Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
just set it to 60 or 30 op itll look fine and you wont stress your gpu so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Phlegmish posted:

Huh. I thought it was automatically limited by your monitor's refresh rate.
The display is limited that way, so you can't visibly get FPS above that, but if a game is shittily made then it might force the GPU to do the calculations for more frames even if the monitor can't display them.

Like explosivo said, setting a FPS limit in your graphics card's control panel will prevent this. If you've ever played a game with simple graphics that nonetheless makes your graphics card's fan start blasting, that's why.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Unless Steam is wrong, I got the cheat code (which is free) for Capcom's second Stadium pack from the FIghting Bundle and I don't have any games for it. I must be wrong earlier since it was only the games and no music, cheat, or frame. Still a fine bundle for playing ancient games.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

The display is limited that way, so you can't visibly get FPS above that, but if a game is shittily made then it might force the GPU to do the calculations for more frames even if the monitor can't display them.

Like explosivo said, setting a FPS limit in your graphics card's control panel will prevent this. If you've ever played a game with simple graphics that nonetheless makes your graphics card's fan start blasting, that's why.

I didn't know that. I just felt vaguely proud when my beastly rig would 'theoretically' get 300 FPS in some older game. Going to limit it to 144 right now.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Most played Next Fest demos according to Valve. Unless otherwise noted, these demos are still available (demos I've played are bolded for no real reason):

1) Dungeonborne (demo no longer available)
2) Stormgate (demo no longer available)
3) Pacific Drive
4) Homeworld 3 (demo no longer available)
5) Backpack Battles
6) Dread Dawn
7) Millenia
8) Balatro
9) Rotwood
10) Deviator
11) Dungeon Stalkers
12) Soulmask
13) Lightyear Frontier
14) Star Trucker
15) Backrooms
16) Terratech Worlds
17) Astral Party
18) Never Grave
19) Tribes 3: Rivals
20) Synergy
21) Shapez 2
22) Orc Warchief
23) Abiotic Factor
24) Incursion Red River
25) Children of the Sun
26) Gatekeeper
27) Realm of Ink
28) Mullet Mad Jack
29) Serum
30) Maniac
31) Oddsparks: An Automation Adventure
32) Welcome to Paradize
33) Supermarket Simulator
34) Summerhouse
35) Outcast: A New Beginning
36) Diceomancer
37) Biogun
38) Echo Point Nova
39) Ultros
40) Nimrods: Guncraft Survivor
41) Ingression
42) Thrive: Heavy Lies the Crown
43) Yet Another Fantasy Title
44) Pepper Grinder
45) Internet Cafe Evolution

i only played 8 of the top 45 demos... my tastes and the broader Steam community's don't have much overlap I guess

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

The 7th Guest posted:

Most played Next Fest demos according to Valve. Unless otherwise noted, these demos are still available (demos I've played are bolded for no real reason):

1) Dungeonborne (demo no longer available)
2) Stormgate (demo no longer available)
3) Pacific Drive
4) Homeworld 3 (demo no longer available)
5) Backpack Battles
6) Dread Dawn
7) Millenia
8) Balatro
9) Rotwood
10) Deviator
11) Dungeon Stalkers
12) Soulmask
13) Lightyear Frontier
14) Star Trucker
15) Backrooms
16) Terratech Worlds
17) Astral Party
18) Never Grave
19) Tribes 3: Rivals
20) Synergy
21) Shapez 2
22) Orc Warchief
23) Abiotic Factor
24) Incursion Red River
25) Children of the Sun
26) Gatekeeper
27) Realm of Ink
28) Mullet Mad Jack
29) Serum
30) Maniac
31) Oddsparks: An Automation Adventure
32) Welcome to Paradize
33) Supermarket Simulator
34) Summerhouse
35) Outcast: A New Beginning
36) Diceomancer
37) Biogun
38) Echo Point Nova
39) Ultros
40) Nimrods: Guncraft Survivor
41) Ingression
42) Thrive: Heavy Lies the Crown
43) Yet Another Fantasy Title
44) Pepper Grinder
45) Internet Cafe Evolution

i only played 8 of the top 45 demos... my tastes and the broader Steam community's don't have much overlap I guess

I tried to check out Dungeonborne but noticed it installed Anti Cheat Expert and uninstall does not remove it. Screw that.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Anyone here try the Tomb Raider I-III Remaster? I have the original versions on GOG (in fact, I have TR1 installed), but I considered getting the remaster just so I wouldn't have to mess around with tweaking the old version to run in a higher resolution. It sounds like there's a few little tweaks to the games overall (saw there was an option for a modern control scheme, but I was able to run through the first level of the game fine on the old version).

