstanding)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uH2_dUboyBA

I have not! Thanks!

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Jays signed Eduardo Escobar. Yet another mediocre infielder to add to the collection with IKF Espinal and Biggio. Not sure what the point of this signing is

I am at a, like, 2018 Blue Jays-level of excitement for this team.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Twin Cinema posted:

I am at a, like, 2018 Blue Jays-level of excitement for this team.

Ya same its very :flaccid: right now

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

lol good thing the Padres went and got that extra shortstop last year

https://twitter.com/dennistlin/status/1758549953125781560

it was obvious at the time and even more obvious now, that Kim at SS Cronenworth at 2B and the Bogaerts money at 1B/OF would have been a better arrangement for them

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 16, 2024

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

lol good thing the Padres went and got that extra shortstop last year

https://twitter.com/dennistlin/status/1758549953125781560

it was obvious at the time and even more obvious now, that Kim at SS Chronenworth at 2B and the Bogaerts money at 1B/OF would have been a better arrangement for them

Except Cronenworth fell off. Plus, the front office was ready to let Machado walk until the owner swooped in and gave him a raise.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

a diminished Cronenworth is still playable at 2B, but not so much at 1B where they put him after singing Bogaerts

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean I get it: add good players when they're available and figure out how you're going to work them into positions later. This has been the Phillies approach, and appears to be the Dodgers approach going forward as well. Bogaerts gave the Padres a 120 wRC+ and 4.8 oWAR last year vs 0.4 dWAR: moving him to 2B doesn't really diminish his value much while allowing the Padres to get a significant defensive upgrade at SS by slotting in Kim.

Cronenworth had back to back >4 WAR seasons prior to 2023 and he only just turned 30, personally I think the odds are better that he had a blip year and will bounce back than him having a very early career fall off.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

a diminished Cronenworth is still playable at 2B, but not so much at 1B where they put him after singing Bogaerts

Having to move a "playable" player doesn't seem like a good reason to not sign a good player. Especially since playable at first is fairly easy to find.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Cronenworth's 4 WAR seasons were playing at 2B and SS, where his 122 and 109 OPS+ seasons were respectable. But you put that bat at 1B and now he's Eric Hosmer.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

Cronenworth's 4 WAR seasons were playing at 2B and SS, where his 122 and 109 OPS+ seasons were respectable. But you put that bat at 1B and now he's Eric Hosmer.

It was 92 last year, which isn't playable anywhere without elite defense.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

his defense is solid in the middle infield and that's a lot more playable at 2B than it is at 1B

and to make matters worse, according to statcast he's a below-average defender at 1B while being above average at 2B

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

But you put that bat at 1B and now he's Eric Hosmer.

An "elite" defensive 1B and Master of Scoops™ who brings veteran clubhouse leadership in the form reminding the young guys not to have fun and mocking journalists for reminding him that advanced stats exist? Sounds like a huge culture add imo.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
At first or at second, Cronenworth looks like an eighth or ninth hitter on a good team. That's not the kind of player decisions should be made around.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Schrodinger's Cronenworth is simultaneously a steady 4 WAR player regardless of position and also an afterthought who's presence should not influence roster decisions

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/1758278145688400335

I wonder if it's actually genuinely impossible to extend Soto or if he's just (rightly) demanding beyond historic money for it to happen. He's gonna hit FA at age 26 as a clear HoF trajectory talent, so a 12 or even 14 year contract should not be out of the question for him.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
It seems deeply silly for Soto to start entertaining extension offers now when one more season up to his standards will earn him a record contract wherever he wants it

Like, why preemptively tie yourself down to the Yankees? The days when they were willing to outbid anyone for premium talent seem over, and it’s not like they’re presumptive playoff favorites every year anymore either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/1758278145688400335

I wonder if it's actually genuinely impossible to extend Soto or if he's just (rightly) demanding beyond historic money for it to happen. He's gonna hit FA at age 26 as a clear HoF trajectory talent, so a 12 or even 14 year contract should not be out of the question for him.

He's a Boras guy so it'd probably take something like 12/600

They'd have to blow him completely away with their offer