Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Phy posted:

It's weird, I never see a lot of discussion about the movie in the spaces I'm in, but I think in 10-15 years or so we're going to find out it was as formative for The Kids These Days as, like, Ghostbusters was for our generation

I was just talking with a friend about it last week, it's the first movie in a long time that I have yet to hear a single negative review on. Every person I know that's seen it has loved it. Bizarre but awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Medullah posted:

Aren't they selling off Dungeons and Dragons too?
Best I can tell that's a rumour started by one youtuber that the media ran with and never bothered verifying.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arquinsiel posted:

Best I can tell that's a rumour started by one youtuber that the media ran with and never bothered verifying.

Yeah, that dude says a lot of things that never actually come true but make good YouTube clickbait.

What the rumor actually was is that Tencent was interested in buying the video game rights to D&D - I guess in total - because they own a share of Larian Studios and Baldur's Gate 3's made 90 million dollars or something to that effect but Hasbro said it's not true.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yeah the scale in Beast Wars is a bit funny even before we see them interact with the stasis locked G1 characters when you realize that the proto-humans they interact with a fair amount over the course of the show aren't really all that much smaller than them, and how in turn if you apply that to the toys(ignoring the differences in height the cast often have between their show models and the actual toys with each other) and you realize Beast era toys scale fairly well with 3.75 inch scale GI Joe figures(not perfectly but pretty well for an unintended happy accident)

Which once again makes me want a Beast Wars comic based off of the original pre-show premise for the line where it was meant to be set on modern day Earth, maybe even have it be another GI Joe crossover but this time focused on the 90's era parts of that franchise

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Medullah posted:

I saw this post on Reddit and man it's 100% accurate heh

I was thinking of the bit with the bridge. The paladin npc stands there explaining the whole bit and then one of the players just absolutely ruins the puzzle.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah the scale in Beast Wars is a bit funny even before we see them interact with the stasis locked G1 characters when you realize that the proto-humans they interact with a fair amount over the course of the show aren't really all that much smaller than them, and how in turn if you apply that to the toys(ignoring the differences in height the cast often have between their show models and the actual toys with each other) and you realize Beast era toys scale fairly well with 3.75 inch scale GI Joe figures(not perfectly but pretty well for an unintended happy accident)

Which once again makes me want a Beast Wars comic based off of the original pre-show premise for the line where it was meant to be set on modern day Earth, maybe even have it be another GI Joe crossover but this time focused on the 90's era parts of that franchise

Wasn't the only G1 sized bots Optimal Optimus and TM2 Megatron due to Optimus Prime and Megatrons sparks respectively?

While the rest were more human size due to go undergoing the great reduction to save energy instead of using the bigger more energy wasting bodies of old.

Some others might have varied in size mind you, I remember Depth Charge and Rampage being fair sized.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

The Last Call posted:

Wasn't the only G1 sized bots Optimal Optimus and TM2 Megatron due to Optimus Prime and Megatrons sparks respectively?

While the rest were more human size due to go undergoing the great reduction to save energy instead of using the bigger more energy wasting bodies of old.

Some others might have varied in size mind you, I remember Depth Charge and Rampage being fair sized.

DC and Rampage were so underused. I loved how "you gently caress everything up, shut up Primal!" DepthCharge was about everything because he wasn't precisely wrong. Was a crime we never got to see him interact with Dinobot. Or Dinobot much with Rampage.

No, not the TM2 clone one.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Last Call posted:

Yeah, Optimal Optimus was definitely the biggest.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

SlothfulCobra posted:

So Hasbro is not having a good time in the Quarterly Earnings, which may mean bad things for their output.
https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/13/hasbro-has-earnings-q4-2023.html

Apparently TFs are doing just fine amongst all that.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Robot Style posted:

Yeah, Optimal Optimus was definitely the biggest.

TM Tarantulus was seriously the best looking one.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cowslips Warren posted:

DC and Rampage were so underused. I loved how "you gently caress everything up, shut up Primal!" DepthCharge was about everything because he wasn't precisely wrong. Was a crime we never got to see him interact with Dinobot. Or Dinobot much with Rampage.

No, not the TM2 clone one.

And then you have Rampage, Transformers' Hannibal Lecter.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Cowslips Warren posted:

RiD got me back into Transformers in 2001 and there was a Transmetal Primal and a Transmetal Tarantulus sit on the shelves. And I only got the Primal. I also passed on Transmetal Cheetor retool in Armada. I was such a dummy 20 years ago.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Transmetal Tarantulas has Tinkertoy shoulders.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

drrockso20 posted:

I hadn’t heard this before. They were still going to be animals though?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Cowslips Warren posted:

I'd say it's one of my favourite figures but it's lost somewhere at my dad's place so I cannot bask in its glory. I am getting the modern (though not transmetal) version today at least, will have to see if it compares favourably at all. I do remember the BW toys being genuinely good back in the day though, obviously very different to the old bricks I was used to as a kid.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
What is the best way to ship a giant box? I have an in-box Trypticon I want to offload but…it’s big

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

What is the best way to ship a giant box? I have an in-box Trypticon I want to offload but…it’s big

I generally go to pirateship.com when I'm shipping stuff, usually gets me a good rate

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I hadn’t heard this before. They were still going to be animals though?

