Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

carrionman posted:

Got a live one at work, semi retired boomer who lives off the income from the three rentals he bought 30 years ago, as well as a pension, while bitching about how kids today have it too easy. Also super into steampunk.

Anyway, he was telling me that he's started investing more and more money into bitcoin because it's better than being in the bank and safer than buying houses (note, we're in New Zealand, no one loving loses money on housing here, that's why no one can afford it)
I asked if he'd pulled any money out and he said no, not when it's going up in value so fast.

Apparently his son told him to be very careful, but "he's a weed smoking IT guy who doesn't own his own house, I'm not getting financial advice from him"
Besides, he's been doing his research online and bitcoin is safe.

This is the definitive Aotearoa experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
“Steampunk Boomer” is a good forum name

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Scratch Monkey posted:

“Steampunk Boomer” is a good forum name

Also, "Boomer Steampunk" sounds like the worst possible iteration of the genre.

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

carrionman posted:

Besides, he's been doing his research online and bitcoin is safe.

:lmao:

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

funds are safuUUUU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Once my funds go TO THE MOON no one can reach them.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
this is also true of funds that sink so low that they hit the subduction zone and become one with the earth's magma

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Old friend calls me out of the blue, is genuinely excited to get me to buy bitcoin, both coins and ETFs.

Dude gets a little manic at times, so I'm not concerned, but he keeps going on about "some big event" happening in two months, that is going to send Bitcoin soaring.
Is anything actually happening, or is this completely made up by people selling Bitcoin?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
In two months everyone with Bitcoin has to cut their dick in half. It's called the halfing.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I think Bitcoin is stupid, a failed experiment. The only real use case for it is separating fools from their money.

Remember that old saw about how Joe Kennedy Senior pulled out of the stock market the same day that his shoe shine boy offered him stock advice? Well, when I opened my PayPal account, I saw that PAYPAL was selling crypto currency, that was my Joe Kennedy moment. Not that I ever had anything invested in crypto, but the realization that there is a bubble forming, and unqualified idiots are chasing it.

So on a lark I bought $100 worth at a little over 16k. And now it's up to like $270?
I've been trying to make this a lesson to my crypto-addled associates, but they just get psycho angry when I tell them that I'm glad that I DID NOT invest my lifesavings in Bitcoin.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The halving has happened thrice before and it wasn't really a big deal, besides it being a thing to talk about.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

SettingSun posted:

The halving has happened thrice before and it wasn't really a big deal, besides it being a thing to talk about.

You can fold a piece of paper in half only 7-8 times. Bitcoin is not made of paper so it can probably survive no more than 4 times.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

SettingSun posted:

I have good news related to the bolded statement about how Ponzi schemes grow.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

In 2 months your friend is going to lose a lot of money.

Is there some way I can put a short call on your friend?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I used to think it was fine if people wanted to gamble on speculative stuff like Bitcoin, dumb but ultimately if you know the risks and that it is all made up go for it. I've since changed my thinking on that, investing in cryptos is unethical even if you're aware it's all smoke and mirrors and are hoping to take advantage of the volatility. The environmental impact and it's ubiquitous use by criminals pushes it past an innocent gamble.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I know a guy that to this day still believes in buttcoin etc. I refuse to comment when he brings it up anymore, it's not worth the effort. That being said, there's a few other things he's interested in that he isn't knowledgeable on but thinks he's an expert, which tracks for the whole culture and looool.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Another Bill posted:

In 2 months your friend is going to lose a lot of money.

Is there some way I can put a short call on your friend?

Tell your insurance company that you're Walmart and you want to buy life insurance for an employee.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Bitcoin is already a dunning-kruger magnet, add in boomer landlord who's lived his life on easy mode and lol yeah you're never gonna get him out of that. It's a self-reinforcing cult.

You know that King of the Hill episode where the sorority cult tries to brainwash Luanne, but she's too slow for it to really take, but they get Peggy under their spell instantly? They're like Peggy.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Squashy Nipples posted:

Old friend calls me out of the blue, is genuinely excited to get me to buy bitcoin, both coins and ETFs.

Dude gets a little manic at times, so I'm not concerned, but he keeps going on about "some big event" happening in two months, that is going to send Bitcoin soaring.
Is anything actually happening, or is this completely made up by people selling Bitcoin?

it's the "halvening" and coiners are convinced it magically sends the price up (rather than it being boosted by coincidental pumps). Amy and I have been hacking away at an article on this just today.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

buttcoin

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

divabot posted:

it's the "halvening" and coiners are convinced it magically sends the price up (rather than it being boosted by coincidental pumps). Amy and I have been hacking away at an article on this just today.

I'm pretty sure everything magically sends the price up (through wash trading and printing more tether fun bucks) until major holders decide they want to cash out at the expense of greater rubes. Sure was a good idea to allow the creation of those ETFs though :rolleyes:

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
There’s etfs for tons of dumb poo poo, whatever. You can buy etfs for giant metal ‘airships’ so heavy that they’ll never float even if you filled an empty one with hot air.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Got a text by someone I hadn’t heard from in like a decade telling me about how great crypto is and I should get in on this credit card or something. I told him no and that crypto is just a Ponzi scheme and he told me it was just fud and he always thought I was intelligent so it’s weird that I’m not getting why this is great

Should I go all in?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Gutcruncher posted:

Got a text by someone I hadn’t heard from in like a decade telling me about how great crypto is and I should get in on this credit card or something. I told him no and that crypto is just a Ponzi scheme and he told me it was just fud and he always thought I was intelligent so it’s weird that I’m not getting why this is great

Should I go all in?

call him back on a different number and scam his rear end, he believes himself over-intelligent and will be an easy mark

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
if you hear any noise it's just me and the boys boppin

https://twitter.com/TiffanyFong_/status/1759766268385935564

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm glad he made friends

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
this is good for bitcoin

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Beached Whale posted:

if you hear any noise it's just me and the boys boppin

https://twitter.com/TiffanyFong_/status/1759766268385935564

Lmao

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Awwww, after his March sentencing he's gonna have to leave his fweinds

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

okay why is everyone except sam and the dude next to him have their faces blocked out.
edit: nevermind its because she interviewed the guy and got permission.. his name is "g lock" :cool:

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Isn't he supposed to be sitting on a couch in front of them or has the meme evolved?

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
SBF should start lifting and get some tats

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I’d say he could ingratiate himself to his fellow prisoners by being their financial advisor but I guess that’s not a good idea

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I guess he made the right bird noise to tall flacco from the bronx

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Scratch Monkey posted:

I’d say he could ingratiate himself to his fellow prisoners by being their financial advisor but I guess that’s not a good idea

Andy Bankman-Dufresne

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My friend G Lock.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
we got our piece on the halving out, I think it covers everything you need to know:

1. miners are screwed lol
2. everything else is memes and bullshit

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
So this current jump in price is the miners manipulating the market to continue to be seen as being profitable, so they can continue to get real money from idiot hedge funds?

At some point, I assume that spigot will run dry as AI is the new shiny

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Betjeman posted:

So this current jump in price is the miners manipulating the market to continue to be seen as being profitable, so they can continue to get real money from idiot hedge funds?

At some point, I assume that spigot will run dry as AI is the new shiny

soon AI will mine bitcoin and run the scams, so labor cost will go down. hell we don't even need the deep pocket dummies, AI can just scam other AI for fake credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

divabot posted:

we got our piece on the halving out, I think it covers everything you need to know:

1. miners are screwed lol
2. everything else is memes and bullshit

It's almost hilarious how they magically got price above the 51k mark in advance.