I've been meaning to play through the Tomb Raider series for a couple of years now, but I keep putting it off.

EDIT: Looks like it comes with the expansions for each game, which I don't think are included by default on the GOG version (at least not with TR1)

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 15, 2024

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Nextfest was just sad for me. There's basically nothing coming out I'm interested in. Doesn't help that a not insignificant amount of them are just worse copies of games I already played the good version of.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I have a hard coded, baked in level of nostalgia for Tomb Raider despite never properly playing the original trilogy. Locking the butler in the freezer and toying around in literally the first cave of TR1 is the full extent of my exposure to those games.

Bought the gently caress out of that trilogy yesterday though. PS1 era remaster collections is something I'm ready to support. I would do.. disgusting things to see this applied to stuff like Resident Evil, Ridge Racer, Wipeout and Tekken.

Feeling pretty stoked about playing these for the first time though, especially the first game.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Nextfest was just sad for me. There's basically nothing coming out I'm interested in. Doesn't help that a not insignificant amount of them are just worse copies of games I already played the good version of.

There was only like three or four games I was interested in, but I'm VERY interested in those. Which is about equal to the typical Nextfest that has more games I'm interested in but only in a "eh, we'll wait and see" kind of way.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
There’s something incredibly cozy about Tomb Raider 1-3 that is only comparable to Doom 1 & 2.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Whitenoise Poster posted:

i wishlisted like 30 games from it lol

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Max Wilco posted:

Anyone here try the Tomb Raider I-III Remaster? I have the original versions on GOG (in fact, I have TR1 installed), but I considered getting the remaster just so I wouldn't have to mess around with tweaking the old version to run in a higher resolution. It sounds like there's a few little tweaks to the games overall (saw there was an option for a modern control scheme, but I was able to run through the first level of the game fine on the old version).

I've been meaning to play through the Tomb Raider series for a couple of years now, but I keep putting it off.

EDIT: Looks like it comes with the expansions for each game, which I don't think are included by default on the GOG version (at least not with TR1)
It certainly looks much better and there were a couple additions to make the game handle better. You are still dealing with PSX design and the camera is still a dick. There is still the earlier remakes if you hate dealing with the camera and old design.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Max Wilco posted:

Im really enjoying it. Id kind of forgotten how different the originals are from modern third person action games, there's so much more... exploration? Idk how to put it

It's also got the 'John Walker hates this' seal of approval so you know its good

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Fuligin posted:

Im really enjoying it. Id kind of forgotten how different the originals are from modern third person action games, there's so much more... exploration? Idk how to put it

TR1 is definitely way more meditative and quiet. (Hell, to the point where it helped inspire the movie Gerry. :v:) It's a puzzle/exploration platforming game with some combat sprinkled in, rather than the predictable combat setpiece - platforming setpiece - vehicle setpiece pace of more modern games.

IIRC, TR2 already started to shift away from that, and definitely by 3 it's throwing lots of generic bad guys at you and mixing in more not-tomb levels.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Bumhead posted:

I have a hard coded, baked in level of nostalgia for Tomb Raider despite never properly playing the original trilogy. Locking the butler in the freezer and toying around in literally the first cave of TR1 is the full extent of my exposure to those games.

Bought the gently caress out of that trilogy yesterday though. PS1 era remaster collections is something I'm ready to support. I would do.. disgusting things to see this applied to stuff like Resident Evil, Ridge Racer, Wipeout and Tekken.