I think rockso is talking about the setting presented in the early BW tech spec bios, where there's several references to modern day Earth, and Megatron and Primal are both implied to be the gun and trukk dudes with new beast mode bodies.

GI Joe doesn't show up in those bios IIRC, it'd just be a neat place to take the story if they'd stayed with that setting instead of what happened in the show.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The whole reason Primal is a gorilla is because they wanted to do the King Kong vs Tyrannosaurus thing with a giant ape versus a dinosaur.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Nodosaur posted:

The whole reason Primal is a gorilla is because they wanted to do the King Kong vs Tyrannosaurus thing with a giant ape versus a dinosaur.

That might have worked if they actually made him a giant ape.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

He WOULD have been a giant ape in the original concept where BW takes place in modern day

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Nodosaur posted:

Unless they went with the original version which was Optimus as a bat and Megatron as an allegator.

I still remember those commercials and being a bit WTF at seeing that.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The way that shook out was pretty nutty.

You had Optimus Primal, who was not Optimus Prime, except sometimes he was. And in Japan, the guy who was Optimus Prime was called Convobat, but then Convobat was also some totally different guy. And then one time Optimus Primal and Optimus Prime (who are different characters) became the same character.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

And in Japan they're both just called Convoy.

Leo Prime should have been Leo Primal, fight me

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Japan squeezes so much into one continuity its amazing.

Like, Prowl and Wheeljack died in the movie and turned up in later seasons of Headmasters?

Decades later they actually come up with how that happened via some comic pages.

How they can squeeze so many shows into the time line they do when they should be happening at the same time is best left to someone who thinks X-Men continuity is childs play.

Weird how Japan never got the movie for years. Even how Megatron and Optimus died seemed to be half a mystery there as Optimus was shown dying in a comic page by being randomly shot.

Correction, it was recapped in a Headmasters episode:

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 16, 2024

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Dabir posted:

Leo Prime should have been Leo Primal, fight me

Optimus Pride

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Optimus as a cop would be Stoptimus Crime.

i found that online and i still love it.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Optimus as a cop was the Energon Optimus Prime.

Energon donuts kids, don't eat them.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Robot Style posted:

Optimus Pride

So Big Convoy is Optimus Wide?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Last Call posted:

Optimus as a cop was the Energon Optimus Prime.

Energon donuts kids, don't eat them.

Hey be nice, he's made a lot of progress on losing that gut. :v:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Energon Optimus is tubby because he's the first Power Core Combiner and his torso has to serve as the torso for a super robot twice the size. Which is maybe one of the weirder super robot forms, but hey it's kinda neat that he has a team of all-terrain vehicles with him in his parallelogram trailer. I think Optimus wasn't a cop until IDW, but it was neat that he was a firetruck once.

I think Japan ended up feeling more free to leave behind the original G1 characters as part of the loving around with the movie, but then I think they may also just be more used to longrunning sentai shows swapping out all the characters every so often. They stick with a truck being the Autobot leader, but he's not necessarily the same Truck. They have entire media pieces with no Megatron.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Some of it may also come from the fact that Optimus Prime is just a name the US slapped onto their Diaclone Battle Convoy toy, rather than being a brand new bespoke character that's been a pillar of the line from its inception.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Anyone else think it was funny that Japan decided to show the two parter where Optimus Prime returns.

Then in the very next series has him killed off in the first episode or two to save Cybertron making Hot Rod into Rodimus Prime once more.

And then a dozen or so episodes later they blow up Cyberon with Rodimus turning over leadership to the headmasters while he flies off with the matrix to find a new home world.

I really would like to know what was even the point of doing that series of events.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

The Last Call posted:

I really would like to know what was even the point of doing that series of events.

My fireguts wants to say it was "to sell toys" at some point

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

TheDK posted:

I think it was that plus the writers wanting to actually spend time on their new core cast instead of having to have everything revolve around what Optimus or Rodimus was doing. Like, I assume Japan's relationship to Optimus wasn't the same as the US/UK/Europe's because most of the time Japan doesn't insist on bringing him back when they make a new show.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Optimus as a cop would be Stoptimus Crime.

i found that online and i still love it.

Prowl with the matrix would be Coptimus Prime

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Silhouette posted:

Pepsi Convoy is Poptimus Prime

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

TheDK posted:

It's more of a why kill Optimus right away if Rodimus is a planned non issue. He didn't get the target master re issue in Japan (nor did the original others that the US did get re issues of)so chances are his toy wasn't even on the shelf at that point.

The Headmasters were coming sure, but up until they were finally out some of what happened in the show kinda came off as pointless.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Silhouette posted:

Blaster would be Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!