Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

keep punching joe posted:

Is that not Vanilla os or am I missing something?

Edit : nm I'm confusing it with distrobox, think I learned about both at the same time.

BlendOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

NihilCredo posted:

Does anyone know a fast PDF reader for Linux?

Try Zathura or Sioyek.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Armauk posted:

Try Zathura or Sioyek.

God drat I just tried out zathura (tempted by it having ebook support, I don't much like okular for ebooks) and it is fast.

However, it doesn't handle some things right. For ex, a pdf that switches some pages between portrait and landscape mode doesn't work. The landscape pages are incorrectly shown in portrait cropped off.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Yeah that was the one, of the approx 500 trendy distros of the past year.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

dipping my toes into trying to run linux as my main OS again. Running into a lot of pitfalls that mostly have to do with my nvidia graphics card. Arch has actually been my most successful attempt to date, but yesterday something happened that caused my wayland desktop to crash on boot. I narrowed it down to something in my config folder, as creating a new user, logging into a wayland session, and copying that user's config folder over to my old user fixed the issue.

Since I'm on arch, I don't have a backup solution set up yet. I'm looking for something that'll take relatively frequent snapshots and let me roll back changes without too much hassle. Any suggestions?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Read the last 2-3 pages of this thread.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

I have and its mostly arguing about which distro is the least bad and which pdf reader one who plays wargames should use.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

HKR posted:

Since I'm on arch, I don't have a backup solution set up yet. I'm looking for something that'll take relatively frequent snapshots and let me roll back changes without too much hassle. Any suggestions?

I have used borg and restic, lately a lot of restic (working with 50 TiB). Both are pretty good. It's easy to use restic with rclone, which was my main reason for going with it. borg is coming out with a new version imminently but I don't know how reliable it will be for the first while.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

NihilCredo posted:

If you mean the BTRFS discussion... it's not really backup, even if it has snapshots.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

HKR posted:

dipping my toes into trying to run linux as my main OS again. Running into a lot of pitfalls that mostly have to do with my nvidia graphics card. Arch has actually been my most successful attempt to date, but yesterday something happened that caused my wayland desktop to crash on boot. I narrowed it down to something in my config folder, as creating a new user, logging into a wayland session, and copying that user's config folder over to my old user fixed the issue.

What file system are you using? If you have btrfs (and the right subvolumes setup) you can use it to snapshot stuff.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Btrfs#Snapshots

That's a lightweight and quick way to backup locally. Though you should still have an off-device backup and and offsite backup too.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

What file system are you using? If you have btrfs (and the right subvolumes setup) you can use it to snapshot stuff.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Btrfs#Snapshots

That's a lightweight and quick way to backup locally. Though you should still have an off-device backup and and offsite backup too.

I'm using ext4. I'm not unapposed to starting fresh again with btrfs, but I mostly stuck with standard defaults when using the arch install script.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

mawarannahr posted:

If you mean the BTRFS discussion... it's not really backup, even if it has snapshots.

IMO, you can count a BTRFS snapshot as one of your 3-2-1 backups, though you still need the other parts of that strategy of course.

Edit:

HKR posted:

I'm using ext4. I'm not unapposed to starting fresh again with btrfs, but I mostly stuck with standard defaults when using the arch install script.

I believe you can use snapper to automate the whole BTRFS snapshoting and uploading to an off-device/off-site storage device too. Snapshots would be (near) instant and provide a very quick and easy way to roll back locally on your machine, while more fulsome backups offsite will allow recovery on a new device if you have a total system failure.

You could also try to use a snapshot script like this and then whatever other traditional backup tool for your off-device backups.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 15, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

IMO, you can count a BTRFS snapshot as one of your 3-2-1 backups, though you still need the other parts of that strategy of course.
it's brave to post that

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'll go ahead and agree with this statement when taken as a whole.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Phosphine posted:

The solution here is to always have firefox open!

Or run several Firefoxes with different profiles and configure PDFs and URLs to open with specific profile. At work I have setup WinURL to open normal URLs with Firefox, but if the address matches with our ticketing system it will automatically open with MS Edge.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

HKR posted:

git?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Ok, result of the various PDF reader suggestions for future searchers:

- Okular (with "greedy" caching) is pretty slow at loading new pages, but it does indeed hold pretty much the whole book in memory and scrolling is near-instant. It also has a ton of features. While doing so it does however eat 2GB of RAM (sure, fine) and peg one of the CPU cores at 100%. However, missing point: it's unable to open PDF files in a SSHFS folder from Dolphin.

- xpdf doesn´t like those newfangled scroll wheels much, and is generally as barebones as it gets (eg. no bookmarks or dual layout, no chance of SSHFS either), but it is indeed very fast and uses barely any resources while doing so.

- Xournal++ crashes after a few seconds of scrolling

- I used to use PDF X-Change Viewer as well on Windows and it hasn´t disappointed under Wine (running it as a temporary command via Lutris Flatpak). It is by far the fastest - the whole file is immediately available for instant scrolling (nothing else does does this), every page, absolutely zero latency, no CPU thrashing either. Now I just need to figure out if I can integrate it into "native" KDE Dolphin, double click to open and such, and probably firewall it since it's still proprietary software after all.