Feeling pretty stoked about playing these for the first time though, especially the first game.

There's a ton of old PS1 games I'd like to see get some sort of revisit/revival.

Scalding Coffee posted:

It certainly looks much better and there were a couple additions to make the game handle better. You are still dealing with PSX design and the camera is still a dick. There is still the earlier remakes if you hate dealing with the camera and old design.

Fuligin posted:

It's also got the 'John Walker hates this' seal of approval so you know its good

Sounds like it's pretty solid. Like I said, I ran through the first level (and a little bit of the second) and I can see how the camera could get a bit iffy in places, but it didn't seem too bad. I'll look into picking it up tomorrow.

I have to ask (since I'm morbidly curious): why does John Walker hate it?

John Murdoch posted:

TR1 is definitely way more meditative and quiet. (Hell, to the point where it helped inspire the movie Gerry. :v:) It's a puzzle/exploration platforming game with some combat sprinkled in, rather than the predictable combat setpiece - platforming setpiece - vehicle setpiece pace of more modern games.

IIRC, TR2 already started to shift away from that, and definitely by 3 it's throwing lots of generic bad guys at you and mixing in more not-tomb levels.

PRO TIP: "While playing, move one step forward, one step back, spin around three times (turning to the right), and jump back, and Lara will be teleported to the Bonneville Salt Flats map."

That's kind of the same thing that happened with the Resident Evil games, in my opinion. RE1 plays more like adventure game with the combat being more secondary, but with RE2 and especially RE3, there was more of an emphasis on action.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

ZearothK posted:

Also I just remembered during dinner that real time with pause is actually good and the name of real time with pause being good is Dungeon Siege. Have there been any modern games done in a similar vein?

DS II & III are fun if you enjoyed the first. I got the first one when it came out and my son was 2 and sat in my lap to play…he ended up finishing the last two by himself as a kid.

I only bought the first because I didn’t even know what “isometric” meant and it looked like Diablo on the box.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's so over

https://twitter.com/Knoebelbroet/status/1758164619976163598

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It would seem this Disco Elysium... has become Disco Tartarus!!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Now that's disco, baby!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

This is infamous for happening in menu screens.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
What's the dealio with Industries of Titan? The Steam reviews are loudly complaining of an 'abandoned' game, but it had four patches post-release and seems to be functional? My gut feeling is that it's just a bunch of sour grapes, but one doesn't get 'mixed' reviews over a few sour grapes, but rather an awful lot of them.

I'd like to commit to it (as not a lot can run on my potato) but it's obviously not a game you can scratch within the two hour refund window.

edit: Oh my god, it's the same people who have that Necrodancer DLC hanging in the wind for over a year, and released Phantom Brigade to much disappointment and laid off half their staff last year. Oh dear oh dear, these where all things I was looking forward to.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Feb 16, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Serephina posted:

What's the dealio with Industries of Titan? The Steam reviews are loudly complaining of an 'abandoned' game, but it had four patches post-release and seems to be functional? My gut feeling is that it's just a bunch of sour grapes, but one doesn't get 'mixed' reviews over a few sour grapes, but rather an awful lot of them.

I'd like to commit to it (as not a lot can run on my potato) but it's obviously not a game you can scratch within the two hour refund window.

edit: Oh my god, it's the same people who have that Necrodancer DLC hanging in the wind for over a year, and released Phantom Brigade to much disappointment and laid off half their staff last year. Oh dear oh dear, these where all things I was looking forward to.

It's a very shallow game with a one-note gameplay loop. Everything in the game is about mining and refining two different resources to build ships and then fight the bad guys with them - the systems for configuring buildings and building ships are cool but then the combat is extremely dull, so it feels like twiddling fun knobs for no purpose.

It's a shame because the aesthetic is great and so are the supporting systems, there's just nothing to do with them.

Re: updates they released a handful throughout EA but none of them actually improved the game or adjusted the core gameplay loop, every one of them was a minor and mostly cosmetic feature that didn't address any of its issues.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 16, 2024

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How on earth does this illegitimate studio apparently have 47 games in simultaneous development

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I've been thinking of picking up Star Wars: Jedi Survivor for a while, but the game is still quite expensive, even on sale and the reviews have been negative or mixed since it came out.

