Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

For BG3, Starfield and now Cyberpunk. I'll hit 1,000 saves, maybe more. New Save is faster than picking one to overwrite. I put a link to the save folder and one to a backup folder on my Quick Access, and every week I drag a hundred or so over if I notice, or imagine, a slowdown opening the save menu, so there are usually 20-100 in the save folder.

I have almost never had to go back far to recover something, so I guess it's part paranoia, OCD, and using Adobe Illustrator every day where saving every two minutes is a necessity.

BG3 keeping 25 quick saves and allowing you to change that blew my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Also what the hell is going on with Argon doing corrosive damage to you?

The only science the creators know is modern star trek.

"I love science"

"The power of math"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn4fW0EInqw

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

DancingShade posted:

The only science the creators know is modern star trek.

"I love science"

"The power of math"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn4fW0EInqw

Being chastised for "not trusting the science" by the entire crew for picking reintroducing a recently-extinct livestock species as a reliable and sustainable solution to the murderbeast problem, over the untested murder microbe that is meant to proliferate across all settled systems without guarantee of being mutation-proofed, is easily the most insulted a game has made me feel.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Ironslave posted:

Being chastised for "not trusting the science" by the entire crew for picking reintroducing a recently-extinct livestock species as a reliable and sustainable solution to the murderbeast problem, over the untested murder microbe that is meant to proliferate across all settled systems without guarantee of being mutation-proofed, is easily the most insulted a game has made me feel.

If those things had already been hunted to extinction then obviously re-introducing them is a safe bet as if they get to much a problem they can be culled, the resolution to that just made no dam sense.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

socialsecurity posted:

If those things had already been hunted to extinction then obviously re-introducing them is a safe bet as if they get to much a problem they can be culled, the resolution to that just made no dam sense.

Boggles my loving mind that the narrative "good" choices in a story about how ignorance of the environment can lead to damaging gaffes and how that ignorance will be exploited by those with nefarious intent, is to destroy a plant that exists on one planet without study, not reintroduce a species that humanity had blindly eaten to death which caused the terrormorph problem in the first place, and drop a hastily-engineered bioweapon across all settled systems and leave it at that.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Ironslave posted:

Dunno, the whole "we're all going to lose our jobs because you had the audacity to defend yourself from our crazed murderous boss and when a CEO dies, the company dies with him" was pretty insulting too. Had I been one of those NPCs, I'd have gone full ding dong the witch is dead...

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ironslave posted:

It was clearly a heavy handed clumsily written "go get your covid shot" message but arrived about 2 years too late.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
If we could of engineered covid eating dinosaurs pretty much everyone would of been on board.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

DancingShade posted:

It was clearly a heavy handed clumsily written "go get your covid shot" message but arrived about 2 years too late.

It arrived late and was insultingly backwards, since its equivalent to "go get your COVID shot" is to unleash a potential interstellar plague, and to ignore performing scientific rigor on heatleeches, their reproduction cycle, and the way the plants supercharge it. It is the least scientific solution unless your idea of science is solely that it involves using terms like "microbe" and words that end in -ion.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ironslave posted:

It arrived late and was insultingly backwards, since its equivalent to "go get your COVID shot" is to unleash a potential interstellar plague, and to ignore performing scientific rigor on heatleeches, their reproduction cycle, and the way the plants supercharge it. It is the least scientific solution unless your idea of science is solely that it involves using terms like "microbe" and words that end in -ion.

Sarah Morrigon voice: Yes but just Trust The Science.

I'm picking on Sarah but all the companions are equally insufferable. Maybe her the most equally insufferable of all.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The funniest thing about all that was the microbe scientist acknowleding that it's impossible to make mutation-proof but the odds are one in a million...of a microbe, that's very small that you make a lot of

Like jesus christ every long running scifi serial made in the last 70 years has had a subplot about the dangers of turning loose an uncontrollable "easy answer to a problem", grey goop nanite stories are a dime a dozen and both horizon zero dawn games dropped while this game was being developed

just absolutely incredible

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know how many post-apocalyptic stories start with "a plague swept the land, civilisation fell" and that's why now everyone is a mutant who wears rubber tyres as shoulder pads, yet somehow ray-bans are still plentiful. A lot.

