Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

he was another guaido but also an insane racist freak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

antipattern posted:

Why did the west suck off Navalny so much anyway? Was he some special boy who was going to let the west destroy Russia or something?

he was the handpicked comprador guy

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
He did a sick youtube essay on putin's castle

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
also #ripbozo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

antipattern posted:

Why did the west suck off Navalny so much anyway? Was he some special boy who was going to let the west destroy Russia or something?

he was opposition to Putin that wasn't also a communist, so he was Their Guy

personally I don't think there are any Russian leaders who would have allowed NATO expansion all the way up to Ukraine, or would balkanize Russia into Tver and Novgorod and a Cossack Republic, if they had their chance, but the West liked to entertain the idea

antipattern
Nov 8, 2019

Cerebral Bore posted:

he was the handpicked comprador guy

business as usual then

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah the big hope was eventually putting him in power. It seems a real reach at the time but back in 2011-12 he probably had some appreciable support in big cities. It just got squandered and people forgot he even existed.

He wasn’t a threat obviously but it is a clear message to the West that is in fact “for reals.”

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

antipattern posted:

He shared their views on Muslims.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT0tCSaWZ9Q

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i bet

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

HallelujahLee posted:

he was another guaido but also an insane racist freak

Though unlike guaido he did operate under considerable personal risk and wasn't just snorting coke and trying to get stolen state assets transferred to him personally. Would have to get in the line for that.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

genericnick posted:

Though unlike guaido he did operate under considerable personal risk and wasn't just snorting coke and trying to get stolen state assets transferred to him personally. Would have to get in the line for that.

hes in line for a burial atm

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

my bony fealty posted:

tfw when you learn Navalny's dead

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MyLordBebo/status/1758442664389693547

USSR 2 still in the cards, folks

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

drat, you really think Biden can remember a quote attributed to him from 3 years ago?

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
Yeah he kinda seemed like an actual legit dumb racist shithead who for some reason thought it was a good idea to try to grift his way to power as opposition to the guy who likes to poison people or shoot down their planes when they're annoying to him, rather than a 100% obvious american stooge implant like Guaido.

I guess i dunno if he was getting checks from the CIA or whatever but it felt like the western obsession on him was just manufactured over the desperation at having someone in power other than Putin.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Yeah the big hope was eventually putting him in power. It seems a real reach at the time but back in 2011-12 he probably had some appreciable support in big cities. It just got squandered and people forgot he even existed.

He wasn’t a threat obviously but it is a clear message to the West that is in fact “for reals.”

Not sure there was any real hope, even on the more delusional western side, but as far as I can see he was the most plausible opposition figure who was also anti-communist. And also personally brave enough that he'd have made a good martyr if the Russians had murked him a bit earlier. After two years of industrial war a martyr isn't worth that much, though.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

looking forward to all the western losers sending out variations of the same worthless statements insert loser was a hero

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
It's hard for me to figure out what these kinds of people think they're fighting for, certainly he knew the risks of trying to challenge Putin, what did he think he had to gain? I know American branding and white supremacist ideology let people think that The West will ultimately come through and put The Right People in charge if you say the right magic words but it's so strange that people are actually willing to risk their lives by betting on America.

did he have a different team from the year 883 who's russian nationalism was directly oppositional to that of putin or something lol

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Every deal with America is a Faustian bargain because America is the great satan

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

what's he going to do about it, blow up nordstream 2?

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
I'm probably just letting current circumstances colour my impressions of russian politics, I guess it's not beyond imagination that there was a point in time where Putin's divinity seemed assailable and I just can't remember it because I'm living post-2022 and thinking of him as the guy who accidentally destroyed the american empire and revitalized his country through naivety.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

hes going to call putin but accidentally dials netanyahu

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Flournival Dixon posted:

It's hard for me to figure out what these kinds of people think they're fighting for, certainly he knew the risks of trying to challenge Putin, what did he think he had to gain? I know American branding and white supremacist ideology let people think that The West will ultimately come through and put The Right People in charge if you say the right magic words but it's so strange that people are actually willing to risk their lives by betting on America.

did he have a different team from the year 883 who's russian nationalism was directly oppositional to that of putin or something lol

being a guaido is an easy way to get on the grift circuit gravy train

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
deeply concerned over navalny

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

being a guaido is an easy way to get on the grift circuit gravy train

Yeah, but usually you'd be a guiado in a hotel in another country, snorting coke you paid for with sanction loot. That Belarus opposition leader seems to be a clear guaido. Getting arrested in the country you claim to represent isn't in the guaido play book.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
well, sometimes the guaido gets greedy and that's when the game punishes you

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

sure it is the original guaido had to flee Venezuela because hes now got a interpol notice against him, the coke parties are over

even the opposition in venezuela dis-avowed him lol

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

What! No! He was supposed to bring Russia into the fold! My hegemony!

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

uh oh, Russia might get sanctioned.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

I'm Polonium Rick!

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

The337th posted:

I'm Polonium Rick!

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Why didn't he go to America or something. C'mon man.

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJdoG9tUR6w

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

an ultimately fatal case of burger lib brain, you hate to see it

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
holy poo poo lmao

he references harry potter too

i guess he was a fuckin true believer in whatever the gently caress it is these people believe in

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

has he ever mentioned stewie griffin?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
We must bury him with his loved ones.

Dumps armfull of harry potter merch into open grave, walks off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Woke Mind Virus posted:

Why didn't he go to America or something. C'mon man.

There comes a time in each Guaido's lifetime where they are worth more in the country's prison than in Florida. All of them dread that call from a ghoul in the state department.