Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Not under no plus button for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Yea that’s what I see too

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Skill issue + light mode user.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Jose Oquendo posted:

A third party battery is a waste of money. You have no idea what you’re actually getting and it’s a great way to burn your house down. It’s absolutely worth paying extra for a repair job from Apple.

I got the phone from a refurbisher who said it was a brand new battery. Doubt they use Apple for theirs but maybe they do?

MarcusSA posted:

I don’t know why you’d ever use a 3rd party battery tbh

Not even ones from ifixit?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It defaults to under the plus icon unless you use it then it’s there for a while till it goes away.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anyone else having an issue adding albums to their Apple Music library? I’ll click the + at the top, and it’ll momentarily switch to the download arrow before reverting back to the add to library +.

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

It defaults to under the plus icon unless you use it then it’s there for a while till it goes away.

I dunno I’ve been wanting that to go away for years and it never does

I’ve never once recorded an audio message, and don’t think I’ve ever received an intentional one

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Go into your keyboard settings and try toggling dictation off and then on (or just turn it on if it’s off). Although if it’s a machine learning thing based on your user history then good luck.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I have never used it intentionally. Dictation is off. Turning Dictation on gives me the microphone icon in its place, which I also emphatically do not want. Turning dictation off again returns the red squig.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Then perish.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Glimpse posted:

Not under no plus button for me

That's how I have it too but only for the one person I send audio messages to. Everyone else it defaults to the dictation option.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

speaking of things that need to go, gently caress the lockscreen scrubber for music/podcasts. i have hit it accidentally too many loving times.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Never had that happen, works on my machine etc.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
iPhone thread motherfuckers be like

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

We can’t all be the perfect human specimen they were designed for, Tim Apple.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

I have the exact opposite experience with the lock screen scrubber, in that when I actually want to use it, it is nearly impossible to click and drag. I have to try multiple times to actually grab the drat thing...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Jose Oquendo posted:

A third party battery is a waste of money. You have no idea what you’re actually getting and it’s a great way to burn your house down. It’s absolutely worth paying extra for a repair job from Apple.

Also, don't you geta short warranty that covers the repair, too?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
A lot of your backmarkets and assorted third party resellers end up with third party batteries in their refurb phones. From experience they don't last as long as OEM batteries, and when you first boot up the phone Apple tells you off via obnoxious pop-ups for a few days, but otherwise, it's absolutely fine. Your house won't burn down.

The refurbisher will probably have their own 12 month warranty that's as comparible to apple's as you can. For most people, it's worth the steep discount on the phone.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Years ago I used an ifixit battery and it worked fine. This was before iOS gave you battery health readouts though so I have no idea how it performed, health-wise, but I didn't get any messages or errors.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Just saw that little icon for taking 3D photos and videos on my phone now. Not gonna buy a Vision Pro but I don't suppose there's some way to view 3D photos or videos through a Cardboard headset strapped to my phone or anything cheap like that?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Just saw that little icon for taking 3D photos and videos on my phone now. Not gonna buy a Vision Pro but I don't suppose there's some way to view 3D photos or videos through a Cardboard headset strapped to my phone or anything cheap like that?

I believe it's still just side by side format stuff, so yeah you can watch whatever you shoot in any VR headset. Though I think all the standards for phone VR have been killed off now, so you can't download the runtimes that make Cardboard or Daydream work officially any more.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I just bought a MagSafe charger because I was so sick of plugging the cable into my iPhone or having to put it on a charger stand. It’s a nice puck. It’s a $30 puck. I wish they’d just have a magnetized usb-c connection though.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I just bought a MagSafe charger because I was so sick of plugging the cable into my iPhone or having to put it on a charger stand. It’s a nice puck. It’s a $30 puck. I wish they’d just have a magnetized usb-c connection though.

Like this? https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Charging-CAFELE-Braided-Compatible/dp/B08BLJ62J8?th=1

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Yeah but those things I’ve read have questionable reliability. They can get really warm. I’m pretty concerned that it’ll damage my device. It’d be cool if a reputable company made something like that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vegetable posted:

Consider using a command strip to stick it to whatever surface you got it on, or pulling your phone off it will get irritating. Especially if you got stupid loose wall outlets like I do, where a week or two of cable wiggles will dislodge it from the wall.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I bought a Belkin one last week. I’m having our library 3D print a MagSafe holder modified for the Belkin I saw on Thingiverse, hopefully that will work.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

So I can use that in my car and not have to fully plug and unplug for carplay constantly? That's about the only time I plug in my phone lately.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wired CarPlay can suck a nut, there is no way to prevent my head unit from cutting instantly to FM RADIO AT MAXXXXX VOLUME the moment I unplug the phone that I was listening to a quiet podcast on. Only way to avoid it is to just keep using Bluetooth to the native ford sync UI and and pretend CarPlay doesn't exist.