Maybe someone at Bethesda needs to read some old back issue Heavy Metal comics from the 80s. Or some Ranx.

edit - sorry that would intrude on their auteur vision. How simply gauche of me.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Feb 16, 2024

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

socialsecurity posted:

If we could of engineered covid eating dinosaurs pretty much everyone would of been on board.

could of would of should of

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I swear it feels like the xenomorph mystery quest was at some point the main quest or cannibalized concepts cut from an earlier draft. Boring science club who I think was named Constellation is remarkably detached from the entire game world.

There's the same one or two sentence remarks some NPCs mention in reaction to you being a member, but otherwise it's just wonky. Meanwhile the xenomorph quest takes us on the usual "go hassle all the factions" meet and greet introduction.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yup, I had the same feeling, that the UC faction quest would be a main quest in other games.

It was the first side quest I played so at the time I thought "ah, this is what makes Starfield special, the random overworld is a procgen wasteland, but the quests are top notch!". I didn't realize until later I'd stumbled into the absolute best quest the game has and there weren't others like it to be found.

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
proc gen skyrim rear end game

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

The Constellation quest has the exact same problem as Mass Effect Andromeda where they tell you “we’re space explorers, looking for cool stuff to find”.

Then rather than find cool stuff you’re just a space shooter man just like Master Chief or Commander Shepherd.

Far Cry has more “exploration” feeling and you shoot like a million dudes.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

space uncle posted:

The Constellation quest has the exact same problem as Mass Effect Andromeda where they tell you “we’re space explorers, looking for cool stuff to find”.

Then rather than find cool stuff you’re just a space shooter man just like Master Chief or Commander Shepherd.

"We're space explorers, looking for cool stuff to find"

*straps on 15 different guns using 10 types of ammo*
*clips on four separate types of grenades and land mines*
*gets into a heavily armed ship dripping with enough weapons to level civilizations and no scanning equipment*

"Ok, let's go explore!"

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Andromeda at least had a goofy atv

I barely remember the ending of that game but at the same time it felt Epic vs "shoot these guys and when they respawn shoot them more"

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

moist turtleneck posted:

Andromeda at least had a goofy atv

I barely remember the ending of that game but at the same time it felt Epic vs "shoot these guys and when they respawn shoot them more"

I loving hated Andromeda. That's exactly how I felt about it.
It was also, "No matter how many time you clear this trash between your landing site and the mission site, we're going to respawn it all and make you clear it, again."

space uncle posted:

I don't know how it works, but that's 100% my thoughts on Far Cry. It just feels more alive.
I guess the problem with Starfield is that it's not realistic that developed worlds would still have artifacts laying around that nobody had spent a lot of time investigating, so they have to set the game on a lot of worlds that can't sustain life.
Maybe they should have made the temples somehow able to sustain life inside them and then we'd have more game to play inside the temples instead of spending half our time on the central quest running across lifeless planets.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 16, 2024

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
that's because the ending of Andromeda was a giant wet fart (but the cargo cult "like Ilos in the first game!" section in your not-Mako was pretty good, racing towards the final boss in not-prothean ruins)

both games share the exploration issue where you're sent to "explore" a galaxy where there are human outposts every 500 meters (in Andromeda: Milky Way aliens and humans) in every direction :psyduck:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Cyrano4747 posted:

"We're space explorers, looking for cool stuff to find"

*straps on 15 different guns using 10 types of ammo*
*clips on four separate types of grenades and land mines*
*gets into a heavily armed ship dripping with enough weapons to level civilizations and no scanning equipment*

"Ok, let's go explore!"

It would be neat if the writers did something with that ludonarrative dissonance, but no. I'm not expecting Spec Ops: The Line, but still.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I am definitely not defending andromeda, the game felt like poo poo but it also felt more lived in and alive than starfield

I forgot how wooden all the faces in it were though lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZwNPz9v05A&t=186s

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The funniest thing about all that was the microbe scientist acknowleding that it's impossible to make mutation-proof but the odds are one in a million...of a microbe, that's very small that you make a lot of

I think it was one in a million using like, birth control odds. One in a million chance a year/ever, not every time the microbe multiplies.