- Evince is actually the app name for the Document Viewer I was talking about originally. I ran the suggested dconf command and the main difference was that it started crashing.

- Zathura is a little bit slower than Firefox

- Sioyek is slower than Zathura

- Bonus: I realized that I also have Ungoogled Chromium installed, and as a PDF reader it's a bit faster than Firefox - not significantly, but it does have the nice bonus of not mixing the PDFs I am reading with the dozens of tabs I have open. I'd say it's comparable to Okular, but it doesn´t thrash the CPU and it does open files from SSHFS folders without complaints.

So, verdict: I'm going to set Chromium as my reader for the time being, but I'm going to look at setting up a more integrated Wine runtime so I can run PDF X-Change and a few other nice Windows apps.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Regardless of whether a snapshot counts as one of your backups*, btrfs has very easy incremental backups with send and receive. This is how easy my backups are on my btrfs volume:
code:
sudo btrfs subvolume snapshot -r /home/data /home/data/.snapshots/$TODAY
sudo btrfs send -p /home/data/.snapshots/OLD /home/data/.snapshots/NEW | sudo btrfs receive /mnt/backup/data
Much quicker and easier than the other backup jobs using rsync.

*not really, but if you weren't gonna do the full 3-2-1 in the first place then it's at least something. 2-1½-1?

Like, I run a mirror for my data. Despite the constant "raid is not a backup" refrain, it's a layer of safety against the thing that's caused all my past data loss -- device failures -- so I don't have to be quite as paranoid about my external backups.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Klyith posted:

However, it doesn't handle some things right. For ex, a pdf that switches some pages between portrait and landscape mode doesn't work. The landscape pages are incorrectly shown in portrait cropped off.
There could be a way to fix that cropping in the configuration.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

Regardless of whether a snapshot counts as one of your backups*, btrfs has very easy incremental backups with send and receive. This is how easy my backups are on my btrfs volume:
code:
sudo btrfs subvolume snapshot -r /home/data /home/data/.snapshots/$TODAY
sudo btrfs send -p /home/data/.snapshots/OLD /home/data/.snapshots/NEW | sudo btrfs receive /mnt/backup/data
Much quicker and easier than the other backup jobs using rsync.

*not really, but if you weren't gonna do the full 3-2-1 in the first place then it's at least something. 2-1½-1?

Like, I run a mirror for my data. Despite the constant "raid is not a backup" refrain, it's a layer of safety against the thing that's caused all my past data loss -- device failures -- so I don't have to be quite as paranoid about my external backups.

What happens with incrementals if you defrag BTRFS?
Because the extents getting unshared seems like it'd also break that, similar to how it breaks snapshots.

Also, since I can't find documentation on it, what happens if you delete snapshots on the sending side but keep them on the receiving side, while doing incrementals?

As for mirror (or any other RAID topology, except the obvious one), it's all in service of availability.
Redundancy comes in the form of backups, and depending on how much money you can throw at your storage, things like SAS Multipath to ensure that even a controller dying won't affect availability of the data.
Serviceability can be frustrating, though - but most server vendors don't really follow all of the RAS engineering principles.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I don't think manually defragging btrfs is recommended these days.
And I assume that unsynchronized deleting of snapshots has the same effect as it has on zfs.
By which I mean that it works fine mostly until everything breaks with an unintuitive error message that leads you to a dive into the documentation where you find a command line option that would have prevented all problems, but the explanation makes no sense if you hadn't experienced the problem before. The option is called --use-hold on syncoid.

Anyways, snapshots absolutely fulfil the actual core use of backups very well, in that they enable rollbacks or mounting the backup and looking for that old file. And zfs-send and btrfs-send on snapshots are extremely efficient ways to do the mirroring if you target your local NAS.
I use something else for offsite backups, but if I knew a reasonably priced backup place that accepted either send I would switch.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I look the manual commands for btrfs and find it scary. Are there distro blessed tools that will give tooling and a minimal front end? I get the impression that OpenZFS is much more mature with tooling.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
btrfs balance doesn't do anything to snapshots. Balancing is the thing you're supposed to do periodically* to reduce chunk fragmentation.

code:
/home/data/.snapshots/
2022-11-02
2023-04-27
2023-12-17
2024-01-31
Deleting older snapshots on either drive has, afaik, no impact on this process. I used to have more snapshots in those gaps. I do not have the entire set of snapshots exactly the same on both drives, and don't believe that is required. The only important one for the send process is the most recent sync to use as a parent.

So if I ran my backup today, I'd first make a new snapshot /home/data/.snapshots/2024-02-16. Then I'd run:
sudo btrfs send -p /home/data/.snapshots/2024-01-31 /home/data/.snapshots/2024-02-16 | sudo btrfs receive /mnt/backup/data

I don't know what would happen if I first deleted 2024-01-31 on the backup drive and then tried to send using that from the source drive. I should do that and see what happens.