Are the poor reviews a reflection of the game being terrible, it performing inconsistently, or both?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

How on earth does this illegitimate studio apparently have 47 games in simultaneous development

Disco Elysium sold a lot for an indie textgame. And now most of that is probably gone, lol.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Vasler posted:

I've been thinking of picking up Star Wars: Jedi Survivor for a while, but the game is still quite expensive, even on sale and the reviews have been negative or mixed since it came out.

Are the poor reviews a reflection of the game being terrible, it performing inconsistently, or both?

performance, people seem to like the game itself a lot

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vasler posted:

The second one.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vasler posted:

Performance issues, but its mostly been figured out now with updates. The game otherwise is great.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hmm, I heard most of the Star Wars entertainment products released in recent years were pretty mid, but if this is an actual good SW game I might check it out.

e: Fallen Order is €4.79 despite being released in 2019? Well, okay, I'll buy that

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 16, 2024

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

jedi survivor is very good

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Hmm, I heard most of the Star Wars entertainment products released in recent years were pretty mid, but if this is an actual good SW game I might check it out.

e: Fallen Order is €4.79 despite being released in 2019? Well, okay, I'll buy that

It was the best game released in 2023 imo. Absolutely the best Star Wars title in decades.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I said come in! posted:

It was the best game released in 2023 imo. Absolutely the best Star Wars title in decades.

Excuse you?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Main red flag is the fact that the reviews from the last 30 days are still just as mixed as for the overall period? You'd expect there to be an uptick if they really fixed the performance issues. There's a 10% spread for Cyberpunk 2077, for example

e: but as I said, 88% review score, €4.79 for Fallen Order, don't need more convincing to buy that one

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tiny Timbs posted:

More projects, more subsidies from the government.
(100% speculation)

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I played Jedi Survivor only recently, and performance is still rear end. Not quite ruinous, but pretty poo poo. I have a 13K with a 4080, framerates are high but it consistently stutters on traversal. The game itself is really good though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Digital Foundry put out a Jedi Survivor video about a week ago showing how the PC port is still a mess.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I bought Jedi Survivor earlier this month on sale and I've enjoyed it a lot. I think it is a really good Star Wars game - but then I also really enjoyed the previous one and its take on Souls-like combat and exploration.

That said... the PC performance is dire. I was very close to refunding the game at first. The state of it, nearly a year later, is inexcusably bad, even after 8 updates from Respawn.
  • Every time you launch the game it will act like it is the first time: Optimizing shaders and asking you for basic setup options like audio, brightness, etc. When I was halfway through the game it finally did stop asking me about the first time launch options but it still always forces the optimizing shaders sequence.

• The game feels horribly unoptimized - it can be very beautiful at times and the game is full of complex scenes and action, but you will never have a smooth experience. I would only recommend playing this on hardware that supports the latest DLSS or FSR tech.

• The EA App is known to interfere with Steam Overlay and Steam Input, which means that controller support and achievements can break. Can be worked around.

• You will experience crashes. I had to do replay several boss fights because the game would crash during the cutscenes that followed them, and the game rarely autosaves progress outside the designated meditation spots. This can be due to many things, but one big issue is that the game is extremely demanding on all of your RAM.

• You will not be able to reach the main planet and hub world to witness the game's "true" performance within the 2 hour refund window. You just won't.
If you are okay with all of the above issues and are a fan of the previous game, then I'd say you will probably enjoy it. However, if you can get it on a PS5 or an Xbox... probably do that instead.

I said come in! posted:

Performance issues, but its mostly been figured out now with updates.

Absolutely not.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm waiting for the new star wars game to show up on gamepass. The first one got there eventually so hoping this one will too since the performance still seems to be quite poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Tiny Timbs posted:

Disco Elysium made a lot of money, so the guys that stole the company spun up a bunch of sequels and spinoffs and whatnot, but completely bungled like... actually finishing anything. Classic case of killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.