But that part was written so loving badly it’s impossible to tell how they meant it, or if it’s a virus or bacteria, or any of a million other things.

They even could have made the companion opinions make sense if they had whoever was with you on Londonion be like “Jfc I just saw a subway rat turn into a purple people eater instantly, go with the nuclear option” and have another companion who didn’t see that be pro-Aceles.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yup, I had the same feeling, that the UC faction quest would be a main quest in other games.

It was the first side quest I played so at the time I thought "ah, this is what makes Starfield special, the random overworld is a procgen wasteland, but the quests are top notch!". I didn't realize until later I'd stumbled into the absolute best quest the game has and there weren't others like it to be found.

It’s also the only quest with any real stakes at all. The main quest could be solved by ignoring the hunter til he fucks off to another universe.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

My main touchstone for goofy writing in this game was my favorite questline being the Crimson Fleet one because it felt like a silly pirate adventure going off to do some heists and get One Piece and at the end of the game they're like "and you unleashed a new reign of terror upon the galaxy as the fleet rose to power" which like, fair okay they're pirates their whole thing is murder and robbery but also it's just tonally weird to be like "here's a station full of roguish outlaws off to find a pirate treasure. Here, meet our quirky nerdy one you're supposed to be friends with" and then go "oh and also every one of them is a war criminal".

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
The temples being these giant things with crazy anti grav fields would be the kind of thing we would easily notice with today's technology. The fact they are all just sorta sitting on these planets untouched 100m from a generic science base just feels odd.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

socialsecurity posted:

The temples being these giant things with crazy anti grav fields would be the kind of thing we would easily notice with today's technology. The fact they are all just sorta sitting on these planets untouched 100m from a generic science base just feels odd.

It is really funny how many of them are literally within eyeshot of a populated area.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Glagha posted:

My main touchstone for goofy writing in this game was my favorite questline being the Crimson Fleet one because it felt like a silly pirate adventure going off to do some heists and get One Piece and at the end of the game they're like "and you unleashed a new reign of terror upon the galaxy as the fleet rose to power" which like, fair okay they're pirates their whole thing is murder and robbery but also it's just tonally weird to be like "here's a station full of roguish outlaws off to find a pirate treasure. Here, meet our quirky nerdy one you're supposed to be friends with" and then go "oh and also every one of them is a war criminal".

The fleet in the game world and the fleet in the faction quest feel like two different things entirely. If you walk into a lab on a planet there’s like a mass shooting and you find a note next to a dead civilian that’s all “the fleet shot my friend and buttfucked my cat”. The faction quest is just a bunch of PG rated rogues.

Also the weird multisystem hacking that their bombchest guy makes no sense in the rules of the setting.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Speaking of quests, I enjoyed the clone village experiment and ended up letting Genghis Khan take to the skies, but is there ever a followup event to that or is it just a case of "omg what have you done?! think of the consequences* !!!" ( *consequences not implemented in game )

Not that I feel like his DNA should make it ethical to lock him up preemptively, but was curious if Bethesda had taken any direction there or just left it hanging.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

orcane posted:

that's because the ending of Andromeda was a giant wet fart (but the cargo cult "like Ilos in the first game!" section in your not-Mako was pretty good, racing towards the final boss in not-prothean ruins)

I feel like in Andromeda they tried to make an "exploring a new galaxy, how exciting!" game but completely failed, so they remade it as a very generic by-the-numbers game with tons of callbacks to the original trilogy.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

FishMcCool posted:

Speaking of quests, I enjoyed the clone village experiment and ended up letting Genghis Khan take to the skies, but is there ever a followup event to that or is it just a case of "omg what have you done?! think of the consequences* !!!" ( *consequences not implemented in game )

Not that I feel like his DNA should make it ethical to lock him up preemptively, but was curious if Bethesda had taken any direction there or just left it hanging.
I think you can meet him as a pirate in orbit later?