*In the list of things that I think are bad about btrfs, this is the biggest: the docs recommend periodic scrub & balance, but not all distros seem to set that up by default. I think that's what happened to Bark! A Vagrant a few pages ago. The FS had never been balanced in years and ran out of space while trying to unfrag itself.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

waffle iron posted:

I look the manual commands for btrfs and find it scary. Are there distro blessed tools that will give tooling and a minimal front end? I get the impression that OpenZFS is much more mature with tooling.

Timeshift: Mint-run noob friendly GUI tool. Unfortunately has limited configurability, so btrfs snapshots don't work if your system is set up differently from the Ubuntu/Mint style. (But is usable with other distros -- it's on the Fedora live boot and I think works out of the box there.)

Snapper: Suse-run system snapshot tool that integrates tightly with Suse package management but is usable in other distros.

btrbk: general snapshot backup for arbitrary btrfs volumes. This seems to me to be even more complicated to set up than just reading the btrfs docs, but if you wanted automated periodic snapshots it does that.

The tools that are the most polished are the stuff designed for root snapshots and rollback, because that's the primary way the btrfs gets used. What ZFS tools were you looking to find equivalents for?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I really like sanoid/syncoid fro zfs. Snapper seems to be as good as sanoid. But there seems to be no mature tool to manage snapper optimised sends as well as syncoid. Or at least they have much worse documentation.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
After loving with btrfs on /home for a few years, I went to lvm+ext4 (/home is spanning 2 drives) about a year ago, and just back stuff up with tar and move to NAS, which gets uploaded to B2. Zfs, btrfs are good and complex and feature-full filesystems but for a personal computer this all seems so over the top.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Rookie linux question here:

I created a Rocky Linux VM. I locked the root account on install but forgot to mark my user account an 'Administrator'. So when I got everything installed and tried to update packages, I couldn't use sudo because my user wasn't a member of that group.

What's the fix for that? So I can use sudo with my user?

I ended up just wiping and reinstalling but now I'm just curious.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You’d have to su to root and add that user to the right group (often wheel but sometimes sudo) by editing /etc/group or using one of the similarly named programs like groupadd or something (I can’t keep them straight).

If you don’t know the root password for su or login, you can boot into “single user mode” and go from there.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Subjunctive posted:

You’d have to su to root and add that user to the right group (often wheel but sometimes sudo) by editing /etc/group or using one of the similarly named programs like groupadd or something (I can’t keep them straight).

If you don’t know the root password for su or login, you can boot into “single user mode” and go from there.

I don't have a great grasp of it but I wasn't able to su to root, and I'm guessing it's because the root user was locked on install? Maybe I was fat-fingering the password.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Hughmoris posted:

I don't have a great grasp of it but I wasn't able to su to root, and I'm guessing it's because the root user was locked on install? Maybe I was fat-fingering the password.

If you don't set a PW for root, yeah. It's locked by default now, and you need to make sure your regular user is an administrator.

Otherwise, you get to practice something that might be a RHEL certification task (they teach it in the classes, too)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hughmoris posted:

If it doesn’t give root a password and it lets you create only a non-administrator user, the installer devs should be given a moderate-to-severe noogie, IMO.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

If it doesn’t give root a password and it lets you create only a non-administrator user, the installer devs should be given a moderate-to-severe noogie, IMO.

This is true, but you also have to remember that Unix and Unix-like systems assume you know what you're doing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AlexDeGruven posted:

This is true, but you also have to remember that Unix and Unix-like systems assume you know what you're doing.

Which is a pretty counterfactual position, from my 30 years of Linux experience.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Which is a pretty counterfactual position, from my 30 years of Linux experience.

Considering some of the people I've worked with, you're not wrong.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

AlexDeGruven posted:

Otherwise, you get to practice something that might be a RHEL certification task (they teach it in the classes, too)
Look up shell code for the latest local privilege escalation exploit?

Not that I've ever done that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It would be unseemly.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Look up shell code for the latest local privilege escalation exploit?

Nah, much easier ways. It's the same way you would access a system without knowing any passwords at all.

This is where "physical access is full access" comes from. Because it's true.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

Nah, much easier ways. It's the same way you would access a system without knowing any passwords at all.

This is where "physical access is full access" comes from. Because it's true.

Physical access and the LUKS password, nowadays. Unless you're one of those people that self-sabotage by storing it in the TPM.

Asides from that, I guess you are alluding to "boot from a recovery drive / bootloader, then overwrite /etc/shadow and/or /etc/passwd"?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Nope.

LUKS can definitely complicate things, but I don't think the cert covers that yet. And probably wouldn't. That's one of the dangers of full disk encryption, there's a non-zero chance of loving the entire system and requiring a rebuild and data restore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

AlexDeGruven posted:

Nah, much easier ways. It's the same way you would access a system without knowing any passwords at all. it's true.
Shell code doesn't require a reboot.