I'm hoping someday I get a car with wireless CarPlay and it works even marginally better or has evidence of even one full day spent in the car by a QA tester

E: I realize this is a ford problem and not a CarPlay problem

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Feb 15, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The second I bought a car with CarPlay I also picked up an aftermarket wireless CarPlay adapter and it's probably the best $100 investment in convenience I can remember in years.

I use the OttoCast U2-Air but there are any number of similar units.

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

How is that adapter?

Every time I read reviews of them, even the positive reviews mention substantial latency and odd selection artifacts (as if you were using non-touch controls)

I’d love an adapter if I could find a cool and good one

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wireless CarPlay sometimes picks the wrong phone and it’s not super easy in our Ford to pick the other one.

Also it will keep playing a podcast literally until you exit the car and shut the door which is okay but kind of weird. I wish it would stop when you shut off the engine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There IS noticeable latency but I've become so used to it that I don't really .. notice .. it. Sorry that was a poor way of phrasing it. Like I've become so used to it that it's natural to me. I think a lot of it depends on what you do with carplay. When I'm just moving the cursor around and pressing pause/ff on music/podcasts/etc it's fine. It's maybe a few milliseconds.

When I hit the controls on my steering wheel for Siri I DO have to hold it for maybe a second or a second and a half before I hear the chime and know to start talking.

When I notice it most is when I'm using the nav joystick on my scroll wheel and panning around maps. It's very much a "click left, wait , see map update" which is way more noticeable because it's something I actually EXPECT to be timely based on my interaction with maps in a non-carplay setting.

Phone calls don't feel like they have any latency at all, but it's also very much a half duplex activity where I probably wouldn't notice it anyway.

I don't really know what a typical person's carplay use looks like so YMMV but I think the two things I can boil this down to is:

- For MY use, it has become seamless, and any "workarounds" I've become so accustomed to that I don't even consider them as annoyances. In fact I forget the latency exists. But ...
- ... even know that I remembered the latency exists, I still wouldn't go back to wired.

e: My Benzo does the same thing, it keeps playing podcasts/audio until I close the door.

e2: Oh and my carplay is entirely joystick based so I can't really comment on any other interaction. I actually expect that's a big part of why I don't care about the lag at all. If I was swiping around the screen with my finger I would probably expect it to be way way more responsive.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 15, 2024

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Oh wow, I hadn’t realized the increased latency in our new car was due to the wireless CarPlay. That makes total sense.

Stuff like skipping songs is noticeable slower vs our 2016 model car.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know how it is right now as our car is 2018, but automakers up to that point were notorious for putting the shittiest least responsive touchscreens possible into their dashes. It makes even wired carplay feel slow because the screen takes two or three pokes to register you issued a command.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's weird because my previous car, 2013 Dodge Dart GT with a resistive screen had insane speeds - even better than my wifes new Jeep Compass from 2020. Hers is so drat bad. I now have a 2024 Subaru Forester Sport and its pretty quick. Not sure what voodoo I had in that card - some type of ssd/m2 whatever.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Vintersorg posted:

It's weird because my previous car, 2013 Dodge Dart GT with a resistive screen had insane speeds - even better than my wifes new Jeep Compass from 2020. Hers is so drat bad. I now have a 2024 Subaru Forester Sport and its pretty quick. Not sure what voodoo I had in that card - some type of ssd/m2 whatever.

Haha, I had a 2015 Dodge Dart and I agree, the "UConnect" system on it was actually pretty nice (for 2015). By nice, I mean that of course it was still kinda trash because all car entertainment systems are, but it was at least fast and responsive.

No Android Auto or Carplay, but I think those were really new in 2015 so it made sense it didn't support those.

You and I might have been one of the dozen people who actually had Dodge Darts

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So I have 2 garage door openers that I have in HomeKit via a Meross wifi module (gently caress you myQ). On my Carplay multiview screen, when I get close to home, it will pick one of the two openers to put in the lower right. 99% of the time when I come home, I open the door that I park inside. I'd say probably 2/3 of the time it shows the correct "open this door" button on my screen, but 1/3 of the time it shows the button for the other door. Is there any way to specify which one it shows?

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

Thanks for the info on latency

I’ve never used a native CarPlay wireless, and only briefly saw one adapter that a friend owns. We have two vehicles wired CarPlay as comparison.

So far our results are consistent with the discussion above with different manufacturers and implementations. The 2016 VW implementation is better than the 2021 Toyota. But, neither have substantial delays in pausing audio, skipping tracks, usage of wheel controls.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Why does Bitwarden make me put in my master password every time I want to auto fill a password? It makes moving to a new phone annoying having to do the master password every single time I want to autofill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Blurb3947 posted:

Why does Bitwarden make me put in my master password every time I want to auto fill a password? It makes moving to a new phone annoying having to do the master password every single time I want to autofill.

Enable unlock with Face ID under settings in the Bitwarden app, that way you won’t have to enter your bitwarden password every time you use it to auto fill.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 16, 2024