OddObserver posted:

I feel like in Andromeda they tried to make an "exploring a new galaxy, how exciting!" game but completely failed, so they remade it as a very generic by-the-numbers game with tons of callbacks to the original trilogy.
The game is full of cargo cult-like references to the original game (the actual first one, not just the trilogy as a whole), often in pretty obvious and stupid ways. Not sure if that was the goal since the beginning, when the game wanted to be a procgen universe, but it probably was (procgen unlimited universe as an "upgrade" to the uncharted worlds of ME1).

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

OddObserver posted:

I'll never forget how, in the very first encounter with an species from a new galaxy, I waited as long as possible before drawing my gun and shooting, because this was first contact and a Big Deal, and how bad it felt that immediately the game was like "lol nah these are the baddies let's normalize blasting away at an entire platoon of them for the next hour".

Also, they're from an entirely different galaxy and they have invented, in parallel, the assault rifle? Like very obviously an assault rifle like we have? I never played it enough to find out if maybe they were previous travelers from the Milky Way, or if travel between the galaxies was occuring in secret, or what, but the instant they showed me that the aliens were going to act exactly like contemporaneous shooter mans with infantry kit I was just appalled. That's what you come up with for exotic alien life? Really?

The trip down in the lander, with the gravity anomalies, was actually mysterious and alien, and then they dropped the ball and went right into uninspired shooter aesthetic

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You give your game a completely blank slate in another galaxy; limitless potential for imagining strange life forms and architectures

gently caress it, make some dudes with assault rifles and ship it

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

The thing that got me was them going 'here's your badass space ship to explore this dangerous new galaxy! we put zero guns on it because the recoil would shatter the massive loving windows we installed.'

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'll never forget how, in the very first encounter with an species from a new galaxy, I waited as long as possible before drawing my gun and shooting, because this was first contact and a Big Deal, and how bad it felt that immediately the game was like "lol nah these are the baddies let's normalize blasting away at an entire platoon of them for the next hour".

Also, they're from an entirely different galaxy and they have invented, in parallel, the assault rifle? Like very obviously an assault rifle like we have? I never played it enough to find out if maybe they were previous travelers from the Milky Way, or if travel between the galaxies was occuring in secret, or what, but the instant they showed me that the aliens were going to act exactly like contemporaneous shooter mans with infantry kit I was just appalled. That's what you come up with for exotic alien life? Really?

The trip down in the lander, with the gravity anomalies, was actually mysterious and alien, and then they dropped the ball and went right into uninspired shooter aesthetic

Well, it was the fourth full release of a third person shooter RPG series. I don't mean to be rude but how could you have missed it so badly that you were legitimately appalled when it was exactly that?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I for one was appalled at how bad the multiplayer was compared to the previous game

and yes I bring this up all the time and I am actually Mad

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

orcane posted:

The game is full of cargo cult-like references to the original game (the actual first one, not just the trilogy as a whole), often in pretty obvious and stupid ways. Not sure if that was the goal since the beginning, when the game wanted to be a procgen universe, but it probably was (procgen unlimited universe as an "upgrade" to the uncharted worlds of ME1).

IIRC the ME1 was originally supposed to be a lot more explore-the-galaxy with a bunch of progen worlds but when they ran up against the realities of that they scrapped the idea and went with the much more traditional Bioware RPG that we all know. I'm not going to dig up articles now, but I have vague recollections of comments that 360-era hardware just wasn't up to the task. Could be that they figured that a new console generation meant better hardware that could finally do it and, well, reinvented the wheel in discovering that no, that still doesn't work.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

moist turtleneck posted:

I for one was appalled at how bad the multiplayer was compared to the previous game

and yes I bring this up all the time and I am actually Mad

The mass effect 3 multiplayer had legs like it was a stand alone game, and to their credit they supported it like it was. I do remember that getting good at the multiplayer would make playing the actual game trivial, because they'd ask so much more of you in a mp session then they would at any point in the single player.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
they left out the multiplayer when they rereleased ME3 to spite me

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

moist turtleneck posted:

I am definitely not defending andromeda, the game felt like poo poo but it also felt more lived in and alive than starfield

I forgot how wooden all the faces in it were though lol
"I apologize, my face is tired."